(Topic ID: 275672)

"Cash on the glass" - you travel to unknowns with that kind of money?

By lancestorm

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by sbmania
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Joke (resized).jpg
    E7DFCE67-5A12-4080-B13B-C2C9689723EF (resized).png
    gn (resized).jpg
    FF6217FA-99CD-410A-A91F-8B9EB9DC4856 (resized).jpeg
    13A51855-43C9-4A42-9385-AA66B8BCFAA0 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    B1631DE4-99FF-4257-93B5-E7DCD8088A5A (resized).jpeg
    6C949336-A2CC-4C2B-AC78-215B83B04816 (resized).jpeg
    F9C0283D-A925-444F-A9D8-589F784AF835 (resized).jpeg
    B6C1A361-2F50-4890-A286-67D0779F9060 (resized).jpeg
    119 (resized).jpg
    tenor (9).gif
    There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 3 years ago

I know we say cash is king and a lot of pinball sales are cash on the glass. But for the ads on Facebook and Craigslist, are folks really going out to someone's house they don't know, arriving with $5K+ in their pocket? Call me what you want, but that sounds like a good way to get robbed. Just curious your experiences with this / how to lessen the chance! (I know Pinside can be a little safer but not all are vetted.)

#2 3 years ago

I never show up with that kind of cash for that very reason. Every time I have purchased a game that required cash on glass, I showed up and looked everything over/met the seller and then went and got the cash from the bank.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

I know we say cash is king and a lot of pinball sales are cash on the glass. But for the ads on Facebook and Craigslist, are folks really going out to someone's house they don't know, arriving with $5K+ in their pocket? Call me what you want, but that sounds like a good way to get robbed. Just curious your experiences with this / how to lessen the chance! (I know Pinside can be a little safer but not all are vetted.)

It's the general practice.

I keep my loot locked up in truck. Then i go in and meet seller and scope it out. Once i'm sure i'm buying, i go get said loot. I make buyer count in front of me.

#4 3 years ago

Don't post on social media when you are going there or where.

Bring at least one friend.

Research the area for crime rates.

LTG : )

#5 3 years ago

I only do cash deals if I know the person well or it is under $1000. Paypal friends and family or zella.

#6 3 years ago

I make sure to meet in a very public place. That gives me enough comfort.

#7 3 years ago

Don't go alone, and always "carry"

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Bring at least one friend.

I usually bring two

Mr. Smith
    Mr. Wesson

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I usually bring two
    Mr. Smith
    Mr. Wesson

Beat me to it...but also limits my buying of games in NY/NJ due to this.

#10 3 years ago

Yep, typically leave it in the vehicle till I am ready to buy.

Been a long time, but back in college I bought a game from an arcade that had closed years prior. It had a gym, go kart track, etc all off the highway, all closed. Can remember pulling into the parking spot thinking if I get murdered no one will hear me scream. Still bought the game, nice guys.

#11 3 years ago

I already have the cash from prior sales, so it sorta has to come with me... Good luck finding a bank that's open nearby otherwise anyway.

If they can rob it from my pocket they can rob it from my car, so screw it.

#12 3 years ago

I always think of the funny scenario of getting pulled over carrying a gun and that much money.

Cop: “Sir can you explain why you have over 10k cash and a gun on your person?”

Me: Well funny enough I’m on my way to buy 2 pinball machines

Cop: “And you need 10k for that? Aren’t pinball machines like 2 or 3 hundred bucks?!!!”

Edit follow up response:

Me: “ha well some of the older used ones maybe but newer ones get up there”

Cop: “newer ones?!! They still make pinball machines???
    Look why don’t you tell me what you’re really doing son?”

#13 3 years ago

I leave cash hidden in truck. Have something else in pocket if needed

#14 3 years ago

Yup, always have it on me and ready to spend at a moments notice. Last time I bought two storage lockers full of pins and did a cash deal for the entire contents of both lockers right in front of another "buyer" that didn't come with any money. Money talks and BS walks......

John

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Cop: “And you need 10k for that? Aren’t pinball machines like 2 or 3 hundred bucks?!!!”

or . . .

Cop: "I don't believe you, large sum of cash, gun, you clearly are involved in a drug deal, and we are confiscating the funds and gun" and under civil forfeiture laws all they need to do is suspect you of a crime, they don't even need to arrest you, then you need a legal fight to prove you are innocent, to get your money and gun back.

#16 3 years ago

These guys must never buy used cars or anything off craigslist. If someone shows up without cash they’re just wasting the buyers time. Deposits or trying to hold a game for someone are a recipe for headaches.

No way I’d accept anything but cash payment from a stranger.

#17 3 years ago

Yep, just lock it in the glove box until needed. Always let my wife know what address I'm going to, the person's name, and the amount I'm taking with me and game im going to buy. Never had a deal that didn't feel right yet but always good to have someone know what the plan was I guess.

#18 3 years ago

I just don't understand this business about bringing a gun. So, let me understand how this scenario would work: You go with $5,000 and a gun, presumably concealed. The person then pulls a gun on you and tries to rob you. You now have a choice of (a) giving the money and walking away, or (b) doing a fast draw and pulling out your gun? Is that right, or am I missing something? And, then if you choose option (b), it seems to me that you have a decent chance of getting shot yourself. Other possibilities are shooting the other person -- not ideal -- or having the other person back-off -- seemingly unlikely at this point when two guns are out. I'm seriously just trying to understand it because there have been a number of threads now where people talk about bringing a gun to a pinball purchase. It really doesn't seem worth it to me. It sucks to be robbed, but it sucks worse to have your life end or end someone else's.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

or . . .
    Cop: "I don't believe you, large sum of cash, gun, you clearly are involved in a drug deal, and we are confiscating the funds and gun" and under civil forfeiture laws all they need to do is suspect you of a crime, they don't even need to arrest you, then you need a legal fight to prove you are innocent, to get your money and gun back.

To sum it up make sure your license plate light bulb isn’t burnt out and don’t speed!

#20 3 years ago

I carry - always. Don't trust anyone and you'll never be disappointed.

#21 3 years ago

I leave cash hidden in truck along with my cards. Only bring in a few bucks initially for deposit.

#22 3 years ago

Don't forget about the reverse of this scenario. Guy gives you 5K, loads up your machine and clubs you over the head and takes his 5k back AND your machine.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I just don't understand this business about bringing a gun. So, let me understand how this scenario would work: You go with $5,000 and a gun, presumably concealed. The person then pulls a gun on you and tries to rob you. You now have a choice of (a) giving the money and walking away, or (b) doing a fast draw and pulling out your gun? Is that right, or am I missing something? And, then if you choose option (b), it seems to me that you have a decent chance of getting shot yourself. Other possibilities are shooting the other person -- not ideal -- or having the other person back-off -- seemingly unlikely at this point when two guns are out. I'm seriously just trying to understand it because there have been a number of threads now where people talk about bringing a gun to a pinball purchase. It really doesn't seem worth it to me. It sucks to be robbed, but it sucks worse to have your life end or end someone else's.

Never draw from the drop. Play along and wait for your opportunity, because it will come. Then you shoot until the threat is eliminated.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I live in fear of running into a rural Cop that knows what a Cali Girl or a Thermometer Case holds.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Most robberies are via strong-arm or snatch and grab. Most people are willing to take the lesser charge versus armed robbery at gunpoint/knifepoint.

If they’re robbing you they’re most likely already a criminal, and want the least amount of effort for the maximum amount of cash. They also don’t want to stick their neck out.

A lot of variables involved. This is anecdotal but sadly quite a few of my friends have made poor decisions after high school/college so I know a lot about how they go about their business lol

That’s also why they usually just demand money and avoid threats because it’s a lesser charge and you get out of jail a lot faster AND you can potentially get lots of money quickly.
    Similar to how most burglars will simply search for an open window or door versus smashing one.

It’s hard to believe but once you resist or use force the average robber will give up and try again on an easier target.

Only exception is druggies.
    They CAN and WILL kill you over a pack of bubblegum if it means the next fix.

#26 3 years ago

I don’t get the “I keep my money hidden in the car” idea.

Let’s assume the following

A=your car in their driveway
    B=your car keys in your pocket
    C=your cash stashed in your car

Is the following equation not true?
    A+B=C

#27 3 years ago

I always bring a friend with me, both for security and help with carrying. Also, it's nice having someone to talk to on the road.
    Here in Sweden we usually don't do cash but rather transfer the money digitally using our smartphones/immediate bank transfer. Seller get immediate confirmation in phone that the money is on their account (and no, its not refundable so no possibilities for a scam there).

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

I say only buy from friends or distros if you’re going to spend that kind of cash.

#29 3 years ago

A
    B
    C

Always be closing

#30 3 years ago

I just looked over my entire collection. There are only 2 games I bought from people I didn't know. And for one of them, I brought a friend with me. The other one was only a $700 deal, so it wasn't a big deal.

I can't remember the last game I sold to someone I didn't know. I almost did a couple weeks ago, but a friend knew them. Plus when they arrived, they recognized me immediately because I had met them a couple years ago (nice people).

It's all simple. Keep yourself safe, and if you don't feel safe, don't do it. Just listen to that inner voice, and when it says "danger", stop what you are doing. Let people know where you are. Take pictures on your phone that go to your cloud account. If there are cars, get those pictures of all license plates into the cloud.

And really, if someone tries to rob you, give them the money, then call the police when you're safe. No need to die over a little money.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I always bring a friend with me, both for security and help with carrying. Also, it's nice having someone to talk to on the road.
    Here in Sweden we usually don't do cash but rather transfer the money digitally using our smartphones/immediate bank transfer. Seller get immediate confirmation in phone that the money is on their account (and no, its not refundable so no possibilities for a scam there).

“I’m bringing my best friend along, he’s a former marine and a cop” nearly every time the scammers stop responding lmao

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Some people think they are Clint Eastwood since they have a holstered gun. I went to a decent neighborhood to buy a used TV a few years ago. The man of the house made it a point to accidentally reveal his holstered gun covered by his untucked shirt. After that, I counted three instances where he turned his back to me long enough that if I was up to no good, I could've knocked him out with a lead pipe or some small concealed weapon, grabbed his gun and robbed his family...but he had a gun so he was bulletproof.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Some people think they are Clint Eastwood since they have a holstered gun. I went to a decent neighborhood to buy a used TV a few years ago. The man of the house made it a point to accidentally reveal his holstered gun covered by his untucked shirt. After that, I counted three instances where he turned his back to me long enough that if I was up to no good, I could've knocked him out with a lead pipe or some small concealed weapon, grabbed his gun and robbed his family...but he had a gun so he was bulletproof.

Not true at all. Anyone with a brain carrying will not let anyone know. I hate open carry, never do it. Take my money, big deal. But I'm not gonna let someone possibly harm me or people with me without at least trying to defend.

#34 3 years ago

I had a cop fly out to MSP airport, meet me in baggage and then we walked out to parking ramp to transact on a NOS playfield I was selling. Somehow he was able to board the plane with the playfield. When we concluded business I helped him find ticketing/check in and we both laughed a little about how we had our guard up doing a deal in the parking lot like that wondering if that was the best idea. In theory he could have checked (or even carried) a piece on the flight out but generally I had the advantage of knowing he was likely unarmed where I could have been. Neither of us were.

#35 3 years ago

I never think twice about carrying the cash in my pocket. If I'm showing up to your place, I am planning on giving you the money anyway! I can't stand it when someone comes over to buy a game and doesn't bring money.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

I can't stand it when someone comes over to buy a game and doesn't bring money.

^^^This, oh my God this. Have the cash stashed in your truck, wherever, fine. But do not come to my house under the pretenses that you want to buy a game and then not have the money and/or the ability to transport said game. That is a great way of never getting the opportunity to buy a game from me again.

#37 3 years ago

75% of the games I've sold are to people on Pinside with good reputations. I generally buy project games under $1500. I regularly buy 1-3K in tools to resell via Craigslist from strangers. Always at a public place with security cameras. And yes I also carry when I meet them. But in 300+ buys, never had an issue.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Beat me to it...but also limits my buying of games in NY/NJ due to this.

Hey now!

#39 3 years ago

By the time you are about to buy a game, you have talked with the other person and have already worked out time/place/condition/amount. If it seems off, then that's the time to bail.

With cheap games, you aren't carrying enough money to be worthwhile to rob. With expensive games, they have something of high value (and probably others) and are unlikely to risk stealing from you.

If you meet at someone's house, then you know where they live - many places you can verify that. Let someone know, use common sense and you'll be fine.

In this time of Covid, you can also ask to meet on their driveway probably - last game I sold was on my driveway in full view of neighborhood. Buyer could see the game when he pulled up.

#40 3 years ago

Has anyone actually been robbed at someone’s house/place of residence? It’s not like we go pick up pin at some deserted arcade next to a loud highway. Oh wait, scratch that... dung did that.

#41 3 years ago

Surprised so many ppl pack or at least pretend too.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

it sucks worse to have your life end or end someone else's.

It would not suck one bit to get rid of a low life trying to rob me.

#43 3 years ago

Americans and their guns. It just doesn't end.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It would not suck one bit to get rid of a low life trying to rob me.

Perhaps try thinking about the root cause of why they are robbing instead of calling them a low life. No one is born that way. What causes someone to rob is a result of a number of factors. I’m not trying to excuse it, but I don’t really care to take anyone’s life. I would rather give up the money and go to the police.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Perhaps try thinking about the root cause of why they are robbing instead of calling them a low life. No one is born that way. What causes someone to rob is a result of a number of factors. I’m not trying to excuse it, but I don’t really care to take anyone’s life. I would rather give up the money and go to the police.

No, if you steal, rob or cheat someone ,you are a lowlife. No excuses

#46 3 years ago

I strut in there like this.
    I WISH A MF WOULD.

tenor (9).giftenor (9).gif
    #47 3 years ago

I bring a buddy

119 (resized).jpg119 (resized).jpg
    #48 3 years ago

I have only bought new from a distro, and my gun is always with me. (I have a permit).

I am not worried about the distro, I am just prepared in case my truck were to break down.

What worries me the most is when I am on the side of a road, if someone else stops, not sure if they are stopping to help me, or try to rob me.

I also hate NJ and NY as far as gun laws. We used to go to amusement parks up there. (the 3 Six Flags parks).

My permit is good in most states that I want to go to anyway, so that is cool.

#49 3 years ago

Have any pinsiders been robbed or had close calls or things get sour on a deal? I can see that might happen in an arranged meeting place. But it’d be pretty ballsy to go to someone’s house and they tried something. (If it’s really even their place I guess)

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from cantbfrank:

Has anyone actually been robbed at someone’s house/place of residence?

Dealing pins, no. Classic Cars, yes.

There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cash-on-the-glass-you-travel-to-unknowns-with-that-kind-of-money?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.