(Topic ID: 252369)

CC Scammer Accidentally Sent an Order to My House

By mcluvin

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tix2 (resized).PNG
    #1 4 years ago

My CC# was used a couple of weeks ago for fraudulent purchases. The perp accidentally sent an order to my home address with their full name. Unfortunately, not a BM66 It's concert tickets. This is a very unique name and I've found a person with this name in the city where the concert took place. Should I do anything? The concert has already happened, so the tickets are worthless.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Should I do anything?

I'd make a police report. May catch up with the criminal, to help others.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

My CC# was used a couple of weeks ago for fraudulent purchases. The perp accidentally sent an order to my home address with their full name. Unfortunately, not a BM66 It's concert tickets. This is a very unique name and I've found a person with this name in the city where the concert took place. Should I do anything? The concert has already happened, so the tickets are worthless.

Did they at least go all out and get the front row?

#4 4 years ago

I am calling Bullsh** on this one...

#5 4 years ago

Yupp, 1st thing you want to do is ask pinside for advise!! LOL

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Yupp, 1st thing you want to do is ask pinside for advise!! LOL

Well yeah. A significant percentage of Pinside has been scammed in the last few years. You folks are experts

#7 4 years ago

Go find them. That’s a GREAT idea. What could possibly go wrong?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'd make a police report. May catch up with the criminal, to help others.

Yeah, I’m going to do this. The business they bought the tickets from is based in the same city. I figure that may help.

#9 4 years ago

Call the credit card company. If the losses were significant, they may be motivated to pursue.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

I am calling Bullsh** on this one...

tix2 (resized).PNGtix2 (resized).PNG

#11 4 years ago

I’d love to go to the red rocks venue for a show. It looks amazing in the videos I’ve saw.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’d love to go to the red rocks venue for a show. It looks amazing in the videos I’ve saw.

Red rocks is amazing. So pretty you almost don't want to watch the show!

#13 4 years ago

If you have a time machine, I can hook you up

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Call the Lamborghini Lawyer or his pet Pinside client for legal advice.

Added over 4 years ago:

I am retracting the above statement.

#15 4 years ago

I thought a skimmer got me, but not so sure now. Is your home address stored in the CC? I thought it was just name and CC number.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Well yeah. A significant percentage of Pinside has been scammed in the last few years. You folks are experts

Ooooooooh snap !

#17 4 years ago

If this is a real thing, the 1st thing to do is to cancel all your existing credit cards and just get new ones.
    Right after you call the credit card companies and report fraudulent charges that you see to the fraud department.
    Next call to the local police, if you think that person that stole your info is in your area so they can go find the perp.

#18 4 years ago

I'm blown away that Allison Wonderland is booked to headline Red Rocks.

I've seen her a couple of times as an opening act for other bands. She must have gotten popular recently.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Is your home address stored in the CC? I thought it was just name and CC number.

Credit card number, expiration date, your name, service code (for determining what type of card you have and what it's allowed to be used for, such as ATM only, cash only, goods & services, etc), a few bits of info for formatting, space for a PIN, and a checksum.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Credit card number, expiration date, your name, service code (for determining what type of card you have and what it's allowed to be used for, such as ATM only, cash only, goods & services, etc), a few bits of info for formatting, space for a PIN, and a checksum.

Well then it wasn’t a skimmer.

#21 4 years ago

My guess is they ordered the tickets from a site that you’ve used before and it automatically defaulted to your address. Is that even possible?

#22 4 years ago

My guess is they ordered the tickets from a site that you’ve used before and it automatically defaulted to your address. Is that even possible?

Within the last couple of months that happened to me with Walmart. I never shop at Walmart, I'll go out of my way to avoid there in store or online, but I had my credit card on their website from the last time they failed me years ago. One night I saw a $450 charge on my credit card from Walmart and obviously knew it wasn't me. I called, disputed the charge and got the card cancelled. I couldn't figure out how someone would have gotten my card recently, so I went back and logged into my Walmart.com account and low and behold I saw the order for a Tablet and I eventually got the e-mails where it was being shipped to my address too. Someone must have hacked my account and just used the cc on file with Walmart.com to buy it off the site. Not sure what they were trying to pull, but it didn't work out for them.

#23 4 years ago

The charges that went through were from AXS.com and some other site, both of which I'd never used. There was a ticketmaster charge that was held up in pending. I have used ticketmaster, but it was a long time ago. I suspect a salvage yard I purchased a part from the day prior.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I'm blown away that Allison Wonderland is booked to headline Red Rocks.

No shit! I'm a bit disappointed the scammer bought Alison Wonderland tickets.

#25 4 years ago

Your between a rock and hard place. The police won't do anything, they are understaffed and can't even keep up. Do they even issue citations for fraud like this? I thought it was another agency.

#26 4 years ago

I had a scammer use my credit card to purchase Mavericks tickets from themself for $10,000.

According to my CC company the scam is quite common. They put tickets up for sale on a website that sells 3rd party tickets and then they buy them from themselves with your credit card.

Maybe sending the tickets to you further distances themself from the scam? They could possibly prove that they sold tickets and mailed them to the buyer. If the site that was used to sell the tickets can’t prove they used a stolen CC, the site may pay the scammer for the sale and eat the loss to the CC company.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

I had a scammer use my credit card to purchase Mavericks tickets from themself for $10,000.
    According to my CC company the scam is quite common. They put tickets up for sale on a website that sells 3rd party tickets and then they buy them from themselves with your credit card.
    Maybe sending the tickets to you further distances themself from the scam? They could possibly prove that they sold tickets and mailed them to the buyer. If the site that was used to sell the tickets can’t prove they used a stolen CC, the site may pay the scammer for the sale and eat the loss to the CC company.

I kinda wondered about that because they were mailed from the same city. I'd think they'd put my name on the shipping address though if the goal is to make the purchase look legit?

#28 4 years ago

That is an interesting word. I'd talk to the postmaster at your local post office. They really take offense to the US Mail being used in crimes.

#29 4 years ago

Here’s an old ticket scam.

You get a pack of tickets in the mail for your whole family to a Ballgame, or football; something that will take hours. The tickets will come with a nice handwritten note explaining why you got the tickets. Random draw with the city, a past real estate agent that had a sign on the lawn it doesn’t really matter. The plan is to get you out of your house for a couple hours so that they can rob the place blind.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cc-scammer-accidentally-sent-an-order-to-my-house and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.