New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 252303)

Carpal Tunnel Help anyone?

By Prodoshi

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Scarpacifico
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hey there,

I've had very mild carpal tunnel syndrom my whole life.
    I`m playing pinball for about 2 months now with no problems, but due to the new ghostbusters code and other wrist-stressful activities,
    it seems i have aggravated the issue. It started with a little tingling in my index finger, now i feel it in the first 3 fingers and hand already.

What i found so far: dont lean on the hands, try to keep a neutral wrist position to not compress the nerves.
    I dont think biker gloves would help since the nudging seems to not do any harm to my hands.
    I read that someone uses wrist braces with success, but he did not mentioned the model he uses.

I hope you have helpful tips for me, anything is welcome.
    I really enjoy this new hobby and it hurts to see my 5K $ machine with new code getting dusty

#2 1 year ago

If I play a LOT I notice some issues on occasion. I don’t think I have CT because I have caught myself leaning on a machine instead of standing at it. So I think my poor posture causes my issues. Correcting this goes a long way but I would be interested to see what others suggest and experience.

#3 1 year ago

quit jerkin it

#4 1 year ago

Have you seen a doctor and were diagnosed with it? I ask because I have RSI(repetitive stress/strain injury) and it affects me terribly if I do too much of anything with the hands(video games, pinball, golf, programming, fixing pins etc). Rest and moderation are by far the best thing for me. Take breaks. Stretch and be active. I also change hobbies and try to stick to one or two at a time. If it's summer I'm playing golf and not too much pinball and no video games. Sometimes weeks go by and I barely play my pins. Posture plays a role. Right now I'm trying to exercise and strengthen because that seems to help. I notice that after a round of golf I feel better the next day or two after the initial soreness has worn off. I think you are already on the right track. Good luck!

#5 1 year ago

I get the same issue from time to time from leaning on a standing desk at work and from playing too much pinball. I am going to guess you are taller (I'm 6'4") if your issue is aggravated playing pinball. If that's the issue, putting the pins on risers would be about the only effective solution. If you think it is partially due to your posture at work, try switching your mouse hand. You will find it really hard at first, but after a week or two you'll be fairly decent and should be able to move things back. Sorry and good luck.

#6 1 year ago

Nerve conduction studies can determine if you have CT. Injections don't really work so you might need surgery. Go to a hand surgeon, not a neurosurgeon. Neurosurgeons do the procedure about twice a year. Hand surgeons might do 20 a week. Surgery itself is pretty minor and recovery not too bad. If possible do endoscopic releases. Almost no pain and almost no recovery time.

#7 1 year ago

If you purchase wrist braces, try wearing them for sleeping only. Keeps your wrists straight so the blood flows and tendons also have a chance to become less inflamed. FYI, too many folks try wearing these during the day (while working) and it just aggravates their condition.

#8 1 year ago

thanks!
    no jerking is no option

Yes i got it diagnosted, but its minimal.
    I do not lean on the machine and i am a small person.
    RSI is no real diagnosis here in europe, i heard the are countries where this is not even known.
    People seem to develope RSI when they hear about it, a very psychological thing.
    But yes i have all kind of hand problems, but they differ from the tingling and numbness.
    Its more a tension/soreness issue when playing to much games or sitting on the computer etc. I use 2 computer mice L/R.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from klr650:

If you purchase wrist braces, try wearing them for sleeping only. Keeps your wrists straight so the blood flows and tendons also have a chance to become less inflamed. FYI, too many folks try wearing these during the day (while working) and it just aggravates their condition.

LOTS of people who have CT end up finding that they sleep in a way which aggravates it. This is great advice.

Also, you shouldn’t be putting any pressure on your wrists when you play - try just lightly touching the buttons with your fingertips instead of leaning any part of the hand or wrist on the machine. You’ll find you play better too

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LOTS of people who have CT end up finding that they sleep in a way which aggravates it. This is great advice.
    Also, you shouldn’t be putting any pressure on your wrists when you play - try just lightly touching the buttons with your fingertips instead of leaning any part of the hand or wrist on the machine. You’ll find you play better too

sorry i missed that braces post! thanks for pointing it out.

is this how you play? do you have any source where i can whatch you playing? how do you nudge and slide save (cheating ) then?

#11 1 year ago

I have had both wrists operated on for carpal tunnel syndrome. My symptoms started when I was bike riding at least fifteen miles when it first started. I thought it was due to the cold weather (it was in the 40's). My fingers would go completely numb. The hand surgeon said there is a sheath that runs through the wrist where the nerves are contained. This opening becomes constricted. The operation just opens the sheath up. I haven't had a problem in the past eight years. I, also, had the operation for "trigger finger".

#12 1 year ago

I was having issues with my hands way back when. I had to change my stance so I am in a sort of “Front stance” Where one leg is in front of the other with a slight bend at the knees. Now I no longer lean my hands on the pin.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LOTS of people who have CT end up finding that they sleep in a way which aggravates it.

This is a good point. Also, the wrist braces can be somewhat cumbersome during the day, so wearing the wrist braces at night while you sleep can be very effective (done routinely, at least for a little while).

#14 1 year ago

thank you all, i have a night wrist brace now and im working on my stance/grip.
    today it was i good day, i played much too long

1 month later
    #15 1 year ago

I used wrist braces at a pinball event recently because I had sprained my wrists a couple of weeks earlier. I think it helped once I got used to them. Since then my wrists are fine but I notice soreness if I play for too long. I'm thinking about experimenting with wearing the braces when I play pinball to see if I can learn to play as well with my wrists straight.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 12.75
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 41.00
    $ 219.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 999.00
    $ 7,299.00
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.50
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 999.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside