Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 142 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ENDOFLINE
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Me_&_Ben_Heck.jpg
    T-Shirts.jpg
    IMG_1207.jpg
    Gary_Stern.jpg
    CAX2.jpg
    CAX.jpg
    Ben_Heck.jpg
    Animated.jpg
    kingpin.JPG
    boxing.JPG
    adam.JPG
    2012-07-28_13.56.15.jpg
    2012-07-28_13.14.51.jpg
    2012-07-28_12.40.48.jpg
    2012-07-28_12.06.04.jpg
    2012-07-28_12.01.36.jpg
    There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 11 years ago

In the house.... Drove 11 hours from Oregon, AFTER driving up from L.A. last friday. Little burnt but some whiskey, sleep and a shower and I'll be good.

Family and I will be there after lunch (morning tour of the Winchester house) and plan on staying ALL NIGHT long.

Look for the good looking woman with the elvish tattoo on her left arm and you'll find us.

#102 11 years ago
    Quoted from ROKNRDH:

Generally the only one in heels!

Thats only coz James doesn't need 'em being 7 feet tall already

#103 11 years ago

I'm going saturday...SF giants cap,cointaker tee,and my seven year old daughter. we'll look for ya and you look for us.

#104 11 years ago

Pinsiders are going to have a great CAX 2012. I helped setup a lot of pins and video games on Thursday. While video games are nice (Major Havoc is at the show), what pinsiders are interested in more is pins. What pins are confirmed at CAX?

-Kingpin

Ken and TJ's prized game returns for another year. I'm not sure where it will end up floor plan wise...but look for it. Very fun game. Reminds me a lot of Diner.

-Safecracker
    I cant remember if Safecracker has actually been brought out for CAX before, but its here this year. Definitely stop by to check out this rare gem.

-Notable WPC 95's
    All the notable WPC 95's are there as usual (Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness, Tales of the Arabian Nights). This year we have multiples of the same title, which should reduce wait times on both Theatre of Magic & Cirqus Voltaire.

-Notable DE's
    Hook is at the show, though most will be more happy knowing that Ken brought DE's Tommy to the show. I can't wait to play this game again. Tommy's "listen" feature (shutters are placed above the flippers so you can "play by sense of smell") has to be played in person.

-Notable System 11's
    All the regulars are back...Black Knight 2000, Whirlwind, Taxi, Diner....but this time we have Swords of Fury. Very cool game.

-Notable Sega's
    Starship Troopers is at the show again, but this time in the mix is Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. Very rare you see this game out here on the west coast, so definately try it out. If your a fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula, you'll want to try out this very challenging game (speaking of which...).

-Notable WPC's
    In addition to CAX regulars like T2, Getaway, Demolition Man, Twilight Zone, The Addams Family, Dr Who...this year we once again have a Bram Stoker's Dracula!!! Should be an interesting game to watch as novices get destroyed, while more experienced players host up very fun to watch 4 player games on it with their friends.

-Notable Sterns
    While this year we have Lord of the Rings for play...for one of the first times...the more elusive Sterns hanging around the tourney area from years before are on free play & on the show floor this time. Wheel of Fortune, Shrek, and Family Guy are all on the floor for people to play. Very cool!

That's all I can remember from the games being shown. There will be more games brought in late Friday, so it will be interesting to see what other games are shown. Marco's has brought in Transformers Combo LE to the show (for their booth)...so check that out.

PS: Don't forget to check out the animatronics demo they have this year, if you or your kids are into cool robotics...or into the crazy stuff my generation were into when we went to ate at Chuck E' Cheese back in the day.

#105 11 years ago
    Quoted from drbond:

...the more elusive Sterns hanging around the tourney area from years before are on free play & on the show floor this time.

This year's tournament lineup is one of the best in years. It includes a Tron LE, a highly modified Ripley's, Tommy, Congo and returning for the first time in 5 or 6 years, Godzilla. And that's just the modern division.

Note that the tournament area has been moved from the hallway next to the main show to it's own room on the other side of the check-in desk. There is a casual division and because it's farther away from the main show this year, I suspect there will be less casual entries. So if you've never won any money in a tournament, come on over and win some in the casual division. The room is very close to the hotel door near the driveway back to the parking garage.

#106 11 years ago

well, I tried to qualify for casual but missed the cutoff

#107 11 years ago

Yeah I went yesterday and it was the same OVER WIEGHT, UNDER BATHED, DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRESS THEMSELVES (LEATHER TRENCH COATS IN JULY CAUSE I'M IN THE MATRIX) AND WEAR A F#(&ING BACKPACK SO I CAN BLOCK THE WHOLE AISLE WHEN I DECIDE TO STOP IN THE PATH OF TRAFFIC TO HAVE A DEBATE WHICH TSHIRT IS THE COOLEST FOR SALE OUT FRONT! THEN TURN TO A PINBALL GAME AND PUSH 4 PLAYER! OHHHH yeah there was some good games.

#108 11 years ago

I went yesterday too, and thought it was amazing! I am not much of an arcade game person, so I did not play any of those, just pinball, and I had a blast. I played a bunch of games I had never seen before, plus several that I had only gotten to play a handful of times at other shows. This was my first time at CA Extreme. I have been to the Pacific Pinball Expo three times and Pin-a-GoGo earlier this year. I like going to all the different Northern CA shows. I think it is cool how they all have a different vibe and different games. I thought this was a fantastic event - wish I could have gone back today, there were still games I didn't get to play. I guess I will have to go again next year!

#109 11 years ago

Just got back, met a lot of Pinsiders that came up to say hi because of recognizing the shirt I said I would be wearing.

Helped my buddy dolly pins in Friday, and found the best time to play pins is 11-2 on Saturday. Met Ken who was part of a tandem with JT that brought about 100 pin/arcade games to the show. Many rare games that people would never get a chance to play. I told him many thanks and his effort brought happiness to a lot of people.

The place was packed so I went to the seminars. I saw the Colordmd, Gary Stern, and P-Roc/multimorpic seminar.

Colordmd- announced that Addams would be next officially. Not a surprise as it was on the Addams cycle machine set up already. Got to see the MM one and really liked it. I already had seen the AFM one, so the MM and Addams was a nice treat.

Gary Stern - 95% same seminar he gave at the North West Pinball Show. No X-men Premium, danced around Fattrain's question about what is next, AC/DC and X-men update coming soon, hiring new software guys, wasn't sure about Tron update (didn't sound promising).

P-Roc- great ideas and innovations coming from these guys. Announced they were going to start making cabs with lots of different potential. From what I gathered the upper playfield with ramps will be able to be swapped out and changed fairly quickly so you can actually change your game and mod it to something you personally like. Seems like a very open concept that will open eyes when you see creative people go at it. I wish they would have shown a video or had a prototype there as I was trying to explain it to people that I had drug in to the seminar and this was their first exposure to the product.

Gene Cunningham was there. God bless his soul, he drives all the way down with his playfields and parts.

Finally, just wanted to say thanks to all the people that helped put on the show. It takes a lot of volunteers to make it work.

Can't wait for next year.

#110 11 years ago

Great show,It was packed, I waited to play WH2O for about for a while when I realised the ahole was playing 4 player. it was cool seeing a lot of vids that i used to play in the arcades that i had forgotten about.

2012-07-28_12.01.36.jpg2012-07-28_12.01.36.jpg 2012-07-28_12.06.04.jpg2012-07-28_12.06.04.jpg 2012-07-28_12.40.48.jpg2012-07-28_12.40.48.jpg 2012-07-28_13.14.51.jpg2012-07-28_13.14.51.jpg 2012-07-28_13.56.15.jpg2012-07-28_13.56.15.jpg

#111 11 years ago

It was, well... kinda extreme.

adam.JPGadam.JPG boxing.JPGboxing.JPG kingpin.JPGkingpin.JPG

#112 11 years ago

Great show. Had a blast. I'm a little bit more a video game guy than a pinball guy(55/45 really) so I was in pig-heaven with about 20 games that I not only haven't played in probably 20 years, but haven't even SEEN in at least that long. I had a blast schooling some people on Super Sprint and Rampart, literally. I took the time to teach them how to do things properly and quickly.

Overall, for me, it was a "greatest hits" of my arcade past that was the biggest thing for me at the show. For pinball play, PAGG was light years better, IMO. The crowd alone was reason enough for that. At CAX, people would line up, as they should, but when they were done, they wouldn't look around to see if anybody was waiting to play. They'd just hit start again. Kinda felt like the real arcades back in the day. There definitely was a different air about the play there. More common folk, less arcade/pin aficionados(ratio wise) than at PAGG. Can't count the times I got bumped into and the person DIDN'T EVEN TURN THEIR HEAD TO LOOK AT WHO THEY BUMPED, LET ALONE APOLOGIZE! It's called common courtesy, people, use it. I can't understand why someone would pay $60 just to walk around and be a dick to everyone. YOU'RE NOT AS COOL AS YOU THINK YOU ARE! Hate to break it to you.....

At PAGG, while someone was waiting to play the pin you were on, they'd root you on, or comment like, "Great multiball!", and generally just have a smile on their face. This happened 90% of the time I was there at PAGG. At CAX, this happened about 25% of the time, if that! I'll go again next year for sure, but now I'll know what to expect. It's a different crowd. A different end of the spectrum.

I got to play a BBB! Pretty decent pin, actually. I wish I had more time with it to learn more of it's modes and objectives. Could really be a great pin, I just won't know until I get to play it more. Great first impression, though.

And Hyperion, you, sadly, are absolutely, 100% correct. What the hell did so many people need backpacks for? All the games are free, you're not putting quarters in there! What's in there? None of them were CamelBak's, or whatever they call them that they drink from. Whaddaya got in there? Pacifiers? Your blankie? Your teddy bear?

Also, was that the "Stinky Unicorn" there in the leather duster?

#113 11 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

And Hyperion, you, sadly, are absolutely, 100% correct. What the hell did so many people need backpacks for? All the games are free, you're not putting quarters in there! What's in there? None of them were CamelBak's, or whatever they call them that they drink from. Whaddaya got in there? Pacifiers? Your blankie? Your teddy bear?

I didn't bring a backpack, but I did carry a canvas bag with me in addition to my purse that contained meals for the day (sandwich, cup of fruit, small container of tomato soup for both lunch and dinner, plus a few baggies of carrot sticks for snacks in between) and a glass water bottle for drinks.

I'm sure buying meals at the hotel is no big deal for some people, but going to the show was already kind of a stretch for me financially ($40 to get in, $30 in transportation costs round trip = NOT CHEAP) that I didn't want to be adding to it by buying overpriced hotel restaurant food.

My bag also contained a notebook and file folder with work stuff, so I could be productive during the trip there and back (almost 2 hours each way on public transit).

So I can't say for sure what anyone else needed a backpack for, but that's why I was carrying an extra bag around the show. Perhaps other people needed a bag for similar reasons. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

#114 11 years ago

I didn't buy lunch at the hotel. I drove and got some great Mediterranean food about two blocks away, next to a Togo's and a few other places. Plus, if I were to bring a lunch, personally, I think I would have brought a cooler and left it in the trunk of my car instead of carrying it around on my back all day. I don't know about most people, but I hate having to carry crap around with me all day. I got a t-shirt from Ben Heck about midway through the day. It was bothering me so much to carry it around, I walked over and put it away in my car within an hour.

You may be the exception considering that you took public transportation down, but the vast majority drove themselves there, as evidenced by the parking lot I drove through looking for a spot before I just parked at the hotel I was going to stay at Saturday night anyway(I was leery since I got there at 10am and check-in wasn't for another few hours).

I'm just tired of seeing backpacks everywhere. It's kind of a fashion statement nowadays in my town. You can't go anywhere, at night, to a public place(mall, restaurant, dept. store, concert, etc.) without seeing kids with backpacks. You're not in school, you're not hiking, and you're not a transient. I just don't understand......

#115 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Thats only coz James doesn't need 'em being 7 feet tall already []

Cliffy: LOL so true!

Loved seeing you as always!

#116 11 years ago

You know you're old when something as little as people wearing backpacks or bringing a bag with essential stuff makes you angry.

The only bullshit thing I saw at the show was the same stupid bullshit every year at every show that is uncontrollable. 1) People putting in 4-player games to play by themselves 2) people putting in 1-2 player games on the new big game (X-Men) without looking behind them and seeing if they can add another 2 from the line waiting behind them 3) kids starting games then leaving after ball 1, sometimes to the game right next to them while never finishing the other game...

and my BIG pet peeve 4) (which is kind of like 1) bemoaning being asked to play a multiplayer game. Pinball is already a solitary game, in that I'm not right there in front of you while you play your ball (unlike multiplayer vids). If you want to hog the game all to yourself because you want to "be by yourself", buy the machine and go home. Otherwise, sorry, we're not at your house. You're at an arcade/pinball show. You're in an environment where sharing and socializing are the norm and lines will move quicker if we play 2-4 player games on the popular machines. Every year multiple people give me beer face when I ask to join in or if I offer them to play with me. I don't get it.

#117 11 years ago

I had a good time. Met ENDOFLINE (Chris), great guy. Kind of expected more pins. Too many duplicate machines.

#118 11 years ago

Interesting comments sosage.

I was there yesterday and (like all the shows) when the person in front of me is done, I *always* ask if they'd like to play 2 player and I don't recall anyone not looking behind them. I played with probably 10 different people yesterday and another 2 guys that played on the AFM all day It's a good way to meet new people since I'm usually at shows by myself. I guess my experience yesterday was a bit different.

I only wish I could have played with that hot asian girl cruising around /rimshot

Also, technically speaking, the line doesn't move any faster if you're playing 1, 2, 3 or 4. The game times are all the same

#119 11 years ago

Great Event!

Got to hook up with Trent and get him a drink. I also ran into Ben Heck and knocked back a few drinks with him!

Good Times!!!

Pics for Eye Candy!

Animated.jpgAnimated.jpg Ben_Heck.jpgBen_Heck.jpg CAX.jpgCAX.jpg CAX2.jpgCAX2.jpg Gary_Stern.jpgGary_Stern.jpg IMG_1207.jpgIMG_1207.jpg

#120 11 years ago

T-Shirts.jpgT-Shirts.jpg Me_&_Ben_Heck.jpgMe_&_Ben_Heck.jpg

#121 11 years ago

Here's a few videos of those mice playing BTW. I thought they were kinda cool

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u1sdvu80ukmgngr/KnKKowaaA3

#122 11 years ago

Definitely wish I could have made it. Maybe next year.

#123 11 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

At PAGG, while someone was waiting to play the pin you were on, they'd root you on, or comment like, "Great multiball!", and generally just have a smile on their face. This happened 90% of the time I was there at PAGG. At CAX, this happened about 25% of the time, if that! I'll go again next year for sure, but now I'll know what to expect. It's a different crowd. A different end of the spectrum.

hmm, this was not my experience. I played a game of Spectrum and Alien Poker with a random guy who was playing there. Me and a friend started up a 3 way game and had a blast.

#124 11 years ago
    Quoted from Squishy:

played with that hot asian girl cruising around

pics?

#125 11 years ago

There were a few dudes playing pins who seemed to hog them and not look behind them after a game. I did get angry once after I realized one guy was playing a six player game by himself. I don't understand this mentality.

Overall though, people were cool and I played some doubles with people. I enjoyed playing the X-Men games, especially with Todd MacCulloch. He was very personable.

#126 11 years ago

No pics, sorry.

There was a few cuties around, but that asian girl in black shorts and high heels was fiiiiiiiiine. There was a few hot hispanic christians cruising around outside too (hey I'm an equal opportunity lover, what can I say).

Oh, there was some pinball machines and stuff inside too

#127 11 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

I'm just tired of seeing backpacks everywhere. It's kind of a fashion statement nowadays in my town. You can't go anywhere, at night, to a public place(mall, restaurant, dept. store, concert, etc.) without seeing kids with backpacks. You're not in school, you're not hiking, and you're not a transient. I just don't understand......

I know some of the organizers and I'll ask about banning backpacks next year.

You sound really cool and we should hang out.

#128 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

I know some of the organizers and I'll ask about banning backpacks next year.
    You sound really cool and we should hang out.

I heard back from the organizers and they said something which sounded like "get a life" but I'm not sure.

Also, my mom said we can't hang out, sorry.

#129 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

I heard back from the organizers and they said something which sounded like "get a life" but I'm not sure.

HAHAHAHHA ROFL

#130 11 years ago

We had a great time.
    The kids practiced great "Pin-etiquette" and we always were asking anyone around us if they wanted to play multi player and we always only played proper for the amount of people we had (ie... no 4 player game with one of my kids hogging up AFM)
    Played a ton of pins that we have never played and I really enjoyed both MSF and Starship Troopers.

Didn't care for some of the colored DMD that were all the rage, but definitely had a blast, in-spite of the stinky unicorn and his kin.

Sorry didn't hook up with any of you guys but I meet some really cool people there. All in all a great time was had by all.

#131 11 years ago

Was stinky unicorn there? I didn't smell him... guess I got lucky.

#132 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Yeah, she told me you can't stay out after 9pm.

She makes a pretty mean breakfast, too.

#133 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Got to hook up with Trent and get him a drink. I also ran into Ben Heck and knocked back a few drinks with him!

Good Times!!!

Good seeing you too, Justin (dry cough... ) and givin' out the free product (dry.... sorry, hack)
    Love,
    Chopped Liver

#134 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

You're in an environment where sharing and socializing are the norm and lines will move quicker if we play 2-4 player games on the popular machines. Every year multiple people give me beer face when I ask to join in or if I offer them to play with me. I don't get it.

Big +1 on that sosage. I found it much better this year though. I never once had anyone flip out when I asked to be put in or asked them if they wanted to play as well. I actually got some good play time on both X-Men machines which I loved. Great event with some really awesome people volunteering and bringing pins/arcades.

#135 11 years ago
    Quoted from chriskd:

He was there. But, he was not stinky!

#136 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

He was there. But, he was not stinky!

I thought he smelled like flowers....corpse flowers...

#137 11 years ago
    Quoted from Acampero:

I thought he smelled like flowers....corpse flowers...

No seriously, I saw him and prepared for the onslaught of pain, but he wasn't stinky this year.

The most messed up odor incident was in the tournament room on Friday night. The AC was insufficient and it was really hot in there, and someone farted.

#138 11 years ago

Let me guess, Gary talked about "more man hours than a Ford Taurus again???"

#139 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Let me guess, Gary talked about "more man hours than a Ford Taurus again???"

I thought the quote was more MISSING parts than a Ford Tarus.

#140 11 years ago

I have pics of all the pins I played and a video of Gary's presentation.
    I will post when I get a chance, along with my opinion.

#141 11 years ago

there was a whole mess of stinky unicorns there this year! haha.... actually i did see him in the wild, he was wearing that large trench coat and huge grizzly beard.

Quoted from chriskd:

#142 11 years ago

it was good hangin with you too ian. had alot of fun playing that magneto le with you and your sister. what a great year for CAX! had a great time, just went by sooo fast. ill try to post some pics later of the craziness.

anyone know the guy that won the ACDC pin??

Quoted from ianwho:

I had a good time. Met ENDOFLINE (Chris), great guy. Kind of expected more pins. Too many duplicate machines.

There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cax-2012-whos-all-going/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.