Catacombsnip3 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip2 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip (resized).JPG
20230115_134232.jpg
20230115_132630.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #217 Good summary of complicated rules on bagatelle. Posted by cottonm4 (7 years ago)

Post #244 Catacomb tips. Posted by cottonm4 (6 years ago)

Post #299 Great rule summary. Posted by cottonm4 (6 years ago)

Post #311 Catacomb rules video. Posted by OTTOgd (6 years ago)

Post #328 PAPA video linked! Posted by harbngr (6 years ago)

Post #434 Analysis of Stern production numbers Posted by Shapeshifter (5 years ago)

Post #608 Roger Sharp game review for Catacomb from 1981 Posted by Shapeshifter (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gkw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#312 6 years ago

So, John Greatwich made a backglass for Catacomb. The next question is, when will other parts be made? A playfield and plastic set would be nice! Instead of Star Gazer, or Sea Witch, Catacomb deserves the attention! I have a friend who can make a playfield and backbox decal, but I would prefer to have screenprinted.

#316 6 years ago

Interesting. Not enough interest in Catacomb to justify making the plastics and playfield, but the back glass was a go? It was good of John to reproduce the back glass, but why not the other stuff? If you look at what CPR has done, I don't think that all of their reproductions were based on pins with huge runs (Solar Fire comes to mind). Kerry Stair wouldn't make some Banzai Run parts for me, because he said that BR did not have a large run and he doubted that many machines were left! Then why would CPR reproduce the upper back glass, plastic set, and (soon, I hope) the playfield?

#322 6 years ago

If it makes a difference, you can count me in. Maybe CPR will see fit to reproduce the entire Catacomb project, one day. If I were reproducing stuff, I would go with the safe bet anyway, since there is no license restriction on old Stern stuff (to include Chicago Coin assets bought by Stern back in the day).

1 week later
#332 6 years ago

Does anyone have a wire color code guide? I bought a project Catacomb and I've already had to change wire positions (thanks for the pictures, Faz!) on the rectifier board. I'm having display issues and I've found a couple of hacks on a couple of the connectors on the CPU. The schematic is garbage! Can someone take a picture of the connectors on their boards and displays? The only picture on IPDB is too far away to distinguish colors and does not show the right side of the SD board. Thanks for any assistance!

#333 6 years ago

I may be interested in selling my Catacomb. I have been trying to get it working 100%, but it has some issues that I can't resolve and I have too many more projects that I need to start. So far, just to get the obvious fixed, I have replaced the following with new boards: MPU, Solenoid Driver, Rectifier, All Displays, and Sound. I have re-pinned all of the MPU connectors, Rectifier connectors, and the .156 connectors on the Solenoid Driver board. Also, I had to put a new backglass into it. Unfortunately the playfield had some wear and it needs to be shopped. The upper playfield is in good shape and the bagatelle gate is present. I also have the original ball for the upper playfield. I will take $2500, if anyone is interested.

3 months later
#399 5 years ago

I really hate to do this, but I think the community needs to be aware of a problem with the Greatwich reproduction Catacomb backglasses. When I bought my game several months ago, I knew that I was going to need a backglass. I purchased the last one that Marco had and put it aside, until I got the game working and cleaned up. You can imagine my dismay after I installed it. I have reached out to John and Marco to make this right, but no one seems interested. Just thought everyone should know. In case you don't see it, the artwork is off in several places, most noticeably around the displays and mini playfield.

20180618_150454 (resized).jpg20180618_150454 (resized).jpg
#414 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Did you also have issues with the glass thickness? I have a greatwich seawitch glass and I had to shim all the displays so they didn't touch.

I bought one of the very first Seawitch back glasses and it was very thin. I didn't have to shim anything, but that is not to say that you won't have to. There was no problem with the thickness on the Catacomb reproduction.

#415 5 years ago

I need to make a correction. Earlier, I stated that I felt as though I were not getting any support from Marco, or John Greatwich. I had a very pleasant phone call with Mark, from Marco today. He was very helpful and I am completely satisfied with the outcome. Over the years, I have spent a great deal of money on parts from Marco and they have bought plenty of parts from me. Our business relationship is fully restored and I have complete confidence in their ability to supply the industry with much needed parts and provide courteous, professional customer service. I look forward to my next purchase with them!

Today, I spoke with Clive at Coin-op Cauldron about the VSU-100 Stern speech boards. He told me that these boards are "dead" once the TSI 14001A integrated circuits are not working, as there are no more of these available anywhere. If there is anyone with some of these, care to spare a couple? I also went so far as to contact TSI about the possibility of making more of these, so I will let everyone know what they respond back with. Through an internet search, I found that back in 2005, a guy named Rob Williams was going to re-make the VSU-100, but there was no further mention of this anywhere. If anyone has knowledge of this, would you please post something here, so that everyone watching this thread know what the latest is?

Lastly, if anyone wants to read up on the development of the TSI 14001A, here is a very interesting article about the IC and its creator:
http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/development_of_the_tsi_speech-.html

#417 5 years ago

Unfortunately, yes.

#419 5 years ago

We will have to wait and see if anyone knows what happened to Rob Williams and his desire to re-create the VSU-100. I have reached out to TSI, but I am pretty sure that they have no desire to remake the TSI 14001A; let's keep our fingers crossed.
I am with you. With supply being extremely limited and demand being great, I am sure that someone will eventually come up with something, but in the meantime, unscrupulous hoarders will profit greatly. Remember the dark years before Rottendog came along? Those were very desperate times! Think of all of those less WPC-95 titles sacrificed for their AV boards! Rottendog came along and flooded the market (in a very good way!) with new products that had not been produced in a very long time. Unfortunately, there was a problem with his AV board, so he stopped making them. I am sure that someone will step up to that one too.

1 month later
#483 5 years ago

Would someone please post a picture of the knocker, or tell me which wires go where. I just want to make sure of the correct configuration, before I fry something! Thanks!

#485 5 years ago

Thank you for the help! My game was so severely hacked when I bought it and the wiring for the knocker was questionable.

On a side note, I have found a guy that has 30 TSI 14001A speech processor ICs for sale, all working. To order, go to: http://www.gameroomrepair.com/ICparts/ICparts.htm#S14001

Once these are gone, that's it, so get them while you can.

1 month later
1 month later
#663 5 years ago

Wouldn't it be possible to recreate one, using 3D technology? I didn't know that CPR would sell only 1 or two plastics, instead of a set. I did see on their website that they have the complete plastic set and a pre-order for the playfield.

2 months later
#677 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Anyone have a Backglass?
Has anyone bought a translite?

I bought a reproduction from Marco last year and it was off, terribly. I then bought a translite from Classic Arcades and while it too is a little off, it is way better than the backglass.

#678 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

One week ago - this is expensive.
Catacomb - $2700
Complete machine. Playfield needs some restoration. Pop bumpers rebuilt, complete new flipper assemblies (left one sticks up sometimes), three new coils installed (pop bumper, outhole kicker, knocker), Alltek CPU, Rottendog Solenoid Driver Board, new NVRAM Weebly sound and transformer rectifier boards, new connector cables (sound to CPU), new displays, new rubbers, some new bulbs (no LEDs), new shooter rod (and springs). Original backglass was shot, so this comes with a new translite. Speech not working (could be bad board components or bad TSI chip but comes with 2 NOS TSI chips. I will include an extra speech board, if I can find it.). New power cord installed. Backbox playfield in good shape, with original gate and original ball (in good shape). Cabinet and legs in good condition. Owners manual included.

I am the one selling this pin. I will take $2000 for it, if anyone is interested. I haven't worked on it, so everything is still the same.

20180618_150102 (resized).jpg20180618_150102 (resized).jpg20180618_150107 (resized).jpg20180618_150107 (resized).jpg
#680 5 years ago

Hey John, everything is cool. Marco refunded me for the glass. I had to replace all of the displays right off the bat, so the backglass was installed with the new displays. These displays are the Rottendog version. I totally understand about the quality control issues. I will continue to buy your products, because of your attention to detail and salesmanship!

#682 5 years ago

Years ago, I bought one of your first Sea Witch back glasses on ebay, when you were doing that. I remember paying around $150, which was a steal! It looked great and I regret selling that pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 125.00
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gkw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-club?tq=&tu=gkw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.