• Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1000112_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

My Bally Xenon didn't have a cover over the power supply board. I assumed this was just to stop you accidentally electrocuting yourself with the high voltage section and it didn't trouble me much. I was playing Xenon the other night when all the displays went out. Didn't take long to discover why, the bottom of a pop-bumper bracket had broken off and dropped onto the power supply fuses causing a short. The F2 three-quarter amp fuse had blown, now when I replace, it there's a loud buzz and it blows again. I suppose there's a lot of metal components, nuts, screws etc which could come loose and drop onto that board, so i've now made a cover.

Any suggestions as to what may have fused and is now blowing that fuse.

P1000112_(resized).JPGP1000112_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

Use a DMM/Voltmeter to check the power supply test points. (pg 40 of schematic manual power supply diagram, available online at IPDB.com if you don't have it). There's a pretty good chance you may have taken out a bridge rectifier (or two). When you find the test points that don't measure correct, you'll probably want to remove the bridge for that particular supply voltage and replace it.

#3 8 years ago

Yeah, the Atari pins had boards on the bottom too, not the best design choice.

There is a little group of diodes on the board that supply the high voltage, I suspect one of them has shorted out.

Like Wayout says, check each diode with your meter.

Might be a good time to bulletproof the entire Rectifier board?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing/page/2#post-2113931

#4 8 years ago

Thanks guys, I will check when I can but my meter has died and I've just ordered a new one of those. Have you noticed how everything seems to go wrong at once. Both my Xenon and Centaur had run happily for months, but I've had both out of action the last few weeks with various faults and then a piece of metal drops onto the power supply!

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from TinyToo:

Have you noticed how everything seems to go wrong at once.

Yup! had my sump pump lock up with a stuck switch this morning, then computer did an update and crashed (Linux even, ugh!) then my security cameras decided to stop working. All this morning. So far 2 out of three fixed but what a waste of a day. Time for a drink

#6 8 years ago

Once I was able to test I found both bridge rectifiers and 1 diode tested bad. Replaced the bridge rectifiers and all diodes as I was there and all is now working. My new cover is sitting over the power board to catch anything metal that happens to drop from above!

Thanks for the advice as usual.

#7 8 years ago

Someone should repro those covers for the cabinet rectifiers. It is just a square of plexi with some mount holes. These are missing on probably more than half of the bally cabinet rectifiers.

I never use them in the head rectifiers or that stupid cover on the driver board hv regulator. Cabinet one... probably a must since things can fall from the PF.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cautionary-tale-help-required-bally-power-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.