Catacombsnip3 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip2 (resized).JPG
Catacombsnip (resized).JPG
20230115_134232.jpg
20230115_132630.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #217 Good summary of complicated rules on bagatelle. Posted by cottonm4 (7 years ago)

Post #244 Catacomb tips. Posted by cottonm4 (6 years ago)

Post #299 Great rule summary. Posted by cottonm4 (6 years ago)

Post #311 Catacomb rules video. Posted by OTTOgd (6 years ago)

Post #328 PAPA video linked! Posted by harbngr (6 years ago)

Post #434 Analysis of Stern production numbers Posted by Shapeshifter (5 years ago)

Post #608 Roger Sharp game review for Catacomb from 1981 Posted by Shapeshifter (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 29.
#1 9 years ago

I recently bought a Catacomb machine and, as far as I'm concerned, that's the only one that is up and running in Brazil, so I need overseas members to start a new club! Anyone?

Catacomb chegada.JPGCatacomb chegada.JPG

#2 9 years ago
_dusty-spiderwebs_26691_600x450.jpg_dusty-spiderwebs_26691_600x450.jpg
#3 9 years ago

Count me in. Love mine

#4 9 years ago

One club I would love to join one day. Nice rare game.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

One club I would love to join one day. Nice rare game.

Always the kind words...
In my case this is the only club I could not leave fast enough.

This is also the only game I actually (kind of) sold twice. The first buyer came, left a deposit, promised to come a week later... and never showed up. All I had was his mobile phone and email address... he never answered: I left many messages and finally decided to relist the game after 5 more weeks.

#6 9 years ago

Tough game. Arguably the most difficult game to score well on in my collection.

Learning to 'control' bagatelle along with cat-like reflexes is the quickest way to complete the 'Toast'. Which I've done ... twice? Not easy.

Great game.

#7 9 years ago

Probably the best classic stern for me! Really like it.

I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to buy one restored by one of my friend... beautiful job and machine

catacomb 1.JPGcatacomb 1.JPG catacomb 2.JPGcatacomb 2.JPG catacomb 3.JPGcatacomb 3.JPG catacomb 4.JPGcatacomb 4.JPG
#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

_dusty-spiderwebs_26691_600x450.jpg

hehe.... agree!!!!

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Always the kind words...
In my case this is the only club I could not leave fast enough.
This is also the only game I actually (kind of) sold twice. The first buyer came, left a deposit, promised to come a week later... and never showed up. All I had was his mobile phone and email address... he never answered: I left many messages and finally decided to relist the game after 5 more weeks.

So why are you selling?

#10 9 years ago

I might have to be an associate member .. I have the playfield and backglass, but no cabinet to put it in ..yet..

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

So why are you selling?

Because I hated its gameplay. Extremely poor PF layout: Important shots (locks, some of the drop targets) cannot be made directly and are mostly lucky shots. Not to mention the bagatelle which is near impossible to master but awards more points than regular play...

On the other hand, it is a gorgeous looking pin, with a cool theme, great cabinet, backglass and PF artwork. My ratings reflect these conflicting views... I gave Catacomb an overall 5.381 mark which seems fair.

PS: (just curious) explain me how you can rate WoZ 1.0 ?

#12 9 years ago

Did you watch the excellent rules/gameplay video I posted above? I can understand some hating the gameplay due to actually having to think and react VERY quickly to do well.

'Extremely poor PF layout'? Why ... because you don't have a clear shot for everything? Too bad! Be aware of the ball's movement and use the bumpers and nudge into the drops and locks. The best description of the locks I heard from another collector, is that they're 'secret areas, not unlike special things found in a fantasy dungeon'. I thought that was a cool description.

But I do wish there was an option for locked balls to eject between balls (not unlike Spirit) so more fair for all players in a multi-player tournament setting.

The bagatelle doesn't award more points than regular play! It helps you fill the Toast and, hopefully, you complete a row ... or four, for extra balls and end-game bonus.

But it's frantic! You have to be really aware of your current Toast-fills and be sure your left-hand is ready to change colours quickly if the bagatelle ball is going to go in a lit column! I usually try to light three inserts of each colour before changing to the next. 'D' is the only column that I can confidently control, physically.

Brilliant rules in an inspired playfield design. But ruthless. Not for the timid.

#13 9 years ago

Great game. I remember nobody played it in the arcade because they couldn't figure it out. That meant more play time for me.

Turn off the background sounds, though.

#14 9 years ago

Catacomb creates very differing opinions mainly due to the random bagatelle and confusing rules. I love it for the complexity and shot making needed to get the right drop at the right time. Great spinner that often sweeps the top target bank.

Random locks are a classic Stern specialty, see Nine Ball, that is another problem for some.

The one drawback for me, and it's the same with other Sterns, is that multiball does nothing but add extra balls. No score multiplier or anything extra for achieving multiball.

#15 9 years ago

I love this Pin. It is pretty challenging and really the only shots I can't make and are random are the ball locks. I can hit the 'B' bank by shooting up the middle of the pops. Get the angle right and you can usually hit any of the three. But it is a really, really tough shot.

The Bagatelle just takes practice. I can usually hit what I want about 65-70% of the time. the only one I have a real hard time with is the 'A' lane. Quick flipper movement is key if you miss. Also helps going in with a strategy of trying to get the color banks that have the least. Usually I go green, blue. As you can get the red or yellows locked for the drops by the roll overs at the top left.

This was my 1st restore and so made a few mistakes, but learned a lot. If you want to take a gander.

https://harbngr.wordpress.com/catacomb/

I've been keeping an eye out for a blown PF in hopes of doing a better job on the restore. But i'm happy with it and don't see it going anywhere.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Because I hated its gameplay. Extremely poor PF layout: Important shots (locks, some of the drop targets) cannot be made directly and are mostly lucky shots. Not to mention the bagatelle which is near impossible to master but awards more points than regular play...
On the other hand, it is a gorgeous looking pin, with a cool theme, great cabinet, backglass and PF artwork. My ratings reflect these conflicting views... I gave Catacomb an overall 5.381 mark which seems fair.
PS: (just curious) explain me how you can rate WoZ 1.0 ?

Answering your question, and not wanting to get into any further discussion because we are in a Catacomb forum, I think WoZ is a sissy game made for sissy people (no intention to offend anyone) I just do not like the theme, neither the music, neither the LCD BG/display, neither the princess shoes flippers.... the list could go on....

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

I love this Pin. It is pretty challenging and really the only shots I can't make and are random are the ball locks. I can hit the 'B' bank by shooting up the middle of the pops. Get the angle right and you can usually hit any of the three. But it is a really, really tough shot.
The Bagatelle just takes practice. I can usually hit what I want about 65-70% of the time. the only one I have a real hard time with is the 'A' lane. Quick flipper movement is key if you miss. Also helps going in with a strategy of trying to get the color banks that have the least. Usually I go green, blue. As you can get the red or yellows locked for the drops by the roll overs at the top left.
This was my 1st restore and so made a few mistakes, but learned a lot. If you want to take a gander.
I've been keeping an eye out for a blown PF in hopes of doing a better job on the restore. But i'm happy with it and don't see it going anywhere.

I got the chance to buy this machine because the 2 previous owners could not master the gameplay..... as for me, I love the challenge!

CATACOMB WANTS YOU BACK!!!

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

I might have to be an associate member .. I have the playfield and backglass, but no cabinet to put it in ..yet..

The cabinet is easy!!! Good luck!!!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Did you watch the excellent rules/gameplay video I posted above? I can understand some hating the gameplay due to actually having to think and react VERY quickly to do well.
'Extremely poor PF layout'? Why ... because you don't have a clear shot for everything? Too bad! Be aware of the ball's movement and use the bumpers and nudge into the drops and locks. The best description of the locks I heard from another collector, is that they're 'secret areas, not unlike special things found in a fantasy dungeon'. I thought that was a cool description.
But I do wish there was an option for locked balls to eject between balls (not unlike Spirit) so more fair for all players in a multi-player tournament setting.
The bagatelle doesn't award more points than regular play! It helps you fill the Toast and, hopefully, you complete a row ... or four, for extra balls and end-game bonus.
But it's frantic! You have to be really aware of your current Toast-fills and be sure your left-hand is ready to change colours quickly if the bagatelle ball is going to go in a lit column! I usually try to light three inserts of each colour before changing to the next. 'D' is the only column that I can confidently control, physically.
Brilliant rules in an inspired playfield design. But ruthless. Not for the timid.

"toast" is great!!!! I prefer Catacomb Entrance!!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Awesome pics man! Congrats!

#21 9 years ago

Thanks man. What's your high score so far? think mine is 1.3mil or so.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Thanks man. What's your high score so far? think mine is 1.3mil or so.

I've been there, but since I reseted her a while ago my high score is not that high!

20150410_200511.jpg20150410_200511.jpg
#23 9 years ago

20150410_195832.jpg20150410_195832.jpg

Another pic of my beauty. .. Still got some stuff to do. ...

PRISONER CAPTURED! !!

#24 9 years ago

Nice. I think any score near 500k is a good game.

#25 9 years ago

I can't believe there were almost 4,000 of these produced. It sure seems rarer than that, I've only seen one in person.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I can't believe there were almost 4,000 of these produced. It sure seems rarer than that, I've only seen one in person.

You know what? It's a great game and I'm loving it.... Search one for yourself!!!!

#27 9 years ago

Anyone knows where can I find replacement/reproduction plastics?

#28 9 years ago

Used, or recreate yourself. I don't know of anyone reproducing new ones.

I wouldn't mind finding another playfield either.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I doubt that many were made... In that Stern era the median production number was closer to 2000, and Catacomb seems to be on the rare side of that era.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Used, or recreate yourself. I don't know of anyone reproducing new ones.
I wouldn't mind finding another playfield either.

Once a friend of mine repro'ed some ID4 slingshots for me.... I'll check with him if he can do the same with Catacomb plastics if I am able to scan it .... if I get a positive answer, anyone in the line?

#31 9 years ago

Catacomb is awesome. I have had mine in my Classic Stern collection for about 10 years now and is going nowhere fast. The game is FANTASTIC. The trick is calming down the tone of the play and being very focused on game play and thinking on your feet. It is the best absolute game play for keeping on your toes and mastering the play. My high score is 1.5 million. I have done it twice. But it take ALOT of practice and time. It just does not happen. You have to play brilliantly and you have to get the shots off the pops into the kick valves every time. It is not for the weak. It will tear you apart.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Once a friend of mine repro'ed some ID4 slingshots for me.... I'll check with him if he can do the same with Catacomb plastics if I am able to scan it .... if I get a positive answer, anyone in the line?

Mine's in storage and I don't remember what condition the plastics are in, but based on where I got it I'd have to say yes, I'm in.

#33 9 years ago

Can I be in the club if I play catacomb on location? One went into the local arcade a few months ago--a test game that appears to have been in storage since it was on test. Apparently the only one in Japan.

It's got the lettered 'toast' instead of numbers, but the 'spot 1' '6', and '2' targets still say that, so the op lettered on the glass where those three targets are

#34 9 years ago

I would like to own this game at some point. Love those torches on the front!

#35 9 years ago

This game has my favorite cabinet art. Runners up are Stern Dracula and Bally Silverball Mania.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

Can I be in the club if I play catacomb on location? One went into the local arcade a few months ago--a test game that appears to have been in storage since it was on test. Apparently the only one in Japan.
It's got the lettered 'toast' instead of numbers, but the 'spot 1' '6', and '2' targets still say that, so the op lettered on the glass where those three targets are

If you're a fan you're more than welcome!

You see, I always wondered if the lettered "toast" (that will stick!) makes the game less challenging... Everyone, any thoughts?

image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg

#37 9 years ago

I found a cabinet today hurrah!

Can any one tell me where to buy the yellow backbox ball? or an equivalent?

#38 9 years ago

Just buy a wood ball from a craft store or similar and paint it. The balls for the Gottlieb bowling and soccer games PBR sells aren't the right size.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

I found a cabinet today hurrah!
Can any one tell me where to buy the yellow backbox ball? or an equivalent?

Nice!!! Good luck on bringing it back to life!!!!!

I have the same question.... Mine isn't a original one!

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Just buy a wood ball from a craft store or similar and paint it. The balls for the Gottlieb bowling and soccer games PBR sells aren't the right size.

ok thanks.. what is the right diameter?

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

ok thanks.. what is the right diameter?

1 inch.

#42 9 years ago

Yesterday I took all of my plastics off and I will send them to be copied and repro'ed.... Hope to receive the new set in a couple of months! Fingers crossed that the new plastics will be awesome and fit perfectly right away!!!!

#43 9 years ago

Confirmed

IMG_6561.JPGIMG_6561.JPG

2 weeks later
#44 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Confirmed
IMG_6561.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

My ball is white..... Guess it's not original.....

#45 8 years ago

Never get tired of looking at these awesome pinscore green displays!

20150508_211153.jpg20150508_211153.jpg20150508_211108.jpg20150508_211108.jpg

2 weeks later
#46 8 years ago

Yesterday I spent the day replacing all old/original game posts, rubbers and lane guides for brand new ones.... Already sent the plastic set to be reproduced..... I'm really anxious to have this game up and running again!

#47 8 years ago

Can they do more then one set of plastics? My spider and the mini torch one at the top are bad. the rest are good.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

Can they do more then one set of plastics? My spider and the mini torch one at the top are bad. the rest are good.

Sure.... my set wasn't perfect either, but it will serve as the basis for the reproductions, along with lotsa pics I have sent....

If you are up to, I can order these specific plastics for you or even a whole new set. I already bought repro'ed plastics for my Congo and Johnny Mnemonic and liked very much the overall quality!

#49 8 years ago

New keyring and door decal!

20150529_183916.jpg20150529_183916.jpg20150529_193357.jpg20150529_193357.jpg20150529_183901.jpg20150529_183901.jpg

#50 8 years ago

I like the door decal idea. I think it would look better if it was centered vertically and maybe expand the black border to fill in the depression.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 1,408 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/catacomb-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.