Catacombsnip3 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip2 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip (resized).JPG
20230115_134232.jpg
20230115_132630.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #217 Good summary of complicated rules on bagatelle. Posted by cottonm4 (7 years ago)

Post #244 Catacomb tips. Posted by cottonm4 (6 years ago)

Post #299 Great rule summary. Posted by cottonm4 (6 years ago)

Post #311 Catacomb rules video. Posted by OTTOgd (6 years ago)

Post #328 PAPA video linked! Posted by harbngr (6 years ago)

Post #434 Analysis of Stern production numbers Posted by Shapeshifter (5 years ago)

Post #608 Roger Sharp game review for Catacomb from 1981 Posted by Shapeshifter (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralph67.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#96 8 years ago

Hi all , Great idea for a club

I'm restoring a Catacomb atm , for a friend and it needs 1 small wireform .
DSCF0853.jpg.3.jpgDSCF0853.jpg.3.jpg
Game needed cabinet major rebuild and a full repaint , the bottom falling out and was in a bad way . A new board was made for the cab
All this work was done by another restorer who also did the Custom coin decals on the game
DSCF0854.jpg,6.jpgDSCF0854.jpg,6.jpg
Game came to me for the rest of the work , IE Put it all back together again . rebuild all the mechs .flippers, bumpers etc , 2 small touch ups on the playfield , where the ball lands from the kickout holes .
I will send a few pics through of this work later .
I had to reinstall all the earth cabling , new power switch, power cable , line filter , speaker and volume control the list goes on! and repair all the other dodgy wiring on the transformer and connectors etc .
Around 40 hours later and its getting close to start up day!

The game is missing the small wire form located on the head box Bagatelle, This stops the plastic ball from just falling straight back down again , If you know what i mean.
Have included a pic of where it fits
The wireform is just below the "B" on the "Catacomb"
I have the correct wire and a form to make this part , can any one please take a picture or a drawing with sizes? , Thanks

Here is a few pics of some of the parts used , cabinet repainted ,and the coin entry decals a friend put together .
DSCF0855.jpg.6.jpgDSCF0855.jpg.6.jpgCatacomb 005.jpgrs.jpgCatacomb 005.jpgrs.jpg

DSCF0818.jpgDSCF0818.jpg

DSCF1101.jpgDSCF1101.jpg

#100 8 years ago

Yes i just need the wire form , i have the correct wire to make it , I just wanted pic of it to work from , but i'll just try make one to suit , thanks again . I do have a wire form that is close to what i think it looks like , ill work from that and see if i can bend one up to suit .

#101 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Man, if you mean the wire gate, just like I said before, I improvised with a paper clip.... But, below the "B" I did put a rubber between the 2 posts, and as far as I am concerned, that's the correct original Stern solution.... Can you please, enlighten me what you really need?

I see what you mean now , i just looked at the IPDB and yes you are right , i will put a rubber between those posts as you suggested / Below the B instead of the 2 single post rubbers i have on it atm Cheers

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I need hi-res PF scans to make overlays near both hole kick outs. Anyone?

This is a before pic of the area before the art restoration ,DSCF0858.JPGDSCF0858.JPG
And a couple from during and after the art work , I will get a couple of better shots from directly above for you in a few days .
010.jpg15.jpg010.jpg15.jpg
DSCF1039.JPGDSCF1039.JPG

#104 8 years ago

Thanks Dotheldoo for the excellent photos, They will help me make the needed part

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

Thanks Dotheldoo for the excellent photos, They will help me make the needed part

I made 1 good one out of the 2 that i made , very happy with the results
Thanks mate

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Can you make another one for me?

no problem , I just sent you a PM regarding the wire form...

#109 8 years ago

Thanks guys for the pics of the wire form i was missing .
here all the results ...
No 1 was a bit to short and no good , ( I then modified the design a little to stop it hitting a post rubber ) and No's 2 and 3 seem to work well .. But they may need a few tweaks when tested in a working game.
I made one for you amendes, you can throw away that hair clip , no 3 on the pics...

I remember seeing a few Catacombs around but not sure if i played it as a youngster in the early 80's.
I can't wait to play this game!!

DSCF1171.jpgDSCF1171.jpg

DSCF1171_1.jpgDSCF1171_1.jpg

2 weeks later
#141 8 years ago

They came out well the plastics , really nice work .

#142 8 years ago

I have finished the Catacomb i have had here at long last ,
over 40 hours , and thats not including the cabinet repaint .
I rebuilt /restored the rest including all the electrics, electronics and all mechs rebuilt , playfield strip, touch up and polish etc .
The game has new mpu and sol/driver also new power supply and connectors etc .
Game has custom decals on the apron and coin slots , and fitted with green pin score leds Enjoy

DSCF1194.jpgDSCF1194.jpg

DSCF1197.jpgDSCF1197.jpg

DSCF1195.jpgDSCF1195.jpg

DSCF1202.jpgDSCF1202.jpg

DSCF1203.jpgDSCF1203.jpg

DSCF1198.jpgDSCF1198.jpg

#144 8 years ago

A few better shots during the rebuild .
one showing playfield mounted in the rotisserie on top of my homemade tabletop for use with a pinball trolley ,
easy to move it around or out of the way

DSCF1101.jpgDSCF1101.jpg

Catacomb_008.jpgCatacomb_008.jpg

1 week later
#148 8 years ago

Hi guys Catacomb at its new home , being installed on arrival by the owner ,
It's been at my place getting fixed/ restored for about 12 months , but great to see another game working like new again ,
The game was pretty much a wreck , cab was rotten .
another guy fixed and repainted the box beforehand
no BG and the boards badly hacked etc etc

It now has a new repro backglass from the US and pinscore leds and new mpu power aupply and sol/dri boards

054_1.jpg054_1.jpg

#149 8 years ago

Some of the new parts used ,
Catacomb 005.jpgrs.jpgCatacomb 005.jpgrs.jpg
And this board was in the machine aaaah hacking 101
004.JPG004.JPG

005.jpg005.jpg

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Hmm ... after more tinkering, I'm not positive it is that switch. When pressing the cabinet flipper button, I can hear a hum, and see the plunger move a tiny bit, but it doesnt seem to have the strength it needs to complete the flip. Not getting enough power? Bang on the cab a few times, or press the right flipper a few times, and the left will fire with full strength.

Check End of stroke switch on that flipper , The EOS must be contacting well before it opens , you should see the resting blade slightly follow the other as it opens . Good luck

#157 8 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Bingo. EOS was not fully closed, slightest movement would open it. Sitting flush, all is good!
Now onto the myriad of bulbs not working (even with new bulbs) and a left sling shot that registers switch hits but doesnt fire.

Good news , Now the coil . Check voltage at coil .
You could try earthing the transistor Q6 (left slingshot) Q5 drives the (top left slinshot) incase you meant that ? Earth it only for a second see if it fires the coil .
Replace transistor with TIP 102 , Double check for cracked pins on the Driver board and Buzz with meter to check continuity from coil to connector on Sol/Dri board.

7 months later
#174 8 years ago

It has been quiet , Nice too see a few more shots.
Not often you see a pair of "Catacombs" together Otto

Here's a few of the Catacomb i restored last year ,

During restoration ,on my pinball trolley with "custom board" Rottisserie sits on board ,
This way i can just move the whole lot around as needed.
Catacomb_008_(resized).JPGCatacomb_008_(resized).JPG
2nd shot at the games new home.
054_(resized).jpg054_(resized).jpg
Last pics of the custom cards on the game , printed out by another pinhead over here , The same guy did the Cabinet art work too on this game
DSCF1198_(resized).JPGDSCF1198_(resized).JPG
DSCF1197_(resized).JPGDSCF1197_(resized).JPG

2 months later
#175 7 years ago

Catacomb back in the house!
This game i restored a year ago and have bought it from the owner .
Game still needs a few tweaks , such as a few looses lamp holders and i will install a new capacitor kit into the sound board.
Great game has a few sweet shots , and the ball speeds up on a few shots , just like a modern game
Still working out the Rules atm .
A few shots taken the other week , Game is now in the Classic Stern line up
How about a few more pics and/or stories fellow members...

DSCF1478_(resized).JPGDSCF1478_(resized).JPG

DSCF1476_(resized).JPGDSCF1476_(resized).JPG

DSCF1477_(resized).JPGDSCF1477_(resized).JPG

#176 7 years ago

Few more of Catacomb in the line up . so much colour!

DSCF1487_(resized).JPGDSCF1487_(resized).JPG

DSCF1488_(resized).JPGDSCF1488_(resized).JPG

DSCF1491_(resized).JPGDSCF1491_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#180 7 years ago

Thanks Guys , Love the old school Stern machines, This machine has a repro backglass , all the others ive seen here have been really flaky.
If you are interested...
A company here in Perth 'LAI' Assembled Some Stern games here To beat the high import Taxes/Duties during the mid 70's to early 80's, so i believe.

I Still have a West Australian built 'Cosmic Princess' Stern/LAI 1979 to restore 336 made . and a 'Meteor' Both Need playfield swaps ,

Other LAI/Stern games Built here include Dracula, Nugent, Meteor, Galaxy and Magic, around 300 of each title made here for Australian and New Zealand markets.
The Cabinets , Cabinet art and wiring Etc made here . Then Games Assembled here using imported Backglasses, Playfields, Circuits boards and harnesses,Doors and metal hardware etc.
The artwork is silkscreened instead of Stencilled,
You can see a comparision of the 2 Cabinets on the IPDB, Between the US made to a Stern/LAI made listed 'Dracula'
you can Looks these games up on the IPDB, under Stern/LAI, listed under knockdown games ...
Ive included a few pics, It's both my game/s thats listed btw.
oops 2 of the same pics ,
LAI tag from a "Galaxy"...

LAI_Dracula_DSCF1291_(resized).JPGLAI_Dracula_DSCF1291_(resized).JPG

US_Dracula_DSCF1334_(resized).JPGUS_Dracula_DSCF1334_(resized).JPG

US_Dracula_DSCF1334_(resized).JPGUS_Dracula_DSCF1334_(resized).JPG

DSCF1412._LAI_Galaxy_JPG_(6)_(resized).JPGDSCF1412._LAI_Galaxy_JPG_(6)_(resized).JPG

1 year later
#289 6 years ago

Hey Spiro, Scotch block , is that from a railway term? , I used to be a train drivers assistant , and we used that term, A Scotch block was a large metal clamp that could be placed over the track and locked down , to stop parked wagons/carriages from rolling back on to the main line . by either derailing them or stopping them .

Quoted from spiroagnew:

If the lamp boards can be had for a reasonable price, as the Big Game ones were, I'd be in for a set.

I am interested in a set for my Catacomb.
Mainly the centre. but saying that, the ones inside the target area are bitches to get to, so put me in for a full set too.
Does he make any for 'Meteor' ? they would sell like hot cakes!

2 months later
#339 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Do you or anyone else know if the ralph guy got this wireform made? I'm thinking of buying one of the wire bending tools from Marco and giving this try. I never know when I might need an extra.

I did make 3 , 2 were fine and I sent one to Alexsmendes. see post 109 . Dothedoo posted the measurements on here for me to work from ,
I used the wire bending jig from Marco's. And the kit will come in handy for you in the future i'm sure .
good luck , if you need any extra measurements , just call out
Ralph.

#341 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks for replying. My Catacomb has a good wireform and I thought I might to make one or two up. And then sell one for a small fortune to Tigerlaw
What kind of wire did you use and where my I buy some of it?
Thanks.

No probs mate , I used the wire supplied in the kit from Marco's , its the smallest size , but you should be able to buy the wire also from model shops , usually called 'piano wire' I also got a couple of wire bundle kits from PBR , he sells these and they contain various sizes

2 months later
#388 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Seems super hard to find a nice set of original Stern, 28.5 inch, non ribbed, silver finish, legs.
Anybody used the Bally 28.5 Grey instead? Or powdercoated in black maybe?
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=670

I have a set on my Catacomb powdercoated Charcoal on mine , they look fantastic on almost any Bally/Stern Games . Cheap too about $5 a leg to get blasted and around $6 per leg to get powdercoated , The Charcoal seem to go with any cabinet colour , I have tried silver and satin black in the past , and I find this colour looks much better .
I have painted legs before , using good quality primers and paint , but its about the same cost , and the PC is far better , just remember to run a tap through the leg leveler holes when you get them home from the powdercoaters

#393 5 years ago

In an ideal world, I would like a really nice original set but they never seem to come up for sale.
Painting silver hammerite, seems like a good option.
There is a lot of black art on the cabinet so I am tempted to go for a set of black powdercoated while I wait for a set of originals to turn up!

Any pics as curious how this looks?

Here's a few shots to compare .

I used a Gottlieb 31inch Silver PC to show the contrast from PC Charcoal to PC silver .DSCF1822 (resized).JPGDSCF1822 (resized).JPGDSCF1829 (resized).JPGDSCF1829 (resized).JPGDSCF1830 (resized).JPGDSCF1830 (resized).JPG
The Leg here on "Stars" and is Hammertone Silver PC DSCF1827 (resized).JPGDSCF1827 (resized).JPG
And these 2 are PC Charcoal on the 'Dracula' and PC Hammertone Blue on the 'Seawitch' DSCF1826 (resized).JPGDSCF1826 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#406 5 years ago

Flipper position in the backbox.

It should be resting on a metal pin , My game has one fitted for the bat to rest on .

On the alignment issues , I see your glass is out of alignment both ways . The area on the right , around the arch ,the arch could be moved slightly to the right , that may look a little better , you would need to unscrew the mounts holding the steel ball guide and redrill the holes into the wooden backbox panel so the far right of the arch and part of the top arch move slightly over to the right . As you can see in the pic there is enough art showing if you did move it across ,
DSCF1837 (resized).JPGDSCF1837 (resized).JPG

Does anyone have this fitted? , (Small timber block) Its stops the panel opening to far and destroying the pressed wood panel , I had to reglue all mine (press wood panel Edges) with wood glue when I was restoring my Catacomb , as it was almost snapped off near where the top hinge screws on from being opened up to far . This will stop this happening to you
DSCF1840 (resized).JPGDSCF1840 (resized).JPG
Good luck

#408 5 years ago

Oh, silly question - best way of putting playfield in upright position to work on? Is it meant to slide off the small metal rails and onto

Yes Best to lift it up and over , and be careful with the corner plastics , Not the greatest idea , ive seen many Meteors that the playfield corners are all broken away from being dragged up and over , not nice

#409 5 years ago

I also have that block fitted.

Cool just wondered if it was standard Cheers

#424 5 years ago

Just fired up my game for first time and have a few issues.
Game starts but no balls being ejected from shooter lane.
Can hear speech so pleased sound board working.
Pop bumpers not working.
No scoring going over rollovers.
Flippers working.
If it is a fuse, any idea which one it could be?
Thanks

Fuse under playfield, If I new fuse blows straight away , one of your coils is cooked and the transistor that drives it will need replacing , you might be lucky and its just a old stressed out fuse that failed

#431 5 years ago

Scans of original playfield wiring schematics for you . the 1amp slow blow playfield fuse at top right 2nd page .
Check all coils apart from flippers of course for free movement of operation .Including the large target reset coils .
scan0002.pdfscan0002.pdfscan0001.pdfscan0001.pdf
Smashed up 'Meteor' playfield don't let this happen to you!
DSCF1842 (resized).JPGDSCF1842 (resized).JPG
Good idea Cottonm4 with the ali angle .
Any issues with it moving the playfield to far forward , and jamming against the lock down receiver?

2 weeks later
#462 5 years ago

Well, the Bally reproduction grey 28.5 non ribbed legs look pretty decent on my Catacomb.
Probably will replace with nice original hammered silver set if I find one.
Good enough for now though and color suits this game. [quoted image]

They look great , but those bolts are not correct , someone would of replaced them with bolts from a hardware , get some proper pinball leg bolts.
How are you going with your solenoid fuse blowing problem btw?

#473 5 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Note: Stern OEM leg bolts, from that time period, are plain flat head bolts;
----- not acorn head that you see today.

Thanks for the heads up , I never knew that

2 weeks later
#484 5 years ago
Quoted from GKW:

Would someone please post a picture of the knocker, or tell me which wires go where. I just want to make sure of the correct configuration, before I fry something! Thanks!

Green wire to Banded side of diode . Black yellow to the other lug . The plug will only fit one way around so as long as the green wire goes to the banded side you should be fine

1 month later
#540 5 years ago

However if I open coin door power automatically shuts off, so I can't do anything with the door open. Any ideas?

That switch looks like the modern type, that you can pull it forwards after the door is open , grab the end and pull , it should stay out so that the game still has power .

5 months later
#733 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Just an update. Got the speech working...turned out it was a dipswitch setting. Easy.
Not so easy, the feature lights still do not work. The fuse is good.
Green or orange displays?

Check TP1 on power supply Should be about 5.4 v DC, take fuse out and re check , or to be certain put a new one in , Is the fuse clip clean , It could be not tight enough either on the fuse too , good luck , Try reseating J1 and J2 on power supply , with the game turned off of course , see it that makes a difference

#734 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Just an update. Got the speech working...turned out it was a dipswitch setting. Easy.
Not so easy, the feature lights still do not work. The fuse is good.
Green or orange displays?

I have green , they look great , I tune the brightness down a bit too , if not they burn your eyes
The 2.5 million is on a 5 ball game if you were wondering
1f437ce24e6278309d9fc8cd04c406389ca680cf (resized).jpg1f437ce24e6278309d9fc8cd04c406389ca680cf (resized).jpg

#738 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Yeh, that’s where I am leaning. Are those pinitech?

Pinscore I believe , think they all are pretty much the same really

Quoted from vec-tor:

Ralph67. Wow, what a nice setup!

Cheers Vec-tor , the line up has changed unfortunately , Since that was taken. Stars Cheetah and Quicksilver have gone to new homes , replaced by Stern Dracula and a Sea Witch

#739 5 years ago

Where do you place Catacomb in terms of gameplay with the other games in your pic?
I fancy a Stars and Quicksilver but never played them.
And Cheetah looks interesting.

Catacomb is fast and can be a ball drainer ,I do rate it highly though , good challenging game
Quicksilver is probably the best player out of all the early Sterns I have played , I haven't played them all but , great light show and sounds, when you get full bonus , the machine goes nuts, lights flashing and the best bonus countdown sounds ever.
Cheetah has more to shoot for , 3 flippers 3 slingshots , 3 spinners ,4 sets of target banks and more, really really fast for a widebody too, cool sounds, quite a few good rules to challenge you .
Stars has the chimes for sounds , 2 target banks , both have 3 targets, you need to be good at aiming on Stars , if you can leave the middle target up until last , you score extra points. Good luck with your search

#741 5 years ago

Fantastic , didn't realise you went to the trouble to get them to match the look and size of the originals , nice going , I can understand how some people like everything to look perfect , I know a few collectors like that . The pinscore Led's looks like a standard 7 segment Led to me.
I would like a buy your Blue set for my Sea Witch from you , Do you have that set in the single board type or the 2 boards type?
Either set would be okay with me
Regards
Ralph

3 years later
#1268 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My apron cards have arrived.
This is what I have been looking at for 4 years
[quoted image]
And now look at it. (sorry for the lack of a lockdown bar).
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
A side angle view to get away from the overhead light.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thought i had seen those before . they do look good .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodstock, GA
$ 125.00
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralph67.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-club?tu=ralph67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.