WP_003804.jpg
WP_003803.jpg
WP_003802.jpg
WP_003801.jpg
WP_003800.jpg
WP_003799.jpg
WP_003798.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I purchased a working Gottlieb Caveman last night. It was only missing the back door. Long story short; I had the guy that I bought it from and his friend help me get it out of the basement and load it into my trailer. I was actually so surprised at how rough they were with the game that I was dumbfounded. They laughingly slammed it into the back trailer wall. Then the strapped it into place before I could inspect it. I know it is my fault for not checking (especially since it was missing the back door) but they didn't tell me that the whole back door board set had folded into the down position. Then they strapped it tight against the back wall of my trailer with all of the electronics facing outward. Again, this is my fault for not checking, I always double check. Anyways; I open the trailer this morning, not knowing that it bounced down the road for 2 hours with all the boards and electronics banging against the trailer wall. There are now capacitors and resistors on the floor around the game in the trailer and this are bent and disconnected.

I was planning on posting on Pinside today to ask someone if they would send me pictures of just their back door so I could either make one or purchase a door (I dont even know if it should be a steel door or wood door)? Now I am asking for someone to open their Caveman up, fold the back door down with the board sets and electronics visible and take a picture of all of the boards for me so I can solder back into place all of the broken off components.

Very embarrassing; Please help me with some Caveman photos.

#2 9 years ago

That's a bummer, Caveman's are hard enough to keep working without adding more problems to the game. You may want to contact Todd at TNT Amusements, I think he parted out several Caveman's a little while ago. Perhaps he still has a back door lying around that you can pick up.

Steve

WP_003798.jpgWP_003798.jpg WP_003799.jpgWP_003799.jpg WP_003800.jpgWP_003800.jpg WP_003801.jpgWP_003801.jpg WP_003802.jpgWP_003802.jpg WP_003803.jpgWP_003803.jpg WP_003804.jpgWP_003804.jpg WP_003805.jpgWP_003805.jpg WP_003806.jpgWP_003806.jpg
#3 9 years ago

Sorry to here about your troubles, I was thinking about buying that pin for something different in my line up. The price was right for sure. I don't know about the door on that pin, but if you need help with the boards let me know.

#4 9 years ago

LOL, I was just looking at my pics to be sure they were clear enough and realized that I still need to rebuild my A2 power supply. Oh well, I have no time for it right now anyway.

Steve

#5 9 years ago

Thanks guys for your help and the great pictures! I will update everyone with the outcome!!

#6 9 years ago

Glad to help where I can. I hope it goes back together without issues and boots up.

Steve

#7 9 years ago

I got it working blownfuse! Thanks again for your great photos and help!

Now if I could figure out why when it starts sometimes the sound might not work, it might have a ground noise; it might play intro music but sound strange (very low-fi). If I pull off the connector A6-J1, off the sound board and plug it back in, it will then reset itself and work correctly. What does that mean? The guy I purchased the machine from should me that is what he did to get the sound to work when it didn’t start normally. Is this because of bad pins or a dying sound board?
Also I hear that someone was making an updated chip that allowed you to; when dying in arcade mode, you wouldn't lose a ball altogether but go back to playing pinball? Is this upgrade available to the public? Where do you purchase it?

#8 9 years ago

Awesome! I think there's a spot on the thread where you as the OP can mark the issue solved so others can learn from you.

When working with System 80, it's always a good thing to make sure your connections are new. This will knock out the cause of most System 80 issues. Resistance at connections can cause all kinds of odd issues, these are especially noticed where sounds are involved since you hear things faster than you see them in most cases.

I don't know anything about the updated Caveman code you're referring to, perhaps someone else here has the info you seek. If it does exist, I would think all you'd need would be for someone to email the files to you and you burn them to a ROM for your game. Are you sure there isn't a dip switch setting for that option?

Did you try contacting Todd at TNT for the back door you're missing yet? You don't want to go through that again.

Steve

1 week later
#9 9 years ago

NEW Caveman problems. So everything was working fine. Now when I turn it on, coin it up, hit the start button, I hear a click, click, click, and it doesn't try to shoot a ball out. It will do this over and over every 3 seconds. Also I notice that the 4 targets on the right side of the upper middle playfield will drop down but once they are all down they will not pop back up.

I get the feeling that when I push the on/off button on the bottom of the cabinet, that there may be something wrong with the switch because the game doesn't always start properly and sometimes the sound doesn't come on in the game, you have to go to the back, unplug the sound harness put it back on and then the sound will turn on.

Where do I start?

Is there anyone out there that goes through Caveman pcb's?

Is there any links out there on Caveman restorations or maintenance?

Please any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

#10 9 years ago

Is the tilt light going off and on with the clicking sound? If so, with the power off, try re-seating your game ROM and see if the problem stops.

Steve

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/caveman-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.