Topic Stats

• 950 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 305 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 6.26.22 PM (resized).png
IMG_2738 (resized).jpg
IMG_2734 (resized).jpg
IMG_2735 (resized).jpg
IMG_2740 (resized).jpg
IMG_2737 (resized).jpg
IMG_2742 (resized).jpg
20191220_020022 (resized).jpg
20191220_015921 (resized).jpg
December2019banner (resized).jpg
gorilla-specialty-anti-slip-tape-60270-64_1000 (resized).jpg
DB9E0883-D51C-47F9-9133-F0D9B0B7C268 (resized).jpeg
02EAA361-5D67-4265-98AB-2DE2E9840D3E (resized).jpeg
cat (resized).jpg
IMG_2556 (resized).JPG
IMG_2557 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 950 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 19.
#351 1 year ago
Quoted from PavBall:

I need to rank it. I won my first ever IFPA event on Friday night thanks to Catacomb. I was dubious about the game before but now I absolutely love it!!

Well, you sure came a long way in a short period of time Grows on you, don't it

#352 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, you sure came a long way in a short period of time Grows on you, don't it

Hell yes it does. I just rated it. I used a quote I read you say about the game being easier to understand than explain in this thread in my rating. Haha!

2 weeks later
#353 1 year ago

Does anybody have a spare bagatelle gate they would be willing to part with?

I have tried to fabricate one but have been unsuccessful.

Added 20 months ago:

This is for Tigerlaw’s Catacomb. Just tweaking and cleaning it up for him...

#354 1 year ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Does anybody have a spare bagatelle gate they would be willing to part with?

Bump for the question for the spare bagatelle. If no one has an extra bagatelle hanging around does anyone know how to fabricate the part or have any suggestions? Thanks!

#355 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Bump for the question for the spare bagatelle. If no one has an extra bagatelle hanging around does anyone know how to fabricate the part or have any suggestions? Thanks!

Tigerlaw, I think I have found a wire bending tool that will do the trick. The manufacture is already closed for the day.

Wire bending is a skill I have been wanting to learn. If this tool will do what is needed I can use the wire off of my Catacomb for a model. I'll call the shop in the morning and let you know what I find out.

PM me if you want.

#356 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Tigerlaw, I think I have found a wire bending tool that will do the trick. The manufacture is already closed for the day.
Wire bending is a skill I have been wanting to learn. If this tool will do what is needed I can use the wire off of my Catacomb for a model. I'll call the shop in the morning and let you know what I find out.
PM me if you want.

Awesome!!! Yes, that would kick some major ass!

#357 1 year ago

Here is what I used to make the gate. It’s not perfect, but it works.

http://s622.photobucket.com/user/pinball_faz/library/Catacomb%20Ball%20Gate?sort=3&page=1

#358 1 year ago

Very nice, what do you use for the wire?

#359 1 year ago
Quoted from Spagano314:

Here is what I used to make the gate. It’s not perfect, but it works.

I saw the original post yesterday looking for info on the gate. I was going to take measurements of mine... I completely forgot that I posted the photos on photobucket... I think that was in RGP days. Boy I regret using PhotoBucket now. That site is a HUGE PITA to work with and if you try to buy the services it's stupid expensive.

If it's too much of a pain using the photos or you need another measurement PM me... I'll try to dig up the originals.

Best of luck,
faz

EDIT: I did not realize, I have the originals on my laptop. I created a new thread with full sized photos:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-bagatelle-ballgate#post-4429172

Spagano314
tigerlaw

#360 1 year ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

I saw the original post yesterday looking for info on the gate. I was going to take measurements of mine... I completely forgot that I posted the photos on photobucket... I think that was in RGP days. Boy I regret using PhotoBucket now. That site is a HUGE PITA to work with and if you try to buy the services it's stupid expensive.
If it's too much of a pain using the photos or you need another measurement PM me... I'll try to dig up the originals.
Best of luck,
faz
EDIT: I did not realize, I have the originals on my laptop. I created a new thread with full sized photos:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-bagatelle-ballgate#post-4429172
Spagano314
tigerlaw

Do I assume correctly that one person has made both of the posts? I see the pics of the gate but do not see any pics showing what you used to make the gate. Would you please clarify?

Thanks

#361 1 year ago

Just to clarify, I didn’t not create the photos of the gate. I found them online in my desperate search on how to recreate the gate. I used a vice and a pair of duck bill pliers. I’m sure there is a better method. I built 5 or 6 different versions of the gate before i finally tested one that I was happy with. I used stainless steel piano wire. I originally purchased 3 different gauges and picked the gauge based on the holes in the brackets where the wire rested.

#362 1 year ago

I was able to procure some .045 wire and was able to bend one up with some special pliers I have. It worked---sort of. It would keep hanging up and not return to the rest position. As I kept tweaking it the wire broke. I have more wire so I will work on this as my time allows. Maybe we can get there.

I called about a bending tool and left a message. Waiting for return call.

#363 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Do I assume correctly that one person has made both of the posts? I see the pics of the gate but do not see any pics showing what you used to make the gate. Would you please clarify?

I posted photos years ago of my original ball gate. I did not fabricate anything.
faz

#364 1 year ago

I plan on selling my very nice Catacomb soon. If there is any interest please send me a PM.

8/10 - Everything is very nice and game is very clean. Pictures will come soon gauging interest.

#365 1 year ago

I suppose I should of asked. What kind of Value should I put on Stern Catacomb?

This game is very clean, fully functional, nice plastics, minimal wear. Playfield is 8/10.

Back glass is nice, with one one barely noticeable ding.

#366 1 year ago

All of the classic Sterns have been growing in demand and value the past few years. Show us some pics of the cab, playfield and boards and I’m sure you’ll get some good pricing advice. Do you have sunken or raised inserts?

#367 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I suppose I should of asked. What kind of Value should I put on Stern Catacomb?
This game is very clean, fully functional, nice plastics, minimal wear. Playfield is 8/10.
Back glass is nice, with one one barely noticeable ding.

You might want to rebuild the pops before you list it and show a video of the pop action. I agree with what cottonm4 said earlier in this thread that Catacomb really thrives with super active pop bumpers, the game needs them.

You never really see Catacombs come up for sale. I’ll be curious to see what you can get for your game. Good luck.

#368 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

PM me if you want.

You did it Cottonm4!!!

Got my ball gates from you and they look and work like factory! Fits and works perfectly, couldn't be happier.

I know these gates are hard to re-create but however you did it....you did it and it works perfectly. Anyone needing a gate go hit up Cottonm4, you won't be disappointed.

I had a previous replacement from someone but it kept sticking open after awhile (don;t know what it is about these which make it so hard to recreate)...this one works perfect. Thanks!!!

#369 1 year ago

technicalsteam my buddy xq11 may be interested. Expect a PM or a message from him in the coming hours.

#370 1 year ago
Quoted from charles4400:

You did it Cottonm4!!!
Got my ball gates from you and they look and work like factory! Fits and works perfectly, couldn't be happier.
I know these gates are hard to re-create but however you did it....you did it and it works perfectly. Anyone needing a gate go hit up Cottonm4, you won't be disappointed.
I had a previous replacement from someone but it kept sticking open after awhile (don;t know what it is about these which make it so hard to recreate)...this one works perfect. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the shoutout. I scrapped a few before I saw what I was doing wrong. I play tested them in my own Catacomb before I sent them to you. But I have to admit I was concerned that with differences in machines that they might not work good for you. I'm glad to hear you are up an running.

EDIT: Did my instructions on how to install the ball gate wire help you and make for an easy install?

#371 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

More
Thanks for the shoutout. I scrapped a few before I saw what I was doing wrong. I play tested them in my own Catacomb before I sent them to you. But I have to admit I was concerned that with differences in machines that they might not work good for you. I'm glad to hear you are up an running.
EDIT: Did my instructions on how to install the ball gate wire help you and make for an easy install?

Instructions helped. Installed them like you suggested and didn't have any problems at all. Went in and works without a hitch!

#372 1 year ago

I plan on selling my very nice Catacomb soon. If there is any interest please send me a PM.
8/10 - Everything is very nice and game is very clean. Pictures will come soon gauging interest.

PM sent

#373 1 year ago

Pictures will come soon. Kind of busy

#374 1 year ago

Pictures will come soon. Kind of busy

Thanks for the update.
Lookin' forward.

1 week later
#375 1 year ago

I want to thank cottonm4 for the nice job he did on tigerlaw ‘s Catacomb gates. I installed them and it really made a difference with scoring on the game. Great work!

#376 1 year ago
Quoted from Jodester:

I want to thank cottonm4 for the nice job he did on tigerlaw ‘s Catacomb gates. I installed them and it really made a difference with scoring on the game. Great work!

I'm glad to hear they are working for you.

The first two I made were for the scrap bin. Third one I broke was the one for my game. With mine being broke I was super motivated to make them correctly Then I found the groove and made a couple of good ones. Then I scrapped a couple more and figured out my mistakes.

As the song says, "When you're hot you're hot..." I took advantage of the groove I had going and made 12 good ones. The tricks I learned that night about bending wire is going to prove useful in the future.

I can't imagine anyone ever needing this part in the first place, so in case someone else is hurting, I have 7 more I can ship if anybody else has a broken wire gate.

Every one of these has been play tested in my own Catacomb. They all work 100%.

IMG_7106 (resized).JPG

#377 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Every one of these has been play tested in my own Catacomb. They all work 100%.

NICE!
faz

#378 1 year ago

I got a wire gate from cottonm4, they work and they are awesome!.

Ive gotten some (more than a few) gates from others throughout the years and they stay up every so often. Not cotton's, he found the secret to making it work consistently. It looks like it would be an easy reproduction but its not.

Whoever might need one for now or future catacomb purchases I would grab one, these gates are not easy to make correctly.

Thanks Cottonm4 im really happy with mine!!!

#379 1 year ago

Anyone looking to part with a Catacomb? No rush here, just throwing out a feeler...

1 week later
#380 1 year ago

First classic Stern - been waiting a long time for the right condition game.

Mine has the letters in the grid, not numbers.

Guessing letters were on early sample/prototypes.

Wonder why they switched to numbers? To make the game harder maybe and make more money on location?

As for production numbers, it's strange there are no records. Looking at similar games and availability, I would say 1500 maximum for the production run.

Thanks to Cottonm4 for fixing me up with a gate

#381 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Mine has the letters in the grid, not numbers.

Guessing letters were on early sample/prototypes.

Numbers first. Letters second.

#382 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Numbers first. Letters second.

My opinion is that it would be easier to play with the letters, but how do you know it was numbers first letters second?

#383 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

but how do you know it was numbers first letters second?

Because, I was at the distributors when the game first came out.
I have to admit, I was confused about the bonus numbers for a long time.
I guess Stern got a lot of complaints about the confusion.
So... they simplified the look.

#384 1 year ago

Mine is super-restored and plays like a dream, but I need a ball gate. How much?

#385 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Interesting!

Strange that there don't seem to be many letter versions?

Any idea on numbers produced for this game?

#386 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

That makes sense. I admit that for appearance purposes that I look of the 16 digits in the Bonus Square. It is a Magic Square (each column and each row and each diagonal total to 34) and the digits fit the Magic Square theme, but...

Digits (resized).png

when your bagatelle target is A - B - C - D ......

Box (resized).png

the bagatelle is easier too shoot with the alphabetic Bonus Section. If the "Red A" is not lit is easy to figure out that you need to shoot for Column A as opposed trying to remember that the "Red 6" lies in Column A.

Alphabet (resized).png

As Shapeshifter asks: What are those elusive production numbers? In total and of each type of Bonus Section? Will we perhaps discover what happened to Amelia Earhart before Catacomb production numbers surface?

Added 19 months ago:

" purposes that I look of the 16 digits" should read "purposes that I like the look of the 16 digits"

#387 1 year ago

Seems super hard to find a nice set of original Stern, 28.5 inch, non ribbed, silver finish, legs.

Anybody used the Bally 28.5 Grey instead? Or powdercoated in black maybe?

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=670

#388 1 year ago

Seems super hard to find a nice set of original Stern, 28.5 inch, non ribbed, silver finish, legs.

I have a set on my Catacomb powdercoated Charcoal on mine , they look fantastic on almost any Bally/Stern Games . Cheap too about $5 a leg to get blasted and around $6 per leg to get powdercoated , The Charcoal seem to go with any cabinet colour , I have tried silver and satin black in the past , and I find this colour looks much better .
I have painted legs before , using good quality primers and paint , but its about the same cost , and the PC is far better , just remember to run a tap through the leg leveler holes when you get them home from the powdercoaters

#389 1 year ago

cottonm4 told me that he had taken steel legs and spray painted them a hammertone silver color. You’d need to lightly sand the legs so that the paint will adhere will and stay long term

#390 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

cottonm4 told me that he had taken steel legs and spray painted them a hammertone silver color. You’d need to lightly sand the legs so that the paint will adhere will and stay long term

Yes. I have done that and will do so again. Any painted leg is easy to make a color change on. And while chrome is not the best media for paint adhesion, if you have a crappy old rusted chrome leg you can clean it up with some vinegar, scuff it with some sandpaper, and paint it any color you like. It might peel on you; It might not. But after all, it is just a pinball leg that is not going to be doing anything but sitting there at ground level. If it starts peeling (but I doubt that it will) just slop a little more paint on.

#391 1 year ago

In an ideal world, I would like a really nice original set but they never seem to come up for sale.

Painting silver hammerite, seems like a good option.

There is a lot of black art on the cabinet so I am tempted to go for a set of black powdercoated while I wait for a set of originals to turn up!

Quoted from Ralph67:

I have a set on my Catacomb powdercoated Charcoal on mine , they look fantastic on almost any Bally/Stern Games . Cheap too about $5 a leg to get blasted and around $6 per leg to get powdercoated , The Charcoal seem to go with any cabinet colour , I have tried silver and satin black in the past , and I find this colour looks much better .
I have painted legs before , using good quality primers and paint , but its about the same cost , and the PC is far better , just remember to run a tap through the leg leveler holes when you get them home from the powdercoaters

Any pics as curious how this looks?

#392 1 year ago

The " toast " is critical.....

DSCF6660 (resized).JPG
#393 1 year ago

In an ideal world, I would like a really nice original set but they never seem to come up for sale.
Painting silver hammerite, seems like a good option.
There is a lot of black art on the cabinet so I am tempted to go for a set of black powdercoated while I wait for a set of originals to turn up!

Any pics as curious how this looks?

Here's a few shots to compare .

I used a Gottlieb 31inch Silver PC to show the contrast from PC Charcoal to PC silver .DSCF1822 (resized).JPGDSCF1829 (resized).JPGDSCF1830 (resized).JPG
The Leg here on "Stars" and is Hammertone Silver PC DSCF1827 (resized).JPG
And these 2 are PC Charcoal on the 'Dracula' and PC Hammertone Blue on the 'Seawitch' DSCF1826 (resized).JPG

#394 1 year ago

Nice legs! Charcoal does look very nice, better than silver.

Now, we all know the issues with modern Stern shooter lanes and the need for protection.

Contrast to Stern 1981 and I was amazed how good this shooter lane is.

And I do have playfield wear, down to wood by KO hole, which just shows how much better quality of shooter lanes was back then.
IMG_3521 (resized).jpg

#395 1 year ago

I am in the middle of a 40 hour clean/rebuild on my game which is a nice original example.

Always a bit surprising knowing that the game can't have played 'right' for the previous owner and so wonder how much more it would have been enjoyed playing fresh?

Flippers and pop bumpers need re-building - that will make a huge difference to gameplay.

4 sets of drop targets need cleaning and disassembling - not looking forward to this at all. Guess you have to remove entirely from game?

I noticed the spinner spins quite slowly so I just cleaned the metal parts properly. It now spins about 3 times faster!

Hoping September time to finally play the cleaned and re-built game

#396 1 year ago

I am in the middle of a 40 hour clean/rebuild on my game which is a nice original example.
Always a bit surprising knowing that the game can't have played 'right' for the previous owner and so wonder how much more it would have been enjoyed playing fresh?
Flippers and pop bumpers need re-building - that will make a huge difference to gameplay.
4 sets of drop targets need cleaning and disassembling - not looking forward to this at all. Guess you have to remove entirely from game?
I noticed the spinner spins quite slowly so I just cleaned the metal parts properly. It now spins about 3 times faster!
Hoping September time to finally play the cleaned and re-built game

Don't let people get frustrated and ultimately you sell your game. Learn the toast and how to play. The game is absolutely wonderful for advanced players. I see alot of frustration and it revolves around knowing how to play. I am surprised on some of the negative press this game gets around bonus, bagatelle and locking balls. All of which is carefully designed to perfection. I have a HUO example and mine is going nowhere. Owned for the last 15 years. I love the "Toast"..... You are doing the right thing by full restore.

#397 1 year ago

Some pins you can play a half-decent game with a weak pop bumper. Not Catacomb. The pops and those 16 toast lights have to be 100%.

Yes. Long shank screwdrivers are nice to have.
Remove the two screws that hold the switches to the drop body first.
Then remove the solenoid coil. (I am in the process of attaching all of my coils with molex connectors).
4 screws attach the drop body to the play field.

With drop body in your hand reinstall the two screws you removed when releasing the switches. Once you get everything apart, take two small pieces of duct tape and tape the screw plate to drop body plate. When going back together, the last thing you will be doing is installing the switches and that is much easier to do when you have switch plate taped to the drop body.

My sequence for removal is not etched in stone. Do it in way comfortable for you. Don't forget to tape that screw plate or your language will deteriorate.

#398 1 year ago

That’s funny and so true. While you’re in the cabinet, light up those flipper buttons!

5A5D62A5-D157-4999-9DED-1DBDD24B6FA2 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#399 1 year ago

I really hate to do this, but I think the community needs to be aware of a problem with the Greatwich reproduction Catacomb backglasses. When I bought my game several months ago, I knew that I was going to need a backglass. I purchased the last one that Marco had and put it aside, until I got the game working and cleaned up. You can imagine my dismay after I installed it. I have reached out to John and Marco to make this right, but no one seems interested. Just thought everyone should know. In case you don't see it, the artwork is off in several places, most noticeably around the displays and mini playfield.

20180618_150454 (resized).jpg
#400 1 year ago
Quoted from GKW:

I really hate to do this, but I think the community needs to be aware of a problem with the Greatwich reproduction Catacomb backglasses. When I bought my game several months ago, I knew that I was going to need a backglass. I purchased the last one that Marco had and put it aside, until I got the game working and cleaned up. You can imagine my dismay after I installed it. I have reached out to John and Marco to make this right, but no one seems interested. Just thought everyone should know. In case you don't see it, the artwork is off in several places, most noticeably around the displays and mini playfield.

Unacceptable.
I am shocked that they would be so nonchalant.
Do you suppose there was a reason it was their last?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rochester, NY
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 950 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 19.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside