New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 252083)

Cash, Credit, or Trade?

By AFM95

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PW79
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“When obtaining a pin, how are you typically financing it?”

• Cash 116 votes
      83%
    • Credit Card 6 votes
      4%
    • Trade 2 votes
      1%
    • Trade +/- Cash 15 votes
      11%

(139 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3bkuum (resized).jpg
    sign (resized).jpg
    4a78ccc9830e45428fd00ebfd1dbb0e0 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

With an array of collections in this hobby, and how expensive pins can be, I am curious how you obtain your pins?

Do you typically pay in cash, use a credit card to gain points and protection, or trade a game out of your lineup?

#2 1 year ago

I pay cash for an older game rather than finance something newer.

#3 1 year ago

Cash on the glass always

#4 1 year ago

Typically cash, but have traded +/- cash in the past.

#5 1 year ago

Cash. I don't buy anything with credit. If I can't pay cash for something, I don't buy it. The only exception in my life is the house.

#6 1 year ago

I either trade or cash.

#7 1 year ago

Cash, but I only buy older pins.

#8 1 year ago

I think it really depends on your goals and objectives. For example, I have 2 pins in my collection with my eye on a third. To get started, I obviously paid cash for what I have. I have pins I really like, and plan on keeping them for a long period of time. Others want to build a modest collection, but like trading games out. When this is the case, I assume they pay cash to get the collection started, maybe a 1 for 2 trade with a nicer pin to get two not as expensive ones. However, once a collection is established I know that many trade out pins for equivalent others with little to no cash involved.

I'm sure it also helps to get acquainted with your local pinball community so that guys can trade out games more regularly with other local owners.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan:

Cash. I don't buy anything with credit. If I can't pay cash for something, I don't buy it. The only exception in my life is the house.

I've lived my entire life this way and just recently started using a credit card for everyday purchases (cash for pins). Put all day to day purchases on the card, pay it off every 2 weeks and get cash back in the process.

#10 1 year ago

Cash and trade, but a lot of the value to get the current games were made by trading and then selling off the trades.

PM - cash
    MC - cash
    AMH - cash
    RZ LE - trade
    Transporter - trade
    Alien - trade
    Radical - trade
    USA football - trade
    eatpm - trade and currently spoken for in another trade

#11 1 year ago

I misappropriated money from The Human Fund to finance each of my machines.

#12 1 year ago

I'm still waiting for the comment, "Why doesn't your poll have a 'steal' option?" Has anyone on here ever had a pin stolen from them?

#13 1 year ago

A couple of years ago I paid $4500 for TWD Pro. After awhile I traded it with a guy on here for a Star Trek Pro. About 6 months later I traded ST with a guy for a Ghostbusters. Sold that for money I used for XMen LE which I traded for an Iron Man. Trading is awesome. I got to experience 5 huo games and cash only changed hands twice. Half the time they came to my house to trade the game so limited travel as well.

Trades often don't work out but that's life. I have found it's easier than buying/selling, especially if you're dealing with someone who's done it before.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Trading is awesome. I got to experience 5 huo games and cash only changed hands twice.

From your comment, friends that I know who trade often, and ads that I see in the marketplace marked as accepting trades; I'm surprised to see this poll only at 12% for "Trades +/- cash."

Maybe everyone is busy trying to make a deal rather than responding to this poll?

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I misappropriated money from The Human Fund to finance each of my machines.

Hilarious! Happy Festivus, Koko.

#16 1 year ago

I pay cash, but I will accept cash, trade, and even credit cards from people I like/trust.

#17 1 year ago

Does it count as a trade or cash if I sell a game to buy a game?

I would be interested in trading more, just to experience more games at home. Seems like it’s hard to find trades that work for both parties though so usually I sell when I want to get a new game.

#18 1 year ago

1 - Trade
    Others - Cash

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

Does it count as a trade or cash if I sell a game to buy a game?
    I would be interested in trading more, just to experience more games at home. Seems like it’s hard to find trades that work for both parties though so usually I sell when I want to get a new game.

The thing with trading is it works best if you are open minded about what you are getting or you offer a lot of people.

My latest round. Bought a lah that had been in a fire and had the boards stripped. Got boards from a friend. Sold the game to another friend and used the funds to buy a ripley's with moisture problems. Dealt with the moisture, but didn't fix the game and offered it for trade. Best offer was an eatpm straight up, but had to drive 3 hours each way to get it. Swap the displays in eatpm due to issues and offer it up for trade something like 10 times. Get a hit on the current trade.

Persistence is key and knowing when a trade is fair or in your favor. Get offered a lot of bad trades where I'd lose my shirt and just gotta walk away. I'd say for every dozen trades I discuss one happens. It does allow you to get stuff you'd never otherwise be able to just buy though. Previous one before that was trading my houdini for a transporter. Not a game you can just buy and tradewise it was even minus a display issue I had to fix, but I got a game delivered to me that you could spend months looking for.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from dung:

Get offered a lot of bad trades where I'd lose my shirt and just gotta walk away.

Sounds like fantasy football. When someone tries to trade you three average to above average players for Patrick Mahomes - while trying to tell you how much potential those players have.

#21 1 year ago

I really don't count purchasing with a credit card financing if the card is paid immediately as many have said here. Get cashback, miles, ... for free essentially. But the caveat is that these distributors aren't going to take the hit on the fees so they will charge you more to use a credit card. There goes the free cashback and miles. You pay for it in the end.

So my rule of thumb is use credit card and pay off immediately (end of the cycle) on anything that is going to cost me the same cash or credit. Use cash to buy anything that I will get cheaper with greenbacks. And it has to be cheaper with the cashback or miles factored in. Hope that made sense.

One more thing, with the crap quality of games being shipped today, I would buy with credit card regardless of final cost factor. You get a turd and you don't like it, send it back and get your money back. That is only happening with the best credit card companies.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from dung:

Get offered a lot of bad trades

Reminds me years back when a guy was selling a Capcom Kingpin, around $20K as I recall. Somebody offered him a Demolition Man ( worth about $1K then ) and a thousand bucks.

Some bad trades can be really BAD.

LTG : )

#23 1 year ago

Cash on the glass , cash is King.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

From your comment, friends that I know who trade often, and ads that I see in the marketplace marked as accepting trades; I'm surprised to see this poll only at 12% for "Trades +/- cash."
    Maybe everyone is busy trying to make a deal rather than responding to this poll?

Cash is overwhelmingly the most popular (even for me) but find a group to consistently trade with and you can enjoy way more titles. Find someone that is going to scrutinize and ask for a million pictures/explanations while doing an exhaustive cost analysis and it can be a real drag. Most trades don't work out.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Reminds me years back when a guy was selling a Capcom Kingpin, around $20K as I recall. Somebody offered him a Demolition Man ( worth about $1K then ) and a thousand bucks.

Oh they can be, but sometimes people will offer up. Before the recent round of lebowski's came out I was seriously sitting down trying to figure out what games I'd offer to trade someone should one get posted. Would have taken a good chunk of my collection, but was seriously considering 15k worth of hard to get games to let go of.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Was that your Demolition Man ltg?

#27 1 year ago

Cash money. Probably won't be around much longer though. The gov't thinks anyone who still uses is a criminal. I don't agree. Plus, you don't finance toys.

#28 1 year ago

No. I knew the seller. He let me know some of the offers he was getting.

My Demolition Man was way worth more than that. He'd have to give me his Capcom Kingpin, and a thousand bucks.

#29 1 year ago

Trade only ever worked out once, so all my other games are cash on the glass.

#30 1 year ago

Cash like the other 200 threads asking us.

#31 1 year ago
    4a78ccc9830e45428fd00ebfd1dbb0e0 (resized).jpg
    #32 1 year ago

With a nod to the Wu Tang Clan, “Cash rules everything around me”

#33 1 year ago

I prefer trades + or - cash, I’m able to kill 2 birds with one stone that way! Btw I have a Mr and Mrs Pac-Man listed in the market for trade + or - cash!!!

#34 1 year ago

All cash so far.

#35 1 year ago

As most answers in the government: it depends.

Cash is by far the way I do things 95% of the time; however, once in a while a trade has worked itself out pretty well.

I have used my credit card two times. First time was to pay it off right away for rewards. The other was knowing a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure was about to seriously wreck my credit, so I charged a game on my CC to begin paying it off to help rebuild my credit. $212 due a month - and I pay $500 easily. Been doing it for almost a year now to show consistent, on-time payments. About to just pay $1000 a month and wipe it out.

So, in conclusion: it depends.

#36 1 year ago

Cash on the glass and 3 trades for me.

#37 1 year ago

Not on your list, but I've used a check to buy a couple, a cashier's check for a third, a credit card (PayPal) for one, and cash for one.

#38 1 year ago

If you still have a mortgage you didn’t really pay cash for that pinball machine.

If you’re 100% debt free except the house then just be aware the cash you have on hand is effectively rented @ the rate of your mortgage.

Your mortgage is a bond. A bond is a debt instrument. Your interest rate paid is their yield. “They” is not the bank, it’s the fed (sorta). So weird. We buy government bonds to diversify then we issue the government a bond, at a higher rate. Doh!

I usually trade clams & furs for my games. “Cause that’s how they get ya”

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I'm still waiting for the comment, "Why doesn't your poll have a 'steal' option?" Has anyone on here ever had a pin stolen from them?

A member here had a few pins stolen out of his house while he was out of town a few years ago or so. The thread is around here somewhere. Upside I think I recall he got them all back and intact.

#40 1 year ago

I only pay cash buying and would never use a credit card regardless of the perks. But it's always "on the glass", I've never bought one sight unseen and had it shipped. I also only accept cash and when I was selling a 4+K game buyer was scared of travelling with that much cash. I told him it's cash or no sale. You're welcome to play it for 30 minutes and then decide. After that, deal or no deal. He brought the cash and left with the game.

#41 1 year ago

Should be a vote for all of the above.
    A lot depends on where you are buying from and what you are buying.
    Used from private seller = cash and or trade.
    Used or new from a public dealer (not a back yard flipper) = cash, trade, credit or bank card.
    New from distributor = credit or bank card.

I've used all of them. Bought one game on a 0% interest for 12 month credit card and paid it off after 11 months. Bought another game on a CC with 6% interest. Took me two years to pay but the game is worth more now then original purchase with interest so it is what it is.
    All my other games were cash and one trade.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Not on your list, but I've used a check to buy a couple

I'm surprised the check cleared. I was driving through your town last week and saw this:
    sign (resized).jpg

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from PW79:

If you still have a mortgage you didn’t really pay cash for that pinball machine.
    If you’re 100% debt free except the house then just be aware the cash you have on hand is effectively rented @ the rate of your mortgage.
    Your mortgage is a bond. A bond is a debt instrument. Your interest rate paid is their yield. “They” is not the bank, it’s the fed (sorta). So weird. We buy government bonds to diversify then we issue the government a bond, at a higher rate. Doh!
    I usually trade clams & furs for my games. “Cause that’s how they get ya”

I do have a mortgage because the return on my investments is much higher than my interest rate. Makes more sense for me to make money than pay off the mortgage.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

A member here had a few pins stolen out of his house while he was out of town a few years ago or so. The thread is around here somewhere. Upside I think I recall he got them all back and intact.

I don't think this is the one you were referring to, but the comments are A+. Only on page two, but look forward to reading the other five pages.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pins-found-thanks-to-local-collectors-legal-advice-sought

#45 1 year ago

Use my card to get free points, win win. Who deals in cash anymore?

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Use my card to get free points, win win. Who deals in cash anymore?

Cash isn't documented. I deal in cash anymore.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I'm surprised the check cleared. I was driving through your town last week and saw this:
    [quoted image]

Nobody here was ever supposed to see that....

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan:

I do have a mortgage because the return on my investments is much higher than my interest rate. Makes more sense for me to make money than pay off the mortgage.

Oh, well you should finance everything then. Pinballs, toilet paper, everything. Why leave all that guarenteed money on the table? Refi cash out & leverage!

Investing includes diversification

Diversification includes bonds

Bonds = debt instruments

Your mortgage = bonds

The day your bond holding exceeds your mortgage balance you may change your thinking?

But I'm prolly gonna trade TWD towards JP then cash flow the rest. And Elvira. And TMNT. And Bill & Ted.

Shit. I'm in trouble!

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I'm prolly gonna trade TWD towards JP then cash flow the rest. And Elvira. And TMNT. And Bill & Ted.

3bkuum (resized).jpg
    #50 1 year ago

Man, that dude sorta resembles Gary

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 64.00
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 135.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 32.00
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside