Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PennSkier
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

You can do paypal. If you send it as a friend no one pays any fees. They have apps so you can do the transaction onsite.

#52 10 years ago

Put it in perspective. Chances are you are walking around with car keys, and your car is likely worth a fair bit more than 5k. It's not a monetary barrier, its a mental one, nothing more.

-Wes

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Put it in perspective. Chances are you are walking around with car keys, and your car is likely worth a fair bit more than 5k. It's not a monetary barrier, its a mental one, nothing more.
    -Wes

Not at all equivelent....

#54 10 years ago

I always bring someone else with me when picking up a pin. Carrying the cash isn't too big an issue unless I know I'm in a dodgy area, how many times have you been mugged in your life? What are the chances that someone happens to mug you on the one day your carrying a lot of cash? The only time I get worried is using the bank near my work which is in a bit of a dodgy area, more concerned that noone in the bank sees how much money I'm pocketing.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Not at all equivelent....

Ugh.. I never said they were equivalent, because that's not the point. The point is, if you want to live in fear while you are walking around with 5k in your pocket you might as well be scared sihtless for countless other reasons.

-Wes

#56 10 years ago

Never a problem. When I walk in they're worried I'll take THEIR money!

#57 10 years ago

I actually have a different concern here. All of us (including me) got wrapped up in the issue of carrying the cash around (and bragging about who can shoot who lol) - the original question.

Did anyone notice that Airplane has 0 machines in his collection?

Where I am going is this - Airplane - you said you are considering a "deal" for 2 games totalling $5K. Is this your first purchase? (If you already own pins and they simply are not listed on Pinside, the rest of what I say may be irrelevant).

If these are your first pins, it almost feels like you might be taking too big of a leap. If you have $5K to spend, I would almost recommend spending half that on ONE GAME from a retailer who will offer support when the game comes home if there are problems. Pinside has alot of them. Maybe your seller has offered some support after the purchase - there is no way I can know that.

I am simply interested in you having a good experience with your first pin(s) - I am a bit concerned about the "deal". I'd rather see you dip one toe in than take the full plunge right out of the gate.

That's my 2 cents.

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from PennSkier:

I actually have a different concern here. All of us (including me) got wrapped up in the issue of carrying the cash around (and bragging about who can shoot who lol) - the original question.
    Did anyone notice that Airplane has 0 machines in his collection?
    Where I am going is this - Airplane - you said you are considering a "deal" for 2 games totalling $5K. Is this your first purchase? (If you already own pins and they simply are not listed on Pinside, the rest of what I say may be irrelevant).
    If these are your first pins, it almost feels like you might be taking too big of a leap. If you have $5K to spend, I would almost recommend spending half that on ONE GAME from a retailer who will offer support when the game comes home if there are problems. Pinside has alot of them. Maybe your seller has offered some support after the purchase - there is no way I can know that.
    I am simply interested in you having a good experience with your first pin(s) - I am a bit concerned about the "deal". I'd rather see you dip one toe in than take the full plunge right out of the gate.
    That's my 2 cents.

that's a good point, my first pin I got home and a wire had come loose, I couldn't find it on my own and luckily the seller was a great guy and came around to help fix it and show me a bunch of other things I needed to know as well. Learnt a lot of basics from him about fault finding minor things. Hell I couldn't even get the test menu to do a coil test because I had no clue I needed to close the coin door for it.

#59 10 years ago

Yeah, you soon realize that some things in life are cash and carry and for those uninitiated, it can seem overwhelming. Many things are done in cash still and pinball machines are just one of them.
    Many of us have lost the 'cash in the pocket' feeling since debit/credit cards are so easy to use.

Cash is hand is about the surest way to not get scammed. Very few pinball buyers are going to be using fake bills.

All other forms of payment have risks. PayPal, only accept gift so they don't dispute. Money orders are often faked.

I agree with chatting with the seller and go by your 'gut' feeling. I wouldn't bother with a gun. Shooting someone is likely to cost you far more than 5,000 that has a very small chance of getting stolen from you. That is if you don't get shot/killed in the process.

Chris

#60 10 years ago

Take gold bricks, and by time you drive there, they'll be worth 20% more.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

5k is easy its only becomes a problem when you start pushing 10g's it puts an awkward bulge in your pocket

Yeah but its a GOOD feeling !!

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Biggest deal I had was 12k cash at once in my pocket and that was basically a tree trunk (even in all 100's).

I would give anything to be in a 27' Penske rental truck again with my buddy Brian, on our way to Sturgis, SD with 19K to buy 22 pins. Not that I carry that kind of cash every day, but I thought nothing of it.

I figured everyone figured we were just a couple of idiots in a truck.

#63 10 years ago

I only except cash unless the buyer has good references or if I have done past deals with him. And the form of payment is agreed to before pickup.

True story: I good friend wanted to buy at 17K Porsche from a banker in NY. The banker refused to accept any other form of payment, even a cashiers check from his own bank chain. He insisted that that my friend take 17K cash to the bank branch he worked at in order to buy the car. My friend refused to drive across 3 states with 17K in his pocket, so the deal went south.

Think about it, a banker will not accept a cashier's check, even if it comes from his own bank chain. That tells me everything I need to know about cashiers checks, let alone personal checks.

Tom

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Ugh.. I never said they were equivalent, because that's not the point. The point is, if you want to live in fear while you are walking around with 5k in your pocket you might as well be scared sihtless for countless other reasons.
    -Wes

Ok, Charlie Brown (ugh) =)

Carrying the cash for shorter time is about being smart, not scared.

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from airplane:

I am looking at buying 2 pins for $5000.00 cash, I have never carried that much in cash before.

Why run if you're not being chased?

#66 10 years ago

Anyone ever wonder about the guys from American Pickers? They pay cash for everything but never show the transaction on camera. They've bought motorcycles for $20k+ with cash (so they say), I kind of wonder how much they carry around at any given time. Sure they have a camera crew with them now, but before the show they were wandering around the country with large amounts of cash on them or in their van. I'm guessing they might have been nervous a time or two.

#67 10 years ago

The OP hasn't even been back since creating the thread. What's the deal OP?

#68 10 years ago

He was mugged...

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

Anyone ever wonder about the guys from American Pickers? They pay cash for everything but never show the transaction on camera. They've bought motorcycles for $20k+ with cash (so they say), I kind of wonder how much they carry around at any given time. Sure they have a camera crew with them now, but before the show they were wandering around the country with large amounts of cash on them or in their van. I'm guessing they might have been nervous a time or two.

I don't wonder about the guys from American Pickers, because the show is 100% fake.

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I don't wonder about the guys from American Pickers, because the show is 100% fake.

Yeah that's "TV Magic."

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

FAKE???? Next thing you are going to tel me is that the Easter Bunny does not crap out colored eggs.

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Not true! 60% fake.

#73 10 years ago

Outside of cash, a wire transfer is the safest for the seller. Set it up so that you can call your bank to initiate the transfer once you see the game.

I just sold my very nice MM, and the seller brought cash.

Also, I just bought a game with Paypal (close to 4K). I was a little surprised as Paypal is not guaranteed. An unscrupulous buyer can later challenge the transaction. But I am an honest guy and the seller trusted me. I also picked up the fees. (Why should the seller be stuck with fees when he/she can sell it for cash)
    There were fees because I paid with a credit card. I was going to wait on my bonus from work to buy a game I wanted, but a good deal came up 2 weeks before my bonus, so I charged it and then paid it off 2 weeks later when I got my bonus.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

yes. even the chick on the show, while local, was still hand picked to look good on the camera. Does her job of course, but is easy on the eyes.

#75 10 years ago

Most sellers don't take Visa or Mastercard.

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

I always bring someone else with me when picking up a pin. Carrying the cash isn't too big an issue unless I know I'm in a dodgy area, how many times have you been mugged in your life? What are the chances that someone happens to mug you on the one day your carrying a lot of cash? The only time I get worried is using the bank near my work which is in a bit of a dodgy area, more concerned that noone in the bank sees how much money I'm pocketing.

I did not see the random mugging as the problem. It is the fact that you are going to meet a person that has advertised a very expensive item for you to purchase. You are going to buy something for several $K in his home turf. There is always the possibility of getting baiting into bringing a lot of cash to them. We do not hear about it happening much now but the risk increases with the price of machines. As they cost more, it is only a matter of time before thieves decide it is worth running the scams with them.

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

I did not see the random mugging as the problem. It is the fact that you are going to meet a person that has advertised a very expensive item for you to purchase. You are going to buy something for several $K in his home turf. There is always the possibility of getting baiting into bringing a lot of cash to them. We do not hear about it happening much now but the risk increases with the price of machines. As they cost more, it is only a matter of time before thieves decide it is worth running the scams with them.

I haven't worried much about this since when buying a pin you ask specific questions that only another pinball owner would know.
    For example, you ask about wear, condition of cabinet, plastics. You also ask for pictures. Also, you are typically meeting at the persons home. (Not always though)
    I can see smaller ticket items being much more of a target for scammers. iPads, jewelry, etc..

I don't recall someone being outright robbed during a pin purchase. You do hear of people getting ripped off when buying a pin remotely. Typically this is, the condition was not as advertised.

#78 10 years ago

I live in Canada. We just trust others, or y'all are paranoid

Best advice is bring a friend

#79 10 years ago

I might be even more paranoid than the OP. Being very new to this hobby, I don't even feel comfortable sending that kind of cash via Paypal to a stranger. I've had sellers on eBay and Amazon Marketplace rip me off for far less - as little as $10. So I can only imagine the kind of fraud that can occur with a $5,000 transaction.

I realize a lot of people know each other on this forum, but I know nobody. I've even been contacted by another pinsider looking to sell so I replied back with some pretty reasonable questions with no response back. It just struck me as odd and only makes me more cautious about who to deal with.

Regardless of how blessed we are to participate in this hobby, 5K is a lot of money in the real world. (And if I lost it, it would be a lot of money to me too.) I would say for most people it's an insane amount of money.

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from rennervision:

I might be even more paranoid than the OP. Being very new to this hobby, I don't even feel comfortable sending that kind of cash via Paypal to a stranger. I've had sellers on eBay and Amazon Marketplace rip me off for far less - as little as $10. So I can only imagine the kind of fraud that can occur with a $5,000 transaction.
    I realize a lot of people know each other on this forum, but I know nobody. I've even been contacted by another pinsider looking to sell so I replied back with some pretty reasonable questions with no response back. It just struck me as odd and only makes me more cautious about who to deal with.
    Regardless of how blessed we are to participate in this hobby, 5K is a lot of money in the real world. (And if I lost it, it would be a lot of money to me too.) I would say for most people it's an insane amount of money.

Actually, a lot of sellers won't accept paypal because buyers often rip them off. They will send money and then dispute the transaction after the deal, and paypal usually sides with the buyers. That's only what Ive seen others say they experienced. Maybe someone else who has personal experience can offer up examples.

As far as someone not getting back to you after questions, that surprises me. It's probably better you didn't hear back then anyway. I would say to be patient, do your homework, and deal with someone who has a good reputation. Ive bought a number of games from people on here, and sold one, and everyone has been forthright and easy to deal with.

#81 10 years ago

It's a legit concern for people new to the hobby. People are conditioned these days to not risk having large amounts of cash. There are stereotypes about people/deals that require cash only. People hear of victims of being lured into places and being robbed, etc.

But what never makes the news is when a seller gets scammed, cards disputed, PayPal fights, fees, etc. so someone new to the hobby, it seems 'off' that people require cash for deals that are so large. Heck, a car dealer will just let you take a car with just a copy of your license... What's the big deal?

So yeah, it is a learning curve for people new to the hobby.

Most of the guidance has already been noted
    - make sure someone knows where you are and when you should be back (I call home when I go in for the deal and when it's done)
    - take a friend... The more gnarly the better
    - I prefer to not carry the cash on me - I keep it locked up in the car and retrieve it when the deal is agreed to
    - and from the other thread... I recommend writing a simple bill of sale which you both sign stating the amount, and that it's sold 'as is' and no warranty
    - also, once you paid it's yours... That means you are liable for any damage done to it.. Loading, etc. so if you are going to rely on the seller to move it... Make your choice wisely on when to move vs pay. Some will move it before paying, some will not.

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

yes. even the chick on the show,

She's the fakest part of the show. as every tattoo'd alterna chick is on any show full of nerds. I think Myth Busters came up with that one though.

#83 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

She's the fakest part of the show. as every tattoo'd alterna chick is on any show full of nerds. I think Myth Busters came up with that one though.

Kari on myth busters worked for Jamie before the show started. Jamie had interns at m5 that lead to some of the people that were tried as cast for the show.

#84 10 years ago

I carried 8k in cash across three states to Passaic NJ.Thought I was going to this guys house to pick up this pin.He gave me the address to his shop which was down all these back streets in a rough neighborhood.I just knew I was going to be robbed as soon as I got out the truck.The deal turned out fine but what an uneasy feeling.I guess he didn't trust me either.

#85 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Kari on myth busters worked for Jamie before the show started.

Sure, I more meant she might have started the rush on placing some eye candy on shows. Not that she wasn't qualified.

#86 10 years ago

Yer lucky ya made it!

#88 10 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

The OP hasn't even been back since creating the thread. What's the deal OP?

I now join this chorus. OP = What is the status? Is there an ending to this story yet?

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cash-only-sale-have-you-done-this/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.