• Latest reply 1 year ago by Gotemwill
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E4887B06-E56E-4429-A984-EAD2EB75427D (resized).jpeg
107AA0DB-2D3E-4F61-8D52-2B6FC6FE8945 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gotemwill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have a ‘66 Chicago Coin Hula Hula (2 player) that is exhibiting issues with the player unit. After starting a new single player game, the first ball will play and score under Player 1. However, balls 2-5 will randomly be played and scored under either Player 1 or Player 2. There does not seem to be any noticeable pattern. Additionally, sometimes the ball count will not advance to the next ball after it was played. If I start a 2 Player game, the symptoms are the same.

The ball count and player unit step up and reset okay manually. They also seem to step up and reset okay during game play as long as they are getting the signal to do so, which does not appear to be consistently happening.

I have a schematic. Any ideas on typical causes?

#5 4 years ago

This is the best I can do until I can get a good quality scan.

From what I can tell, the Player Control relay controls whether the Player Unit steps up to Player 2 or stays on Player 1 through the Player Control make/break switch. For the Player Unit to stay on Player 1, the Player Control relay must stay pulled in.

I have cleaned all of the switches in the Player Control relay circuit. However, observing the Player Control relay during play shows that once the D4 motor switch breaks the circuit it doesn’t always relatch.

Trying to understand the theory of operation here which seems key to understanding what is going on that would cause the Player Unit to toggle. Any thoughts welcome.

E4887B06-E56E-4429-A984-EAD2EB75427D (resized).jpegE4887B06-E56E-4429-A984-EAD2EB75427D (resized).jpeg107AA0DB-2D3E-4F61-8D52-2B6FC6FE8945 (resized).jpeg107AA0DB-2D3E-4F61-8D52-2B6FC6FE8945 (resized).jpeg
#6 4 years ago

Well, after sleeping on it, I decided to take another look at the D-4 and E-1 Motor switches which break the Player Control circuit and Outhole Relay circuits respectively. I found that the Player Control relay was only latching on 1/3rd of the motor cycle which told me that it wasn’t getting consistent contact pressure throughout the entire cycle since both switches appeared to be opening and closing properly and were clean.

After adjusting motor switch D4 with a bit more tension, the game now properly cycles the Player Unit on both 1 and 2 players. The same with the ball count.

Persistence is key!

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I kinda have an eye out for a Hula Hula.

I think I read somewhere that if you’re looking for a CC pinball, that this is the one to get and I couldn’t agree more. Here are some photos I posted over in the CC club thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chicago-coin-club-right-here/page/12#post-5372330

2 years later
#10 1 year ago

Nice work! Glad it helped!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gotemwill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cc-hula-hula-player-unit-issue?tu=Gotemwill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.