Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by rolf_martin_062
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0Jukebox-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#1 13 days ago

Still messing around with my Chicago coin jukebox .took a break from it for a few months now back at it ,now only for players 1 and 2 ,when the hundreds score reels are at 900 ,when another 100 is scored the 1000s reel isn't tripped
Checked the relays for 100 and 1000 and the reset relays and they all seem fine
Players 3 and 4 work fine
Where should I look and thanks for all your advice

#2 13 days ago

CC reels are probably the simplest score reels ever designed. That said, they are probably the most problematic score reels ever designed. I know that probably doesn't make logical sense, until you have problems with one and can't ever seem to get it to work.

There are some wiper fingers that travel around a bakelite disc with copper traces on them. These fingers need to have enough tension to make contact, but not too much to cause drag and bind the reels. The 100s reel activates the 1,000s reel when the 100s reel goes from 9 to 0. But not only do you need to make sure the 100s contacts are clean and making good contact with the wipers, but that the 1,000s reel itself is clean and can easily rotate. You can add or remove tension to the wiper fingers, as required, by slightly bending them and clean the copper traces with some scotch-brite pads. I add a little bit of lube to the copper traces to reduce the wiper drag which helps a lot. So check both the 100s and 1,000s reels.

I have 1 CC game and had the same issue as you, but luckily I only have a 2-player game. It took an entire afternoon of continuously adjusting tension, cleaning traces and light lubing the wiping surface as well as the reel mechanisms themselves to get them to be reliable.

Good luck!

#3 13 days ago

Yup, and also, those plugins on the score reels need to be making good contact. I have a couple
2 player versions of Jukebox (Sound Stage). One's in the gameroom in nice shape and problem free.
The other not so nice and those plugins have a way of getting brittle and crack, thus if they're not making
good connection, there can be multiple issues. On the second machine, one of the 2nd players score reel wouldn't
reset at start up, and it was a plugins bad connection. I think I may have soldered it direct to fix that problem..
It could possibly be in the Player Step Up Unit, but very most likely in the score reels..
PS. I now also remember once on a C.C. Hollywood, to make better contact, I put a couple of hair pin clips on
the plugins and it did the trick, (at least for quite awhile)..

#4 13 days ago

Ok thanks but isn't the fact that it happens on both player one and two and that player 3 and 4 work fine point to possibly something else that ties both player one and two together
I'll have a look at those copper wipers two
And I agree those reels are very simple and cheaply made

#5 13 days ago

You might think so yes, but I suspect it not being in the Player Step Up. I could be wrong.
While on the 3rd and/or 4th player, maybe you can squeese in the 100's reel's plugin a little bit,
then tap the 100 point relay and see if the 1,000 score reel energizes when the 100's hit "0"..
Also like mentioned, could be the 100s reel wiper, but even though they have the same problem,
I think both the 3rd and 4th player's issues are within' themselves...
Edit: Same difference, but right, not the 3rd and 4th, but 1st and 2nd player..

#6 12 days ago
Quoted from jdapolito:

Ok thanks but isn't the fact that it happens on both player one and two and that player 3 and 4 work fine point to possibly something else that ties both player one and two together

Nope. The player unit would be the only thing in common, but it only hands off control of the scoring from player to player. So both player's score reels are isolated from each other when the other is active. What you have is a coincidence.

If you start a game and press a 100 point switch repeatedly and the 100s reel goes from 8 to 9 to 0 and the 0 on the 1,000s reel doesn't go to 1 or doesn't always advance to the next number, then you have a 100s score reel issue. If you push on a 1,000 point switch and the 1,000s reel advances every time then the 1,000s reel is good.

Advancing of the 1,000s reel (from 100 point scoring) is only accomplished from a signal from the 100s reel as it turns from 9 to 0. I mean it's possible there's a broken wire on the 1,000s reel coil, but you have an issue somewhere between the 100s and 1,000s reels.

#7 12 days ago

Hi
the wiring in the pin might be a bit other than shown in the schematics. Greetings Rolf

0Jukebox-Work-03 (resized).jpg
#8 11 days ago

Thanks everyone for your input ,I will check those wipers and as far as pushing the plug in on the hundreds reels I can't ,my plugs we're all cracked and didn't sit tight so I soldered the wires directly to the circuit boards.ill check my solder joints ,
Now I'm getting paranoid ,maybe I crossed a wire on those two reels ,can anyone send me a pic of the wiring on the hundreds score reels plugs for players one and two ,
And thanks for your trouble to take the pics
Also Rolfe are the circuits you highlighted those cube relays in the back head ?
Thanks again,this pin has been the hardest for me to get straightened out

#9 11 days ago

Hi jdapolito
the schematics says "100 to 900 Drum Unit(s)" - when the Drum-Unit for Player-1 happens to be in 9th position: A connection is made "wire-Blu-R to wire-Y", when the Drum-Unit for Player-2 happens to be in 9th position: A connection is made "wire-Blu-Y to wire-Y" etc.
So a wire-Y runs in some way connecting one side of these Drum-Units --- connecting all the Units, connect then to a switch on the 100-900-RELAY. But how is wire-Y set in Your pin ?
Look for wire-Y - follow the wire - broken-off somewhere ? Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 49.95
$ 10.00
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 259.99
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 4.95
Apparel - Unisex
ULEKstore
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bright Lights Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside