Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Paulina_Porizkova.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Just finished listening to The Cars first album on vinyl...and was thinking their music would be great to play pinball to. They certainly don't make albums like that one any more. Less is more.

Maybe a pin with the Vargas backglass? Nahhh, but great music to be sure. I saw the Cars in LA in 1981. Their stage presence makes Jerry Garcia look like the Tasmanian Devil! Much Better band in your car or living room than live. Motels opened for them and blew the crowd away with their energy. Then the Cars came out and stood still for 90 minutes.

#2 10 years ago

Oh HELL no.

#3 10 years ago

Yeah, the were a great band. First album is one of the best debut albums- Ever! I don't think so on a pinball though.
    There is a saying back in the day that there are people who like Rock and people who like New Wave and everyone likes the Cars.
    Did you really want to see Ric Ocasek dance like Jagger on stage? His wife Paulina dance is another story.

#4 10 years ago

His wife Paulina dance is another story.

Hell yes

Paulina_Porizkova.jpgPaulina_Porizkova.jpg

#5 10 years ago

I remember the first album on 8 track.
    Holy crap I'm old!
    I think you could make a decent pin based on the Cars.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Motels opened for them and blew the crowd away with their energy. Then the Cars came out and stood still for 90 minutes.

I saw U2 open for the Cars back when "I Will Follow" was U2's biggest song and they were still very much a cult band. Same experience - U2 blew the crowd away. The Cars were sticks-in-the-mud. Great music, but didn't move at all.

As much as I love the Cars' music, I can't see having a pin based on it.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

First album is one of the best debut albums- Ever!

Second album wasn't half bad either.

#8 10 years ago

Shoo be Doo into Candy-O is hot. Great running tunes. And driving tunes. And that's the backglass right there.

#9 10 years ago

Love the cars music, and as others have said they do suck in concert. Saw them in chicago about 3 years ago when Ocasek was back with them. They did literally stand there and do nothing. I'm pretty certain that they even played their music about 20% slower than originally recording making it seem really, really bad. Probably the worst concert I've ever been too out of 20 or so.

That being said, as a pinball machine, great music for a pin and would have lots of driving cars in the theme. Think of getaway with cars or something like that wouldn't be bad. Put the song "drive" in there. Could have some type of magic trick for the song "magic" in one shot like TOM or pinball magic trick (make something new). An errant shot that falls back into the shooter lane could play "hello again" for a few seconds. Some kind of stereo mod would be great for a moving in stereo shot. My best friends girlfriend leaves some interesting ideas for a shot, song...
    The wake Benjamin Orr from the dead shot, again, probably not a good idea

Cool idea, not ever going to be made in this lifetime!!!

#10 10 years ago

Huge Cars fan here but ditto on on them sucking live. Saw them back in '81 and then again on the Heartburn City tour. I love 'em though and still jam on those early releases. Cars pin? Sorry but I just dont see it in the crystal pinball, although I agree on the Candy-O covershot. Have it hanging on my wall in the now playing slot. I spin the lp's.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Just finished listening to The Cars first album on vinyl

Bonus points for listening on vinyl!

#12 10 years ago

Great band, but I don't see it happening.

#13 10 years ago

Just got off the phone with Gary Stern, he said the next pin will be...

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Just got off the phone with Gary Stern, he said the next pin will be...» YouTube video

Another run of BBH???

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Another run of BBH???

Close, BBH-2 will be after Milli Vanilli, and then Bobby Brown after that.

#16 10 years ago

Pick up their last one --- MOVE LIKE THIS.

Great stuff. Obviously it's missing Ben - so it ain't perfect, but Rick can still write them.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Close, BBH-2 will be after Milli Vanilli, and then Bobby Brown after that.» YouTube video

Will there be any Whitney Houston modes on the Bobby Brown pin??

#18 10 years ago

I just stated this in another thread 2 days ago.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Will there be any Whitney Houston modes on the Bobby Brown pin??

Gary had no comment to any Whitney Houston modes, but he did comment that he thought everyone would like Humpin' Around Multi-Ball.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Gary had no comment to any Whitney Houston modes, but he did comment that he thought everyone would like Humpin' Around Multi-Ball.» YouTube video

That's too bad, I was going to preorder the premium with cocaine-white trim!!

#21 10 years ago

There could be a "shake it up" mode where the flippers are killed, the tilt bob is ignored, and you need to shake the pin vigorously. Perhaps a mini playfield where this is more appropriate. In either case, I'm not a cars fan. Won't want the pin.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cars-pinball-band-not-movie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.