(Topic ID: 275672)

"Cash on the glass" - you travel to unknowns with that kind of money?

By lancestorm

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 188 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by sbmania
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Joke (resized).jpg
    E7DFCE67-5A12-4080-B13B-C2C9689723EF (resized).png
    gn (resized).jpg
    FF6217FA-99CD-410A-A91F-8B9EB9DC4856 (resized).jpeg
    13A51855-43C9-4A42-9385-AA66B8BCFAA0 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    B1631DE4-99FF-4257-93B5-E7DCD8088A5A (resized).jpeg
    6C949336-A2CC-4C2B-AC78-215B83B04816 (resized).jpeg
    F9C0283D-A925-444F-A9D8-589F784AF835 (resized).jpeg
    B6C1A361-2F50-4890-A286-67D0779F9060 (resized).jpeg
    119 (resized).jpg
    tenor (9).gif
    There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Have any pinsiders been robbed or had close calls or things get sour on a deal? I can see that might happen in an arranged meeting place. But it’d be pretty ballsy to go to someone’s house and they tried something. (If it’s really even their place I guess)

A pair of guys were stuck up to the tune of around $19k in Albany recently. Kaneda had a interview with the guys before the show went off the air. The person who did the rip set them up for the long con, by completing a deal previously with the same buyers as a set up to the big loss.

#52 3 years ago

This may sound classist but I dont really care. I've google maps street viewed the address at each of my pickups. Each time, its been a really nice house that put me at ease. Can't tell you what I'd do if it looked sketchy though.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

A pair of guys were stuck up to the tune of around $19k in Albany recently. Kaneda had a interview with the guys before the show went off the air. The person who did the rip set them up for the long con, by completing a deal previously with the same buyers as a set up to the big loss.

Damn!

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jeffswack:

This may sound classist but I dont really care. I've google maps street viewed the address at each of my pickups. Each time, its been a really nice house that put me at ease. Can't tell you what I'd do if it looked sketchy though.

It really doesn’t hurt to do that. I’ve done it.

Also if you have pics beforehand you can usually get an idea of what you are dealing with. If there is an eBay watermark you know something’s up.

If they ask if you’d like to see pictures of the transmission you know it’s the scammers who hang out on Mr. Pinball

#55 3 years ago

In AK you don't need a permit to conceal carry. The only time I open carry is when I carry the .44 mag, but that is for bear protection. The main point of carrying concealed is no one sees that I have a gun. Even shorts and a tshirt hide my 1911.

#56 3 years ago

It has been said before:

A good guy with a gun is a very good thing, because if you need help right this minute the cops may be 20 minutes away.

(I do have a story from 30 years ago that I am very glad I had a gun handy).

#57 3 years ago

Email money transfer or bank draft for me. Noone seems to care so far.

#59 3 years ago

I've bought several pins off Craigslist from strangers. I always speak to the seller. You can probably get an idea of the risk factor just from their voice. I get photos of the pin. You can usually see the 'status' of the surrounding area. That also can give you an indication of potential risk. And before leaving, I do a mapquest and get photos of the place I'm going to from google earth. I leave the cash in the truck until the deal is made. I also conceal carry with permit. Finally, if I were to drive up to the place and it just didn't 'look right', I'd just turn around and leave.
    So, I think it's a small risk as long as you are smart about it.

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I just don't understand this business about bringing a gun. So, let me understand how this scenario would work: You go with $5,000 and a gun, presumably concealed. The person then pulls a gun on you and tries to rob you. You now have a choice of (a) giving the money and walking away, or (b) doing a fast draw and pulling out your gun? Is that right, or am I missing something? And, then if you choose option (b), it seems to me that you have a decent chance of getting shot yourself. Other possibilities are shooting the other person -- not ideal -- or having the other person back-off -- seemingly unlikely at this point when two guns are out. I'm seriously just trying to understand it because there have been a number of threads now where people talk about bringing a gun to a pinball purchase. It really doesn't seem worth it to me. It sucks to be robbed, but it sucks worse to have your life end or end someone else's.

or robbed and killed!

#61 3 years ago

I hate the Facebook classifieds, but it does provide a really good way to judge a person by looking at their profile. There have been many times both buying and selling I could tell right away it wasn't worth the hassle. Have I dismissed good deals or buyers that were likely fine? Probably, but I don't care. I deal almost exclusively in cash, and typically will have a handgun. I try to deal with known local people as much as I can, even if it costs a little more. I have foolishly chased Craigslist deals in the past to save a few hundred bucks. I've never had any issues at all, most have been memorable adventures. Given the current state of affairs, and the fact I can afford the extra $$ for piece of mind, I don't see myself entering any risky situations any time soon. I prefer to leave the guns at home. Hey! It's only pinball!

#62 3 years ago

I used to play poker semi-professionally and regularly carried more cash than most pins cost. Not at all a brag, it’s just the tool of the trade. Makes you pretty numb to the novelty/fear of carrying cash. Pinball transactions feel very routine.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I always think of the funny scenario of getting pulled over carrying a gun and that much money.
    Cop: “Sir can you explain why you have over 10k cash and a gun on your person?”
    Me: Well funny enough I’m on my way to buy 2 pinball machines
    Cop: “And you need 10k for that? Aren’t pinball machines like 2 or 3 hundred bucks?!!!”
    Edit follow up response:
    Me: “ha well some of the older used ones maybe but newer ones get up there”
    Cop: “newer ones?!! They still make pinball machines???
    Look why don’t you tell me what you’re really doing son?”

Think I Read or heard a story of almost exactly this happening when a Canadian had to drive over the border to pick up a pin.

Anyone remember the interview on Kaneda’s podcast with a guy that got held up responding to a scam sale on Craigslist it somewhere? Lost a few thousand dollars.

#64 3 years ago

Gotta carry weapons cause you always carry cash smugglers blues lol, probably just dated myself with that

#65 3 years ago

38 special is the flavor of the day

#66 3 years ago

In our local news the last 10 years I have heard of one Craigslist deal that was a car and there was a robbery(may have been a murder also?)

In the last 10 years on the local news I have seen maybe 20 stories about Craigslist and 500.00 sneakers, or a X-box, and robbery and murder.

I have never seen a news story of anyone getting robbed when buying a pin, but I have 100% seen many stories about 500.00 shoes.

For your own safety, please stay away from the shoe ads on Craigslist.

#67 3 years ago

One should take training both use firearms and use of force laws if deciding to carry . Not to ding to expierenced user . News reports lots first time firearm owners in the USA . Training should not be limited to action shows seen on TV .

Be safe Shane

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I used to play poker semi-professionally and regularly carried more cash than most pins cost. Not at all a brag, it’s just the tool of the trade. Makes you pretty numb to the novelty/fear of carrying cash. Pinball transactions feel very routine.

I am the same way. Over the years I have made plenty of "cash deals" in the tens of thousands of dollars and never really worried about it. Like anything else if you are used to doing something you worry a lot less about doing it. For years it would drive my wife crazy when we were headed to pick something up and had $10k or $20k in hundreds along with us. I have been dealing in cash for over 50 years and to me it is just a pile of paper.

That being said you don't wave it around, you don't leave it laying on the front seat of your vehicle, etc. I have never carried a gun because I doubt I could shoot anyone - I am just not that kind of a guy. I know it is a huge risk not carrying but I also know there is no point in carrying unless you are willing to pull the trigger. There have been times I was a little concerned and I have actually driven to peoples houses and driven home without even stopping but if you follow your gut feeling typically you will be OK in the end.

Now that I am getting older I am kind of glad those days are more or less behind me. I just don't know if I could bring myself to carry some of the huge amounts of cash I have handled over the years. Under $10k doesn't worry me all that much but once I get over that it starts to freak me out a little these days.

Google Maps is your friend, do a little homework on the area you are heading to also helps, get a feel for the seller, follow your instincts, and proceed with caution and typically everything will end up fine. But in the end if necessary just give up the cash instead of ending up dead if that is what is necessary. Cash can be replaced but once you are dead it is over. And remember having a gun is pointless unless you are willing to use it.

#69 3 years ago

I've usually emailed, texted and talked several times to whoever I plan on handing over a large sum of money to, and consider myself a good enough judge to determine whether or not someone is bullshitting me.

#70 3 years ago

I only purchase from home owners and advertise locally Cash Paid for Pinballs. They know I'm coming with cash. Most would not take a check or paypal. I research the seller as much as possible, always leave the sellers contact number, name and address with my wife. Hide the cash in my vehicle. Never paid for a machine until it was loaded in my vehicle and pay the person just before leaving. Always call my wife as soon as I hit the road. Several hundred purchases and never had an issue.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I heard that episode too, and I vaguely recall it was multi-pin purchase - I think around the $20K mark. I recall the police telling the buyer he should have given them a call and they would have been there to monitor the transaction. Not sure if the police have time for that nowadays or how long it would take for them to show up, especially in a big city but I could see that happening in a rural community like mine.

#72 3 years ago

I keep all the money in a lubed zip lock bag in my rectum until I feel comfortable with the seller. Oddly most times I fail to close the purchase?? With that said, I see no value in dieing or killing someone over a pinball machine. If they are willing to Move from their home to steal a game and flee the country more power to you.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

A
    B
    C
    Always be closing

Always
    Be
    Carrying

Don't ever want to have to pull it out, but you are only as good as your options.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Did a lot of muscle car deals not long ago, it was nothing for 20k-50k cash to exchange hands without issue. Times be a bit more trying now so prudence is the word of the day. Take reasonable precautions and having a friend along who also carries limits the mischief.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

Americans and their guns. It just doesn't end.

Let's hope not!

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Surprised so many ppl pack or at least pretend too.

A lot of people are absolute cowards. They tend to live in fear and carry guns around the suburbs.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

A lot of people are absolute cowards. They tend to live in fear and carry guns around the suburbs.

Carrying makes you a coward??? I sense this thread is about to come off the rails.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Preparedness and Fear are not sides of the same coin.

If you want to be cavalier about your life and welfare, that is up to you.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Carrying makes you a coward??? I sense this thread is about to come off the rails.

Absolutely. Shows you're too scared to leave your house without feeling you need to defend yourself from something. It's the textbook definition of a wimp.

#80 3 years ago

I sure do miss the days when vid1900 would chime in on these threads.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Absolutely. Shows you're too scared to leave your house without feeling you need to defend yourself from something. It's the textbook definition of a wimp.

OK, studmuffin.

How about you travel out West and run interference with our local Grizzly Population for me?

Or, perhaps you would like to accompany me the next time I am in Newark, NJ making a run to the scrap yard? You can stand out in the street while we unload and get paid.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

OK, studmuffin.
    How about you travel out West and run interference with our local Grizzly Population for me?
    Or, perhaps you would like to accompany me the next time I am in Newark, NJ making a run to the scrap yard? You can stand out in the street while we unload and get paid.

I mean too his point he did say carrying in the suburbs.

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I mean too his point he did say carrying in the suburbs.

The Suburbs (out here) have bears, too.

Criminals also. Of all types.

Like I said, be prepared or be unprepared. It is your choice.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

OK, studmuffin.

I wasn't arguing there is a need for guns in dangerous situations. I was referring to the cucks that carry to the grocery store. Thanks for the compliment.

#85 3 years ago

Of the 20 or so cash transactions I have only been robbed 4 times, over 75% success rate, Not bad.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I wasn't arguing there is a need for guns in dangerous situations. I was referring to the cucks that carry to the grocery store

Ah yes, because crime never happens close to the grocery store.

Man, you are one intelligent dude.

#87 3 years ago

Ok I had to look it up...
    Seems pretty common

B6C1A361-2F50-4890-A286-67D0779F9060 (resized).jpegB6C1A361-2F50-4890-A286-67D0779F9060 (resized).jpegF9C0283D-A925-444F-A9D8-589F784AF835 (resized).jpegF9C0283D-A925-444F-A9D8-589F784AF835 (resized).jpegB1631DE4-99FF-4257-93B5-E7DCD8088A5A (resized).jpegB1631DE4-99FF-4257-93B5-E7DCD8088A5A (resized).jpeg6C949336-A2CC-4C2B-AC78-215B83B04816 (resized).jpeg6C949336-A2CC-4C2B-AC78-215B83B04816 (resized).jpeg
    #88 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Well, I would feel negligent if something happened and I was not prepared to protect my wife and kids. If you want to call me a coward for protecting my family, that says more about you than me.

#89 3 years ago

Most criminals don't invite you to their home to rob you. That would be stupid even for a criminal. They are much more likely to give you the address of an abandoned house or want to meet in a somewhat out of the way place.

Quoted from Enaud:

I've bought several pins off Craigslist from strangers. I always speak to the seller. You can probably get an idea of the risk factor just from their voice. I get photos of the pin. You can usually see the 'status' of the surrounding area. That also can give you an indication of potential risk. And before leaving, I do a mapquest and get photos of the place I'm going to from google earth. I leave the cash in the truck until the deal is made. I also conceal carry with permit. Finally, if I were to drive up to the place and it just didn't 'look right', I'd just turn around and leave.
    So, I think it's a small risk as long as you are smart about it.

This is exactly right. Also, I always try to have a friend with me to help carry and watch my back. I've done it this way many times and have never encountered a problem.

As far as carrying concealed, as others have said, I really don't want to shoot someone over a few thousand dollars. I would just prefer to avoid the situation entirely. But in today's world there is absolutely no guarantee that a criminal will just rob you and go on his way. You are very likely to get shot or stabbed or beaten up for any number of reasons after they have taken your money. Wrong place at the wrong time, some perceived disrespect, a desire to silence witnesses, a mistake, the wrong type of clothing. Passivity is no guarantee of safety. If I were guaranteed that the absolute worst thing that could happen to me would be loss of some cash - that's one thing. But I am not prepared to allow someone to kill me without at least attempting to defend myself. Nothing in life is guaranteed. The best we can hope for in most things is to tip the odds a little more in our favor.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #90 3 years ago

Before this goes off the rails too much.
    I’m considering listing my TFLE.

Should I just assume anyone that comes over is going to be carrying a gun in my house in case I’m planning to rob them?

That’s kind of what I’m gathering. And if that’s the case should I have my gun strapped on me while I’m down in my basement with which either of you might come over and look at this machine?

Just to make it known I don’t plan on pulling any shenanigans so please don’t make things weird if you come over guys.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Most criminals don't invite you to their home to rob you. That would be stupid even for a criminal. They are much more likely to give you the address of an abandoned house or want to meet in a somewhat out of the way place.

This is exactly right. Also, I always try to have a friend with me to help carry and watch my back. I've done it this way many times and have never encountered a problem.
    As far as carrying concealed, as others have said, I really don't want to shoot someone over a few thousand dollars. I would just prefer to avoid the situation entirely. But in today's world there is absolutely no guarantee that a criminal will just rob you and go on his way. You are very likely to get shot or stabbed or beaten up for any number of reasons after they have taken your money. Wrong place at the wrong time, some perceived disrespect, a desire to silence witnesses, a mistake, the wrong type of clothing. Passivity is no guarantee of safety. If I were guaranteed that the absolute worst thing that could happen to me would be loss of some cash - that's one thing. But I am not prepared to allow someone to kill me without at least attempting to defend myself. Nothing in life is guaranteed. The best we can hope for in most things is to tip the odds a little more in our favor. [quoted image]

Exactly. If it is just money or things, you don't risk your life for it. If you are in danger, you protect yourself.

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Before this goes off the rails too much.
    I’m considering listing my TFLE.
    Should I just assume anyone that comes over is going to be carrying a gun in my house in case I’m planning to rob them?
    That’s kind of what I’m gathering. And if that’s the case should I have my gun strapped on me while I’m down in my basement with which either of you might come over and look at this machine?
    Just to make it known I don’t plan on pulling any shenanigans so please don’t make things weird if you come over guys.

I'd just recommend you vet anyone coming into your house until you feel comfortable letting them in. Wouldn't hurt to have someone else hanging around with you and a weapon handy can't hurt either as long as you're comfortable using it if necessary. If dealing with a known pinsider I don't worry one bit though.

#93 3 years ago

Agreed

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Funny how cash on the glass turned into gun haters vs us who know better

Not sure who you're calling a gun hater. I love guns and own a bunch of them. I'm calling out dudes that don't have enough testicular fortitude to carry around a few k I'm their pocket without a gun cowards.

#95 3 years ago

I did a cash deal. No fault of buyer but one of the $100 Bills were counterfeit. Bank and I went over this bill top to bottom. Look and felt as real as it gets. Only thing different was Hologram of BF had a smirk

Advice is get the marker and check the bills.

13A51855-43C9-4A42-9385-AA66B8BCFAA0 (resized).jpeg13A51855-43C9-4A42-9385-AA66B8BCFAA0 (resized).jpeg
    #96 3 years ago

Wow! That looks like a pretty good counterfeit. Surprised the buyer and seller even picked up on it. Even so, I still trust cash that I can hold in my hand and look at a whole lot more than some electronic transfer that can be reversed just as quickly as it can be credited. And cash works whether the wifi is up or down, power is on or off, or you do or don't have cell service! I know a whole lot more about a stack of bills in my hand than a bunch of electronic digits on some server somewhere that I have no control over.

#97 3 years ago

The Bank actually picked up on it. Those dam money counters spit it out. Teller then put it under some sort of UV checker and it did not "glow" like it is supposed to.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Not sure who you're calling a gun hater. I love guns and own a bunch of them. I'm calling out dudes that don't have enough testicular fortitude to carry around a few k I'm their pocket without a gun cowards.[quoted image]

Wow, you look terrible

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Albany is like a half hour from me and many other big collectors up in New York. It’s kinda wild someone setup such an elaborate scam still. But I mean it is the capitol of NY so I could make a lot of jokes about criminals and such...

I’d like to listen to that and hear how it went down. There’s gotta be some evidence or clues that lead back to the thief in that case. There’s no way they were held up by some ghost who can wipeout their trail like a Hollywood movie!

Quoted from PBMAN:

I did a cash deal. No fault of buyer but one of the $100 Bills were counterfeit. Bank and I went over this bill top to bottom. Look and felt as real as it gets. Only thing different was Hologram of BF had a smirk
    Advice is get the marker and check the bills.
    [quoted image]

That’s too funny, making him smirk like “ha gotcha!” Ballsy

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from ibuypinballs:

Never paid for a machine until it was loaded in my vehicle and pay the person just before leaving.

I have always exchanged money on the glass of the machine prior to breaking it down. Seems standard to me. I don't think I would let you put my machine in your vehicle. Once you pay for it it is your machine and it can go in your vehicle. Am I off base here?

There are 188 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cash-on-the-glass-you-travel-to-unknowns-with-that-kind-of-money/page/2?hl=jeffswack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.