61D2C599-5DC2-4FAD-B4A0-242CF069BB31 (resized).jpeg
1EF3E982-88BB-4BC0-BCED-DE44B88CDAFC (resized).jpeg
IMG_0338 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0335 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0336 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240410_111929950 (resized).jpg
21F7EA1E-B44C-44F6-92E5-6C8F1C2FCF10_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
20240406_133143 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nyp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 11 years ago

I don't have pictures but I'll always remember this story, think I told it on RGP once. Woman called me for a service call on an old E.M, I scheduled a service call 2 or 3 days later. When I arrived and opened the coin door, a scared and angry cat came FLYING out the coin door and scared the living shit out of me. I fell backwards and thought I was going to have a heart attack. The woman is so excited because she thought the cat ran away, the poor thing was in there for a few days. Seems when I originally called, she went down to check something, (if she had the key or whatever), the cat got in and there it stayed until I 'freed' it. I always wondered what might have happened if I didn't schedule the call for a week or two. The inside of the machine was a disaster with cat shit and piss and the paperwork was all shredded etc. I can't believe the cat didn't get electrocuted but it was a long time ago, maybe it was unplugged. Anyway true story ................
Ron

1 year later
#309 9 years ago
Quoted from carmour:

The husband was not happy about this. Maybe the glass shouldn't be left off? Haha

Tell your husband you were teaching the cat to buff the playfield.

1 month later
#338 9 years ago

I guess installing the coin door can wait a while......

photo (3).JPGphoto (3).JPG IMG_1247.jpgIMG_1247.jpg
2 weeks later
#379 9 years ago

OK time to put the hardware on the back of the cabinet when my helper shows up

photo-1.jpgphoto-1.jpg
1 year later
#621 7 years ago

Suspect is in sight ....

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#676 7 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Our giant cat likes to remind me that frequent breaks will help me to avoid repetitive stress injuries...

That cat looks so similar to mine. I'm still not sure what he is, we think he's part main coon part something else, what do you think ?

#680 7 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

We were told by someone that our cats might be "Norwegian Forest Cats" but I haven't got a clue. We got our cats (two brothers) from the Humane Society.

The resemblance is amazing, I looked up Norwegian forest cat and it does have a lot of the same characteristics. I've had many cats over the years but these ( main coon mix, or NFC or whatever they are) have very unique personalities. Very playful even as they age and just great temperaments.

11 months later
2 months later
#1224 6 years ago

I was playing a game of Champion Pub and Hobo jumped on the glass and was fascinated by the boxer. I think if the glass was off he would have jumped on the playfield and kicked his ass!

IMG_4129 (resized).JPGIMG_4129 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#1266 6 years ago

I bet you gave her a lot of love, and I bet she gave you a lot in return. Gorgeous cat, so sorry ....

6 months later
#1412 5 years ago

Sorry about Lucky, very hard thing to have to go through, hope you get through the grieving process ok.

2 months later
#1439 5 years ago
Quoted from Deerlakes6:

Garth unhappy to see gorgar go
[quoted image]

Quick look and thought the leg bolt holes were the cats paws

3 months later
#1611 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I have recently lost my Gato. I put her out on New Year's Eve at 2:00 AM. When I went out at 4:00 AM to let her in, she was nowhere to be found. I haven't seen her since.
In honor of Gato's life and what she meant to me, I present to you:
A Gato Story
How a Black Cat Stole My Heart and Taught Me to Love
I am not a cat lover. I have good reasons for that. During my second year of college, my girlfriend, her room mate and I would meet each evening for dinner. Both were good cooks.
Before dinner, the room mate would feed the cat, the male long-hair yellow and white cat, Roscoe. The food that went into this evil creature was disgusting and smelled awful. What came out the other end smelled even worse. For some unknown reason, the cat litter box was placed next to the dinner table and next to where I sat. Guess when the cat decided it was time to use the litter box. Right, during the eating of my tasty home cooked meals. I hated that cat. It wasn't friendly and it ruined my dinners.
Several years later, my girlfriend bought me an Abyssinian cat. I never warmed up to the cat. It was always in the garbage and wasn't very friendly. My girlfriend got the cat.
Thirty some odd years later, I was gardening in my backyard when a black cat strolled into my yard and sat her butt down on the ground. It was curious, even interesting, but I thought nothing more of it at the time. It just sat there watching, eventually getting closer and closer and finally ONTO MY back porch. This cat had some nerve! I didn't WANT a cat so I completely ignored it - for three long months. There was no petting, no food and no water, no nothing. I wouldn't even look at her. If it had been a male, it would have been chased away immediately. Feral males are disgusting. They spray everywhere and, after Roscoe, I had bad vibes about male cats.
The cat would catch her own food and bring it back to my back porch to eat it. She officially 'moved in' and decided this was the place for her. After three months though, three months (!) of this strange relationship, I finally gave in and bought her a bag of cat food. That was a sad day in my life - imagine ME actually paying good money for cat food!
I called her 'Gato', the Spanish word for 'cat.' It stuck.
Gato, the year she decided to make me hers:
[quoted image]
I taught her some tricks. Some were meant to keep here safe. She had to sit, wait and look at me at the sliding back door before she was allowed inside. I didn't want a cat under foot. I could hurt her. When in her cat bed, I would cover her with a 'blanky' and whisper. "Go to sleep Gato!" She would put her head under the blanky as if she was going to sleep. Then she got a Gato Goodie. I taught her to lean backwards and 'meow' when I would meow. I called this trick the 'back-breaker with report!' Of course, she got a Gato Goodie for such an awesome trick. I got an idea after hearing her on the roof. I put some food in the rafters and she would jump up to claim her prize.

In her later years, she was no longer able to perform such feats of gymnastics. When it was time to eat, I put her food in a dish and held it up. She would sit up and touch the dish with her paw. Then I would spread some food on the ground and she would sit up again before she was off to find the food on the ground. It wasn't exactly hunting for her food, but I think it was more fun for her to seek out some of the food than just having it handed to her. Most of the food ended up in her dish. I put the dish up on the window ledge where it was easier for her to get to instead of the rafters.
It's been more than fourteen years now since Gato plopped her butt on my landscaped yard. Gato was as good a cat as a cat could be. She was only allowed into my bedroom when I slept. For a while, she wouldn't pester me to try to get me up. She waited until I got up. She did all of her 'business' outdoors so there was no litter box and litter to buy. She was very healthy, saving me from expensive vet bills.
The last few years she has decided that she wanted to be fed three times a day, breakfast at 4:00 to 5:00 AM, lunch at 10:00 to 12:00 and dinner at 10:00 to 11:00 PM. She yowled, 100 decibel yowling! I finally learned to let her out when she wanted out.
Gato was part mystery and part miracle. Vets here in Tucson say that outdoor cats have a two year lifespan. I live only a block away from the Pantano wash and a lot of predators use this wash to travel. They often make their way into my neighborhood and back yard looking for food and water. I have seen skunks, raccoons, javalina, hawks coyotes and rattlesnakes. My neighbor's small dog was killed by a Red Hawk. So, it is a small miracle that she managed to live this long. She was totally bonded to me. She wouldn't go anywhere near another person or animal and she was a wonderful companion for an old bachelor who doesn't interact with a lot of people. How did she live so long? She must have more than 9 lives!
The last pictures I have of Gato:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I keep telling myself that nothing much will change in my life, but, of course, it will. I'm not ready for another pet - maybe someday, but there won't ever be another Gato. It's going to be lonely here at Pecos' Palatial Pinball Parlour. I will miss Gato, truly, and that is something for someone who didn't like cats.

Sorry Dude, but you're a cat person now! They sure do have a way of getting under your skin. You caught a really good action shot of her leaping at the end of that video, perfectly captured! So sorry for your loss...

3 weeks later
#1705 5 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

That's typical after an extended vet visit. One cat doesnt recognize the others scent. It will get better shortly once that nasty vet smell wears off

try brushing him and they make a slightly scented pad you wipe them down afterward to take the loose hair, they smell real good afterwards. Can get you the name if you need it LMK.

#1706 5 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

try brushing him and they make a slightly scented pad you wipe them down afterward to take the loose hair, they smell real good afterwards. Can get you the name if you need it LMK.

IMG_6286 (resized).jpgIMG_6286 (resized).jpg
#1723 5 years ago

Hobo just survived his iodine treatment for hyperthyroid and is back to work as the NYP quality control supervisor! Making sure I do a good job sanding the back of the cabinet, glad to have him back!

IMG_6384 (resized).jpgIMG_6384 (resized).jpgIMG_6385 (resized).jpgIMG_6385 (resized).jpgIMG_6388 (resized).jpgIMG_6388 (resized).jpg
#1724 5 years ago

This one's for neemypeemy, I think you have Hobo's sibling

IMG_4496 (resized).jpgIMG_4496 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#1819 5 years ago

Looking at Calvin's picture you can see he has a beautiful soul. They are extremely resilient, I hope he manages to pull through all this. When any animal stops eating it needs to be taken serious. I had a cat with a inoperable tumor in her head and she stopped eating one day. I did a YouTube search and found a vet who showed how to put the cat food in a blender and then into a big basting syringe. Holding the cat in my arms she allowed me to squirt the food into her mouth. She lived for another 4 years with me feeding her like this 3 times a day. I wish Calvin and your family the best, my prayers are with you.

1 week later
#1842 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

He's getting better, but still not 100%. We had him back on Monday for another $500 in blood tests and they found that he had really low levels of Potassium, so they gave us yet another set of pills. He is now on 10 pills a day along with liquid twice a day. We are hoping that changes as his levels return to normal.
I'm sure you can all imagine how difficult it is to give a cat one pill, let alone 10. We'll know more in the weeks to come.
The vet maintains that he is in no pain and is just tired so we are going to continue the pill route for now, but as he regains his strength, it's becoming increasingly difficult to get him to take his pills. This would be so much easier if the little guy would just cooperate.
Thanks for asking about him.

I'm sure you already know about pill pockets, sometimes they help, some cats don't go for it. If you only have 1 cat and they don't eat each others food, sometimes you can chop up the pills into the food. Many times they make liquid versions of the meds. I had good luck cradling them in my arms, forcing the mouth open and sort of throwing it into their mouth. Vet probably told you all this but just in case. Good Luck, we're all rooting for him!

#1854 5 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Had to start pilling my tabby for thyroid problems and it's changed his behavior. I wish there was another way to get treatment to cats. Food helps some but not with all pill types. He now runs from me when it's pill time. Also is timid about coming up for pets or when it's time to come in from the patio. It's not hard to pill him just he's fearful of getting picked up cause he knows whats coming.

If he's hyperthyroid they have a Iodine-131 Therapy treatment that has a high success rate.

1 week later
#1874 4 years ago

So Sorry to hear about Calvin, he had a very expressive face. I've been a cat lover/owner since forever and had to put many of them down over the years when the time came. It's such a difficult thing to do, playing god, knowing when the right time is, missing them so badly, they are so innocent and loving it's hard to let go. My heart is with you and your family.

4 weeks later
#1928 4 years ago

Sorry to hear about Oreo, I had a cat named Oreo, they looked very similar, beautiful cat. Sounds like he went quick and painless, sometimes that's better than going slow and painful. I know that probably doesn't help much but sorry for your loss.

3 months later
#2064 4 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

My helper...[quoted image][quoted image]

That's one beautiful looking cat !

5 months later
#2259 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

I found this thread a little too late. Last night my cat who loved pinball passed away. It’s going to be very hard knowing she’s not going to be around rubbing against the legs and mine. Life is short, but your cats life is much shorter. Enjoy them everyday while you can. She was my girl, and I’m gonna miss her very much[quoted image]

I wish they lived longer too! They are precious creatures, so sorry for your loss.

1 month later
#2395 4 years ago

Sorry to hear the bad news. At least you were able to give the cat a loving home instead of it being in a shelter or out on the street. Sorry for your losses.

1 month later
#2486 3 years ago

my first cat Tootsie was brought to the vet when she was a kitten for spaying and the usual shots and fed the cheapest cat food I was able to find. She never went to the vet again until she got old and stopped eating when she got sick and I had to put her down, at the ripe old age of 25!

2 weeks later
#2527 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Here’s a sad story with a happy ending. Last Friday my wife was driving to work at a pharmacy in Target. She noticed what appeared to be a dead cat on the edge of the highway. Except, it wasn’t on its side, but huddled down upright on its paws as if frightened. For some crazy reason, she pulled onto the shoulder and walked back. The cat was alive, and terrified. It let her approach and then pick it up. She could see some wounds and then a collar with a tag. She put the cat in the back of her suv on a towel. She called the number on the tag and a young woman answered. The owner was a young (19-20) woman who worked at a different Target. She was very worried and said she didn’t know what to do. My wife said “come get your kitty and take him to the urgent vet care now.” She did, and called my wife later to thank her. The cat suffered dehydration and some wounds, probably from another animal. He had been missing 4 days. He was an indoor only cat. He was placed on IV fluids and given shots and wound care. The vet expected him to survive, but said he might not have lasted another day. (Especially if near a highway). My wife was focused on the cat’s rescue, so no pics yet. But a reunion is being planned, so she can meet and thank the kitty for making her a hero! I was very proud of her courage!

Worried and didn't know what to do??? Post ads on Facebook, Craigslist , anywhere. Put "lost Cat" posters on every telephone pole you can find! Drive around the neighborhood looking until you run out of gas! Call a shrink or a doctor and go to therapy to understand why you're so stupid and irresponsible that you can't keep a cat from escaping outside. Your wife is a keeper, for sure!

1 month later
4 weeks later
#2652 3 years ago
Quoted from Birdnest:

Guarding the kitchen sink
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cute picture but me thinks that cat needs to go on a diet!

2 months later
#2757 3 years ago

It's official, Hobo likes GNR's the best!

hobo GNR (resized).jpghobo GNR (resized).jpg
5 months later
#3119 3 years ago

Sorry Cosmo, Let's face it, no matter how long they live it's never enough, so sorry for your loss.

1 month later
#3188 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pics , cats sure are resilient!

7 months later
#3617 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

This is our cat Willie, who we foster-to-adopted three years ago. He belonged to a veteran for 9-10 years, who lost his residence and couldn't keep him any longer, so we adopted him. I stay in touch with his former owner to let him know how he's doing.
Yesterday he began having trouble breathing and we took him to an animal hospital this morning. The diagnosis unfortunately was heart failure, and she believes he may have 3-6 months left. He's really the most affectionate little guy and this is tearing me up. If you're reading this and could just have a good thought for him, I'd appreciate that.
[quoted image]

I cringe when I hear these posts, so sorry to hear about Willie. I’m obsessed with my cat and become unhinged with just the thought of him not being around someday. He’s survived a few close calls and is getting old so I treasure every minute with him. Try to spend as much time with Willie as you can. Remember that because of you he had a much better, healthier and happier life than if he was a stray. Best of luck!

3 months later
#3836 1 year ago
Quoted from jibmums:

This is my goofball Willie, who I first wrote about in post 3606. He lost his battle with heart failure today. I've been his caregiver since New Years Eve, seen him through his good days, which thankfully were many, and his bad days, which thankfully were few. He dealt with his disease like a real champ for three months, and took a turn for the worse earlier this week, which even for a few days he was able to deal with. His breathing turned much worse yesterday and we knew we had to let him go. We parted ways at home in one of his favorite spots (I highly recommend this instead of taking your dog or kitty to the vet for their last visit), and as he feel asleep, he gave me the gift of one last kiss on the cheek. We'll miss you so much, Willie, until we meet again.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Choosing the right time is hard, real hard. My cat's getting up there and I'm grateful for every day. Sorry to hear about Willie, I'm sure he will be missed.

#3847 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Putting a towel around a cat and holding at the shoulders is usually safe for nail clipping and unpleasant activities while avoiding scratches and nips.

I use zip ties! JUST KIDDING!!

#3848 1 year ago

Hey cat lovers! Any of you have experience with something called hyperesthesia? It's sort of a cat anxiety attack, they get all restless and start over-grooming and twitchy etc. Diagnosing is hard and there aren't really any cures, and it's not very common although there are plenty of YouTube videos showing it. I'm not even sure if my cat has it, but he did have a couple of episodes of weird behavior. The vet took blood and x-rays and said nothing unusual. Some say it's related to or starts because of itchy dry skin, which my cat has, dandruff etc. So I have him on a regimen of daily sprayings to keep his skin moist, and brushing him more, and starting him on omega-3/fish oils which I should have had him on already. It's happened 2-3 times over the course of a few weeks but hasn't reoccurred since I've been taking care of his dry skin. But being an overprotective parent and obsessive cat lover, thought I would throw this out there so see if any of you had any experience with it, TIA

#3853 1 year ago

Thanks for the replies! My vet did give me Gabapentin but I don't want to use sedatives unless I have to. I tried it and it calmed him down but it just makes him sleepy. So far, by controlling his skin itch and dandruff, it hasn't happened so I'm praying that's what it was. Spraying him with Burts Bees dander spray and his dandruff is almost gone. I ordered some omega 3 fish oil that I can mix with his food. Similar to adding salmon oil, which I've tried in the past and it really works. For those of you with cats with dry skin, you might want to try it, it's amazing for their skin and coat, makes it nice and shiny and healthy looking. I stopped because it was a little fattening but the pros outweigh the cons so I'm starting again.

1 week later
#3864 1 year ago
Quoted from NYP:

Thanks for the replies! My vet did give me Gabapentin but I don't want to use sedatives unless I have to. I tried it and it calmed him down but it just makes him sleepy. So far, by controlling his skin itch and dandruff, it hasn't happened so I'm praying that's what it was. Spraying him with Burts Bees dander spray and his dandruff is almost gone. I ordered some omega 3 fish oil that I can mix with his food. Similar to adding salmon oil, which I've tried in the past and it really works. For those of you with cats with dry skin, you might want to try it, it's amazing for their skin and coat, makes it nice and shiny and healthy looking. I stopped because it was a little fattening but the pros outweigh the cons so I'm starting again.

So a quick followup. For the past few weeks I've been giving him omega fish oil supplements once a day mixed in with his food. Then twice a day I spray him good with Burts Bee's dander reducing spray. His dandruff is gone and so is his itchiness and he hasn't had any more strange episodes of behavior. And here I was bringing him to the vet for blood tests and setting up appointments with neurologists etc thinking is was feline hyperesthesia. So for all you cat owners, if your cat has dandruff, try to keep this in mind!

2 weeks later
#3895 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

We are about at that point. Though he does not appear to be suffering .
He still has a very good appetite. He basically lives to eat.
He sleeps/naps most of the day, except at mealtime or when we take him out to Pee & Poo.
He can no longer climb stairs/steps that is why we now have ramp on the front porch.
A lot of his mobility issues relate to our slick hardwood floors,
when Dewey dog is on carpet or the lawn he moves about fine, slow but fine,
but on the hardwood flooring his rear feet get no grip and tend to slip out from under him.
He is at his worst when first getting up from bed, like his hind legs are asleep,
but after some massaging, he becomes more mobile.
Also Rimadyl pills tend to help with his mobility.
He gets around fairly well despite his cataracts and deafness,
(maybe he just refuses to listen to us anymore)
relying more on the nose to guide him.
When he has lost his appetite and/or no longer able to get around on his own, even with our help,
We will make that hard decision to ease his suffering,
but in meantime we will continue to see to his needs and pick up after his accidents.
We will all miss him when that time comes, including his cat brothers and sisters.

https://www.amazon.com/ALMDA-Anti-Scratch-Deterrent-Accessories-Adjustable/dp/B099DBCS6H/ref=asc_df_B099DBCS6H/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nyp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cats-and-pinballs-?tu=nyp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.