Catacombsnip3 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip2 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip (resized).JPG
20230115_134232.jpg
20230115_132630.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #217 Good summary of complicated rules on bagatelle. Posted by cottonm4 (7 years ago)

Post #244 Catacomb tips. Posted by cottonm4 (6 years ago)

Post #299 Great rule summary. Posted by cottonm4 (6 years ago)

Post #311 Catacomb rules video. Posted by OTTOgd (6 years ago)

Post #328 PAPA video linked! Posted by harbngr (6 years ago)

Post #434 Analysis of Stern production numbers Posted by Shapeshifter (5 years ago)

Post #608 Roger Sharp game review for Catacomb from 1981 Posted by Shapeshifter (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zeldarioid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1278 1 year ago

Hello! New Catacomb owner here. I have noticed that, seemingly, numbers 1 and 6 from Bank A do not ever seem to be spotted when I have them lit and roll down the A chute in the Bagatelle. Is this expected, because they can be spotted via the roll overs at the top of the playfield? I don’t think that’s the case, as I believe I can collect the number 2 via the Bagatelle, but that also has a spot target on the playfield… If that is unexpected behavior, that those numbers specifically (sometimes any Bank A numbers won’t get spotted) fail in the Bagatelle, how would I go about diagnosing the issue?

#1284 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The numbers action on the play field is completely different that the numbers action on the bagatelle. Consider the bagatelle a complete separate game from the play field.
With that in mind, can you rephrase your question with regards to spotting balls , please?

So, in the Bagatelle play, whichever numbers you have selected in the ABCD banks on the playfield (selectable via the left flipper) correspond to what the Bagatelle gives you (aka lights, or “spots”) in the Toast when you roll down a given chute in the Bagatelle. For example, if I cycle and have orange lit, which corresponds to the number 1 on Bank A, and then I get the ball in the Bagatelle to roll down the A chute, if I haven’t yet collected the number 1 on the playfield through normal play (one of the top lane rollover switches or dropping the Bank A drops while 1 is lit), the Bagatelle is meant to collect it for me. Perhaps “spotting” is a loose term for this behavior, but that’s what I am referring to. Rolling down the A chute in the Bagatelle does not reliably grant me the corresponding lit number from Bank A, and I believe never grants me the 1 or 6 if they are what I have lit and am trying to collect.

#1286 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No

Correct.
Yiu need to go in to switch test and make sure the switches in the A bagatelle lane all work

That’s the kicker: I’ve done that, and they do. I’ve adjusted the leaf switches a little bit to make them more reliable, as that was the first thing I thought, but the weirder part is that it seems to be the worst w/ only the 1 and 6, never (or very rarely, if ever, but it seems like never) granting them when lit.

#1290 1 year ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

you have a switch issue in the backbox.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Check switches.

But does it behaving in the way I’m describing (not granting 1/6, but granting the other numbers) make sense w/ that in the backbox? Wouldn’t it behave the same and never spot anything from Bank A? I suppose it’s entirely possible that my sample size is too small and it just *seems* like 1/6 are never spotted and the others are, but that has felt accurate - specifically 1 and 6 never, the other two numbers sometimes.

Speaking of the backbox switches, though: Do all switches in a given chute need to be activated to count the shot? Wonder if my backglass doesn’t keep the ball in the chutes well enough to have it depress each switch reliably.

And I wasn’t entirely clear on another post I saw here about replacing the ball in the backbox. Is there an officially recognized replacement available, or is the go-to getting a wooden ball and weighting it?

#1292 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No it wouldn't make any sense, there's absolutely no importance to any number over another; thats why I assume its just perceived or coincidence

Cool, thank you for confirming Helps narrow down the scope of what to investigate!

#1297 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Let's say you select color green to shoot for your first bagatelle shot. And let's say you got green-A-14. Now, let's say you want to stay on the color green; Now, the last column you want the ball to drop into is column A. And if you see the ball might be heading for column A again you can start hitting the left flipper button to try to change to color orange or red to save the shot. To do this rotation, you have to be fast enough before the ball hits the chute.
The top switch in each column locks you in to the color you have chosen. You can hit the left flipper all you want to try and make a another color, but once you hit that top switch, you are locked in.
Of the other 2 switches, one makes your score, or cancels out your bagatelle and puts you back on the play field And I don't know what the other switch does.

Interesting! I guess I haven’t had the glass off with an actual game playing, only been in test mode…perhaps I need to spend some time w/ glass off to poke those switches one at a time to help learn which does what!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodstock, GA
$ 3.00
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zeldarioid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-club?tu=zeldarioid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.