274C706C-F5DF-4618-A4FF-EC5D009B0888 (resized).jpeg
B3479371-9C7C-4051-BCF9-488D51EDCFB3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0238 (resized).jpg
1A32AC82-E989-43DF-84B7-E7CF301C2BF4 (resized).png
E9F1FC90-C663-4A78-9A68-A601D66F3743 (resized).jpeg
B5EE802C-055D-451F-9F7F-C764399F8A53 (resized).jpeg
24B228C2-0BA8-4997-8ADF-0721D2BAB152 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

For all your Gottlieb Caveman owners out there, share you Caveman experiences here!

One of the heaviest Gottlieb's for sure, wider than the Bally /Willams SuperPins and possibly heavier.

Loaded with printed circuit boards up the wazoo in the head, a card cage under the playfield for the video portion of this pin,
I find this to be quite an accomplished pin for 1982. I've owned mine for 2+ years now. My girlfriend loves this game
as much as I do. We find ourselves shrieking out loud as we play this game from the excitement of the video portion
of this pin, trying to get "Aleeb Aleeb" we call it (for extra ball lit in the maze), or just outsmarting the T-Rex's.

This pin usually can be found for cheap but to me it's more fun than some newer DMD or AlphaNumeric pins.

In fact, we find ourselves always playing Caveman. She got a high score one night of 1.7 Million and I just recently topped her score with
1.9 Million!

Anyhow, Welcome To The StoneAge & Share Your Experiences w/ Gottliebs's Caveman (hopefully positive)!

#2 3 years ago

I just joined this club last week. My Caveman works but has sound issues. At first I was getting audio, but the sounds were all playing randomly and at the wrong times. After I took the game apart to bring it downstairs, I lost all audio. I also never once have heard the voice work, so not sure what's going on. Luckily the game works otherwise - both the pinball portion and video game portion. I'm running the original boards in there currently.

1 month later
#4 3 years ago

Fellow Cavemen:

On page 15 of the manual, section D. Video-Pinball Interface Test:

Notes that a six pin molex jack was included in the game envelope for testing the video interface and that jack would be plugged into A9P1 after disconnection the joystick.

Who can share the pinout to replicate that jack?

Thanks for any pics / help / direction

BPR

Found this info- noting here for someone else digging in the future: The test jack is noted as simulating all four joystick switch circuits closed, so I will jumper all and see if it drops into test mode.

For this test, the joystick must be disconnected and the 6-pin Molex test jack connected in its place. This jack simply simulates the permanent closure of the 4 joystick switches (one can be be easily made up if it is missing from your game). (NOTE: There must be at least 1 credit on the game before the test can be initiated.)

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from BPR_:

Fellow Cavemen:
On page 15 of the manual, section D. Video-Pinball Interface Test:
Notes that a six pin molex jack was included in the game envelope for testing the video interface and that jack would be plugged into A9P1 after disconnection the joystick.
Who can share the pinout to replicate that jack?
Thanks for any pics / help / direction
BPR
Found this info- noting here for someone else digging in the future: The test jack is noted as simulating all four joystick switch circuits closed, so I will jumper all and see if it drops into test mode.
For this test, the joystick must be disconnected and the 6-pin Molex test jack connected in its place. This jack simply simulates the permanent closure of the 4 joystick switches (one can be be easily made up if it is missing from your game). (NOTE: There must be at least 1 credit on the game before the test can be initiated.)

I am curious to hear the outcome on this test.

#6 3 years ago

Just tested today - the jumper method works perfectly.

IMG-6937 (resized).jpeg
6 months later
#7 2 years ago

Looking for measurements of the Caveman playfield glass: My digging comes up with no definitive answers. Could anyone please measure and report so I can have a replacement made? Thanks!

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Playfield_Glass_Sizes

Manufacturer Title Game Style Glass Dimensions Notes
Gottlieb Caveman Widebody ? This glass is shorter because of the large control panel over top of the apron.

2 months later
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from BPR_:

Looking for measurements of the Caveman playfield glass: My digging comes up with no definitive answers. Could anyone please measure and report so I can have a replacement made? Thanks!
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Playfield_Glass_Sizes
Manufacturer Title Game Style Glass Dimensions Notes
Gottlieb Caveman Widebody ? This glass is shorter because of the large control panel over top of the apron.

I measured mine for someone else and sent them a PM quite some time ago.
Do you still need the dimensions for the glass? Maybe it was you...I need to look.

2 months later
#9 2 years ago

hello i have 2 caveman one working the second is in restoration whit a Nos playfield i have 2 spare video boxes a few repro backglasses ant lots of parts

7 months later
#10 1 year ago

Earlier this year I picked up a caveman that is in need of a full restoration. Unfortunately the backglass that says caveman is broken and the other backglass is heavily flaking. And the mpu is totaled out with alkaline damage.

My questions are
1) Has anyone has used a rottendog amusements mpu080 with success.

I read in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/niwumph-with-caveman-pinball#post-4897549
that there were some issues with it.

2) I wanted to ask here before placing a wanted ad, does anyone know a place where I can find a backglass set?

3 months later
#11 1 year ago
Quoted from BPR_:

Just tested today - the jumper method works perfectly.[quoted image]

Can you describe or post a picture of what to do with the jumper clips? I’m trying to trouble shoot a problem I’m having with mine. Do I just connect all the pins together?

Thanks for the help!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Tlw7409:

Can you describe or post a picture of what to do with the jumper clips? I’m trying to trouble shoot a problem I’m having with mine. Do I just connect all the pins together?
Thanks for the help!

The jumper connects all the pins.

Here is some pictures of the jumper that came with the machine:
Caveman Jumper
Caveman Jumper

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from pinflip_:

The jumper connects all the pins.
Here is some pictures of the jumper that came with the machine:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thank you! I didn’t have one of these so I just used a piece of rope around the joystick rod (which pushed all the contacts together) to simulate all of the buttons being pressed.

24B228C2-0BA8-4997-8ADF-0721D2BAB152 (resized).jpeg
#14 1 year ago

Hey Cavemen!
I have a question about the Video Game Interface Test.

The results are attached (picture). The manual stated that it would have 3 phases to this test. I’m a little confused. I attached that page to the manual here.
The most confusing part is the “video section” of Part II. It states it “exercises the lines back to the pinball via the switch matrix. This part of the test is displayed in the ‘BALL IN PLAY’ window...” what window are they taking about? The score board? The playfield lights? Nothing seems to be showing up at all. Am I looking for flashing lights? I tried to press the reset button on the coin door too to start the testing (as it states in the Interface testing directions) and it just starts the Bookkeeping Self/Tests instead.

I also see “CHART 2” of the attached page has switch matrix number 02 as “EXIT VIDEO AND RETURN TO PINGAME PLAN”. This is the exact problem I am having with my game ( my pinball won’t send the ball back to the PF when the caveman goes back into a cave, but it will kick the ball back if I get eaten by a dinosaur). Could this help me in finding the problem? Where would I see this information during the Interface test? I guess I should also ask, what is a “Switch Matrix?”

1A32AC82-E989-43DF-84B7-E7CF301C2BF4 (resized).pngB5EE802C-055D-451F-9F7F-C764399F8A53 (resized).jpegE9F1FC90-C663-4A78-9A68-A601D66F3743 (resized).jpeg
#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Tlw7409:

Hey Cavemen!
I have a question about the Video Game Interface Test.
The results are attached (picture). The manual stated that it would have 3 phases to this test. I’m a little confused. I attached that page to the manual here.
The most confusing part is the “video section” of Part II. It states it “exercises the lines back to the pinball via the switch matrix. This part of the test is displayed in the ‘BALL IN PLAY’ window...” what window are they taking about? The score board? The playfield lights? Nothing seems to be showing up at all. Am I looking for flashing lights? I tried to press the reset button on the coin door too to start the testing (as it states in the Interface testing directions) and it just starts the Bookkeeping Self/Tests instead.
I also see “CHART 2” of the attached page has switch matrix number 02 as “EXIT VIDEO AND RETURN TO PINGAME PLAN”. This is the exact problem I am having with my game ( my pinball won’t send the ball back to the PF when the caveman goes back into a cave, but it will kick the ball back if I get eaten by a dinosaur). Could this help me in finding the problem? Where would I see this information during the Interface test? I guess I should also ask, what is a “Switch Matrix?”
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you want to see what a matrix looks like regarding Caveman, page 37 has the switch matrix of the In short, a matrix is almost like a spreadsheet how you can find, or call on a certain cell by using letters (columns) and numbers (rows).

The section where they talk about lights is that the way the pinball boards communicate with the video boards is using some of the lamp lines. There is no lights to look for. And the way the video boards communicate to the pinball boards using the switch matrix.

Now to the your issue: The place you would look is where the game displays the ball in play (the smaller display in the middle of the back box, on the right hand side). I would go through the test and see if 02 is displayed.

Since you stated that everything else works on chart 2 besides 02, as hopefully being able to verify that through the test, makes the issue caused by U7 (74LS368) or U8 (8212) on the I/O RAM Board (A23). Before replacing U7 and/or U8see if the switch matrix reads out 02 during the video-pinball interface test.
I/O RAM Board

To take a more detailed look at the schematic it is in page 48 of the manual. If you have any questions I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from pinflip_:

If you want to see what a matrix looks like regarding Caveman, page 37 has the switch matrix of the In short, a matrix is almost like a spreadsheet how you can find, or call on a certain cell by using letters (columns) and numbers (rows).
The section where they talk about lights is that the way the pinball boards communicate with the video boards is using some of the lamp lines. There is no lights to look for. And the way the video boards communicate to the pinball boards using the switch matrix.
Now to the your issue: The place you would look is where the game displays the ball in play (the smaller display in the middle of the back box, on the right hand side). I would go through the test and see if 02 is displayed.
Since you stated that everything else works on chart 2 besides 02, as hopefully being able to verify that through the test, makes the issue caused by U7 (74LS368) or U8 (8212) on the I/O RAM Board (A23). Before replacing U7 and/or U8see if the switch matrix reads out 02 during the video-pinball interface test.
[quoted image]
To take a more detailed look at the schematic it is in page 48 of the manual. If you have any questions I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

I’ve made a breakthrough! I got the Interface test to start!

Here are the results:

Now I’ve got to just figure out what this machine is trying to tell me!

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from pinflip_:

[quoted image]

The numbers that come up in the Interface test we’re 01, 03, 04, 05, 06, 10, 11, 13, 14, and 15.

B3479371-9C7C-4051-BCF9-488D51EDCFB3 (resized).jpeg274C706C-F5DF-4618-A4FF-EC5D009B0888 (resized).jpeg

I’m a little lost on what this actually tells me. I see that the test did not display an “02” which was “Exit Video and Return to Pingame Plan”. Does this validate that the video game isn’t sending a signal to the pinball table telling it the video game has paused when the caveman enters a cave? I also noticed that it DID display an “06”, which stated “Caveman Eaten By A Tyrannosaurus”. This part also makes sense with what is going on. The game WILL send the ball back in play if I get eaten by a dinosaur in the video game (it actually is considered a lost ball (flippers won’t move until the ball is sensed in the trough)) but it does let you play your next ball from the plunger. Lastly, “12” was not displayed during the test, which states in the manual as “Caveman has Stopped (Sound)”. I wonder if this is tied in with the big issue I’m having or just a small sound issue I can just ignore for now?

Any ideas where on the pinball cabinet I should look for fix this or what parts I need to replace?

4 months later
#19 9 months ago

Just joined!!!
CAVEMAN WAKE UP

Loving this game. My playfield is just horrible though. I know hundreds of these have been scrapped. If anyone finds a decent one, even if it needs to be restored, let me know!

09C54520-B732-4355-84F0-E9FA2F5872FD.jpeg1A126F84-29E5-4886-A16F-1A72B1B100F4.jpeg561F85DE-9C48-4C24-A07E-37504ABEB29D.jpegF64A0BBF-97A4-4177-AA07-B29E8E90D486.jpeg
1 month later
#20 7 months ago

The guy that originally worked on this for us said if the video portion stop working, all you have to do is re-seat the boards in the base of the cabinet.

Well, that worked a few times. Then the game sat for a couple years. Now This is what I get. I think there may be some cold solder down there, and maybe the pins on the boards slots are corroded.

Any advice? I pulled the video box and brought it home to clean up.

65368677411__8B56CC51-522C-4CF4-88D8-5630035A5BF0 (resized).jpgIMG_6250 (resized).jpg
#21 7 months ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Any advice? I pulled the video box and brought it home to clean up.

I'd start by cleaning all the edge connector fingers with a pink rubber eraser. That should get rid of any grime and tarnish that has built up. Then try firing it up and see what you get.

#22 7 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd start by cleaning all the edge connector fingers with a pink rubber eraser. That should get rid of any grime and tarnish that has built up. Then try firing it up and see what you get.

I wish I had a way to test this cage as it is with a vga monitor or something.

Pulled the boards out. Pic just cuz.

2C4A8407-E901-4085-9C0D-6A7949520C45 (resized).jpeg
#23 7 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

What about brasso and then alcohol? I use that a lot on my nintendo carts and it works great.

#24 7 months ago

What about brasso and then alcohol? I use that a lot on my nintendo carts and it works great.

I don't polish or sand the contacts.

If they're seriously filthy, I'll use alcohol.

But if it's just some grime and tarnish, the eraser is enough to clean and shine up the contacts.

#25 7 months ago

I wish I had a way to test this cage as it is with a vga monitor or something.
Pulled the boards out. Pic just cuz.
[quoted image]

The board on the top right looks like it could use some attention.

#26 7 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The board on the top right looks like it could use some attention.

Those silver pins right? I got them shined up nice now. I did them all with an eraser, and then did alcohol to clean them up. Fingers crossed. I will go try it out Monday if all goes well.

4 months later
#27 86 days ago

Hey everyone, just recently joined the Caveman club and got the game working mostly (holy crap those varitargets are a pain to work on!), just wanted to ask if anyone had seen this occur on their game:

I recently got the Caveman Evolutions rom but did notice a couple of weird issues, one with the rom itself and one with my game running the original rom.

The bug I noticed in my game with either rom installed is that crushing the pterodactyls removes 5 bonus advances rather then adding them as the rules suggest. All the way down to 1 bonus!

The bug I noticed in the rom is that unless the flashing drop targets are both flashing, perhaps even when just the left flashing target is hit and the right one is not - When entering and exiting the video game, oftentimes the right target is no longer flashing and the multiplier can no longer be collected.

I do love the game sans these bugs (which might just be my game) and have almost gotten good enough at the video game to clear all eight levels twice with the three lives mod... how fast does this game get?

Thanks for any suggestions
-Jeffoto
Gottlieb widebody nut

66605021025__8ACEF413-977E-453A-AD39-7462E5A7EC56.HEIC (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#28 52 days ago

Whoo Hoo! I got mine home tonight. Like most of them out there, it needs work. So far I have diagnosed a bad power supply, and lack of a sound board may explain why the sound is not working. I got it sort of up and running using the power supply board out of my M:GoW. The video side boots and appears to work OK. However, there is a communication issue I think between the video section and the pinball boards. When I put the game in test mode is reporting all of the switches ending in '6' as being closed. When I get more time, I may have to dig into the video IO board to fix this issue.

44FDA74E-7392-4313-A41C-0E02ACBBB14B (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Denver, CO
$ 7.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!