IMG_3456 (resized).jpeg
20230124_065850 (resized).jpg
Catacombsnip3 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip2 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip (resized).JPG
20230115_134232.jpg
20230115_132630.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 29.
#901 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Did you try jumping the common connections on the board? From one solder point to the next with a bare wire?

Lawman, I will answer this to-be-continued story a little later.

#902 4 years ago

Some of you are aware that I have been making the wire gates for the bagatelle section of the Catacomb pin. Several months ago I had a pinsider contact me about the mounting brackets for the gate.

Two days ago, I had another pinsider who is restoring a Catacomb contact me about those same mounting brackets (see pics).

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 6.26.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-01-23 at 6.26.22 PM (resized).png

I am not equipped for any serious sheet metal bending. This is something that Kerry at Mantis would have the right equipment to make these.

The problem is making only 1 or 2 sets would cost a fortune. The other problem is that they will not break or wear out. They are made of stainless steel. So if your Catacomb has these brackets then you are set.

What I am inquiring about is if there is anybody else out there who would like to have a set for a wild ass guess of just in case.

I would really like to be able to help these two people out because, the pin is not very playable if the gate assembly is not installed.

Is there anybody else needing or wanting a set of these?

#903 4 years ago

Im in for 2 sets

#904 4 years ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

Im in for 2 sets

As you can see, this request for people wanting the gate mounting brackets is rather thin. So, I need to ask how much you would pay pair of a pair?

They look like something you should be able to buy for $25-$30 dollars for a set. But my uneducated guess is that you would be paying at least $60.00 per set. Maybe higher.

Would you still be interested at $60.00 per set? What about $80.00 per set?

If no one would be interested at these nose bleed prices, there is not much point in me trying to pursue this any farther.

#905 4 years ago

PM sent.

#906 4 years ago

I would be interested in 1 set for sure !!

#907 4 years ago

I'll take a set.

#908 4 years ago

That is 4 sets. And one person has not spoken up yet.

So 5 sets so far.

I'll contact Kerry and if he is even interested.

#909 4 years ago

Someone new has PMed me with a request for 2 sets.

That makes 7.

If anybody this is interested would make a post on this thread it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#910 4 years ago

I am in for one set.

#911 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I am in for one set.

I have been waiting for you. #8.

I'll reach out to Kerry tomorrow and try to see if I can get some idea of pricing.

#912 4 years ago

Count me in too, Cotton.

#913 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

Count me in too, Cotton.

Number 9. Number 9. Number 9.

#914 4 years ago

Just put me down to help out the team

#915 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

. And one person has not spoken up yet.

do you mean Me? im still in for 2

#916 4 years ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

do you mean Me? im still in for 2

No. I linked my reply to Methos, who was the late arrival. You are still in for 2.

#917 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

No. I linked my reply to Methos, who was the late arrival. You are still in for 2.

Was on vacation, sorry for the late response.

#918 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Was on vacation, sorry for the late response.

Being on vacation is nothing to be sorry about. No apologies needed.

#919 4 years ago

I have emailed a request for pricing on 10 sets.

Now we wait.

#920 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have emailed a request for pricing on 10 sets.
Now we wait.

Kerry has responded to my request. I am not interested in sending him my set of mounts as samples. Right now, they have become too valuable to place in the mail. If they were to get lost then I would be in the same problem we are trying to solve.

I am going to dust off my drawing skills and work up some isometric drawings with measurements and hope he will be able to work with my drawings. If quality drawings will not work for him then I will have to ship.

What I can tell you is if he can do them they will be laser cut, which means nice smooth edges.

Please be patient. On my way to the print shop to get some quality drawing paper.

2 weeks later
#921 4 years ago

Anyone experiencing the background sounds changing volume on their Catacomb?

Working on someones Catacomb, the background volume changes during game play when any switch is hit. i.e. the background volume could be the same level as any switch sound effect. Hit any switch on the playfield and the scoring effect will play at normal volume but then when the background sound returns it could either be the same level as the scoring sound or half the volume level. Scoring sounds are always the same 'normal' volume level. Only the background sound level will sometimes play at half volume.

Have installed all factory boards and problem occurs.
Replace factory boards with new aftermarket boards one at a time and the problem persists - this includes Alltek solenoid driver board, Alltek MPU board, Weebly SB300 sound board, Alltek lamp driver board.
Have tried disconnecting the speech board, the lamp driver board, and the displays. Replaced the ribbon cable from the MPU to SB300, replaced the volume control. Problem persists.

Interestingly the problem with half volume is worse with the Alltek MPU board. Have tried a memory clear with no difference.
It is better with my factory MPU board using four EPROMs (background volume level is mostly at the higher 'normal' level).
Have tried a factory MPU board with RA22 and another factory MPU board with RA23 ROMs - doesn't resolve it.
Have tried some of the suggestions others have used with Meteor sound issues, i.e. using identical 5101 RAM chips (Philips) at U8 and U13 on the factory MPU board, replacing the four 2716 EPROMs with two 2732 EPROMs. No difference.

The background volume difference happens on the first two or three switch hits, at worst will take a dozen switch hits.

Anyone seen (heard) this?

#922 4 years ago

Only one last long shot item i could suggest is maybe something is wrong with the speaker. ???

Sorry i don't have something better.

#923 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Only one last long shot item i could suggest is maybe something is wrong with the speaker. ???

Cheers, I think the owner also tried the speaker and volume control from another Stern with no luck.

It's only the background sounds that sometimes go to half volume. Weird..

#924 4 years ago

Should it be the sound board itself?

#925 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

most likely if everything around it has been swapped out with no change. could also be bad pins in the harness, if they havent been repinned yet

#926 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Happens with the original factory SB300 sound board and two aftermarket Weebly SB300 sound boards.

#927 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Happens with the original factory SB300 sound board and two aftermarket Weebly SB300 sound boards.

has the VSU been swapped out?

#928 4 years ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

has the VSU been swapped out?

VSU-100 has been disconnected. No difference.

#929 4 years ago

volume pot bad?

#930 4 years ago

Mine does the same as yours. This is the second Catacomb I’ve had and the first also did this. Could it be normal?

#931 4 years ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

volume pot bad?

Tried a brand new 25k logarithmic pot and I think the owner also tried one from another Stern. No luck.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Only significant things not changed are transformer/rectifier board and wiring harness.

Quoted from Xtraball:

Mine does the same as yours. This is the second Catacomb I’ve had and the first also did this. Could it be normal?

Thanks, that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

It's just like what happens in this video. We first noticed it with the game just sitting idle in game mode that the background sounds would intermittently drop volume - the owner noticed he could trigger it by hitting switches and scoring:

#932 4 years ago

Exactly like both of mine

#933 4 years ago

Did you install a new ribbon cable between the mpu and sound board?

#934 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Maybe it is part of the sound package like the wave in Seawitch and the sound in Quicksilver.

#935 4 years ago

what are the voltages on the soundboard? do they hold steady when watched for a minute? have the MPU and driver board small harnesses been repinned? has the rectifier board be repinned and checked for cold solders?

#936 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Did you install a new ribbon cable between the mpu and sound board?

It does have a new ribbon cable, but we did try an old one from another Stern.

Quoted from bluespin:

Maybe it is part of the sound package like the wave in Seawitch and the sound in Quicksilver.

That's the question. cottonm4 has a Catacomb and in his reply he didn't hint at having seen this.

Quoted from Jr99svt:

what are the voltages on the soundboard? do they hold steady when watched for a minute?

To be honest I only briefly checked the voltages but did so with my oscilloscope and didn't see any changes. Owner also said he measured them with no change.

Quoted from Jr99svt:

have the MPU and driver board small harnesses been repinned? has the rectifier board be repinned and checked for cold solders?

I suspect those connectors in the head have not been repinned. I haven't looked at the rectifier board.

It smells of some sort of software timing issue not helped with the bad design of that J5 ribbon cable sitting on the CPU bus with no signal termination on the SB300 side. I wish I understood Sterns PIGS programming so I could experiment with the sound engine.

#937 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Tried a brand new 25k logarithmic pot and I think the owner also tried one from another Stern. No luck.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Only significant things not changed are transformer/rectifier board and wiring harness.

Thanks, that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.
It's just like what happens in this video. We first noticed it with the game just sitting idle in game mode that the background sounds would intermittently drop volume - the owner noticed he could trigger it by hitting switches and scoring:

When i get home i will listen to your video on my computer equipped with good speakers. I am currently listening on my cell phone and it sounds just like my Catacomb.

It will be very late this afternoon or tomorrow before will be back at my computer.

#938 4 years ago

My Catacomb has been in storage for almost a year, but i dont remember any sound volume fluctuation in the sound(i could be wrong), and i think I would have noticed when switches were closed, a volume change. if its not the boards, not the program(no change with eproms) not the voltage, it almost has to be a connection/wire issue.

#939 4 years ago

My catacomb would double sounds and speech and I had all boards professionally repaired, all new connectors, new pot and new speech chip, never could solve the issue.

#940 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Sterns PIGS programming

????????? what does PIGS mean??????????

#941 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

When i get home i will listen to your video on my computer equipped with good speakers. I am currently listening on my cell phone and it sounds just like my Catacomb.
It will be very late this afternoon or tomorrow before will be back at my computer.

I have listened on the better set of speakers. I am not hearing anything different from mine. I don't know. May be I have been thinking it is a feature.

I know I wish I could make that "growling" sound go away. I have got used to it but would prefer it was not there.

#942 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

????????? what does PIGS mean??????????

It's Sterns software interpreter language: "Pinball Interpreted Game System".

When my Catacomb comes out of storage next year it's something I'll look into because I want/hope to make the background sounds sound more like it does in PinMAME which is random vintage computer tones rather than random clicking noises. i.e. stopping the tones from being filtered.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I have listened on the better set of speakers. I am not hearing anything different from mine. I don't know. May be I have been thinking it is a feature.

The background volume changes are very obvious in person - if you haven't noticed it on your game I guess it's not doing it.

Quoted from Jr99svt:

it almost has to be a connection/wire issue.

That was the initial thought, but when all game and scoring sounds are normal volume level and only the background sounds sometimes drop in volume and can be manually triggered, typical connections issues seem unlikely.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I know I wish I could make that "growling" sound go away.

Which effect is the growling sound?

Thanks all!

#943 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I don't know what you would call it. It is that low pitch sound that I think is supposed to represent the chained monster.

#944 4 years ago

The sound on mine does the same thing!

#945 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Kerry has responded to my request. I am not interested in sending him my set of mounts as samples. Right now, they have become too valuable to place in the mail. If they were to get lost then I would be in the same problem we are trying to solve.
I am going to dust off my drawing skills and work up some isometric drawings with measurements and hope he will be able to work with my drawings. If quality drawings will not work for him then I will have to ship.
What I can tell you is if he can do them they will be laser cut, which means nice smooth edges.
Please be patient. On my way to the print shop to get some quality drawing paper.

let me know what happens, but I'd be in for 2 sets for sure.
I could paypal you some funds to send em ups special parcel or something, but yeah I'd understand not wanting to loose em.
thanks for looking into it at any rate.

#946 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Thanks all!

Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't know what you would call it. It is that low pitch sound that I think is supposed to represent the chained monster.

i dont mind the back round sounds, i kinda like them. but id pay good $ for a modern speech module to replace the synth voice

#947 4 years ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

i dont mind the back round sounds, i kinda like them. but id pay good $ for a modern speech module to replace the synth voice

I have learned to live with that sound. And agree majorly for modern speech.

#948 4 years ago

When I got my Catacomb, I couldn't stop repeating the monotone "Prisoner one escaping from Catacomb" voice. The historical significance that these early Sterns used the first speech processor chip manufactured isn't lost on me. I might be oldskool but I couldn't imagine having modern speech on these old games.

#949 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

"Prisoner one escaping from Catacomb" .

that will be in my head all day

#950 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I might be oldskool but I couldn't imagine having modern speech on these old games.

You have a point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-club/page/19?hl=vec-tor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.