Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Xenon75
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Casters as levelers vs. Pinskates”

• Pinskates 7 votes
      54%
    • Casters 6 votes
      46%

(13 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20210321_170725 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210321_170654 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Aloha,

I think Pinskates are great, and I want some... However, $170 before shipping is a little steep. I know they're worth it, but geez. My MS Frank pin has casters in place of the back leg levelers and I've had no problem whatsoever moving the machine around on my own.

So, what do you think? Casters on the back, or buy Pinskates? I've got a new machine(s) coming in, and a set of casters costs around $7. And here are the ones I'm looking at:

(Pics attached)

Thanks,

z

IMG_20210321_170654 (resized).jpgIMG_20210321_170654 (resized).jpgIMG_20210321_170725 (resized).jpgIMG_20210321_170725 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Pinskates are great. They are the best thing for moving pins. They allow you to move a pin over nearly ANY surface, over cords and other objects, and allow you to move it solo. They also require the least effort and are the least damaging to pins.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

Aloha,
    I think Pinskates are great, and I want some... However, $170 before shipping is a little steep. I know they're worth it, but geez. My MS Frank pin has casters in place of the back leg levelers and I've had no problem whatsoever moving the machine around on my own.
    So, what do you think? Casters on the back, or buy Pinskates? I've got a new machine(s) coming in, and a set of casters costs around $7. And here are the ones I'm looking at:
    (Pics attached)
    Thanks,
    z
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Casters sound awful to play on... nudging would tilt instantly and send the game flying.
    I’d just get pin skates. You shouldn’t be moving a game constantly! Pick a place and leave it

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Pinskates are great. They are the best thing for moving pins. They allow you to move a pin over nearly ANY surface, over cords and other objects, and allow you to move it solo. They also require the least effort and are the least damaging to pins.

Thanks @Daditude. I would very much like some, and I'll probably break down and buy a set, but right now I'm working on a tight budget and my "game room" is just a plain wooden floor, so casters are adequate. But yeah... I'm sure I'll be picking up Pinskates sooner than later.

z

#6 3 years ago

ForceFlow Your two cents please?

P.S. Nice high scores. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

Your two cents please

Most of the times, pins are intended to be stationary.

Even with locking castors, the wheels can still swivel.

Like Isochronic_Frost alluded to, castors are not ideal for playing.

Also, I'd suggest following this recent thread on good options for moving pins: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-wheel-dollies-or-pinball-skates-help-a-noob

#8 3 years ago

How often are you moving this game around? I would just get a set of the furniture sliders for when you need them. Cheap and way easier to slide under and move a game if you need to.

#9 3 years ago

ForceFlow

Cool. Thanks for your input. I'll check out the thread!

By the way, I'm not nudging because I have rubber floor guards on the front levelers and I'm afraid of ripping the legs off the machine and damaging the floor...

So for me, casters are okay, but... They're not my favorite - they're just my favorite price.

Again, thank you.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

How often are you moving this game around? I would just get a set of the furniture sliders for when you need them. Cheap and way easier to slide under and move a game if you need to.

grantopia

Only as often as I need to. I might look into your idea - it sounds pretty good too although I worry about stress on the leg joints even though it's sliding around. You have experience with this method I presume?

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

grantopia
    Only as often as I need to. I might look into your idea - it sounds pretty good too although I worry about stress on the leg joints even though it's sliding around. You have experience with this method I presume?

I wouldn't really worry about it if you are doing it infrequently. If the game is on sliders there shouldn't be much effort required to move it around. I have a pinball dolly now that I use, but have used them in the past before with no issues and occasionally use them now if I already have a game on my dolly.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

grantopia

I have experience with people that put castors on pinball machines, and the absolute answer is NO. Do not do this. Go down to Home Depot and buy a set of "sliders". They make these for multiple surfaces. For carpet, they are smooth plastic bottoms. And for hardwood, they are a fluffy carpet on the bottom. Just like PinSkates, you need to get under the machine to put them in. You just pop the game up on your back, and put them under. You can also lift the end of the game and slide it under the leg with your foot, but I highly recommend against that because it puts you into an awkward position and you might wrench your back doing it that way.

Those are cheap (less than 20 for a big set, and cheaper for single sets). The machine will slide easily. Then you just pup them out and put them in the cupboard until the next time you have to move a game.

Personally I still use sliders in one of my rooms. I own PinSkates, and I have a real pinball cart (which is worth owning with as many games as I have). Just don't use castors, because the game will not be stable, and it will be unsatisfying to play. Even when they feel like they lock in, over time playing them they will shift, and you might slam the heads of games into each other. Also, don't leave sliders under games, for the same reason.

#13 3 years ago

Casters are a terrible idea.

Pinskates are ok, not my favorite. They are a step up from these: ebay.com link: 4 Piece Pinball Machine Caster Wheel Leg Mover Dolly Skate Wheels

Those caster dolly skates will slip off if the floor is uneven. Pinskates are solid, but they are a pain to put on especially when the game is against a wall and surrounded by other machines.

The modified harbor freight dolly is by far my favorite. It is cheaper than pinskates and a professional pinball cart. It is more maneuverable than a cart. It is cheaper than both.

#14 3 years ago

Those casters you posted hold 90lbs.... you might want to double check how much your game weighs... get the pinskates. they last forever. Mine are going on 20 years old and have moved hundreds of machines.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/casters-as-levelers-vs-pinskates and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.