(Topic ID: 312575)

Cause and repair of funky looking fuse holder (F106 GI in WPC95)?

By dEviant

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220327_221820 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Earlier today I turned on my TZ after a month or two of not being able to play it. I noticed that the GI of the right hand side of the playfield was off. When I checked the fuse holder (and the surrounding area), as shown in the attached image, the fuse clip on the left side looks 'kind of funky'. The fuse tested fine, and when I put it back and turned on the machine the GI seemed to work just fine (?). I will be replacing the fuse holder for sure, but am left with two questions:

1. What could cause this? On one hand it looks like it overheated due to a short. But I would assume that the fuse would have blown if that was the case. Seeing the gunk on the connector below the fuse holder makes me wonder if this could be corrosion? I'm hoping that someone here can help me understand this better.

2. I'm not having much luck finding a replacement part. Does anyone know what the part number is and/or where to get a replacement?

Thanks for reading so far

20220327_221820 (resized).jpg20220327_221820 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from dEviant:

it looks like it overheated due to a short.

This or loose and arcing.

Quoted from dEviant:

But I would assume that the fuse would have blown if that was the case.

The fuse didn't agree.

Quoted from dEviant:

2. I'm not having much luck finding a replacement part. Does anyone know what the part number is and/or where to get a replacement?

You might have to check places other than pinball parts suppliers.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

The fuses for G.I. carry very large currents. Any slight resistance, even caused by oil on fingers when inserting the fuse, can cause heat and that equals your result.

I wouldn't call it unusual at all. Actually I'm surprised it doesn't happen a lot more considering how the connectors burn up pretty much in every machine.

#4 2 years ago

If you want to order from a pinball company, I'm pretty sure either one of these will work:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5733-12060-01
https://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=FUSEHLDR2

What you are looking for is a PCB mount fuse holder.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from dEviant:

That is Littelfuse 03540101ZXGY (rated to 600V 15A). The old part number is 354101GY (rated to 300V 15A).

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=354101GY
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/03540101ZXGY?qs=gu7KAQ731USHq53hZeD4aA%3D%3D

The previously quoted merchants are more expensive than other pinball or big box electronics merchants.

#6 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments! I'm glad to learn that there is a straightforward explanation for this

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

The fuses for G.I. carry very large currents. Any slight resistance, even caused by oil on fingers when inserting the fuse, can cause heat and that equals your result.

Yes. And the increased heat will soften the fuse holder, causing even more bad contact and resistance, resulting in more heat. Eventually it will self-destruct.

Sega/Stern fuse holders were notoriously bad. WPC had better quality.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 12.95
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
$ 14.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cause-and-repair-ofthis-funky-looking-fuse-holder-f106-gi-in-wpc95- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.