(Topic ID: 275672)

"Cash on the glass" - you travel to unknowns with that kind of money?

By lancestorm

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by sbmania
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Joke (resized).jpg
    E7DFCE67-5A12-4080-B13B-C2C9689723EF (resized).png
    gn (resized).jpg
    FF6217FA-99CD-410A-A91F-8B9EB9DC4856 (resized).jpeg
    13A51855-43C9-4A42-9385-AA66B8BCFAA0 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    B1631DE4-99FF-4257-93B5-E7DCD8088A5A (resized).jpeg
    6C949336-A2CC-4C2B-AC78-215B83B04816 (resized).jpeg
    F9C0283D-A925-444F-A9D8-589F784AF835 (resized).jpeg
    B6C1A361-2F50-4890-A286-67D0779F9060 (resized).jpeg
    119 (resized).jpg
    tenor (9).gif

There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from PBMAN:

I did a cash deal. No fault of buyer but one of the $100 Bills were counterfeit. Bank and I went over this bill top to bottom. Look and felt as real as it gets. Only thing different was Hologram of BF had a smirk
    Advice is get the marker and check the bills.
    [quoted image]

In the past I worried about counterfeit money until I found a guy that actually collects it and he is willing to pay 20% over face value for it? So if I end up with a counterfeit bill I can actually make a little money on it. That is if I find out before the bank takes it away!

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

Americans and their guns.

FF6217FA-99CD-410A-A91F-8B9EB9DC4856 (resized).jpegFF6217FA-99CD-410A-A91F-8B9EB9DC4856 (resized).jpeg
    #103 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Preparedness and Fear are not sides of the same coin.

No but imagining events that are unlikely to pass is the definition of Fear.

It's not like we live in a 3rd world country where it genuinely IS unsafe.

America is a nation of cowards hiding behind a thin veil of 'freedom' and 'preparedness' and we're watching our country burn with no end in sight. A gun in your pocket is not going to change that.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from ibuypinballs:

Never paid for a machine until it was loaded in my vehicle and pay the person just before leaving.

Interesting.

I would never let a buyer put the game in their car before getting paid (except maybe if I already knew them). Game is paid for before it’s disassembled or moved from the inspection spot.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I would never let a buyer put the game in their car before getting paid (except maybe if I already knew them). Game is paid for before it’s disassembled or moved from the inspection spot.

I had a repeat buyer that was not planning on buying anything, he was just here to take some pictures of a pin I was about to put on here.

He decided he wanted one of my games, and since he was in his car we loaded it on my truck and I hauled it to his house. I was paid at his house.

I donated to Pinside even though I did not sell here, because I met the guy here in the past.

(and a gun was in my truck the whole time in case I were to break down. There are some areas here now that are almost 3rd world. If your area is still awesome I am very happy for you).

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

You need a better dictionary, numbnut.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

America is a nation of cowards hiding behind a thin veil of 'freedom' and 'preparedness' and we're watching our country burn with no end in sight. A gun in your pocket is not going to change that.

Sorry, but I have had a couple close encounters with Grizzly bears, and every time I wad glad I had my gun. One time I had the whole family with me. Things can and do happen. Riots, carjackings, road rager with a gun.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

Nope, that’s the definition of improbable.

You’ve got your words mixed up.

#109 3 years ago

I would never dream of buying, let alone carrying, a leathal weapon to a friendly transaction. But I am Canadian! Like the Swede who posted earlier, there is just no way this would cross our minds. It's a pretty niche hobby. When someone can answer questions like "how's the backglass?", they're probably a legitimate seller. So I wholeheartedly side with the non-gun crowd here, especially the older gentleman who posted earlier.

Talk of guns reminds me that, aside from having two official languages and universal healthcare, there is another big difference between the culture of our two countries.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from wtuttle:

I would never dream of buying, let alone carrying, a leathal weapon to a friendly transaction. But I am Canadian! Like the Swede who posted earlier, there is just no way this would cross our minds. It's a pretty niche hobby. When someone can answer questions like "how's the backglass?", they're probably a legitimate seller. So I wholeheartedly side with the non-gun crowd here, especially the older gentleman who posted earlier.
    Talk of guns reminds me that, aside from having two official languages and universal healthcare, there is another big difference between the culture of our two countries.

You summed up my feelings almost perfectly, this thread has been a real eyeopener, I thought it was going to be about deals getting snatched out from under you, not about carrying guns to pick up a pinball!

#111 3 years ago

Where are you guys buying machines from?
    All the games I have picked up from peoples houses are in normal suburban areas, not dark alleys where the cops wont even go

#112 3 years ago

Games I bought back in the day were always from seedy ops in some type of storage area...home use wasn’t common

Nowadays sellers of games have soft lotioned hands and smell really good so no worries there

As far as guns, all I can say is be careful ...this state will prosecute you for shooting an intruder in your home so they sure as hell will nail you for shooting a gun in public regardless of the situation...and remember, you are liable for every round out of that barrel and what damage or harm it may cause...court case, lawyer fees, plea bargain from the DA will certainly exceed what’s in your pocket

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

I'm sure you have no car and health insurance as well as discarded those pesky fire extinguishers in your kitchen.

On one hand you state were not a 3rd world nation, on the other you state the country is burning.

Which is it? There is nothing wrong with taking prudent steps to tilt the odds in your favor should unfortunate events come your way.

Am I paranoid and fearful owning a generator? Nope, i use that sucker at least once a year when a storm takes the power out.

Where there is cash, there is crooks.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from wtuttle:

Yep - Some of us understand Freedom and others, well others are happy with servitude.

#115 3 years ago

I have never done a pinball deal without getting information via phone conversations, snooping online and google street view. I never felt the need to carry a gun to transactions until a recent event. I drove an hour to look at some pins in a very remote country setting. I had spoken with the guy on the phone and sounded to know his stuff, but still a little fishy. On the other hand he had some good EM titles for sale and I am a sucker for a good EM. When I got there, the fat ugly guy who owned the pins looked even more creepy than the killer in Silence of the Lambs. Not to mention he wasn't technically a guy any more; he had on make-up, a low cut dress and huge fake tits. His place was remote enough that no one could hear you scream and looked like something from a slasher movie. I looked at the pins but never turned my back to him and was looking over my shoulder and expecting to get hit with a pipe and get gagged and tied over a pummel horse at any moment. I'm not a small guy and I gave no chance for him to blindside me. As I eventually drove away without buying any pins (they were way overpriced), I thought to myself that I might need to start carrying a gun in the truck that I can grab before heading inside if things look fishy. I have a perfect .380 that fits neatly in my pocket and you would never know it was there.

#116 3 years ago

Cash isn’t all that I bring

Just saying

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I thought to myself that I might need to start carrying a gun in the truck that I can grab before heading inside if things look fishy. I have a perfect .380 that fits neatly in my pocket and you would never know it was there.

If you live in Cocoa you probably didn’t have to look too far to find one.

#118 3 years ago

If any buyer ever shows up to my place with a gun. They’re gonna be asked to leave. Keep your cash!

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

If any buyer ever shows up to my place with a gun. They’re gonna be asked to leave. Keep your cash!

Prudent gun owners don't advertise, no doubt you walk by scores of them in your travels and none the wiser.

#120 3 years ago

Actually, my area is quite safe since it is assumed that everyone back here owns a gun. Never had a use for one and they’re not welcome on my property. My preference. That’s all I’m saying.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Actually, my area is quite safe since it is assumed that everyone back here owns a gun.

Mine too, but because noone has one

@OP, always cash on the glass, never had any problems

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Actually, my area is quite safe since it is assumed that everyone back here owns a gun. Never had a use for one and they’re not welcome on my property. My preference. That’s all I’m saying.

Nothing wrong with having that opinion, but I would not advertise it. The wrong person sees an unarmed home as a target. Granted you are probably safe posting it here, but I would certainly not tell too many people.
    I know we have gotten way off topic, but responsible gun owners are not your threat. Everyone I know hopes they never have to pull it out. If you have to use it, it would be a terrible day that you would have to live with for the rest of your life so there is a huge responsibility in carrying. Luckily I only had to show my gun one time on people years ago. With a preagnant wife and party of drugged up goons coming down to start trouble at my door, I only had to show that it was in my waistband and they stopped like they hit a wall. Thank God I did not have to use, but thank God I had it.

#123 3 years ago

I’m so glad that I live in Canada after reading this thread.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Games I bought back in the day were always from seedy ops in some type of storage area...home use wasn’t common

I too used to buy from places like this. Late night storage unit meetings, abandoned buildings in the middle of nowhere that the op stashed all his dead games, dimly lit warhorses with not another person around. Wouldn’t do it now unless I researched the person.

#125 3 years ago

Always bring a friend & 45

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I can't imagine living in Canada. Glad you're happy with it.

#127 3 years ago

One of my most memorable trips was driving across Canada. Tent camped the whole way. Beautiful. Learned the correct pronunciation of Regina and that city called Moose Jaw. Calgary was such a clean city. I could live there.

#128 3 years ago

Yes, back in the day, I have shown up with as much as $8K to a person's house.

I would never do that today.

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I can't imagine living in Canada. Glad you're happy with it.

I’ve never once in my life been worried with thousands in my pocket, and certainly never thought “what if the other gut has a gun” or “what if they try to rob me”

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer to not live in fear.

#130 3 years ago

I’ve never once in my life been worried with thousands in my pocket, and certainly never thought “what if the other gut has a gun” or “what if they try to rob me”

#131 3 years ago

So I did what may have been my sketchiest deal to date over the weekend. I had a want ad on Facebook looking for a particular pinball machine. I was contacted by ‘A’ letting me know he had a friend ‘B’ who owned the machine I was looking for, and it was in his bar a couple of towns over. So far not so sketchy...

Then A tells me B is out of state (red flag #1) and he will have his assistant open the bar so I can see the machine (Red Flag #2) It seems the bar has been closed due to Covid for the past few months. So at this point I’m ready to bail on the deal, except A and I start talking via text. It became very obvious he knew pinball, and we knew some of the same people in the California scene.

So I decided to go through with the deal. I let my wife know where I was going, and I took my teenaged son with me.

We got to the bar at the appointed time, and man the area was seedy. Behind the building was a homeless camp and the place looked like it has steel doors on it. A was there when I arrived and we talked a while waiting on the assistant. She showed up and let us in. The machine was what I was looking for, and I bought it. While we were looking at the machine other bar employees filtered in, (weird since the place was supposed to be closed), but they didn’t pay us any attention.

I kept the cash locked in the truck until I knew I was going to buy the machine. Once I was satisfied with the machine my son got the money and gave it to the assistant. A helped me load the machine and I then helped A load another machine he was taking home to work on into his truck. Roughly 4 hours later we were home. So while the deal looked sketchy on the surface, it turned out fine.

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Roughly 4 hours later we were home. So while the deal looked sketchy on the surface, it turned out fine.

Until out of town B comes back to his bar to find his game missing

#133 3 years ago

And it was C's machine and route.

#134 3 years ago

Sure there are people out there that are trying to ruin your day. But the VAST MAJORITY of people are decent.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

So I did what may have been my sketchiest deal to date over the weekend. I had a want ad on Facebook looking for a particular pinball machine. I was contacted by ‘A’ letting me know he had a friend ‘B’ who owned the machine I was looking for, and it was in his bar a couple of towns over. So far not so sketchy...
    Then A tells me B is out of state (red flag #1) and he will have his assistant open the bar so I can see the machine (Red Flag #2) It seems the bar has been closed due to Covid for the past few months. So at this point I’m ready to bail on the deal, except A and I start talking via text. It became very obvious he knew pinball, and we knew some of the same people in the California scene.
    So I decided to go through with the deal. I let my wife know where I was going, and I took my teenaged son with me.
    We got to the bar at the appointed time, and man the area was seedy. Behind the building was a homeless camp and the place looked like it has steel doors on it. A was there when I arrived and we talked a while waiting on the assistant. She showed up and let us in. The machine was what I was looking for, and I bought it. While we were looking at the machine other bar employees filtered in, (weird since the place was supposed to be closed), but they didn’t pay us any attention.
    I kept the cash locked in the truck until I knew I was going to buy the machine. Once I was satisfied with the machine my son got the money and gave it to the assistant. A helped me load the machine and I then helped A load another machine he was taking home to work on into his truck. Roughly 4 hours later we were home. So while the deal looked sketchy on the surface, it turned out fine.

Meanwhile C was watching everything through a secret peephole

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

Until out of town B comes back to his bar to find his game missing

I heard the assistant refer to B several times, and I think she called him at least once while we were there. I think the deal while weird on the surface was on the level.

#137 3 years ago

Because you're not a coward like some of the people in this thread.

#138 3 years ago

My last deal I drove to Newport Beach area and bought an expensive pin. I think I lit a joint up while he was counting money or as I was leaving. Not exactly the same amount of stress some go through. Turned out he was was a buddy of Odin, who I met later that year. Some pretty cool guys around here. No guns or stress. I've only met fellow pinsiders for each of my pins. And never had a problem of any kind. But I always did a little research first.

#139 3 years ago

Funny story, I once picked up a machine that was packing heat, didn't do a good job of defending itself though. Gun was wedged in between some wires inside the cab. Was an honest mistake by the seller and it wasn't loaded, not sure how we didnt hear it packing it up. Still cleaned my prints off it and wrapped it up just in case

#140 3 years ago

I carry a non lethal air pistol similar to a paintball gun but it shoots a ball with a tear gas/pepper spray mix. If need be you can shoot them in the back after they rob you and your not going to go to jail for murder.you actually only need to be within 15 feet to be effective. Obviously your best choice may be to just let them go depending on your ability to take cover or the amount of perpetrators and weapons but its better than nothing and an option for those that couldn't and don't want to live with ending someone's life.

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Meanwhile C was watching everything through a secret peephole

C as in ceiling cat? (That’s an old meme)

#142 3 years ago

Sure there are people out there that are trying to ruin your day. But the VAST MAJORITY of people are decent.

Yes people are good in general but they aren’t often talked about as much as they don’t make for the best news stories.

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Because you're not a coward like some of the people in this thread.

Why do you resort to name calling whem someone has a different opinion than you? It only shows immaturity.

#144 3 years ago

I could say someone is a coward for not taking the responsibility to carry. You may be put in a situation that you need to decide to risk your life to save someone or just be a coward and run. But I won't, because it is a personal choice. You do like personal choice, do you not?

#145 3 years ago

I would take nothing less than cash for my machines, Or would I show up buying one without it, that is just a waste of everyone's time...My phone # doesn't match my area code (long story) and most people thing I am a scam or something, and sometimes they show up to see everything, but at the end of the day, diddnt bring any money...Personally I don't really care if I sell a machine, just giving them the opertunity to have a title they may have a really hard time finding (and sometimes making floor space, I got ALOT of machines).

#146 3 years ago

I've always carried a dart blowgun. But the new 2020 models are all 3' or longer fuck all their customers I guess. I'll keep carryin my foot long in my trousers thanks.

#147 3 years ago

How they look at a pin in TX.

gn (resized).jpggn (resized).jpg
    #148 3 years ago

I wish I could find the thread, but someone on pinside wrote up the craziest story I have ever read....middle of nowhere. guy was on drugs...he explains his fear and the adventure over two or so pages. Leaves his tools behind and has to back to get them... I thinkk he grabbed a STNg. It is a must read..... someone please link if you know what I am talking about. I’ll keep looking

#150 3 years ago
    E7DFCE67-5A12-4080-B13B-C2C9689723EF (resized).pngE7DFCE67-5A12-4080-B13B-C2C9689723EF (resized).png
    There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cash-on-the-glass-you-travel-to-unknowns-with-that-kind-of-money/page/3?hl=supergrafx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.