Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pinballfan
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

What is the best paste carnuba wax for your playfields. Also, anyone use Millwax?

#2 12 years ago

There are numerous threads regarding this subject.

I use mothers paste carnuba in the gold and black can. Works great. Do yourself a favor and throw millwax away, it has petroleum products in it which will harm your playfield.

#3 12 years ago

After reading alot of thread posts on cleaning and waxing here on pinside some have said that Millwax wasn't good, so I stay away from it. I've never seen any in my area.

#4 12 years ago

I have used Millwax... nothin' wrong with it..
    Turtle wax paste is just as good.

I like the paste better than "liquid"... less worries of paste dripping down gummin' up any rollovers or whatnot..

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from ssathre:

Do yourself a favor and throw millwax away, it has petroleum products in it which will harm your playfield.

Question for ya.. I was under the impression that Millwax was good to go on old wood EM playfields and it's the newer clearcoat payfields that it can mess up..? please advise as I don't wanna mess anything up!

#6 12 years ago

I also use Mothers paste wax, red and black can. High end waxes have more actual carnuba in them. I buff it on with a detail buffing ball(made be mothers) on my electric drill, gives high shine and is long lasting.

Bought a bottle of Millwax years ago, used it once and never used it again, did not even compare to the high end paste waxes, I did throw it in the garbage. Just my experience with it.

#7 12 years ago

This will work well:

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05550-California-Natural-Carnauba/dp/B0002U2V1O/ref=sr_1_1

If you order some Novus or something else to get it to $25 the shipping will be free.

#8 12 years ago

Mother's and Meguiar's paste waxes are good. A few experienced people I know seem comfortable with Millwax on EM/painted pf's, but I wouldn't mess with it on a modern pf. Safest bet is to use a quality carnauba-based paste wax (not liquid, which has more petroleum distillates etc.).

And before we propagate yet more erroneous online info, the proper spelling is *carnauba*.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

And before we propagate yet more erroneous online info, the proper spelling is *carnauba*.

You can spell it correctly, but I bet you a million bucks that you *pronounce* it incorrectly.

#11 12 years ago

Mothers! for sure A+ in my book

#12 12 years ago

I use Trewax.... Picked it up at Ace Hardware... Works really well.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

StevenP said:And before we propagate yet more erroneous online info, the proper spelling is *carnauba*.
    You can spell it correctly, but I bet you a million bucks that you *pronounce* it incorrectly.

You lose. I know that it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove"

#14 12 years ago

I had used Turtle wax that was white in color and came in a yellow container - worked good on my EM playfields, after I ran out found a green version that is just horrible and a big waste of time stay away from the green paste/green container in my opinion .
    I'm open to any suggestion for wax on a EM PF ?

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

RobT said:StevenP said:And before we propagate yet more erroneous online info, the proper spelling is *carnauba*.

lol

#16 12 years ago

Mother's Brazilian Carnauba.
    its what I use, and I feel there is none better. A nice pf cleaner, too.

#17 12 years ago

I've used Johnson's Paste Wax and Tre Wax, but I've settled in with Harly Wax. It's carnauba and about as hard as the Tre but it actually smells alright. It probably isnt any different from any can of Mothers as far as distillates go, but I've been extremely happy with it on all playfields. I bought it from some old kook named Paul out in Orange County ( http://harlywax.com/HarlyWax/ ).

#18 12 years ago

Anyone use KIT carnauba wax?

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

StevenP said:RobT said:StevenP said:And before we propagate yet more erroneous online info, the proper spelling is *carnauba*.
    lol
    » YouTube video

The Larch.

Oh, Mother's in the red and black can as well.

#20 12 years ago

Went though this in the beginning of my pin days. Tried them all and reasearched. Strange thing is I have not waxed in a long time. Maybe cause I do not care or the wax I am using is incredible.

I think the latter. Some thread a while ago turned me on to this boat hull wax which has to endure the grimy rivers and salt, etc. Its expensive.

Called "Collinate 8701" (get the paste wax)

Smells great and seems to last forever.

I have a shelf full of waxes and pinball waxes that are just sitting there.

#21 12 years ago

Hmmm Collinate 8701?
    nice tip Slate

#22 12 years ago

I think its Collinite.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

I had used Turtle wax that was white in color and came in a yellow container - worked good on my EM playfields, after I ran out found a green version that is just horrible and a big waste of time stay away from the green paste/green container in my opinion .
    I'm open to any suggestion for wax on a EM PF ?

Thats why I am so dissatisfied with the two coats of wax I put on! I used the kind in the green tub as well and afterward I was very underwhelmed. I am gonna go out and get the black and gold kind.

Anyone else have poor experiences with the green turtle wax? Should I clean it off before using another wax?

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyFliprFingrs:

I think its Collinite.

It is Collinite.

I use the Collinite 845. Amazing product. Lasts a very long time. Perfect on clear coated playfields.

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html

#25 12 years ago

I just ordered some of the Collinite paste, it sounds like some good stuff.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Anyone use KIT carnauba wax?

That's what I use. It was recommended by a buddy that does restorations. I figure if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me

#27 12 years ago

I use the Mothers paste like DCFAN. I get it at Schucks, O'Reilys, NAPA, or Wally. It works well for me. I have not tried the collinite but I think it might be the only other thing I would try.

#28 12 years ago

I use Collinite and am very happy with it...

#29 12 years ago

I use Millwax on mt 79 Flash and am happy with the results, no problems.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from Squishy:

Jeff_PHX_AZ said:Anyone use KIT carnauba wax?
    That's what I use. It was recommended by a buddy that does restorations. I figure if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me

Ya can't beat the price for a can, the shine it does after buffing it off is hard to beat.

3 months later
    #31 11 years ago

I could not find the Mothers California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Paste locally and Amazon.com was sold out at the time.

I picked up the Chemical Guys XXX Hard Core Carnauba Paste Wax + Advanced Polymers from Amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-WAC_301-Carnauba-Advanced-Polymers/dp/B003UWQFKY/ref=sr_1_1

http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-carnauba-paste-wax.html

I will be using it on my NIB TRON once I get it this week, I will let you know how it works

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

StevenP said:

exhuming and beating the proverbial dead horse

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=carnauba

#33 11 years ago

So here's a question... What do you do BETWEEN waxes, other than just wipe it down with a cloth?

I don't think using Novus every time is a good idea unless you WANT to wear through your field. So do you do anything to wash it first (like you do a car) before you put more wax on?

Thoughts?

#34 11 years ago

I use Chemical Guys 3X wax. Been using the wax on Bimmers for sometime. Very tough and long lasteing. They actually make one with a higher wax content (53% by volume, I beleive) but I've found it just too hard to work with.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UWQFKY/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

I don't think using Novus every time is a good idea unless you WANT to wear through your field. So do you do anything to wash it first (like you do a car) before you put more wax on?

Novus is a polish. As such it will wear thru the coatings and any paint if used too much without applying a coating of something. That coating of something is the wax.

A good deal of stuff can be wiped up from a pf between polishing an waxing. if you have a well waxed pf, the grime will eventually work its way into the wax coat. Using Novus will take down the wax coat and any grime in it. At this point you'd need to apply wax again.

Ideally you don't want it to get to the point that you have to clean grime off the artwork (and risk wearing it as you mentioned). By keeping it waxed, wiped down between polish/waxing, and periodically removing and reapplying the wax, you should never risk wear to the pf art.

#36 11 years ago

Waxing like twice a year (on avg) should be good for most machines? I know it will vary depending on the machine.

#37 11 years ago

Twice a year? I probably wax at least once every 2 months. I'm pretty big on having speed on my game though.

#38 11 years ago

I had read some people were waxing like every month and others were commenting that was way too much. So I am trying to find a good balance as this will be my first machine

Maybe 4 times a year, or would you say after X amount of plays, again this can vary as well from a good player vs a not so good player

#39 11 years ago

can you wax over mylar or do you have to remove it first?
    Also do you wax a cc pf?

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from asnatlas:

Maybe 4 times a year, or would you say after X amount of plays,

I do it as needed. Once wipe down doesn't remove the grime (imbedded in the wax) I'll polish and wax it again. Some machines in my collection need it more than others based on usage (and how often I wipe down). I'm not big on applying coats of wax over time as it will build up, but will occasionally add a light coat to hold me over.

#41 11 years ago

for me the best is nu finish,synthetical wax without residue of wax!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/carnuba-wax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.