Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MrBally
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Any paint issues with Pure Carnuba?”

• No problems on Williams 6 votes
      30%
    • No problem on Bally 5 votes
      25%
    • No problem on Gottlieb 9 votes
      45%
    • Paint peeling on Williams 0 votes
    • Paint peeling on Bally 0 votes
    • Paint peeling on Gottlieb 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 20 votes by 10 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wax.JPG
    playboard.cleaning.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Is it safe to use pure non cleaner Carnuba wax on EM's? I know many use it but I heard from a reliable and experienced source that it will peel the paint off of Williams and Bally playfields.

Has anyone had any paint peeling or lifting issues because of it on there EM's on any brand?

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from jasonsmith:

paint peeling or lifting issues because of it on there EM's

Never heard of that

#3 10 years ago

Ive never had wax cause paint peeling.

Ive had 20 years in a barn cause paint peeling but never wax

--Jeff

#4 10 years ago

I thought that Carnuba Wax is one of the only things that is safe!

#5 10 years ago

what does your "reliable and experienced source" say to use? just curious. I use carnuba paste on all my EM's.

#6 10 years ago

I was surprised when I heard it as well but the reason that was given was the "color enhancing" chemicals caused the lifting. If it was anyone else I would have dismissed it but this fella knows his stuff, he has a ton of machines at home and routed. So I figured I would poll the audience.

Maybe a playfield that is lifting already due to whatever can be aggravated by the wax, idunno.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from LukeInOklahoma:

what does your "reliable and experienced source" say to use? just curious. I use carnuba paste on all my EM's.

Johnson's Paste Wax

#8 10 years ago

I never have used Carnuba Wax but have heard it is one of the best same as Johnson's Paste Wax which is what I use and is available at Lowe's and Home Depot and is formulated especially for wood with no cleaners added.

These are the ONLY 2 waxes I would use on an EM Playfield, Johnson's being #1 in my book.

Ken

#9 10 years ago

I use it on all my EM's and works great.

#10 10 years ago

Used it on a 1970 Gottlieb Baseball. No issues, looks great 8 months later.

#11 10 years ago

Novus 2 and Meguires Pure Carnuba - use it all the time on all my EM pin playfields including my shuffle and WMS pitch and bat formica and have not once had any issues. Hell I used it on the painted wood surface of my running man unit in my pitch and bat and that thing shines like new.

Everyone is right no cleaners or petroluem based products you can jack your playfield with that stuff.

OHEMIO

#12 10 years ago

Is millwax no good? I use it on my non cleared pfields and it seems to work. Carnuba on the cleared stuff.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

Is millwax no good? I use it on my non cleared pfields and it seems to work. Carnuba on the cleared stuff.

Not sure, never heard one way or the other on Mill-Wax, seems no one here has an opinion on the stuff... (ducks for cover)

#14 10 years ago

Never used Millwax. I know the techs from the EM era swear by it. Guy I bought my first pin recomended it. Also told me to use Wildcat products. Never used either after I had done some research.

OHEMIO

#15 10 years ago

Steve from PB resource suggested it when I bought my first pin (sky jump). This was years ago. It seems to work fine. Some others advised against using it on cleared pins as it can take the clear off. It cleans and waxes in one step. To get the things glass like I found 3-7 coats on a first (non maintenance) cleanup. I was just wondering on long term effects or input from people who know more than me??

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from OHEMIO:

Never used Millwax.

I use it on Pinball legs, balls, Coin Doors, other metals to polish and protect only.

It is not a very good wax product and with the cleaners in it could cause damage down the road using it repeatedly for EM Playfields IMO.

Ken

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

Millwax is fine for cleaning EM playfields (at least original playfields; can't vouch for cleared ones). Follow it with a couple coats of carnauba wax too if you like.

(For those new to the hobby, various potions and elixirs for cleaning and waxing playfields have been the subject of much debate for the last couple decades, Millwax being one of them. Some folks swear by it, others won't touch it. Novus 2 is a popular choice for cleaning also. Either one gets followed by a dedicated wax though, usually a carnauba or something like Johnson's. Personally, I've never had Millwax do any harm to a playfield, nor carnauba wax for that matter, in the course of nearly 20 years. So far.)

#18 10 years ago

wax on wax off carnauba is good for all pf surfaces

#19 10 years ago

Gottlieb original operator instruction card.......

playboard.cleaning.jpgplayboard.cleaning.jpg

#20 10 years ago

I use furniture polish with bees wax, works a treat.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

1970 Gottlieb Baseball

I used to have one of these, sold it for $800.00

#22 10 years ago

wax.JPGwax.JPG

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

I used to have one of these, sold it for $800.00

It was a retirement gift to my father-in-law. He's enjoyed it, but really doesn't have the space for it, so I'll be getting it back soon. No complaints here, except being outta space.

#25 10 years ago

Wildcat #125; Recommended by Bally. Also recommended by MrBally. I also finish with a coat of Griot's Garage Carnauba wax.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/carnuba-wax-on-ems-is-it-safe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.