Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by SteveFury
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1018.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

Hey guys - getting ready to send some stuff off to get chromed - but I also have a lot of smaller parts that I think could do well with being zinc plated. Have seen several of these home zinc plating kits and the reviews look very promising. Has anyone ever used any of these?

Here is the one I am looking at. http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/zinc-plating-kits/copy-cad-zinc-plating-kit-3-gal.html

Also was wondering about this one - the elctroless version. http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/electroless-plating-kits/electroless-nickel-jumbo-kit-5-gals.html

What are your thoughts? Good results? Also - for the electric version - I have heard getting a power supply is the right answer. Can anyone recommend one?

#2 9 years ago
    Quoted from toro1966:

Hey guys - getting ready to send some stuff off to get chromed - but I also have a lot of smaller parts that I think could do well with being zinc plated. Have seen several of these home zinc plating kits and the reviews look very promising. Has anyone ever used any of these?
    Here is the one I am looking at. http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/zinc-plating-kits/copy-cad-zinc-plating-kit-3-gal.html
    Also was wondering about this one - the elctroless version. http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/electroless-plating-kits/electroless-nickel-jumbo-kit-5-gals.html
    What are your thoughts? Good results? Also - for the electric version - I have heard getting a power supply is the right answer. Can anyone recommend one?

What are you planning to zinc plate? IMO zinc plate is more to protect stuff that isnt going to be seen - they show it on a carburetor - is that the type of finish you want?

I think some playfield screws and under playfield parts come zinc plated... but for stuff like habitrails, i wouldnt want them zinc plated...

Back in the days that I owned a boat - all of the stuff was zinc was because that would rust away first... being a sacrificial anode

#3 9 years ago

Exactly - it's all under playfield parts - for example the two 4 bank drop targets on Mata Hari. Caswell also has several other finishes available in kits as well - Nickel for example is a pretty nice finish that looks good and is fairly durable.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from toro1966:

Exactly - it's all under playfield parts - for example the two 4 bank drop targets on Mata Hari. Caswell also has several other finishes available in kits as well - Nickel for example is a pretty nice finish that looks good and is fairly durable.

If youre happy with the zinc finish, then go for it. Caswell sells great stuff - maybe look around their forums for tips/suggestions

#5 9 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these kits.

#6 9 years ago

Looks promising for a variety of pin parts particularly hardware. I note website indicates 'no heaters included' and that the process requires 110F-not sure the heating process. Also I am unsure how the process deals with small quantities at a time. Does it need a new mix each time. I might try and delve a bit deeper-I note there is an Australian distributor.

#7 9 years ago

Heater is only required if you purchase the electroless. And in that kit - they give you a glass bowl you put on the stove for the heat I believe. Thinking this might be nice - especially for those under the playfield parts that are plated - but don't have to be chromed. The target banks for instance - look like they were either zinc or nickel plated to begin with.

#8 9 years ago

Think I'm going to get the 2.5 gal electroless nickel kit from Caswell. It's about $200 but should be able to plate about 600 sqin of parts. That's not a crap ton, but it should give me an idea of how it works.
    http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/nickel-plating-kits/electroless-nickel-plating-kits/electroless-nickel-deluxe-kit-2-5-gals.html

#9 9 years ago

I tried a cheap one sold by one of the automotive stores. Not very happy with it. My biggest tip would be to make sure what you are plating is perfectly smooth. The coating is so thin, every bit of pitting/corrosion will show thru the new plating. These kits are not like sending it out to a professional plating company. Those folks do a lot pr prep to polish the parts very smooth and use a several step process to build up a nice finish. (like the work Mike Chestnut does) Will watch this thread if you report back on your results.

#10 9 years ago

That's what I'm worried about and frankly - though I know how to prep the parts, it is time consuming and labor intensive if you don't have the right stuff. The professional platers have specific processes and baths they use to make it a little less painful prepping the stuff. still time consuming - but I have a bum shoulder so sanding and polishing is getting more and more painful. So I am looking for a way to avoid that. I have a sand/bead blast cabinet and can get the parts smooth - but they will also be dull. From what i understand - if you want really shiny plated parts - you kind of need to shine them before you plate them - i.e. the shinier the product you start with the shinier you end up with when plated.

I have even given some thoughts to just spray painting them after sand blasting them...blaspheme!

#12 9 years ago

Be sure to let us know how it turns out. I have been looking at these kits but I think I have fund a local source that will nickel plate for $2 per square ft. Have not verified the source yet.

Bob

#13 9 years ago

Arrived today. Ridiculously quick. Ordered the 31st and here today. One of the pots was damaged so I'll be getting a hold of them Monday to send me another one. Also have to get a couple of hot plates this week. Then I'll be in business. Goal is to be trying it by next weekend.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from toro1966:

Arrived today. Ridiculously quick. Ordered the 31st and here today. One of the pots was damaged so I'll be getting a hold of them Monday to send me another one. Also have to get a couple of hot plates this week. Then I'll be in business. Goal is to be trying it by next weekend.

Interested to know whether this kit in Australia replicates what you have purchased toro1966?

http://www.caswellplating.com.au/store/store.php/products/electroless-nickel-kit

1 week later
    #15 9 years ago

Ok, well I finally got around to plating some stuff. Took a bit to get started because in addition to the kit, I had to buy a couple of hot plates. You can use a stove if you have burners but I have a glass top which won't work. Anyway, they were $20 a piece. I also bought two new thermometers. The kit comes with one but it arrived broke. I could have had Caswell send me another but for $5 on Amazon I just bought two new ones. You really need two anyone because you have to keep both pots at temp. I'll post a full review of this process eventually but here you go, before and after.
    image-763.jpgimage-763.jpgimage-75.jpgimage-75.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    image-72.jpgimage-72.jpgimage-785.jpgimage-785.jpgimage-394.jpgimage-394.jpg

#16 9 years ago

That looks great. Thinking about doing this myself for my HH resto.

#17 9 years ago

Those flipper units look great!

Is that the zinc plating or is it nickle?

#18 9 years ago

Wow, those look nice. Almost purchased one of those kits before. Can't wait for your review.
    Keith

#19 9 years ago

Great, now another thing I have to buy.
    Looks awesome!

#20 9 years ago

Those look sweet... Wow!!!

#21 9 years ago

Has anyone ever used the Brass Kit?

#22 9 years ago

Ok, so as promised - a short review. First the goods:
    1 - The kit is pretty complete. So you really don't need much more to get started plating.
    2 - The instructions are pretty clear. You do have to do some calculations which they show you how to do. But overall, easy to understand.
    3 - The results are very good. I had a couple of streaks initially in my first batch but I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't rinse properly after I degreased the parts. Newbie mistake. Even still, the results were outstanding.
    4 - Caswell's customer service is very good and shipping was quick. It was two days to my doorstep. When the kit arrived, one of my pots was damaged. I called them and they sent another with no questions. Also, when I was ordering I asked A LOT of questions. They answered everyone and were very knowledgable.

Now for the others (not so goods)
    1 - It is a little labor intensive and time consuming. You have to clean the parts before you degrease them. In my case I have a blast cabinet and blasted the parts with glass bead. The smoother the parts are before you plate, the shinier they will be.
    2 - This is not a set it and forget it process. You have to watch it for the entire 30-60 minute cook time. Which is not an issue, but you should not plan on multitasking too much.
    3 - Cost. Still not sure it's cost effective because you can only plate so many parts before you have to order new chemicals. To put it in context, I think I'll be able to plate both four bank drop targets as well as the flipper mechs but then will have to buy more chemicals. But...I am doing it at home without having to send it out and getting very good results operating on my own timeline.

Here's a pic of my setup. My 16 yr old son came in and said I had been watching too many episodes of Breaking Bad..
    image-371.jpgimage-371.jpg

#23 9 years ago

That might be the perfect cover story for your clandestine lab.

#24 9 years ago

Yeah, you need one of those yellow hazmat suits too...
    hazmat.jpghazmat.jpg

#25 9 years ago

What do you do with the spent chemicals?

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

What do you do with the spent chemicals?

When you have completely used up the useable zinc in the solution, they provide you some steel wool pads and a separate solution to "plate out" the rest of the zinc and make the solution safe for the drain. So basically you just have to throw away the steel wool pads and dump the pots down the drain when you're done.

#27 9 years ago

That is a terrific & much appreciated profile toro1966 and you achieved a great result. Would you then mind clarifying what the chemical cost component (as distinct from initial setup cost) was of plating the drop target banks & flipper mechs. Thks

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from toro1966:

When you have completely used up the useable zinc in the solution, they provide you some steel wool pads and a separate solution to "plate out" the rest of the zinc and make the solution safe for the drain. So basically you just have to throw away the steel wool pads and dump the pots down the drain when you're done.

Thanks

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

That is a terrific & much appreciated profile toro1966 and you achieved a great result. Would you then mind clarifying what the chemical cost component (as distinct from initial setup cost) was of plating the drop target banks & flipper mechs. Thks

I haven't completed the drop banks yet, just the flipper mechs. Drop target number one though is blasted, cleaned, and ready to plate. Took some time off to watch the game

That said, I believe I'll be able to plate both drops with the stuff I have left - that came in the original kit. That said, I plated the flipper mechs with a mil - which is a little overboard. You actually only need about .5 mil. So I am going to try the drops with .5 mil. Hopefully post more pics tomorrow!

#30 9 years ago

Well, results are pretty nice. Not perfect, but nice. Think I am still getting the hang of this stuff. Jury is still out on cost. Was only able to get one of the Drops done. So - one 4 bank drop and 2 flipper mechs for about $200. Definitely too expensive. That said, I know I am wayy over plating. These should all only have .5 mil. Industry standard is between .3 and .5 mil. On the mechs I had 1 mil. Mainly because the finish "looks" better with 1 than with .5 mil. Anyway, think I can get the cost down for those times I just can't wait and I don't want to send something out to be plated, but not sure I can recommend it yet. Mike does a better job and for cheaper! Anyways - here are some before and after of the drop.
    Before:
    IMG_0686.jpgIMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpgIMG_0692.jpgIMG_0695.jpgIMG_0695.jpgIMG_0697.jpgIMG_0697.jpg
    After:
    IMG_1011.JPGIMG_1011.JPGIMG_1010.jpgIMG_1010.jpgIMG_1009.jpgIMG_1009.jpgIMG_1008.jpgIMG_1008.jpg

#31 9 years ago

That is just a beautiful finish toro1966 but as you say it comes at a cost which perhaps restricts the process to 'special keeper restos' or may even rival new part costs if available. Again thks for sharing.

#32 9 years ago

Any chance you have a pic after bead blasting but before plating?

#33 9 years ago

Some of those costs you mentioned could be spread over several batches, correct? Like the hot plates, pots, etc?

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

I do - I'll post them shortly

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Some of those costs you mentioned could be spread over several batches, correct? Like the hot plates, pots, etc?

That is correct, but the chemicals are pretty expensive and don't plate as much as expected. The surface area of these parts adds up. The pots, hot plates, thermometers, etc are one time costs - the chemicals alone for this batch are about $110. Which does make it more palatable - but still spendy.

I am going to experiment today a little just for grins. I have technically used up all of the usable nickel. The solution is not supposed to get below 80% nickel - which is why you periodically add solution throughout. I am going to try to just plate using what's left and see what happens. Worst case scenario it doesn't work and i just have to blast those parts again. Not a big deal.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Here you go.
    IMG_0998.jpgIMG_0998.jpgIMG_0999.jpgIMG_0999.jpg

#36 9 years ago

Awesome, like most things the prep work is the most important step.

#37 9 years ago

Ok - so, having run out of the additive chemicals, I decided to keep plating to see how far I could get. So bsically - one 4 bank drop target was done adding chemicals as required during the process. And the other was done just using what was left in the pot. The results are actually pretty nice. There is no question that when you add chemicals as required the result is shinier, apparently as the nickel level drops, so does the shine. That said, I have no doubt that if I had wanted to - I could have shined the second drop as well. I did not feel a need as it still came out really nice. You'll notice some circles/shadows on the top of the second one where the switches mount. This is because I tried something new and sanded the piece before plating and after sandblasting. Time to order more stuff!IMG_1015.JPGIMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPGIMG_1016.JPGIMG_1017.JPGIMG_1017.JPGIMG_1018.JPGIMG_1018.JPGIMG_1019.JPGIMG_1019.JPGIMG_1020.JPGIMG_1020.JPGIMG_1021.JPGIMG_1021.JPG

#38 9 years ago

I wonder if you can get the chemicals locally cheaper than Caswell?

You can certainly get the black anodizing dye cheaper.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I wonder if you can get the chemicals locally cheaper than Caswell?
    You can certainly get the black anodizing dye cheaper.

Yeah like in 55 gallon drums. That ought to last ya a while.

2 months later
    #40 9 years ago

I was going to conside copper plating. It seems that process may be less expensive with readily available materials. The question is how good the quality would be. Yours look simply beautiful.

One can Youtube copper plating, there's a lot of information out there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/caswell-zinc-plating-kit-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.