IMG_20240410_111929950 (resized).jpg
21F7EA1E-B44C-44F6-92E5-6C8F1C2FCF10_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
20240406_133143 (resized).jpg
1B75BFF3-B452-443B-81D0-FD859737A820 (resized).jpeg
16798FE7-A6C5-4515-912C-031EE55215B8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1544 (resized).JPG
20240331_154700 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pecos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1416 5 years ago

This is Gato. She has never been interested in any of my pins until now.

Liberty Bell Gato Chillin' (resized).pngLiberty Bell Gato Chillin' (resized).png

Liberty Bell Gato (resized).pngLiberty Bell Gato (resized).png

Apparently, she has decided that my Liberty Bell playfield sans glass is a good place to take a nap.

Edit: I saw something moving after I took the pics. It turned out to be the coin door. Gato had figured out how to push the door open. And then she climbed from the playfield into the cabinet! She didn’t get very far - there were too many parts in the way. She jumped out before I could get a pic though. . I think she has claimed this pin as her own! That’s okay. I have plenty more.

5 months later
#1602 5 years ago

I have recently lost my Gato. I put her out on New Year's Eve at 2:00 AM. When I went out at 4:00 AM to let her in, she was nowhere to be found. I haven't seen her since.

In honor of Gato's life and what she meant to me, I present to you:

A Gato Story
How a Black Cat Stole My Heart and Taught Me to Love

I am not a cat lover. I have good reasons for that. During my second year of college, my girlfriend, her room mate and I would meet each evening for dinner. Both were good cooks.

Before dinner, the room mate would feed the cat, the male long-hair yellow and white cat, Roscoe. The food that went into this evil creature was disgusting and smelled awful. What came out the other end smelled even worse. For some unknown reason, the cat litter box was placed next to the dinner table and next to where I sat. Guess when the cat decided it was time to use the litter box. Right, during the eating of my tasty home cooked meals. I hated that cat. It wasn't friendly and it ruined my dinners.

Several years later, my girlfriend bought me an Abyssinian cat. I never warmed up to the cat. It was always in the garbage and wasn't very friendly. My girlfriend got the cat.

Thirty some odd years later, I was gardening in my backyard when a black cat strolled into my yard and sat her butt down on the ground. It was curious, even interesting, but I thought nothing more of it at the time. It just sat there watching, eventually getting closer and closer and finally ONTO MY back porch. This cat had some nerve! I didn't WANT a cat so I completely ignored it - for three long months. There was no petting, no food and no water, no nothing. I wouldn't even look at her. If it had been a male, it would have been chased away immediately. Feral males are disgusting. They spray everywhere and, after Roscoe, I had bad vibes about male cats.

The cat would catch her own food and bring it back to my back porch to eat it. She officially 'moved in' and decided this was the place for her. After three months though, three months (!) of this strange relationship, I finally gave in and bought her a bag of cat food. That was a sad day in my life - imagine ME actually paying good money for cat food!

I called her 'Gato', the Spanish word for 'cat.' It stuck.

Gato, the year she decided to make me hers:

IMG_0060 Small (resized).JPGIMG_0060 Small (resized).JPG

I taught her some tricks. Some were meant to keep here safe. She had to sit, wait and look at me at the sliding back door before she was allowed inside. I didn't want a cat under foot. I could hurt her. When in her cat bed, I would cover her with a 'blanky' and whisper. "Go to sleep Gato!" She would put her head under the blanky as if she was going to sleep. Then she got a Gato Goodie. I taught her to lean backwards and 'meow' when I would meow. I called this trick the 'back-breaker with report!' Of course, she got a Gato Goodie for such an awesome trick. I got an idea after hearing her on the roof. I put some food in the rafters and she would jump up to claim her prize.

In her later years, she was no longer able to perform such feats of gymnastics. When it was time to eat, I put her food in a dish and held it up. She would sit up and touch the dish with her paw. Then I would spread some food on the ground and she would sit up again before she was off to find the food on the ground. It wasn't exactly hunting for her food, but I think it was more fun for her to seek out some of the food than just having it handed to her. Most of the food ended up in her dish. I put the dish up on the window ledge where it was easier for her to get to instead of the rafters.

It's been more than fourteen years now since Gato plopped her butt on my landscaped yard. Gato was as good a cat as a cat could be. She was only allowed into my bedroom when I slept. For a while, she wouldn't pester me to try to get me up. She waited until I got up. She did all of her 'business' outdoors so there was no litter box and litter to buy. She was very healthy, saving me from expensive vet bills.

The last few years she has decided that she wanted to be fed three times a day, breakfast at 4:00 to 5:00 AM, lunch at 10:00 to 12:00 and dinner at 10:00 to 11:00 PM. She yowled, 100 decibel yowling! I finally learned to let her out when she wanted out.

Gato was part mystery and part miracle. Vets here in Tucson say that outdoor cats have a two year lifespan. I live only a block away from the Pantano wash and a lot of predators use this wash to travel. They often make their way into my neighborhood and back yard looking for food and water. I have seen skunks, raccoons, javalina, hawks coyotes and rattlesnakes. My neighbor's small dog was killed by a Red Hawk. So, it is a small miracle that she managed to live this long. She was totally bonded to me. She wouldn't go anywhere near another person or animal and she was a wonderful companion for an old bachelor who doesn't interact with a lot of people. How did she live so long? She must have more than 9 lives!

The last pictures I have of Gato:

DSCF3673 (resized).JPGDSCF3673 (resized).JPG

DSCF3674 (resized).JPGDSCF3674 (resized).JPG

I keep telling myself that nothing much will change in my life, but, of course, it will. I'm not ready for another pet - maybe someday, but there won't ever be another Gato. It's going to be lonely here at Pecos' Palatial Pinball Parlour. I will miss Gato, truly, and that is something for someone who didn't like cats.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
$ 10.00
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pecos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cats-and-pinballs-?tu=pecos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.