IMG_3456 (resized).jpeg
20230124_065850 (resized).jpg
Catacombsnip3 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip2 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip (resized).JPG
20230115_134232.jpg
20230115_132630.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 29.
#852 4 years ago

Yes, go the CPR route and buy a brand new set. I’ll help defray the cost by buying your old right slingshot plastic if it’s in decent, unchipped condition!

#854 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I really need to buy some new plastics. Can someone help me with this one? Game is unplayable with this broken piece.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That broken plastic can be fixed. You will probably see the repair.

I have an idea on what can be done. Send me a PM.

#855 4 years ago

Thanks guys! We were hosting an IFPA tourney yesterday at our house; what a bummer for this issue to pop up. We are hosting another tourney today at my office. I’m going to look into this tonight.

cottonm4 , you are incredibly helpful as always when it comes to this title and other classic Sterns. Thank you for your friendship.

#856 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

cottonm4 , you are incredibly helpful as always when it comes to this title and other classic Sterns. Thank you for your friendship.

I second this cottonm4 is a huge asset to the community.

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Thanks guys! We were hosting an IFPA tourney yesterday at our house; what a bummer for this issue to pop up. We are hosting another tourney today at my office. I’m going to look into this tonight.

Look, that broken plastic does not see all that much action. Go to Home Depot or Lowes. Get some Gorilla brand clear tape. it is heavy duty stuff and not the cheapest. Tape some of this tough stuff on both sides of the plastic and you should be able to play OK. If you want something a little tougher still, tape a pop sickle stick or tongue depressor and place over the top of your already "repaired" plastic to make it even stronger.

A box of tongue depressors at Dollar General for a dollar. You will have a hard time finding these anywhere else.

gorilla-specialty-anti-slip-tape-60270-64_1000 (resized).jpggorilla-specialty-anti-slip-tape-60270-64_1000 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#859 4 years ago

Thanks for posting. I just had to buy one.

#861 4 years ago

For the record, I have observed that the number 5 that is part of drop target “D” is not the correct color. It is pink when it should dark blue to match the number 5 that sits in the bonus/toast area.

Please tell me that the other Catacomb play fields have the 5 as the correct blue color.

Edit: I also notice the number 8 at the “B” drop target is pink, as well.

#862 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

For the record, I have observed that the number 5 that is part of drop target “D” is not the correct color. It is pink when it should dark blue to match the number 5 that sits in the bonus/toast area.
Please tell me that the other Catacomb play fields have the 5 as the correct blue color.

Oh dear that looks like a bad error.

Guessing they have sometime taken color from the 5X and accidentally put it on those 2 inserts as they should be blue.

#863 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Oh dear that looks like a bad error.
Guessing they have sometime taken color from the 5X and accidentally put it on those 2 inserts as they should be blue.

Yes. I hope the entire inventory does not contain this error.

#864 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yes. I hope the entire inventory does not contain this error.

Anyone contacted CPR?

#865 4 years ago

I just sent an email, but it looks like there is only a couple left. torn on it.

#866 4 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

I just sent an email, but it looks like there is only a couple left. torn on it.

looks like only 1 left?

#867 4 years ago

ya, can't do it if those inserts are like that. it would drive me nuts.

#868 4 years ago

Guys thanks for your input, of course the sample we had here was like the one you see in the pictures so that's the way we made em. That's all we can ever do. This was a very small run and is sold out but we'll immediately start cutting another small run and will make the changes as you guys have noted.

I'd just like to confirm that the purple/violet opaque 5X in the center bonus ladder is correct? Might as well correct them all at once.

Thanks
Mike

#869 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

Guys thanks for your input, of course the sample we had here was like the one you see in the pictures so that's the way we made em. That's all we can ever do. This was a very small run and is sold out but we'll immediately start cutting another small run and will make the changes as you guys have noted.
I'd just like to confirm that the purple/violet opaque 5X in the center bonus ladder is correct? Might as well correct them all at once.
Thanks
Mike

If you are remaking them, then I would like to cancel on the one with incorrect inserts.

#870 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

Thanks
Mike

Yes the 5X is purple and it's the only purple insert used

#871 4 years ago

We'll hold shipping for 48 hrs and people can decide how to proceed. Email the website at the Contact Us page to make changes to your order. Even though we'll start cutting this week, it will take more than a few weeks to get them remade.

Here's a list of PFs which are in the printing and clear process; Voltan, Viking, Taxi, Space Invaders, Paragon, Bobby Orr, Meteor, and Star Trek.

Cutting; we have another run of Mystic and High Speed almost done, just finished gluing. Also have Space Shuttle, Silverballmania, Capt Fantastic, Skateball, Eight Ball , Mata Hari, and Bad Cats cutting/gluing right now. CAD adjustments on Flash Gordon and Whirlwind in progress and these will be cutting within a week or so.

So you won't see new Catacombs until they work through the system, but they will start cutting this week.

Mike

#872 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If you are remaking them, then I would like to cancel on the one with incorrect inserts.

Same here.

#873 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

We'll hold shipping for 48 hrs and people can decide how to proceed. Email the website at the Contact Us page to make changes to your order. Even though we'll start cutting this week, it will take more than a few weeks to get them remade.
Here's a list of PFs which are in the printing and clear process; Voltan, Viking, Taxi, Space Invaders, Paragon, Bobby Orr, Meteor, and Star Trek.
Cutting; we have another run of Mystic and High Speed almost done, just finished gluing. Also have Space Shuttle, Silverballmania, Capt Fantastic, Skateball, Eight Ball , Mata Hari, and Bad Cats cutting/gluing right now. CAD adjustments on Flash Gordon and Whirlwind in progress and these will be cutting within a week or so.
So you won't see new Catacombs until they work through the system, but they will start cutting this week.
Mike

That is fine with me.

Just keep my payment and ship me the new/ correct insert one when they come out. I am in no rush as I have like 5 swaps in front of catacomb

#874 4 years ago

look like the 8 and the B bank is also wrong!

#875 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Quoted from Redketchup:

look like the 8 and the B bank is also wrong!

#876 4 years ago

I would also like to wait for the corrected one.

#877 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That is fine with me.
Just keep my payment and ship me the new/ correct insert one when they come out. I am in no rush as I have like 5 swaps in front of catacomb

Same here. Keep my payment alive. I am in no rush, either.

I did send a request to the CPR website as Mike instructed but just covering my bases here.

#878 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That is fine with me.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Same here. Keep my payment alive. I am in no rush, either.

I am also in the same boat here.

#879 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

Mike

How can I pay for a High Speed now? Can I order it on the website?

#880 4 years ago

Great that these are being done.

Shame about the errors but hopefully next batch will be spot on.

#881 4 years ago

Will a few more playfields be made as well? I would Like one of the corrected ones. I had signed up on the standby list, but never received an email.

#882 4 years ago

Well the good news is their might be some Bronze levels PFs ready for the cash strapped Catacomb owners

Quoted from harbngr:

I had signed up on the standby list, but never received an email.

I also never got an email, just saw the post here last night.

Quoted from CPR:

This was a very small run and is sold out but we'll immediately start cutting another small run and will make the changes as you guys have noted.

#883 4 years ago

I was never aware of them until all these posts !

#884 4 years ago

I also would like you to hold my money until the corrected playfieds are produced. (I also emailed the site just to be sure.) Thanks!

#885 4 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

the sample we had here was like the one you see in the pictures so that's the way we made em.

That is so strange that the sample someone sent to you had this error with two inserts. How? Was this play field a prototype or reject from Stern in the 80s? Or possibly, someone, at one time or another, replaced the correct inserts with two pink inserts that were silk screened correctly?

It is an interesting puzzle with no answer.

#886 4 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Will a few more playfields be made as well? I would Like one of the corrected ones. I had signed up on the standby list, but never received an email.

Somebody posted about a wishlist at CPR for a Catacomb play field. I signed up as interested but did not get an email either. And it was only when CPR made the post here that I was able to buy.

#887 4 years ago

We've actually seen this MANY times before. The manufacturers of the PFs and there were several, each seemed to have their own small variations of the PF. We were never able to confirm one way of the other if these small changes were OK'd by Bally/Williams/stern etc. But variations of insert colors are everywhere. The first time we made High Speeds Kevin made a blanket post and asked for a sample I could CAD. We wound up with 4 before he could pull back the offer...... cost us dearly BUT no two of the four were the same. Different artwork, different cutting files and different insert colors!

Luckily all our runs now are very small so its much easier to make corrections. On plastics we've been able to make corrections and get the new ones out within a few hours! Longer for PFs of course just due to the much longer production process.

I am 45 minutes from the screen shop where all the packing and orders take place so telling me anything is not going to really help you as I'd just have to email the shop for you, only without all your contact info. I seldom come to Pinside, I only came here today because one of you emailed me directly to let me know of the issue. I'm heading overseas in a few hours so I'll be out of the game for the rest of the week at least. Make sure you contact the website and specify your exact wishes. Keep in mind its hard for us to keep your payments until a later date, PayPal gets all bent about it and with the amount of stuff we ship, orders more than a week or so old can easily get buried many pages into the orders. PayPal does not provide an easy way to relocate orders that weren't shipped yet once they scroll off the screen. So the only way to ensure you get your PFG later is someone over at the shop has to put a post it somewhere..... and they never disappear.

Mike

#888 4 years ago

I borrowed this pic from CPR. That Catacomb play fields really pops in this pic, IMO.

I suppose if anybody was on the fence about buying a Catacomb, this would be the time to step up.

December2019banner (resized).jpgDecember2019banner (resized).jpg

#889 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That is so strange that the sample someone sent to you had this error with two inserts. How?

Quoted from CPR:

We've actually seen this MANY times before.

Haha now the plot thickens!

As you know long time fan but just picked mine up months ago, broke it down right away.
Almost back together now and....WTF...purple insert #5 insert?

And what color are your other 'blue' inserts? Do they match the deep blue of the middle matrix? Cause mine don't.

20191220_015921 (resized).jpg20191220_015921 (resized).jpg20191220_020022 (resized).jpg20191220_020022 (resized).jpg
#890 4 years ago

In this case, your purple insert are blue insert fade with time... i had a seawitch playfeild with all the kind of shade of purple where they are supposed to be blue..

#891 4 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

In this case, your purple insert are blue insert fade with time... i had a seawitch playfeild with all the kind of shade of purple where they are supposed to be blue..

My Seawitch inserts faded like that. I placed blue LEDs under those inserts and that helps a lot.

#892 4 years ago

Ah got it, thanks guys.

#893 4 years ago

I missed getting one, and need it.

Anyone plan on canceling their order or don't need it after all?

Please hit me up.

thanks.

#894 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I missed getting one, and need it.
Anyone plan on canceling their order or don't need it after all?
Please hit me up.
thanks.

Why don't you contact CPR and see if they can get you listed in the replacement production run? Hell, they are in business to sell play fields. Selling more is always merrier.

Go for it. The worst CPR can do is say "no". But time is of the essence.

https://classicplayfields.com/contact-us/

#895 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I suppose if anybody was on the fence about buying a Catacomb, this would be the time to step up.

I’m super glad to see these being run. Very exciting for Catacomb owners!

2 weeks later
#896 4 years ago

OK boys and girls, I have a problem with the LED lights I added to Catacomb.

I'm talking about these LED boards you get from Pinball Replacement Parts.

https://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/stern-catacombs-set-of-lamp-boards-to-replace-old-metal-strips-and-panels

IMG_2742 (resized).jpgIMG_2742 (resized).jpg

I have installed these LED kits on Big Game. There were no problems. I made the swap, turned on the pin and enjoyed all of the nice bright LEDs.

Same for Nine Ball. I have other problems with Nine Ball but making this LED conversion was never a problem.

Catacomb is another story. I don't know what's up.

I installed the LED boards on Catacomb several months ago and have not been able to play it since.

Here is what is happening: All of my feature lights were working before I made the swap. After the swap I am having all sorts of strange behavior.

During attract mode the feature lights are supposed to be in constant blinking motion.

On drop target "A", the numbers "1", "6", "14", and "9 are supposed to light up in rotation. 1,6,and 14 work. # 9 is dead. The bulb is good. So, I have 3 lights working correctly in rotation during attract mode. The letter "A" lights up correctly.

IMG_2737 (resized).jpgIMG_2737 (resized).jpg

Drop target "B" is working as it should. All 4 lights light up in rotation. The letter "B' lights up correctly.

IMG_2740 (resized).jpgIMG_2740 (resized).jpg

Drop target "C" has problems. All four lights light up but they stay on solid. They do not light up in rotation as they are supposed to.

IMG_2735 (resized).jpgIMG_2735 (resized).jpg

Drop target "D" is the opposite of drop "C".

The letter "D" lights up but none of the four lights turn on at all.

IMG_2734 (resized).jpgIMG_2734 (resized).jpg

The Toast/Bonus section is a mixed bag.

Four lights do not light up at all.
Two lights light up but stay on solid. They do do not blink.
The remaining ten lights are working normally.

IMG_2738 (resized).jpgIMG_2738 (resized).jpg

I was powering my lights with the Stern LDA with the Seigecraft LED adaptors but for trouble shooting, I replaced the Stern board with an Alltek LDA. There was no change with the lights.

The game itself plays OK; As well it can be played with no proper lighting signals.

If anybody has any idea why two previous LED conversions went A-OK and the third conversion has gone bonkers with only half of the lights working properly, I would really appreciate any ideas on where to look.

Thanks

#897 4 years ago

if there were no issues before the 555 board swaps, you may have cross wired 2 wires on a board or 2.

#898 4 years ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

if there were no issues before the 555 board swaps, you may have cross wired 2 wires on a board or 2.

I appreciate your thoughts. I just wish it was that easy to find the problem. All it amounts to is there are 32 trigger wires, (one for each lamp) and one common wire for all. The worst that could happen is that I get a couple of wires crossed and a 7 lights up when a 10 should be lighting up and a 10 lights when it should be the 7 lighting up.

I did a test and replaced some of the LEDs with some 555 incandescents. That made no change. Lights that are not coming on, lights that are not blinking, or the lights that are staying on all of the time did not change their behavior when I installed the incandescents.

This pin has a speech board that is connected to the lamp driver board. I'm thinking I will disconnect the speech board and see if that helps.

#899 4 years ago

if it were mine, Id Disconnect the common wire 1 at a time from the new boards, and see what happens.

#900 4 years ago

Did you try jumping the common connections on the board? From one solder point to the next with a bare wire?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 125.00
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodstock, GA
$ 69.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-club/page/18?hl=getadam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.