• Latest reply 9 years ago by GunterS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fish_tales_catapult.jpg
#1 9 years ago

In my Fish Tales the ball from the catapult does not hit the wire ramp. It aims way to high. Without the cover the top two wires are hit and the ball even hops above, so the ball almost shoots completely over the ramp. There is no way to adjust this much by bending the wires.

I tried to maximize the way of the catapult, so it will stop only short of the ramps. I also checked the coil and replaced the sleeve to be sure. No difference.

It appears the ball is leaving the catapult 'spoon' bevor end of way is reached. This may be the centrifugal force as the catapult is very fast. I tried to film it, attached you find a picture from impact. You can clearly see the ball being considerably higher then the catapult.

The ball sits fairly loose in the spoon and can be pressed down by 2mm (plastic then widens a bit).

What can I do?

fish_tales_catapult.jpgfish_tales_catapult.jpg
#2 9 years ago

Are you missing the entire left fishing rod plastic that goes all the way up and around the left and topside of the playfield?

#3 9 years ago

I took it off for testing purposes. I did not think it is a good idea if the ball hits the plastic first and then somehow goes into the wire frame. Ball speed is greatly reduced also.

#4 9 years ago

Has it ever worked right for you? Has someone mounted the rail wrong?

Moved the coil/mechanism?

#5 9 years ago

It was working because the cover would adjust the angle. Looking at the mechanics I do not see room for adjustments (other than pin length). It also looks exactly like the drawings in the manual. Again, I am not sure why the ball leaves early.

#6 9 years ago

I conducted some more tests. I used a better camera to do a bit of high-speed filming and found that the ball is actually leaving the spoon to early, but not because it is loosing grip (earlier assumed centrifugal force). The arm is just slowing down too early.

After checking and re-checking the mechanics I was thinking: What if the impuls is too short? So I manually triggered the coil by grounding it with another cable.

Interestingly: Now the ball hits the ramp just fine.

I now assume some kind of electronics problem, but require some help on where to start.

#7 9 years ago

I just worked on a FT today with the same problem and got it fixed. Make sure the side bracket to the left of the reel is tightened correctly (I can get pics of what I'm talking about tomorrow). Also make sure your reel outer plastics for the optos are not broken. If you were to go to switch test does the catapult switch work correctly? There's also a switch that gets hit from the ball popper to reel. Make sure that works correctly. I can help you through PM if it helps

#8 9 years ago

Finally solved. Simple and surprising.

The catapult was working ok, but not perfectly before I touched it. Top wires were hit a bit at the bottom side. Edge is worn. The catapult seemed to stop early. I then shortened the pin for the flipper coil stop a bit allowing the catapult to stop later. Then I started testing with the above results.

The solution was very simple. In Test Menu, the catapult does not work correctly, the power supply is a tiny bit shorter then in real game play. When I started a normal game, put some balls in and waited for multiball to release them, all worked fine. Now ball shoots out a lot faster, too.

Post edited by GunterS: typo

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catapult-not-hitting-wire-ramp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.