Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Please forgive me if this has been covered before. I'm not really looking to define the term "shopping" per se. I'm looking to nail the term down so there is absolutely no confusion and definitely no ambiguity. My goal is to take the subjective definitions away. If my idea has been done before, please send me a link.

Ok, here goes.

What I'd like to see is defining "shopping" in terms of Categories or Stages. I'm thinking along the lines of detailing/restoring cars. Kind of like this:

Category 1 or Stage 1 = changing bulbs
    Category 2 or Stage 2 = changing rubber rings (plus above)
    Category 3 or Stage 3 = cleaning and waxing playfield (not removing parts) (plus above)
    Category 4 or Stage 4 = cleaning and waxing playfield (removing all top side parts) (plus above)

.... and so on. You get the picture. There are other things that could be included. Throw out some ideas. I think this would be helpful to noobs so when they see a machine for sale that includes a category or stage of "shopping" they know what has been done. As we all know the definition is rather vague and means many things to many people. If car, motorcycle, airplane, baseball cards, comics and other such collectibles can have a "rating" system why not something like shopping a pin?

What do you think?

#2 11 years ago

Unfortunately, "shopping" is poorly used by resellers so it really has no meaning. It should mean the pin has been fully repaired, bulbs replaced as needed, rubbers replaced as needed, reasonably cleaned, and waxed.

It does not mean the same as restored. When I hear that, I expect the machine to be nearly like new and had a full tear down.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Unfortunately, "shopping" is poorly used by resellers so it really has no meaning. It should mean the pin has been fully repaired, bulbs replaced as needed, rubbers replaced as needed, reasonably cleaned, and waxed.
    It does not mean the same as restored. When I hear that, I expect the machine to be nearly like new and had a full tear down.

i agree

#4 11 years ago

Shopping means the game is acceptably clean, no burnt out bulbs, good rubber and strong flippers. Also, there should be no outstanding functional issues.
    Essentially, the condition a conscientous operator should ideally get a machine to before being placed on location.
    That doesn't necessarily guarantee no cracked plastic or cosmetic issues.

Also there is "shopped" and FULLY shopped.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

I'm not really looking to define the term "shopping"

Walking by the machine (within 3 feet) with a rag in the "certified pinball tech's" hand (pocket doesn't count).

Robert

#6 11 years ago

Words have meanings. The term "shop job" means simply that a game is brought in from it's route location to the shop for repairs and cleaning to the degree it's functional and satisfactory to be put back into it's location. Period.

The term comes from the original purpose and purveyors of the games, ie, to be used on locations and managed by a route operator.

Prior to the collector and home market the term implied nothing more than the above. Now, of course, we have attempted to expand the meaning of "shopped" to include steps that were likely never taken by an operator. Since "shopped" is a bit ambiguous for us collector types it's probably best to just clearly define the steps we have taken to rejuvenate a game rather than use the muddy term "shopped". In fact I see more people doing that now anyway.

#7 11 years ago

Excellent informative post Cliffy!

I never knew the origin of the term "shop job", now I do.

Post edited by RobT

#8 11 years ago

Cliffy,

Thanks for the knowledge. Always wondered where the term originated. Also, I see your point and agree with you in that it may be better to explain what has been done rather than use the term "shopped". Maybe with that, the term "shopped" will just fall away. Thanks.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

Thanks for the knowledge. Always wondered where the term originated. Also, I see your point and agree with you in that it may be better to explain what has been done rather than use the term "shopped". Maybe with that, the term "shopped" will just fall away. Thanks.

You're more than welcome Indeed, when I see an ad for a game "recently shopped" I instantly picture mucky streaks from windex and paper towels. I'd almost rather see the ad that says "needs shopped", although that one grinds my nerves because of the incredibley LAZY grammar Seriously? How hard is it to add "to be" anyway? =P

3 months later
    #10 11 years ago

Thanks for posting Cliffy, like you said it is a muddy term. I was always curious of what other collectors view what 'shopped' is.

The OP has a great point, the term 'shopped' gets tossed around quite a bit in this hobby, its actually amazing how ambiguous it can be between fellow collectors.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Words have meanings. The term "shop job" means simply that a game is brought in from it's route location to the shop for repairs and cleaning to the degree it's functional and satisfactory to be put back into it's location. Period.
    The term comes from the original purpose and purveyors of the games, ie, to be used on locations and managed by a route operator.
    Prior to the collector and home market the term implied nothing more than the above. Now, of course, we have attempted to expand the meaning of "shopped" to include steps that were likely never taken by an operator. Since "shopped" is a bit ambiguous for us collector types it's probably best to just clearly define the steps we have taken to rejuvenate a game rather than use the muddy term "shopped". In fact I see more people doing that now anyway.

Well said Cliffy.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Since "shopped" is a bit ambiguous for us collector types it's probably best to just clearly define the steps we have taken to rejuvenate a game rather than use the muddy term "shopped". In fact I see more people doing that now anyway.

Amen brother... couldn't have said it better. Unfortunately the norm to most sellers (of anything in general, not pins specifically) is something akin to a political statement. Lots of ambiguous words that sound good but don't mean jack shit.

#13 11 years ago

It depends on who's shopping it

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

You're more than welcome Indeed, when I see an ad for a game "recently shopped" I instantly picture mucky streaks from windex and paper towels. I'd almost rather see the ad that says "needs shopped", although that one grinds my nerves because of the incredibley LAZY grammar Seriously? How hard is it to add "to be" anyway? =P

Or the form of the word be as in it be shopped or I be shopping it.

Then there is Fully shopped and Folly shopped as in "Man that flipper sure folly shopped this turd."
    Watch out for these guys, they will toss a York peppermint patty in the coindoor and call it "minty fresh."
    Flippers rebuilt means I left the blown up pop nest and the rest of the tired mechs for you.
    See Eturd.

#15 11 years ago

When I shop a game I...

Remove and clean all plastics
    Remove all ramps and clean them
    Replace all rubbers
    Replace blackened or burned out bulbs
    Clean playfield with Novus 1 including hidden areas
    Replace plastic posts (if needed)
    Resleeve flipper coils and clean cranks
    Resleeve other coils if needed
    New GI connectors

For us there's normally no reason to replace/re-foam targets unless they're causing crazy airballs or something. We don't wax either, our games are players' machines and we run a company budget.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/categorizing-the-term-shopping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.