Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by GPS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Hello All

Have a weird situation with a security camera that is connected via CAT 5 and uses POE.

This is the second camera now that, when you look at the physical connection, the pins on the one end of the connector appear to be burned.

I attributed the first camera to having water intrusion that may have caused this but now that it is happened again and water intrusion possibilities were mitigated with the replacement camera, unlikely.

Please have a look at the picture and weigh in as to possibilities. This camera is fed with a long feed from the main house. I have two other cameras with slightly longer feeds and they have been fine for years. CAT 5 cabling is running above ground. Only thing that I can surmise is that the feedline somewhere between the camera and where it enters the house has become compromised. Has a rodent chewed on it?? Don’t know.

I can tell you that when I replaced the original camera with the second one, it was fine for a couple weeks!!

Halo is always appreciated

George

Thank you

George

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

Originally a non-pass through connector was used to terminate the CAT 5. Second time a pass through was used

???

#3 1 year ago

If you have POE going through there that could cause that type of damage I would suspect.

#4 1 year ago

Too much P over the E

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

Too much P over the E

More like too much "I".
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from GPS:

This is the second camera now that, when you look at the physical connection, the pins on the one end of the connector appear to be burned.

1) Is the connection point exposed to weather?
    2) Were the ends of the wire already terminated, or did you (or someone else) terminate them? Either way, there's a possibility that the wires in the ethernet cable weren't terminated correctly. Here's a cheap ethernet cable tester: https://www.amazon.com/AOWIZ-Network-Cable-Tester-Ethernet/dp/B09F68WGLK That should be able to tell you if there's a short or any crossed wire pairs.
    3) What device is providing PoE power? The recording unit? A separate switch?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

1) Is the connection point exposed to weather?
    2) Were the ends of the wire already terminated, or did you (or someone else) terminate them? Either way, there's a possibility that the wires in the ethernet cable weren't terminated correctly. Here's a cheap ethernet cable tester: amazon.com link » That should be able to tell you if there's a short or any crossed wire pairs.
    3) What device is providing PoE power? The recording unit? A separate switch?

The ends of the Ethernet cable weee terminated by me and the replacement camera worked correctly for 2-3 weeks. The system providing the power is a DVR for a security system.

Would think if I miswired the CAT5 it would not have initially worked for 2-3 weeks?

#8 1 year ago

All other cans on the system are working fine. Maybe just that particular channel if the dvr is the issue. Maybe remove the CAT5 from the dvr and put it into another channel??

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Would think if I miswired the CAT5 it would not have initially worked for 2-3 weeks?

Probably, although it might be possible to swap the two positive wires carrying voltage.

Quoted from GPS:

All other cans on the system are working fine. Maybe just that particular channel if the dvr is the issue. Maybe remove the CAT5 from the dvr and put it into another channel??

I wouldn't until you test the cable. It might be terminated correctly, but there might also be a rodent problem in the middle, like you said.

So, as a precaution to avoid frying other equipment, I'd test first, then if that checks out, go ahead and swap.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Probably, although it might be possible to swap the two positive wires carrying voltage.

I wouldn't until you test the cable. It might be terminated correctly, but there might also be a rodent problem in the middle, like you said.
    So, as a precaution to avoid frying other equipment, I'd test first, then if that checks out, go ahead and swap.

#11 1 year ago

Excellent. Thank you!!

#12 1 year ago

The recorders POE output could be the issue and/or the cable. Being that the cable is not as long as some of the other cameras that still work it's likely the power source (recorder). Replace any bad ends and maybe try a separate POE injector

https://www.amazon.com/Injector-Compliant-Compatible-TL-POE150S-TPE-113GI/dp/B09BFBM6PQ/ref=asc_df_B09BFBM6PQ/

#13 1 year ago

Looks to me like you're not getting a good connection on the power pins in the camera pigtail, leading to arcing and burning. Did you re-terminate the cable after the first incident? If not I bet the gold plated connectors in the cable are shot. If so, maybe try re-terminating with a different brand RJ-45 plug? Make sure the cable is good and snug when clicked in.

I've seen SATA HDD power connectors burn up during normal use just because they didn't have a good grab on the edge connector... they overheat and burn, just like the old J122 connectors for WPC GI.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Looks to me like you're not getting a good connection on the power pins in the camera pigtail, leading to arcing and burning. Did you re-terminate the cable after the first incident? If not I bet the gold plated connectors in the cable are shot. If so, maybe try re-terminating with a different brand RJ-45 plug? Make sure the cable is good and snug when clicked in.
    I've seen SATA HDD power connectors burn up during normal use just because they didn't have a good grab on the edge connector... they overheat and burn, just like the old J122 connectors for WPC GI.

Absolutely did re-terminate the cable. I needed two pliers to pull the cable out of the camera end. Damn near felt welded.

What really seems to throw me for a loop is that when I put in the second camera and put on a new RJ45, it worked for 2-3 weeks and then died.

Confusing!!

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from JBtheAVguy:

The recorders POE output could be the issue and/or the cable. Being that the cable is not as long as some of the other cameras that still work it's likely the power source (recorder). Replace any bad ends and maybe try a separate POE injector
    amazon.com link »

Is there any reason why I cannot use another channel of the dvr?

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Maybe the DVR is overloaded and the cameras are drawing more power than it can handle?

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe the DVR is overloaded and the cameras are drawing more power than it can handle?

Cameras are matched to the dvr and are made by the same company as the dvr. I think the only thing that MAY be the save bet is to replace the camera obviously but also the feed from the main house to the location if the camera??

#18 1 year ago

IDK. Seems like either cheap china connectors or some kind of design issue with the DVR setup.
    I thought all RJ45s had gold plating on the crimp connector. It's really "odd" to me that they choose to use tin plated "Wipers" in the female end. Maybe that's part of the issue.

What did the camera's tech support say when you contacted them about burnt connectors?
    Maybe it's a known problem they don't want to admit?

#19 1 year ago

I have not contacted the company as I feel often times if it is an issue they are hesitant to say anything for fear it gets out and the competition uses it. I have Personally run into this in my primary business. I don’t trust what “the company” says as they are watching their own asses. I felt I would get a whole lot more honesty here than talking to the company

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

IDK. Seems like either cheap china connectors or some kind of design issue with the DVR setup.
    I thought all RJ45s had gold plating on the crimp connector. It's really "odd" to me that they choose to use tin plated "Wipers" in the female end. Maybe that's part of the issue.
    What did the camera's tech support say when you contacted them about burnt connectors?
    Maybe it's a known problem they don't want to admit?

These don’t appear to be tin zit. They have a yellow appearance??

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from GPS:

You could absolutely try another port on the recorder. The POE injector will be a more robust power supply than your recorder. If it's easy to do I would also completely replace the Cat5 cable and if available use Cat6 (it's slightly thicker copper and wound tighter for faster data transmission). I've had Cat cables go bad on projects. Although it's not common I have definitely had it happen to me especially on outdoor cables. Be sure to use a direct burial cable. A standard cable's jacket will deteriorate over time and water can get in there.

#22 1 year ago

The run fir this particular cam is approx 200 feet minimum. May have to wait till I get a weather window. Thank you for your kind help

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cat-5-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.