IMG_3456 (resized).jpeg
20230124_065850 (resized).jpg
Catacombsnip3 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip2 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip (resized).JPG
20230115_134232.jpg
20230115_132630.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 29.
#751 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Too good a game to sell
And now 3 million is the new target. Could be a long time comin!

Yeah, feel the same about my Big Game. Popped a great game, 2,340,000+, and though I've slowed down on it a bit, I still anticipate having the game of my life and hitting 3m!
Happy high scores!

but if you ever...

#752 5 years ago

Thanks for tips.

Hot soldering iron did the trick.

Nice to have no broken plastics now

#753 5 years ago

Does anyone have the sizes of the red posts? There is a shorter one (looks like 1 inch) and a taller one?

#754 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Does anyone have the sizes of the red posts? There is a shorter one (looks like 1 inch) and a taller one?

Tall 1-3/16"

#755 5 years ago

Thanks! Short?

1 month later
#756 4 years ago

Several months ago, I asked if any Catacomb owners would be interested in a having #555 lamp board made for Catacomb. The gentleman who made the 555 lamp boards for Big Game, Cheetah, Nine Ball, and Meteor has asked me if I am still interested in doing this for my Catacomb. I hope this means that he is ready to take on this project.

I have had more than a few headaches those 16 Bonus lights in the center and they work so well on my Big Game and Nine Ball that I am most definitely still interested.

This is one he made for Cheetah.

IMG_20180917_155253380_300x300 (resized).jpgIMG_20180917_155253380_300x300 (resized).jpg

Speak up. Raise your hands if a lamp board for your Catacomb would be of interest to you.

#757 4 years ago

I am in!

#758 4 years ago

You are #2 then. but I don't know how he will be taking orders. I'll email him and tell him whysnow is a buyer.

He is telling me he only ordered 5 sets for this trip. He has not said if there will be a 2nd trip.

This leaves three sets left.

There is a total of 6 boards. The one for the 16 lights in the center. One each for each drop target. And one more that Im not sure of but I think it will be for the 3 lights at the spinner.

#759 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Several months ago, I asked if any Catacomb owners would be interested in a having #555 lamp board made for Catacomb. The gentleman who made the 555 lamp boards for Big Game, Cheetah, Nine Ball, and Meteor has asked me if I am still interested in doing this for my Catacomb. I hope this means that he is ready to take on this project.
I have had more than a few headaches those 16 Bonus lights in the center and they work so well on my Big Game and Nine Ball that I am most definitely still interested.
This is one he made for Cheetah.
[quoted image]
Speak up. Raise your hands if a lamp board for your Catacomb would be of interest to you.

I'll take one.

#760 4 years ago

I sent him an email.

By a pinside count, 2 sets are left.

#762 4 years ago

Redketchup, you are #4

One set left.

I am advising him that these sets are spoken for but I have not head back from him yet.

#763 4 years ago

I'll take the last one. Any idea what the ballpark price might be?

#764 4 years ago

# 5 is spoken for.

Price: The best I can tell you is somewhere around $55.00-$60.00 USD.

#765 4 years ago

Ok, thanks. Just wanted to get some idea. Seems a little high for a board with nothing on it but it's super small quantity so I get it.

#766 4 years ago

I have sent all 4 of you PMs on how to contact the seller with your requests to buy.

Also, he said he will get more boards the next time he makes an order, so nobody is going to be shut out who wants a set.

1 month later
#767 4 years ago

Just got the word that our Catacomb should be back to us soon fully restored courtesy of Mr. Holbrook.

4 weeks later
#768 4 years ago

Hoping to add this game eventually and a few other older sterns and b/w as well.Imma huge fan so hopefully its ok i hang around,any leads on a machine obviously would be super appreciated

1 week later
#769 4 years ago

Does anyone know if these ROM's have been updated?

Pretty sure from day 1, my Catacomb is not scoring correctly and friend said to check ROM's.

If I knock drop targets down the first 2 score 1000 and the third scores 23000.

Similar with Bagatelle - scoring 20000 + instead of 1000?

Thanks

IMG_5763 (resized).jpgIMG_5763 (resized).jpgIMG_5765 (resized).jpgIMG_5765 (resized).jpgIMG_5766 (resized).jpgIMG_5766 (resized).jpg
#770 4 years ago

Holy crap, so your typical totals for a 3 ball game average around 3,000,000+/-?

#771 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Holy crap, so your typical totals for a 3 ball game average around 3,000,000+/-?

No way!

High score is nearly 3 million but thinking that now has a big fat * next to it

What is the normal drop target scoring behavior?

#772 4 years ago

1,000 per drop target down, period. Bagatelle has 3 rollover wires in each column, each wire worth 1000. So the bagatelle scores 3000 per ball drop. Check IPDB

#773 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

1,000 per drop target down, period. Bagatelle has 3 rollover wires in each column, each wire worth 1000. So the bagatelle scores 3000 per ball drop. Check IPDB

I looked on IPBD and looked through manual but didn't see any reference to the scoring.

That's really interesting regarding bagatelle.

At Pinburgh the Papa Catacomb seemed to score 1000 per ball in the bagatelle. And videos on youtube seen scores of 1000, 2000 and 3000 on the bagatelle.

So, I guess you need to check every wire in the bagatelle?

Anyway, mine is certainly scoring wrong - will investigate further and test each wire in the bagatelle.

Thanks

#774 4 years ago

Ok, after some testing and following the advice above I now know what is happening. However I have no clue how to solve or what could be wrong? Any ideas?

The drop target banks.

Should score 1000, 1000, 1000.

All mine score 1000, 1000, 21000. An extra 20000 added on the third drop?

Bagatelle.

Each letter has 3 rollovers.

Letter A scores, 1000, 1000, 21000.

Letter B scores 1000, 1000, 21000.

Letter C scores 1000, 1000, 21000.

Letter D scores 1000, 21000, 1000.

Seems even more confusing that Letter D doesn't follow the pattern of the other 3 letters?

Lastly, is this correct? After ball drains, go to left flipper to select a letter/color........ a 1000 points is scored before hitting the right flipper to flip the ball on the bagatelle.

Anyway, any tips appreciated.

#775 4 years ago

FYI, I make the bagatelle wire ball gate. I have an original that is used for the measurements. If interested, send a pm.

Ken

20181228_110114 (resized).jpg20181228_110114 (resized).jpg
#776 4 years ago

Shapeshifter, it sounds like you’ve got a switch that’s gapped to close somewhere. Not sure why it would score 20,000 though. Does it happen regardless of which drops are hit in each bank? Take drop bank A for instance, does it do it even if the middle drop goes down first, and then the left then right? Middle, right, left? Left, right, middle...

When the ball drains and you use the left flipper to move the lit #’s, it shouldn’t score points. Another reason to believe it’s a switch gap problem. Try starting a game and bang on the playfield, see if you get phantom scoring.

#777 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Shapeshifter, it sounds like you’ve got a switch that’s gapped to close somewhere. Not sure why it would score 20,000 though. Does it happen regardless of which drops are hit in each bank? Take drop bank A for instance, does it do it even if the middle drop goes down first, and then the left then right? Middle, right, left? Left, right, middle...
When the ball drains and you use the left flipper to move the lit #’s, it shouldn’t score points. Another reason to believe it’s a switch gap problem. Try starting a game and bang on the playfield, see if you get phantom scoring.

Just did more testing. This time it's stopped awarding 1000 points when using left flipper to move lit numbers.

As for drops - doesn't matter which drop target. Last one down and it's 21000. All 4 banks.

Wondering if there were any early roms that scored with this extra 20000 or if it's just an odd fault?

Thanks

#778 4 years ago

Just did more testing. This time it's stopped awarding 1000 points when using left flipper to move lit numbers.
As for drops - doesn't matter which drop target. Last one down and it's 21000. All 4 banks.
Wondering if there were any early roms that scored with this extra 20000 or if it's just an odd fault?
Thanks

I thought the scoring was tied to the multipliers selected on the middle playfield. Been a long time simce I played this game.

#779 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I thought the scoring was tied to the multipliers selected on the middle playfield. Been a long time simce I played this game.

Yes, there are bonus multipliers but this happens before multipliers are lit and don't think they affect the drop target scoring anyway.

#780 4 years ago

Here’s what’s in my game:

0BCBC22C-B6AD-4109-A4AA-38EE9DE904BC (resized).jpeg0BCBC22C-B6AD-4109-A4AA-38EE9DE904BC (resized).jpeg
#781 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

FYI, I make the bagatelle wire ball gate. I have an original that is used for the measurements. If interested, send a pm.
Ken[quoted image]

Nice job.

I made some of these a year ago.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm glad to hear they are working for you.
The first two I made were for the scrap bin. Third one I broke was the one for my game. With mine being broke I was super motivated to make them correctly Then I found the groove and made a couple of good ones. Then I scrapped a couple more and figured out my mistakes.
As the song says, "When you're hot you're hot..." I took advantage of the groove I had going and made 12 good ones. The tricks I learned that night about bending wire is going to prove useful in the future.
I can't imagine anyone ever needing this part in the first place, so in case someone else is hurting, I have 7 more I can ship if anybody else has a broken wire gate.
Every one of these has been play tested in my own Catacomb. They all work 100%.
[quoted image]

I think I sold about 30 of them. I had no idea that they were such a demand item. My next challenge is to make the two gate support pieces for another Catacomb owner who has no way to mount the gate.

#782 4 years ago

Back to the bagatelle!

Is it always supposed to score 3000 per ball i.e 1000 per rollover?

Reason for asking is that this virtual version does not do this! Sometimes it scores 1000 instead of 3000? Is this faulty as well?!

#783 4 years ago

Well I just got my arse whipped on my Catacomb. Played 4 games and my best score was in the 400 thousands. That’s because I got 3X lit via the bagatelle after my last ball drained. All games, the bagatelle scored 3000 per ball thru the ABCD lanes. Even if the #, or Shapeshifter in your case the letter/color was already lit in the bonus, it still scored 3000.

#784 4 years ago

I don’t think you can trust this virtual version because at 2:15 in the video it shows the ball draining and then a ball just appears on the playfield again. Although there are 2 balls locked, there is no 2X or better lit so they shouldn’t have released.

#785 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Well I just got my arse whipped on my Catacomb. Played 4 games and my best score was in the 400 thousands. That’s because I got 3X lit via the bagatelle after my last ball drained. All games, the bagatelle scored 3000 per ball thru the ABCD lanes. Even if the #, or Shapeshifter in your case the letter/color was already lit in the bonus, it still scored 3000.

Great.

Makes sense it's 3000.

Just got to figure out where my extra 20000 is coming from now

#786 4 years ago

Great.
Makes sense it's 3000.
Just got to figure out where my extra 20000 is coming from now

Have you checked all your dip switches. Some arnt supposed to be on I think and it can cause strange issues.

#787 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Have you checked all your dip switches. Some arnt supposed to be on I think and it can cause strange issues.

Well, 4 were on that should have been off as not used.

Unfortunately no change.

Next step with a friend is to put in Alltek board and see if fault stays. If it does, then maybe someone has miss wired something.

#788 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I made some of these a year ago

And mine still works great that you made! Thank you!

#789 4 years ago

Shapeshifter, what happens if you just knock one drop down on any bank, then one on another bank, then one on a third bank? Do you still get 20,000?

#790 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Shapeshifter, what happens if you just knock one drop down on any bank, then one on another bank, then one on a third bank? Do you still get 20,000?

No, just 1000.

It's 21000 with last drop target down on any of the 4 banks.

#791 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Ken[quoted image]

what is this bagatelle wire supposed to look like installed?
I got something there, but It looks pretty ghetto.

#792 4 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

what is this bagatelle wire supposed to look like installed?
I got something there, but It looks pretty ghetto.

Can you take a picture of what you have, please?

What you have is the wire as shown in the pic several posts up.

There are two pieces of thin stainless steel angles in the back box the wire fits in and rotates.

#793 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Can you take a picture of what you have, please?
What you have is the wire as shown in the pic several posts up.
There are two pieces of thin stainless steel angles in the back box the wire fits in and rotates.

yup, think I need to find the gate part as well. I'll check the part numbers hopefully it's something generic.
I'm in the middle of a shadow rebuild right now, but that different gate picture got me wondering about mine.

nonadme (resized).jpgnonadme (resized).jpgnoname (resized).jpgnoname (resized).jpg

#794 4 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

yup, think I need to find the gate part as well. I'll check the part numbers hopefully it's something generic.
I'm in the middle of a shadow rebuild right now, but that different gate picture got me wondering about mine.
[quoted image][quoted image]

You do not have the correct parts. Someone took a generic ball gate and planted it there. If that wire was bent in a little bit different from what it is you could use it OK. The whole purpose off the gate is to keep the bagatelle ball from going back down the shooter lane. Your wire looks too low to the back box surface to prevent the ball from traveling backwards. Look closely where your bracket is located. You will see two holes. There also two other holes below your red post. Those four holes are the correct mounting holes for the brackets your are missing.

You will not find any generic brackets to do what you need.

The proper bracket is two pieces of 90 degree angle metal that accepts the type of bent wire showed several posts back.

I have been thinking on this for awhile and I think I can make the proper brackets but I am trying to find the right metal that will work for this job.

#795 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You do not have the correct parts. Someone took a generic ball gate and planted it there. If that wire was bent in a little bit different from what it is you could use it OK. The whole purpose off the gate is to keep the bagatelle ball from going back down the shooter lane. Your wire looks too low to the back box surface to prevent the ball from traveling backwards. Look closely where your bracket is located. You will see two holes. There also two other holes below your red post. Those four holes are the correct mounting holes for the brackets your are missing.
You will not find any generic brackets to do what you need.
The proper bracket is two pieces of 90 degree angle metal that accepts the type of bent wire showed several posts back.
I have been thinking on this for awhile and I think I can make the proper brackets but I am trying to find the right metal that will work for this job.

oh wow, I just checked out IPDB. yeah mine is completely wrong. what happens to these things, do they break or something?
I'm guessing that gate wasn't used on any other game.

#796 4 years ago

anyone have side pics of these brackets, all I've found is top down.
Did they use the same type of metal as they did for the other brackets (that aluminum pot metal stuff)?

I can try to make something, doubt it's gonna be pretty though.

#797 4 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

oh wow, I just checked out IPDB. yeah mine is completely wrong. what happens to these things, do they break or something?
I'm guessing that gate wasn't used on any other game.

Quoted from hocuslocus:

Did they use the same type of metal as they did for the other brackets (that aluminum pot metal stuff)?

I don't know what happens to them. My guess is that an idiot with a screwdriver removed them, then forgot about them, then sold the pin.

I honestly have not looked at the metal that close. I do think it is stainless steel but I will need to remove one and have a closer look. You could probably get a couple of gates like what you have and do some bending. How they look when finished is not important unless you are selling them. You will not see them when they are installed.

You will need to match drill two holes in the upright part of the bracket. They need to be perfectly match for position location. Then one of the holes needs to be filed out with a slot.

They will take a little bit of tooling and time. If I made a pair I would have to charge you $50.00. This is why I have not messed with it.

I'll get you some pics this afternoon.

#798 4 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't know what happens to them. My guess is that an idiot with a screwdriver removed them, then forgot about them, then sold the pin.
I honestly have not looked at the metal that close. I do think it is stainless steel but I will need to remove one and have a closer look. You could probably get a couple of gates like what you have and do some bending. How they look when finished is not important unless you are selling them. You will not see them when they are installed.
You will need to match drill two holes in the upright part of the bracket. They need to be perfectly match for position location. Then one of the holes needs to be filed out with a slot.
They will take a little bit of tooling and time. If I made a pair I would have to charge you $50.00. This is why I have not messed with it.

I had a little bit of free time. Here are some pics. My memory is refreshed; I know why I have not tried to make these. This would be a job for Mantis. But I only know of you and one other Catacomb owner that needs these.

They are made of stainless steel with a very hard temper. You will not build anything of this quality with a pair of pliers and a bench vise. The loop on the left side of the gate wire is a counterweight to close the gate after the ball passes.

IMG_1749 (resized).JPGIMG_1749 (resized).JPG

IMG_1746 (resized).JPGIMG_1746 (resized).JPG

This piece has two slots. This is for installation proposes. You twist the wire gate into the two slots. Then you install the other end of the gate into the hole in the opposite bracket and screw that bracket to the pin.

IMG_1747 (resized).JPGIMG_1747 (resized).JPG

So, the questions are:

1) Could you just make two angle brackets, each with a matched drill hole and install those? Probably. But then you are going to have to make a real long gate wire and the extra weight of the wire might affect how it works with the ball.

EDIT: I'll call the bracket with the one hole (not the two slots) the lower bracket. That lower bracket acts as the stop for the gate wire. Any different dimensions you use to build these brackets will require you to address how you bend your gate wire.

#799 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I had a little bit of free time. Here are some pics. My memory is refreshed; I know why I have not tried to make these. This would be a job for Mantis. But I only know of you and one other Catacomb owner that needs these.
They are made of stainless steel with a very hard temper. You will not build anything of this quality with a pair of pliers and a bench vise. The loop on the left side of the gate wire is a counterweight to close the gate after the ball passes.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
This piece has two slots. This is for installation proposes. You twist the wire gate into the two slots. Then you install the other end of the gate into the hole in the opposite bracket and screw that bracket to the pin.
[quoted image]
So, the questions are:
1) Could you just make two angle brackets, each with a matched drill hole and install those? Probably. But then you are going to have to make a real long gate wire and the extra weight of the wire might affect how it works with the ball.
EDIT: I'll call the bracket with the one hole (not the two slots) the lower bracket. That lower bracket acts as the stop for the gate wire. Any different dimensions you use to build these brackets will require you to address how you bend your gate wire.

Here are some pics with the gate wire installed.

This pic shows the gate being installed. It is installed at an angle into the two slots. Then it is twisted into position and the lower bracket is installed.

IMG_1750 (resized).JPGIMG_1750 (resized).JPG

This is the complete assembly installed. The loop in the gate wire which is the counter weight nests against the upper bracket when it is at rest.

IMG_1752 (resized).JPGIMG_1752 (resized).JPG

This is the activated position. The ball pushes through and rotates the gate wire 90 degrees ( see position of counterweight loop). After the ball passes, the counterweight, along with weight of the wire pulls the gate back into closed position. This all happens in the blink of and eye. This gate is what keeps to bagatelle ball from running back down the chute.

The 90 degree rotating movement of the gate wire is checked by the back glass. With the back glass removed, I could continue to rotate the gate another 90 degrees for a full 180 degree rotation.

IMG_1756 (resized).JPGIMG_1756 (resized).JPG

And this pic shows 180 degrees of rotation.

IMG_1754 (resized).JPGIMG_1754 (resized).JPG

#800 4 years ago

damn, that looks like pretty thick steel

Quoted from cottonm4:

I'd be fine with that, if that's something your willing to do. Gonna be a bit, before I even try to attempt it.
yeah, messing with stainless steel would be tricky to say to the least without the proper tools & experience. Maybe finding something else that's a little bit more pliable, but won't bend out of shape over time.... have no idea what that would be.

I really appreciate the pics, that looks more difficult to put together then I would of imagined. If more people needed this part, maybe mantis would look into doing it, but 2 people probably wouldn't make the cut. I'm gonna do some research at least, since this is an upcoming project for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 125.00
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-club/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.