Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jamesays
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_market_146093_0.jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Wait! Banking has gotten so bad that USAA won’t let you get cash out? My god!

[Image removed]

#2 1 year ago

Isn't USAA an insurance company?

#3 1 year ago

Probably more of an online bank with ATM's to withdraw cash so getting that amount out in cash is the challenge.

#4 1 year ago

They are a bank for military and their family. The buyer likely just doesn’t have a local branch near them to get that much cash.

#5 1 year ago

I use USAA. I hit up a few ATMs for a few days if I need cash. I think there is a 5000 a day limit regardless of account size but you can 100% get cash.

#6 1 year ago

As long as it clears prior to transfer don’t see the problem? He has the option to do a cash advance at any local bank for free ( USAA doesn’t charge a fee) they just swipe and go. I’ve used this before for large cash transactions

#7 1 year ago

Seems fishy ...

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

As long as it clears prior to transfer don’t see the problem? He has the option to do a cash advance at any local bank for free ( USAA doesn’t charge a fee) they just swipe and go. I’ve used this before for large cash transactions

Certified Cashiers checks can be fraudulent and banks aren't trained or able to tell if its a bad check until upto 2 weeks later. I would never recommend any take a Certified Check. Bank wire transfer or cash are the only two ways you are protected as a seller

#9 1 year ago

As stated, USAA is tailored around military families/relations and their situations (living overseas, deployments, etc.). Unless you live in Texas, there are no physical branches to go to to withdraw money. The only options are online or bank wires. Nothing fishy about this.

I was a USAA member for about 20 years and did everything through them (banking, insurance, mortgage, car loans, etc). They are a horrible insurance company and at one point rated something like the 13th worst bad faith payout insurance companies in the world. Their banking system is cumbersome and not convenient for people unfamiliar with USAA. I have since moved on and completely gotten away from USAA.

All that being said, there is no reason to do a cashier check from USAA, it’s just as easy (if not easier) to just do a traditional wire transfer.

#10 1 year ago

Be careful with personal info. You posted this persons name, where they live, and where they bank.

#11 1 year ago

Ive only done cash deals, but in general shouldnt a certified check be almost as good as cash?

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Be careful with personal info. You posted this persons name, where they live, and where they bank.

that is absolutely precious, lol

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

Ive only done cash deals, but in general shouldnt a certified check be almost as good as cash?

They can be faked convincingly enough to fool the bank employees. You find out a couple weeks later when they figure it out and now they've deducted that amount from your account. Your money and your item is gone.

#14 1 year ago

Cash on the glass. It ain’t hard to remember it rhymes.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

They can be faked convincingly enough to fool the bank employees. You find out a couple weeks later when they figure it out and now they've deducted that amount from your account. Your money and your item is gone.

Since it’s a check against the bank’s, not buyer’s, funds can’t you call the bank’s published phone number to confirm it’s valid? Or have your bank manager call them before depositing?

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elephanthead:

Cash on the glash...? Cass on the glass?

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from SterlingRush:

Cash on the glash...? Cass on the glass?

Case on the Glase.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from SterlingRush:

Cass on the glass?

Pinside_market_146093_0.jpgPinside_market_146093_0.jpg
    #19 1 year ago

How do you pronounce those to get them to rhyme? shhh and ssss don't rhyme where I am.

#20 1 year ago

Quoted from ForceFlow:

How do you pronounce those to get them to rhyme? shhh and ssss don't rhyme where I am.

Cash on the glass or you'll be out on your ass.

#21 1 year ago

Don't checks clear almost instantly now? I don't think it takes weeks to find out if you've deposited a bad check these days. I have had personal checks deducted from my acccount the same day someone thousands of miles away deposits them. If it's someone who is known in the pinball community or very local to you, I would think that the odds of them forging a cashier's check, let alone a convincing one from a known bank, would be about the same as the odds of them giving you counterfeit bills. Typically, that type of fraud originates from overseas scams.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Don't checks clear almost instantly now? I don't think it takes weeks to find out if you've deposited a bad check these days. I have had personal checks deducted from my acccount the same day someone thousands of miles away deposits them. If it's someone who is known in the pinball community or very local to you, I would think that the odds of them forging a cashier's check, let alone a convincing one from a known bank, would be about the same as the odds of them giving you counterfeit bills. Typically, that type of fraud originates from overseas scams.

NO! While checks initially clear in a day or so, they then pass through some kind on banking protocol where the check clears through various subsequent stages. The bottom line is the check can come back as fraudulent even 2 or 3 weeks after it has been initially deposited. Don't ask your bank teller, ask the bank manager absolutely positively how long does it take until the check is cleared and there is NO possibility of the funds being reversed or claimed as fraudulent. You will be surprised by the answer!

PS Any kind of check can be convincingly faked today. Postal money orders, cashiers checks, personal checks, etc. If its for more than a few bucks and you don't know the buyer, don't take it! Or roll the dice and hope for the best. Your choice.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

No. The funds are required to be made available, but the checks don't actually clear for up to 2-4 weeks. So, you might be in for a surprise a couple weeks down the line when the banks figure out a check isn't legitimate.

#24 1 year ago

Cargument ? I sold a classic Car and was paid with a Cashiers Check,went to the Bank and cashed it.I told the Banker I only accepted a Cashiers Check because it cant be reversed.The Banker said yes it can be reversed.I stopped accepting checks of any kind from a Stranger.If You like Roulette take it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cashiers-check?hl=mbrave77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.