IMG_3456 (resized).jpeg
20230124_065850 (resized).jpg
Catacombsnip3 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip2 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip (resized).JPG
20230115_134232.jpg
20230115_132630.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 29.
#251 6 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Agreed. I'll bet I drain through the outlanes about 90% of the time on Catacomb...if the ball careens towards the outlane, forget it, it's gone. Especially since I believe in pretty tight tilts. It's unbelievably brutal and unforgiving...but that's part of the game's charm, I guess.

What I have learned with Catacomb, and Dragonfist, is that you have to loosen up the tilt bobs. These two pins are made to be nudged and jostled around. Nudging Catacomb has given me back approximately 50% of my outlane balls. All you have to do is give it a shake and the ball will hit that rebound rubber knob and the ball will be yours for a bit longer. Seawitch, I rarely shake it--- but Cat and Dragonfist exist to be nudged.

You have to learn to nudge Catacomb or you will not be happy. Loosen your bob ( a lot) and try it. It is not going to hurt the pin.

Mine had a pair of red Super Bands rubber knobs on the outlane posts and those were impossible. I switched back to standard white rubber knobs and outlane play action improved tremendously.

1 week later
#252 6 years ago

Pinball Rescue said they would do a run of Catacomb plastics if we can collect at least 10 people. Please post if you're interested and i'll supply the list to them for consideration.

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Finally replaced all my plastics with a new reproduction set and as far as I'm concerned it looks amazing.... If anyone wishes to acquire a full set or just a few parts, please PM me!

#254 6 years ago

i'm in for a new set, but ideally just need the plastic above the "B" bank drops. And the spider on the top right.

#255 6 years ago

Put me down for a set.

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Pinball Rescue said they would do a run of Catacomb plastics if we can collect at least 20 people. Please post if you're interested and i'll supply the list to them for consideration.

I'm interested but would need to know the cost before I confirmed. Thanks.

#257 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

cost before I confirmed.

I asked for pricing. Also, I made a mistake. The minimum is 10 plastic sets. Anyone else want in?

#258 6 years ago

put me in for 2 sets please

#259 6 years ago

I'm in for 1 set

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

My repro plastic set arrived. Since its a first run, it still got some minor issues to deal with, but it surely looks good!

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Another trial of the plastic set arrived today!
Still 2 minor issues to deal with (lack or mis-position of the holes)... overall it looks good!
Third time will be the charm!

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Finally replaced all my plastics with a new reproduction set and as far as I'm concerned it looks amazing.... If anyone wishes to acquire a full set or just a few parts, please PM me!

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

All right man, I'll get you back in a few.... meanwhile, 2 more pics!

I ain't got this pin anymore but I want to help an awesome friend of mine, so, to be more clear/specific:

Any quantity of amazing repro plastics available right now, directly from Brazil! US$ 200.00 for the complete set (BG plastics included), or any individual plastic at the average price of US$ 20.00 each.

Shipping costs not included. You guys can figure out how to maximize your investiment!

PS I: click on my quotes above for pics....

PS II: ask sofaspud for references!

PS III: Redketchup and Ralph67 gets discounts for... well, you now why!

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I asked for pricing. Also, I made a mistake. The minimum is 10 plastic sets. Anyone else want in?

I'm in at the price point discussed in Quicksilver thread. Thanks!

#262 6 years ago

Yeah... Looks like pinball rescue is somewhere around $120.

#263 6 years ago

anyone else interested in pinball rescue plastic set. I need 3 more to be considered for their sets in queue.

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

anyone else interested in pinball rescue plastic set. I need 3 more to be considered for their sets in queue.

Sadly this club is not very active. Might take awhile to get the attention of owners that don't normally post in here. Let's keep it bumped and see if we can fill those three orders.

#265 6 years ago

I so agree on activity. and a bump as well

#266 6 years ago

It's ok. I think I have enough.
I passed along the names of people interested.
I know from making aprons that people don't need a part until they have the game or many collectors don't surf pinside hoping for parts. They wait for distributors to have them available.

2 weeks later
#267 6 years ago

Hey everyone - I got a brand new repro plastic kit with these 3 pieces (pics below), ready to go for US$ 100.00 shipped ww.

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-07 at 11.13.49 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-09-07 at 11.13.49 (resized).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-07 at 11.13.47 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2017-09-07 at 11.13.47 (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#268 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

PS II: ask sofaspud for references!

Yup - Alex is straight up and the plastics are excellent.

2 months later
#269 6 years ago

Just received word this morning that our Catacomb is almost finished on its partial restore and will ship to us next week.

1 week later
#270 6 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

Just received word this morning that our Catacomb is almost finished on its partial restore and will ship to us next week.

So... where's your Catacomb?

#271 6 years ago

Sold my Catacomb to Tom Petty (RIP) a few yrs ago. Wonder what happened to it.

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from sofaspud:

Yup - Alex is straight up and the plastics are excellent.

Thanks buddy! Hey... show us some pics of your Catacomb!

#273 6 years ago

Checking interest for a run of 10 complete plastic sets + shipping to a single address in the USA for US$ 1.700,00;

Or 5 sets + shipping = US$ 1.000,00.

Plastics can be shipped starting 2nd week of January.

Lmk!

#274 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

shipping to a single address

What did Marco say?

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

What did Marco say?

Nothing yet! I talked to Steve, actually, I'm waiting for his return...

#276 6 years ago

Steve Young? Why would he care about Stern Plastics...
Or you mean someone at Marco Specialties named Steve.

#277 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

So... where's your Catacomb?

Alas...more parts were found missing. Turns out PavBall and I bought an incomplete project game missing many parts. I should have realized this when the seller refunded us $150 when he saw it was missing the lockdown bar before he shipped it, but the game sat wrapped up for a long time and so we missed it.

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Steve Young? Why would he care about Stern Plastics...
Or you mean someone at Marco Specialties named Steve.

Steve @ Marcos...

1 week later
#279 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Checking interest for a run of 10 complete plastic sets + shipping to a single address in the USA for US$ 1.700,00;
Or 5 sets + shipping = US$ 1.000,00.
Plastics can be shipped starting 2nd week of January.
Lmk!

No one? Well, that really was a bummer...

#280 6 years ago

I might be in for one, but my Catacomb is buried deeper than an Alabama tick so I can't see if I need a set.

#281 6 years ago

And my set is in perfect condition.

#282 6 years ago

The reality is, not every pinball collector is on pinside. Or if they are, many don't check it often enough to comb through for possible preorders.
Your best bet is to sell a number of plastics to Marco Specialties. That way you get paid and can ship to one location. They can sit on the inventory until collectors buy it and They can deal with shipping.
This way everyone wins.

3 weeks later
#283 6 years ago

Several months ago a Pinsider made up some lamp boards for Nine Ball and Big Game so we could get rid of the pesky lamp clusters. He made replacement 555 wedge type lamp boards. They work like a dream.

I have recently got my Catacomb up and running all the way but lights in the middle of the play field are a PIA. I would like to have one of these type of boards for my Catacomb. I would also like to have a set of 4 boards for those 4 lights at each drop target.

These are the lamp boards on my Nine Ball.

I'm looking to see if any other Catacomb owners would be interested in being able to switch to 555 wedge type bulbs on their Catacombs.

6ae192a2a3d32257a320badf66940f060009b894 (resized).jpg6ae192a2a3d32257a320badf66940f060009b894 (resized).jpg

f26ac00a0d9d7985823c8996b0937a97ddc26fed (resized).jpgf26ac00a0d9d7985823c8996b0937a97ddc26fed (resized).jpg

#284 6 years ago

what's the advantage of these? I have been reading about similar thing with Meteor.
If the current setup works fine, why put this in?

#285 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

what's the advantage of these? I have been reading about similar thing with Meteor.
If the current setup works fine, why put this in?

I cannot argue it as an advantage since you can replace each socket individually on Catacomb.

For me , it is a preference, of sorts. I need to replace several sockets on my Catacomb and I find that I am really liking the 555 wedge type bulbs better than the #44/#47 bayonet bulbs. So I thought I would see if anybody else might be interested with the option of switching to the 555s.

#286 6 years ago

ya, I might be interested in that as well. would be a pain to change a bulb. But if you swapped to leds with an ocd board, it would prob not have to happen to often.

main thing is price, also would be a big pia to resolder all of those wires.

#287 6 years ago

If the lamp boards can be had for a reasonable price, as the Big Game ones were, I'd be in for a set.

#288 6 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

If the lamp boards can be had for a reasonable price, as the Big Game ones were, I'd be in for a set.

Well, Spiro, that makes two of us.

#289 6 years ago

Hey Spiro, Scotch block , is that from a railway term? , I used to be a train drivers assistant , and we used that term, A Scotch block was a large metal clamp that could be placed over the track and locked down , to stop parked wagons/carriages from rolling back on to the main line . by either derailing them or stopping them .

Quoted from spiroagnew:

I am interested in a set for my Catacomb.
Mainly the centre. but saying that, the ones inside the target area are bitches to get to, so put me in for a full set too.
Does he make any for 'Meteor' ? they would sell like hot cakes!

#290 6 years ago
Quoted from Ralph67:

Hey Spiro, Scotch block , is that from a railway term? , I used to be a train drivers assistant , and we used that term, A Scotch block was a large metal clamp that could be placed over the track and locked down , to stop parked wagons/carriages from rolling back on to the main line . by either derailing them or stopping them .

I am interested in a set for my Catacomb.
Mainly the centre. but saying that, the ones inside the target area are bitches to get to, so put me in for a full set too.
Does he make any for 'Meteor' ? they would sell like hot cakes!

You are #3. THe guy who would be making these is doing some checking around.

I'll ask him about Meteor.

#291 6 years ago

I might have been too negative. but put me down as well.

#292 6 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

I might have been too negative. but put me down as well.

Welcome #4

2 weeks later
#293 6 years ago

My Catacomb is finally here. Any one know what this part is or where it goes?

F5B393BE-9445-48D7-9406-87DA6A1B3419 (resized).jpegF5B393BE-9445-48D7-9406-87DA6A1B3419 (resized).jpeg50723B7D-6654-4D31-A3BB-3094E82017C0 (resized).jpeg50723B7D-6654-4D31-A3BB-3094E82017C0 (resized).jpeg

#294 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That is a stand up target face used on Star Gazer and Dragonfist. You do not need it for your Catacomb. They can be bought new and yours is faded. There is no value there.

Looks like HEP did you a nice job.

#295 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That is a stand up target face used on Star Gazer and Dragonfist. You do not need it for your Catacomb. They can be bought new and yours is faded. There is no value there.

Good! I was worried it needed to be installed somewhere and I couldn't figure out where it would go. Ha!

I'm happy its here in the collection. Been a long time. It's a really cool game. I need to read your posts from earlier and figure out the rules.

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Has there been a definitive answer about the number of games produced? Pinside lists 3,943. IPDB doesn't list a production run figure, which is rare for them. I'd trust their published number over any other site. On IPSND, outside of a European three digit serial number (sample game?), the lowest submitted serial number is 5094 and the highest 5805, with only sixteen serial numbers submitted overall for the game.
I know IPSND's serial reporting process isn't conclusive evidence of a production run, however, it is a good barometer to measure production trends. If the IPSND numbers are to be extrapolated correctly, Catacomb may have a production run closer to that of Stargazer (869 units). Given the game's confusing gameplay for regular arcade-goers back in the day and the "You Don't See Catacomb Too Often" reports from collectors, does it look to club members here that production run may be around the thousand mark?

I've quoted myself from above. I'm still trying to flesh out the production run numbers for Catacomb. If you have not already done so, kindly post a photo of your game's serial number so I can submit it to the IPSND.

Also, welcome to the club, @tigerlaw! Game looks great.

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Several months ago a Pinsider made up some lamp boards for Nine Ball and Big Game so we could get rid of the pesky lamp clusters. He made replacement 555 wedge type lamp boards. They work like a dream.
I have recently got my Catacomb up and running all the way but lights in the middle of the play field are a PIA. I would like to have one of these type of boards for my Catacomb. I would also like to have a set of 4 boards for those 4 lights at each drop target.
These are the lamp boards on my Nine Ball.
I'm looking to see if any other Catacomb owners would be interested in being able to switch to 555 wedge type bulbs on their Catacombs.

awesome work you been doing to my old Catacomb / The guy with the QUicksilver sold it out from under you so I didn't bother with giving you his info..
Well done on not boring with Catacomb . Glad you enjoy it

#298 6 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I've quoted myself from above. I'm still trying to flesh out the production run numbers for Catacomb. If you have not already done so, kindly post a photo of your game's serial number so I can submit it to the IPSND.
Also, welcome to the club, tigerlaw! Game looks great

Thanks. I’ll get it to you tomorrow. My office (where it is located) is closed for Fat Tuesday today. The joys of being in Louisiana.

#299 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Good! I was worried it needed to be installed somewhere and I couldn't figure out where it would go. Ha!
I'm happy its here in the collection. Been a long time. It's a really cool game. I need to read your posts from earlier and figure out the rules.

Let me simplify those rules since I have been playing it for awhile.

There are 4 drop target assemblies: A, B, C, and D.

We will use drop target A; The others will be the same.

PART "A"

Drop A has four inserts colored red, green, blue, and orange. These inserts each light up in a rotating manner. You knock down all three drop targets and whichever color/number is lit when the last target is dropped has a corresponding number in the Bonus/toast section that will light up. When you knock down the three drops the 2nd time, one of two things will happen. If the last target drops when a different color/number is lit you will see its corresponding number light up in the Bonus section. However, if the same color/number insert was lit as the first time then nothing will light up in the Bonus section.

You need to keep attacking Drop Target A until you get all four corresponding inserts lit in the Bonus section. If you are lucky it will only take you four attempts at dropping the drops to get all four lights lit up. However, if you keep hitting insert #1/orange that is all you will get because each light is only good for one hit. There are all luck shots; You cannot plan what you will hit. You are not that fast.

Keep attacking Drop Target A until you get all four lights in the Bonus section lit.

Once you complete Drop A, then move to Drop B and repeat. Then C. Then D. You will now have all 16 lights in the Bonus section lit and get the big points.

PART "B"

You can certainly play the game as I just described, but the proper way to play is to attack the drop assemblies in rotation. When you first start a ball, Drop A will be lit up. Once you get Drop A down then Drop B will light up. After you knock down Drop B then Drop C lights up. After you knock down Drop C then Drop D lights up. After you have knocked down all four drops in rotation the Extra Ball insert lights up in the return lanes. And you now have will have four inserts lit up in the Bonus section.

If you perform PART "A" to perfection and you perform PART "B" to perfection you have played a perfect game. But that is not likely to happen.
Catacomb is fast, the ball can get very wild and it will test your flipper and nudging skills to the max. If you don't know how to nudge you are not going to have a very good time and you will get crappy scores.

PART "C"

This is the bagatelle function. This is the part of Catacomb that turns people off. I sort of look at the bagatelle function as the same thing as a DMD pin's moving the game to the DMD after a ball has drained.

In PART "A" and PART B" I described the prefect game. Since you are playing perfect you do not need the bagatelle part of the game. You already lit all of the lights.

However, since your pinball skills stink and you do not play prefect games, you need the bagatelle function to get all of those lights lit. So, while the service manual and the play field call the 16 lights in the center of the play field the BONUS section, I think the more accurate way is to refer to the Bonus/bagatelle function is that it is a CRUTCH. Since you don't play perfectly you need a CRUTCH to get those other lights.

Sorry to blow everybody's bubble, but basically the BONUS section is the CRUTCH section of the game. If you play perfect, you don't need the BONUS section to get all the lights lit. Only the weaker players need the BONUS which makes it a CRUTCH. And if you don't play perfectly and if the CRUTCH was not there, you would not be able to play the game at all. You would never be able to get any good scores.

Playing the Bagatelle: The bagatelle is not easy to play. There is more hope than skill to play it. But as you get better with your flipper skills you can use some flipper handling tricks to try and get the ball into the chute you need it to go down. Just like the Drop Targets talked above, the more lights that are lit, the more of a challenge you will face in completing bagatelle.

I'll stop here as I already have droned enough. Just keep attacking those four drop target assemblies. If you can do them in rotation it gives you the chance for the extra ball. But playing the drops in rotation is not necessary for points.

Catacomb has a tricky skill shot but you will figure it out. Same for the spinner.

Catacomb demands that your two pop bumpers be in tip top shape. They need to be snappy or you will be playing the crappiest pinball ever made.

Good Luck.

#300 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That target is supposed to go above the 'Spot 2' on the mid-left of the playfield:

100_9015 (resized).JPG100_9015 (resized).JPG

50561f5a3188904d34761007270fa46c085cb6bf.jpeg (resized).jpg50561f5a3188904d34761007270fa46c085cb6bf.jpeg (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
$ 3.00
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 125.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-club/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.