IMG_3456 (resized).jpeg
20230124_065850 (resized).jpg
Catacombsnip3 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip2 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip (resized).JPG
20230115_134232.jpg
20230115_132630.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 29.
#201 7 years ago

I think the run is higher than 1000. Quicksilver is 1201 and I see more Catacombs than Quicksilvers.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I think the run is higher than 1000. Quicksilver is 1201 and I see more Catacombs than Quicksilvers.

Using the IPSND stats on Quicksilver, you can almost see the entire 1201 run of games through the 22 serials submitted--the lowest is 10068 and the highest is 11146.

The lowest Catacomb, ignoring that oddball three digit number, is 5094, and the highest is 5805.

Catacomb and Split Second are the only two games from the classic Stern era that don't have production runs listed on IPDB.

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

The lowest Catacomb, ignoring that oddball three digit number, is 5094, and the highest is 5805.

Mine is 5338.

#205 7 years ago

If anyone wants to post a picture of their Catacomb serial number I'd be happy to add it to the IPSND on your behalf (I am an admin for the site). If we can collect more serial numbers maybe we can try to help narrow down a production number.

#206 7 years ago

Where is the serial number? My sound board has a sticker #05092 but it may not be original. All other boards are not numbers matching.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Joined the club...hazoff was willing to part ways with his game! I have not set it up yet due to space constraints. I'm just wandering into the club here now and I left to wonder if he got the reboot issue taken care of before he sold it to me!!

Tried to like this game but its just not for me, I reseated the connectors and I didn't have a reboot again so I hope it was just a loose connection.

#208 7 years ago

Voila

IMG_4191 (resized).JPGIMG_4191 (resized).JPG

#209 7 years ago

Aha! Thanks man! 5342 here!

#210 7 years ago

IMG_20170203_061924 (resized).jpgIMG_20170203_061924 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170203_061920 (resized).jpgIMG_20170203_061920 (resized).jpg

#211 7 years ago

That's really cool. Ours is with the restorer so I can't check the number right now, but I'll ask him.

#212 7 years ago

hey all, played one of those for the first time yesterday and I have been trying hard to understand the rules.

Not sure what the standup target do? Spot 1, 2 or 6, when they are lit up? It seems to some time spot a letter?

Also the drop target bank, A/B/C/D, the letter is some time lit up and some time isn't, does that change anything?

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

hey all, played one of those for the first time yesterday and I have been trying hard to understand the rules.
Not sure what the standup target do? Spot 1, 2 or 6, when they are lit up? It seems to some time spot a letter?
Also the drop target bank, A/B/C/D, the letter is some time lit up and some time isn't, does that change anything?

#214 7 years ago

thanks watching the video and another one I think I got a couple answer:

-During bonus round, left flipper help select a color which should be done to go on the one with the most lights missing
-Lit A,B,C,D light on drop target bank done in order lit EB on in lanes.
-I am still not 100% sure what the spot 1, 2 and 6 stand up target do but I have a feeling it spots these numbers on the grip. The main issue with our local version is that our grid is all A/B/C/D and has no number, which I assume is either a newer or earlier release version?

#215 7 years ago

Cramming for SCS, Germain?

Quoted from hisokajp:thanks watching the video and another one I think I got a couple answer:
-During bonus round, left flipper help select a color which should be done to go on the one with the most lights missing
-Lit A,B,C,D light on drop target bank done in order lit EB on in lanes.
-I am still not 100% sure what the spot 1, 2 and 6 stand up target do but I have a feeling it spots these numbers on the grip. The main issue with our local version is that our grid is all A/B/C/D and has no number, which I assume is either a newer or earlier release version?

#216 7 years ago

just curious... we discussed the games thoroughly to try and understand the rules but it isn't easy wit the limited information on the rules card

#217 7 years ago

I now have a Catacomb. Serial number 5175. Very clean machine. It has a couple of small problems with some jury rigged wiring that I am straightening out.

IMG_3151 (resized).JPGIMG_3151 (resized).JPG

Like everybody else, I am trying to figure out the rules for the bagatelle. Here is one item I notice: As long as you keep lighting a new number in the "toast" section, you get to keep going. As soon as you trigger a light you already have lit, you are kicked back to play field with a ball in the chute.

While what follows does not help all that much with understanding the rules, there has to be a key to the rules somewhere in this magic square.

What you have in the center of the play field is a Magic Square. This one is called the 4 x 4 Durer magic square. There is more info. at this link.

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/magic.square/adler/adler.whatsquare.html

and this link. (the one on the play field is reversed from the one in the link. The author created it in 1514 and the two numbers in the "toast" reflect that.

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/magic.square/al.html

The magic part comes in because in all four rows and all four columns, each column or row, the total of the numbers is 34. The bonus for each completed line is 34,000 points. If you add the four rows together you get 136. On the play field, it says super bonus is 136,000.

That is about as mathematically inclined as I can get as I still try to understand the rules.

Here is a pic showing the addition for the rows, the columns, and the diagonals.

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 9.16.43 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-02-11 at 9.16.43 AM (resized).png

And this pic shows how each of the four colors of lights ad up to 34.

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 9.38.04 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-02-11 at 9.38.04 AM (resized).png

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What you have in the center of the play field is a Magic Square.

I just got a Catacomb, too.... My wife wandered through the gameroom the other day after I had set it up. She said, "Oh, that's a magic square!" and proceeds to tell me about the magic number of 34 in the rows, columns, diagonals and colours. I was dumbfounded. I did a bit of reading but didn't really see the math in it all.

And then I read your post. Great way to visualize it! Thank you.

It seems you and my wife are on the same wavelength...

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What you have in the center of the play field is a Magic Square. This one is called the 4 x 4 Durer magic square. There is more info. at this link.
http://mathforum.org/alejandre/magic.square/adler/adler.whatsquare.html
and this link. (the one on the play field is reversed from the one in the link. The author created it in 1514 and the two numbers in the "toast" reflect that.

Very interesting!! Thank you!!

3 weeks later
#220 7 years ago

RE: Production Run

Just to bring everyone up to speed, the Internet Pinball Database doesn't list production numbers for Catacomb, and Pinside lists an ungodly high number that I have serious doubts is correct given the numbers that have been submitted to the Internet Pinball Serial Number Database. I still think there were only about 1,000 made.

I've asked Jay from the Internet Pinball Database about the production run of Catacomb, as the IPDB has some pretty in depth production information about other Stern titles from the era. Here's a snippet from our PM (that I hope he's okay with me sharing here):

"(I have) provenanced Old Stern production run numbers run from 1977 Stampede through 1982 Iron Maiden. I have that data on a list with Stern's letterhead, so I believe it. Except my Old Stern data skips over 1981 Spit Second and 1981 Catacomb. I've asked Gary Stern if he has Old Stern data, and he said nope, its all gone. Mr. Pinball Price Guide 2014 Edition indicated 3,943 made. PinballEric's Price Guide 9th Edition shows "N/A"."

We can assume Pinside is taking the Mr. Pinball number and using it in their Catacomb game data. Either way I have a hard time believing that they made 4K copies of this title, and I'd like to know where this number came from. I'll keep digging.

Please continue to post photos of your serial numbers so that I can update the serial number database...this may be the only way we obtain a ballpark figure of how many games were made.

2 weeks later
#221 7 years ago

here is my serial.

WP_20170326_07_21_20_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170326_07_21_20_Pro (resized).jpg

#222 7 years ago

harbngr Thanks! I've added it to the IPSND.

3 weeks later
#223 7 years ago

IMG_20170418_185308 (resized).jpgIMG_20170418_185308 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161002_172120 (resized).jpgIMG_20161002_172120 (resized).jpg

IMG_20161002_172110 (resized).jpgIMG_20161002_172110 (resized).jpg

#224 7 years ago

So AlexSMendes, your got a cat back? is that your old one or did you manage to find another one in brazil?

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

So AlexSMendes, your got a cat back? is that your old one or did you manage to find another one in brazil?

Oh well.... it's still in the house but it's not officialy mine. You see, I traded it awhile ago with a buddy for a XFiles, but since he had yet to restore his game, we agreed that he would take the Catacomb only when his XFiles arrive.

The sad thing is that all the Cat's cables are disconnected, so the machine is stored without seeing any game-play for over a year now... If only I knew it would take that long...

1 week later
#226 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Like everybody else, I am trying to figure out the rules for the bagatelle. Here is one item I notice: As long as you keep lighting a new number in the "toast" section, you get to keep going. As soon as you trigger a light you already have lit, you are kicked back to play field with a ball in the chute.

That is very helpful. Really looking forward to getting my Catacomb back shortly and trying this out some.

Any new club members recently?

#227 6 years ago

What are some good powder coat options for this title? Anyone have any photos with a powder coat job?

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

What are some good powder coat options for this title? Anyone have any photos with a powder coat job?

I think we will have to get rather creative with the powder coat.

#229 6 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

I think we will have to get rather creative with the powder coat.

Don't powder coat your Catacomb. Polish the stainless or go with chrome. I like polished stainless, myself. Others do not.

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Don't powder coat your Catacomb. Polish the stainless or go with chrome. I like polished stainless, myself. Others do not.

That is a good idea. I think that's the way to go as well.

#231 6 years ago

A very nice looking Catacomb surfaced on Friday in the flea market area of Allentown Pinfest 2017. I think the price was somewhere around $2000 or $2200. I snapped a picture after the price tag was removed, so one can assume it sold. (Serial was 5291.)

000-pins81 (resized).jpg000-pins81 (resized).jpg

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

A very nice looking Catacomb surfaced on Friday in the flea market area of Allentown Pinfest 2017. I think the price was somewhere around $2000 or $2200. I snapped a picture after the price tag was removed, so one can assume it sold. (Serial was 5291.)

Great condition on the cabnet.

3 weeks later
#233 6 years ago

Does anybody know how to turn off that growling ?? // dragon?? sound? I don't mind the speech but that growling that comes on every time you hit some podunk switch is getting annoying.

Dip switch #8 is supposed to turn background sound on and off, but the incessant growling continues.

How do I turn it off? Anybody know?

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Does anybody know how to turn off that growling ?? // dragon?? sound? I don't mind the speech but that growling that comes on every time you hit some podunk switch is getting annoying.
Dip switch #8 is supposed to turn background sound on and off, but the incessant growling continues.
How do I turn it off? Anybody know?

Sounds like you may be selling your Catacomb soon.

#235 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Sounds like you may be selling your Catacomb soon.

Nope. Not selling. I like the game play. I even like the bagatelle. I like it with the talking on. The growling sound is annoying and I would like to find a way to turn it off. But it is not "I'm gonna sell it" annoying.

#236 6 years ago

I can see how that would be annoying. It doesn't bother me, but the background sound does.

2 weeks later
#237 6 years ago

The more I play this game, the better I like it. The better I like it, the more I play. The more I play, the better I get. The better I get, the more I play. The more I play...........

I was not completely sure what to expect when I went chasing this pin. What You Tube movies there are (and there are some good YT movies for Catacomb) do not give this pin justice, IMO.

The ball movement is fluid and fast. And you get lots of flipper friendly shots. And then the machine shows you who is boss. You work for every point you get. I'm glad I managed to get a Catacomb.

#238 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The more I play this game, the better I like it. The better I like it, the more I play. The more I play, the better I get. The better I get, the more I play. The more I play...........
I was not completely sure what to expect when I went chasing this pin. What You Tube movies there are (and there are some good YT movies for Catacomb) do not give this pin justice, IMO.
The ball movement is fluid and fast. And you get lots of flipper friendly shots. And then the machine shows you who is boss. You work for every point you get. I'm glad I managed to get a Catacomb.

Yep, Catacomb is an amazing game. I agree the YT videos don't do it justice. We need to get a better video made.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Did you figure out how to turn off the growling or did it grow on you? We really can't wait to get our Catacomb back. Should be sometime soon.

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

Did you figure out how to turn off the growling or did it grow on you? We really can't wait to get our Catacomb back. Should be sometime soon.

I have not figured out how to turn it off. I have just learned to ignore it. When I get a killer ball going all sounds sort of fade into the background as I concentrate on keeping that ball in action. It is such an adrenaline rush to play.

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I now have a Catacomb. Serial number 5175. Very clean machine. It has a couple of small problems with some jury rigged wiring that I am straightening out.

Very good help on rules in that post. I marked it as a key post for everyone.

#243 6 years ago

Thanks. It will be a few weeks yet for shipping.

1 week later
#244 6 years ago

_________________________________ How to play Catacomb.

This is a rough draft. There are redundancies where I may talk about the same thing two, or three, or more times. It is subject to revision.

I don't know everything about Catacomb and I hope what you read does not make it sound like I think I know it all; I don't. If you know this game and see some items I did not get quite right, post it on the thread and I will revise my writeup. Hopefully, with spell check there will be no spelling errors. However, there could be some grammatical errors. Let me know and I will correct them.

If you have knowledge of the items I write about and have suggestions on how I could write them in a more clear and concise manner, please speck up.

If I leave you confused and scratching your head, by all means tell me so.

My objective is to have a well-written set of instructions so that anybody who steps in to play Catacomb for the first time can have sort of a road map to help out and have fun playing this pin. I won't guarantee that these instructions will make you a better player on Catacomb, but at least you'll KNOW WHY your are getting your ass kicked by this pinball machine

Thank you.
--------------------------------------------------------

A few posts earlier I wrote up some information detailing how the 16 lights inside the "toast" section of Catacomb play field was laid out in the form of a Magic Square. If the term magic square has you scratching your head, roll up to post #217 where you will find me talking about the Magic Square.

1) I am going to talk about how Catacomb is two games in one.
2) I am going to talk about the two different ways to light up the 16 lights in the Magic Square.
3) I am going to talk about how Catacomb Multi-ball works in conjunction with the Magic Square.
4) I am going to talk about how Catacomb awards Extra Balls.
5) I am going to talk about my own invented term I call "Inside Square" just so I can write with clarity.
6) Most of what I will be writing about are in the apron card instructions and owner's manual instructions.

A lot of people have been turned off to Catacomb because of the back box portion of this game along with lighting up the 16 lights in the middle of the play field. Perception is everything and if someone has a bad experience with Catacomb they may write up a review of how "lacking" Catacomb is and warn you off of a pin that you really should try for yourself instead of being fed negative waves. I am hoping to change peoples’ perceptions about Catacomb because it has become a pin that I am having a bang up time playing. I almost did not buy my Catacomb because of some of the negative reviews; That would had been a terrible mistake.

In an earlier post I mentioned my observation that the lighting maze in the center of the play field was laid out in the form of a Magic Square. While The Magic Square is what the entire basis of Catacomb is based on, you, the player, do not need to be concerned about Magic Square as it not a necessary item to understand in order to play Catacomb. However, I will be talking about Magic Square many times as I write. Know that it is a magic Square---and then don't worry about it; It will not affect your game.

I am writing this for someone who is familiar with the Catacomb play field layout. Or for someone who can access a Catacomb to learn the play field layout. This is not going to be for the casual reader.

For purpose of brevity, Catacomb will be referred to simply as Cat
For reference, the Magic Square has been referred to as the “toast” on Pinside and Stern’s blueprint calls it the Bonus. I like Magic Square and will stay with that. So, Toast, Bonus, and Magic Square are all referencing the 16 lights in the middle of the play field.

Cat is two games in one. The first game is the play field game where you are hammering the drop targets. The second game is the back box game.

Let's talk about the play field game, first.

The Play field game:_________________ BANGING THE DROP TARGETS

1) I will be talking about Cat’s four drop target assemblies. The Stern blueprint refers to the four drop target assemblies as Drop Target Bank “A”, D. T. Bank “B”, D.T. Bank “C”, D.T. Bank “D”.
I will refer to them as Bank A or Target Bank A, etc.

****NOTE: These four Bank Target assemblies are the main feature of Cat. Everything in Cat is about the drop target banks. ***

2) I will be talking about Cat’s three spot switches that spot #1, #6, and #2 lights inside the Magic Square, or Toast, or Bonus. Some of you refer to the Bonus Section as “Toast”. The Blueprint calls it Bonus. I like Magic Square for another reason I will be talking about shortly. Call it one of these three terms and I think we can stay on point.

3) I will be talking about Extra Balls.

4) I will be talking about multi-balls and something that I will be referring to as “inside squares” shortly.

5) I will be talking about the back box function that some refer to as Bagatelle. The blueprint refers to the bagatelle as Back Box Play Field. I’ll continue to use Bagatelle or I guess I could use BBPF

6) Cat is really two games in one. There is the play field game with the ball bouncing all over the play field and there is the back box/Bagatelle game. I will be using these two terms. For instance, when I get to rolling here shortly, I will be talking about the play field game. When the ball drains, I will be talking about the bagatelle game.

7) If we were in the same room together, I could point to this or point to that and you would understand what I am talking about in mere seconds. But with the written word, it gets more complicated. I hope you will understand.

I am getting all of my information from the Cat games I have been playing, but more importantly, I am getting most of what I will be talking about by reading the instructions on the apron card and the instructions in the owner’s manual. Everybody is used to the apron instruction card but it does not tell the whole story. There is a small bit of information inside the owner’s manual that clears some things up.

I don’t have Cat completely understood, yet. But I’m working on it. I’m not doing anything here that anybody else could not do. And if what I write helps someone else see something that needs to be added in an effort to fully understand Cat, than I hope what I am writing will cause discussion. This pinball machine, Catacomb, is a fantastic pinball.

I’m almost ready to get started but let’s play a different kind of game, first.

How many of you play Black Jack? Black Jack, the game of 21. All of you? Great ! It makes my answer easier to come by.

My question to you Black Jack players is this: What is the objective when you are playing Black Jack at the casino where the money is real? If you answered, as many do, that the objective is to get 21, then you would be wrong. The objective.....drum roll..... of casino Black Jack is to beat the dealer. That is all. You do not need 21 points to beat the dealer. The objective of Black Jack is to…..what? Beat the Dealer. You can beat the dealer with an Ace and a Deuce in your hand. 21 is the number that you do not want to exceed on your next draw of a card.

So, with Catacomb, what is the objective of Cat game play? If you say the objective is to light all 16 lights inside the Magic Square, you would be partially correct; But it also sort of depends where the game is located. My position is that if I am feeding quarters into Cat on location, then my objective is to win a game with my quarter. I want to roll enough points to win a free play. And it is not necessary to light all 16 lights in the Magic Square to win a free play. Lighting all 16 lights will make it easier to get the points you need, but you can get your points in other ways.

However, in a home free play setting, I would say getting all 16 Magic Square lights is the primary objective.

I told you earlier there are two games in Cat. There is a play field game and there is a back box/bagatelle game.

Let’s get started with a play field game.

Bank A will be representative of all four target banks (see picture below). When you press the credit button to start a game you will see lights #1, #6, #14 and #9 at Bank A light up in a clockwise rotation. Banks B, C, and D will also light up in similar rotation. I will refer to these four lights as the rotating lights as we move along.

There are two skill-shot rollovers at the top of play field. The left most rollover, when lit, will spot the #6 light in the Magic Square. It will also stop the four lights from rotating and will freeze the rotation on the red light at each target bank. Similarly, the middle rollover will spot light #1 and freeze the rotating light on amber. The reason for the freeze is to give you a better chance to light some lights in the Magic Square. Keep reading.

NOTE : Below each of these rollovers, it is printed on the play field as to what they do. Just look up to the top of the play field if you forget which rollover lights which color.

There are two ways to light up the 16 lights inside the Magic Square. Think about this for a little bit.

One way is to attack the drop target banks. When you knock down the three drop targets, whichever light was lit when the third target went down will in turn light up the corresponding light in the Magic Square. So, as the four lights around Bank A are rotationally lighting up, if the Green #14 was lit, you will get a corresponding #14 light lit up inside the Magic Square. The other way to light those 16 lights is by playing the Back Box Bagatelle portion of the game.

As you shoot the ball around the table at Banks B, C and D, and you knock down the drop targets you will keep getting different lights to light up inside the Magic Square. After ball 1, I have had as many as 6 or 7 lights lit in the Magic Square; I have also had zero lights lit.

The cruel way to say this is that the better player you are and the more drop targets you hit, the more Magic Square lights you will earn on the play field game and you will spend less time trying to fight the Back Box Bagatelle for the lights you need.

The PERFECT PLAYER OF CAT will never drain the ball and will earn all of the Magic Square lights with flippers and nudging skills and will never have to fight the Back Box Bagatelle for lights.

So, when someone complains that they do not like the Back Box game, I will automatically assume that they are a poor player because the good player will not be visiting the Back Box game very much. Sorry, but that is the way it is. If you have access to a Cat on free play, take advantage and play that pin until your game improves.

Target Banks

All four Target Banks do the same thing, each bank with it own four numbers to work with. When you push the credit button all four numbers in all four Target Banks will start rotationally lighting up in clockwise direction. As long as you have a ball in play these numbers will be rotating unless you spotted the #1 or #6 light in the rollover lanes. I will be talking more about the rotating lights when I start talking about the back box portion of the game.

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 12.48.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-07-07 at 12.48.23 PM (resized).png

Let’s talk about Extra Balls and Target Banks

While the main function of the Target Banks is to add points and light up lights in the Magic Square, the second function of Banks A, B, C, and D is to earn extra balls. The way that happens is simple. Drop the three drop targets on Bank A, followed in order with Bank B, Bank C and Bank D. When you hit the last target on Bank D, the Extra Ball switches will light up in the two return lanes. The Extra Ball light alternates back and forth and if you can get the ball to roll over the switch, you will win an extra ball. Cat lets you accumulate Extra Balls. You can go around the A-B-C-D drops in order a second time and win a 2nd Extra Ball.

Cat lets you accumulate Extra Balls, so if you can keep the ball on the play field and knock all four Target Banks down in A-B-C-D order a second time, you will get a chance to win a second Extra Ball. Plus you will roll up a lot of points and probably get some lights to light up inside the Magic Square, as well.

Alrighty. You have been playing a killer ball, you also managed to lock two balls (speech tells you a prisoner has been captured) and you managed to get a multi-ball session going. Multi-ball sessions in Cat can be rather vicious: They almost always come on with a complete surprise, are usually over in a matter of seconds, are very fun and satisfying if you can keep the balls on the play field for any amount of time, and you are rarely in control; Cat is always in control.

Now that we are talking multi-ball I need to talk about what I call the Inside Squares; Inside Squares is my own term; you will not find it in the blueprint.

There are five squares in the Magic Square. The first square is the Magic Square that encompasses all 16 lights.

_____________________________________________.Bonus
_________________________________________ .Magic Square

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 12.52.38 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-07-07 at 12.52.38 PM (resized).png

Next are four Inside Squares: RED, ORANGE, BLUE, and GREEN. Keep reading down below.

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 12.38.26 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-07-07 at 12.38.26 PM (resized).png

Here is what the apron card says about Multi-Ball or Captive-Ball. The square being referred to is my Inside Square. For the following illustration, we will be talking about the “Red Inside Square”. Again, “Inside Square” is my own invented term.

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 10.44.19 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-07-07 at 10.44.19 AM (resized).png

Here are the Multi-Ball instructions from the owner’s manual. These instructions are just a bit more detailed. Remember this, because the apron card is written differently as I will talk about in a little bit.

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 10.43.38 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-07-07 at 10.43.38 AM (resized).png

Pay attention here. You are playing the same killer ball; You are still playing Ball 1. You have not drained.

Killer Ball #1 (KB-1) with three different situations

(KB-1) Situation #1

(KB-1) Situation #1: You have two balls locked. You have red light #1, #6, and #10 lit. Red light #11 is located in Bank B and is dark. Your Killer Ball #1 knocks down all three drop targets in Bank B and light #11 in the Magic Square lights up; you have just completed the Red Inside Square. And your Multi-Ball games starts.

(KB-1) Situation #2

(KB-1) Situation #2: You have no balls locked. None. Zero. Nada. Your Red Inside Square is set up exactly the same as Situation #1. Since you have no balls locked, your red inside square is wasted. I’ll explain: Assume you just completed the red inside square and the absolute next thing to happen is that you manage to lock a ball (you are still playing KB-1). Since the ball was locked AFTER the Inside Square was completed, you get no multi-ball action. Which leads me to (KB-1) Situation #3.

(KB-1) Situation #3

(KB-1) Situation #3: All is the same as Situation #2 above, however, you also have lights #15, #14, and #3 lit up in the Green Inside Square. And now you manage to light up green light #2 by knocking down the drop targets in Bank D and this completes the Green Inside Square. But you just locked a ball and this makes the Green Inside Square a live square and you have another multi-ball going.

I’ll try to write, in story form, the perfect ball--perfect multi-ball scenario. You will need to think about this and use your imagination.

You are playing (KB-1). You have two balls, Ball #1 and Ball #2, locked. You light the Red Inside Square and multi-ball starts. As you are playing a 3-ball multi-ball, you lock Ball #1 a second time and then you lock Ball #2 a second time and you continue playing. Then you manage to light four lights in the the Green Inside Square. This starts multi-ball session #2 two and you are still playing (KB-1)!

Try to visualize: a) You are playing (KB-1) and you have 3 of 4 red lights lit in the Red Inside Square. b) You lock Ball #1. b) You continue playing and lock ball #2. c) With two balls locked, you knock down a set of drop targets in one of the Target Banks and light the forth red light. d) This starts a multi-ball session. e) During multi-ball, you lock two balls again. f) And then you light up another inside square GREEN and start your second multi-ball session. And then you repeat this action for Inside Square ORANGE and Inside Square BLUE. Congratulations: You have just completed four multi-ball sessions with one killer ball (KB-1). And now you are set up to do this action a second time!

So, you, who are the perfect player, playing the perfect (KB-1) will experience four 3-ball multi-ball sessions with one killer ball. By default, since you lit up all four Inside Squares this means that you have also lit up all 16 lights in the Magic Square. And after you have completed the Magic Square, the 16 lights will go dark, the 136,000 point Bonus below the Magic Square lights up and you can do all of the above again. Think about it. You, the perfect player, could enjoy eight 3-ball multi-ball sessions with one killer ball !

Just remember, if you light up an Inside Square before you have any balls locked, that is a now a dead square and you will not get a multi-ball from that inside square.

As the instructions say., if you are playing the back box bagatelle, you can complete an inside square and multi-ball will start after you shoot the next ball. Also, per the instructions, lighting up the Inside Squares also lights up the bonus multiplier up to 5X.

___________________________________________Inside Square Bonus Points

_________________________________________From the owner’s manual instructions

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 12.20.43 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-07-07 at 12.20.43 PM (resized).png

___________________________________________From the apron card instructions

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 12.21.08 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-07-07 at 12.21.08 PM (resized).png

The bonus points instructions in the owner manual differ from what is on the apron card. I do not have the answer, yet, but I am thinking that the apron card is not written correctly.

The apron card says the bonus is derived from the “LIT NUMBER OF SQUARES…” I am reading that as four lit Inside Squares. Four lit Inside Squares times 1000 would only be bonus points of 4000. That does not sound right.

The owner's manual says “bonus points come from the (Magic ?) square, where each NUMBER is worth 1000 points. 16,000 points total from the manual sounds more correct than 4000 points from the apron card.

That is pretty much the end of Part 1 of this write up on how to play the play field game on Catacomb. I apologize for it coming out so long winded and I will try to condense and improve it if anybody is interested.

I have not yet written Part 2 about playing the back box part of the game. If nobody likes Part 1 there is little to gain by trying to write about the Back Box Bagatelle part of Catacomb. Writing about how to play the Back Box will be just as complicated and involved as writing about the play field game. And if Part 1 makes no sense to anyone, Part 2 would not be any better.

I apologize for leading you on a bit earlier about Part 2.

You all let me know if this write up was worth the effort and if you want me to work on Part 2.

Thank you.

#245 6 years ago

This text must be read with a Cat on free-play (and the glass off).

#246 6 years ago

Makes perfect sense to me, and I don't have the game yet. Nice work! Please write part 2.

#247 6 years ago

What is the strategy within multiball for points? Sounds like hitting the spinner is worth the most.
I can't imagine locking 2 balls again is what you want to do right away..

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

What is the strategy within multiball for points? Sounds like hitting the spinner is worth the most.
I can't imagine locking 2 balls again is what you want to do right away..

My "strategy" has pretty much just managing to keep the balls on the play field (Cat does have a pair of greedy outlanes which makes playing multi-ball a real challenge). If I can manage the feat for any amount of time more than 10 seconds or so, I notice that afterwards, with the 3 balls bouncing around, that several more lights in the Magic Square have been lit up. So I suppose I don't pay as much attention to the spinner as I should because getting those lights lit in the Magic Square are paramount. Ripping the spinner is satisfying but I only target the spinner lane as a means, and another way, of reaching the drop targets in Bank B and Bank C.

Locking the balls is not something you do deliberately Cat. This is not like Scared Stiff where the "lock is lit" and you target for the lock. Locking balls in Cat is a random event. When your Cat arrives and you get it set up to play you will understand fully. The capture/lock holes are well hidden and cannot be targeted. You only lock balls by chance as the ball is bouncing around the play field. And more often than not, while playing a multi-ball session, at least one of the balls will get locked again and if that happens---and you have three more lights lit up on another inside square--and you light that fourth inside square light---you are going to have another multi-ball launch. This is one of the reasons why I said Cat is always in control in multi-ball.

1 week later
#249 6 years ago

Just arrived! Haven't had time to set it up yet.

IMG_2541 (resized).JPGIMG_2541 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#250 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My "strategy" has pretty much just managing to keep the balls on the play field (Cat does have a pair of greedy outlanes which makes playing multi-ball a real challenge).

Agreed. I'll bet I drain through the outlanes about 90% of the time on Catacomb...if the ball careens towards the outlane, forget it, it's gone. Especially since I believe in pretty tight tilts. It's unbelievably brutal and unforgiving...but that's part of the game's charm, I guess.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 125.00
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
$ 3.00
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-club/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.