(Topic ID: 93371)

Caribbean Cruise Cocktail Pinball - Where are they?

By Rustyck

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150707_170706.jpg
IMG_1783-702.JPG
IMG_1782.JPG
IMG_1908-504.JPG
IMG_1790-326.JPG
IMG_1907-682.JPG
There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

I have been trying to track one of these down for awhile now, but they seem to be pretty far and few in between.

Anybody have one they are thinking about parting ways with?

Seems like a pretty neat little game to have without having to invest in taking up the space of a full sized pin, which is really the selling point for me.

Have alot of folks played this game and thought it had staying power?

#2 9 years ago

I got mine last year after looking for a Night Moves. I'm super happy I picked it up. Lots of stuff to shoot for. Good luck in your search!

#3 9 years ago

There's a guy in so cal who supposedly has a ton in a barn, that are in various conditions. I almost bought one from him. If I come across his name/info I'll pass it along.

#4 9 years ago

Only 377 of them made. Fun game and worthwhile to have.

Kim

#5 9 years ago

Game play seems good, but still no sign of the games =(

#6 9 years ago

I have both and actually like the layout and music of Night Moves more. Caribbean Cruise is also too generous with awarding multiball when you hit the saucer (unless there is a setting to change this that I'm not aware of, but I could not find one in the menus). But they are both cool novelties and a nice way to squeeze more pinball-goodness into your home.

Disclaimer: I just got my Caribbean Cruise last month, and have only put in maybe ten games on it, so my opinion may very well change once I have a chance to put in more time on it.

#7 9 years ago

Someone find me one too.

1 month later
#8 9 years ago

There is one on ebay right now, but he is asking $875.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Applezz:

I have been looking also (already own night moves) but that is TOO much, esp when I would need to ship also.

#10 9 years ago

I saw one on CL in my area for $600 but I didn't respond fast enough. TNT amusments will send one to you, but they're asking retail.

#11 9 years ago

I know it's not Cruise Cocktail but if anyone is lookings there is Nightmoves in St. Louis for $700 possibly two for $900
stlouis.craigslist.org link

#12 9 years ago

For some reason in California i see 2 or so a month on craigslist.. Roy Parker, Night Moves, Caribbean Cruise...

Got a call a month ago "Id like $2000 for my Roy Parker" - hahahahahaha

Edit: Errrr Roy Clark

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

For some reason in California i see 2 or so a month on craigslist.. Roy Parker, Night Moves, Caribbean Cruise...
Got a call a month ago "Id like $2000 for my Roy Parker" - hahahahahaha

I see Roy Parkers for cheap all the time...but that face creeps me out too much to bite.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

There's a guy in so cal who supposedly has a ton in a barn, that are in various conditions. I almost bought one from him. If I come across his name/info I'll pass it along.

What was left was sold to a guy in Anaheim. He took all the parts from the completely trashed ones and made 2 really good ones. He is keeping 1, I bought the other. Not sure what he is doing with the left over parts...but the cabinets and playfields that so much damage that they would only be good for firewood.

#15 9 years ago

I have owned 4 of these. Came across a guy locally that had purchased them new when they came out with the intentions of putting them into a few places. According to him he was threaten, at the time, by other vendors for moving in on their territory! He put all 4 of them into his warehouse until a few years ago when one of his employees told him it was a shame to see them sitting there.

I originally bought two of them as the others were spoken for. A month later he called me back and advised the other party never showed up so I purchased the third one as well. All three machines were in near mint condition. I sold one locally, one to a chap in OH and the other I believe was sent to CO.

The fourth one I obtain locally as well. I answered a CL ad for two machines (CF and Flash). The seller made me a deal if I purchased the both of them. Upon loading them up she said "I have a third machine but dont know if you're interested". I looked and yet another one. I purchased it as well and wound up selling it to another local guy several months later.

They're neat machines but they just didn't keep my or my kids interest at all. I know the two local parties I sold them too still have them and wont part with them.

#16 9 years ago

meSz >> pls contact me when you stumble on the next one

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

I see Roy Parkers for cheap all the time...but that face creeps me out too much to bite.

What cocktail pin did Roy Parker ever do?

I can't think of one, but I might be having a senior moment.....

#18 9 years ago

Perhaps......it is The Entertainer - Roy Clark

#19 9 years ago

Could be the combo of Hanging Judge Issac Parker of Fort Smith, Arkansas combined with Hanging Judge Roy Bean of Texas - becoming Roy Parker.

#20 9 years ago

Although it's no longer on my "must buy" list, I wouldn't mind one day owning a Caribbean Cruise. I had a ton of fun playing it on a cruise ship in the late 90s. Huge surprise to find it there.

I regret not being willing to drive for the NIB one I was offered about four years ago now for $500. Would have been a neat experience.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What cocktail pin did Roy Parker ever do?
I can't think of one, but I might be having a senior moment.....

ebay.com link: Pinball Machine Cocktail Style Roy Clark the Entertainer

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

meSz >> pls contact me when you stumble on the next one

If I come across a fifth one I might quit the hobby! Seriously, if I do I will reach out to ya!

#23 9 years ago

Came across a few pictures of one of the CC I had.

IMG_1907-682.JPGIMG_1907-682.JPG IMG_1790-326.JPGIMG_1790-326.JPG IMG_1908-504.JPGIMG_1908-504.JPG IMG_1782.JPGIMG_1782.JPG IMG_1783-702.JPGIMG_1783-702.JPG
#24 9 years ago

now you are just making it hurt

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Rustyck:

I have been trying to track one of these down for awhile now, but they seem to be pretty far and few in between.
Anybody have one they are thinking about parting ways with?
Seems like a pretty neat little game to have without having to invest in taking up the space of a full sized pin, which is really the selling point for me.
Have alot of folks played this game and thought it had staying power?

try to play it first, i was really wanting it (looked to buy one for months) i liked many features and layout so i thought- but i found one at a show and was not real impressed playwise. seemed silly to keep looking for one, when i have a eros one cocktail that is about 2 or 3 times the fun to play. im going to find cc and give it some play and maybe it will be different next time.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

its ok, when you said face and creeps- i knew what machine you were talking about-lol

has anyone played one? (roy clark... ) if so how did it play?

#27 9 years ago

roy clark is a turd and probably the worse cocktail of the bunch.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from lladnip:

try to play it first, i was really wanting it (looked to buy one for months) i liked many features and layout so i thought- but i found one at a show and was not real impressed playwise. seemed silly to keep looking for one, when i have a eros one cocktail that is about 2 or 3 times the fun to play. im going to find cc and give it some play and maybe it will be different next time.

Do you have a NM though? I don't know, I'd be hard pressed to think I wouldn’t like it. It's also hard to appreciate anything at shows, most play slow, they are uneven, and you can't hear a thing.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Do you have a NM though? I don't know, I'd be hard pressed to think I wouldn’t like it. It's also hard to appreciate anything at shows, most play slow, they are uneven, and you can't hear a thing.

very true- on all points. im looking forward to play another one (a rematch so to speak) when i can find one. sometimes just a fresh wax and rake ajustment can change the whole game. you never really do know a game untill you own it.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

I know it's not Cruise Cocktail but if anyone is lookings there is Nightmoves in St. Louis for $700 possibly two for $900
stlouis.craigslist.org link

I actually almost went to STL to buy these. One of them is in decent condition, the other one had smoke exposure, and the playfield still has some ball-swirly looking dirt to it. The guy sent me a bunch of pics, doesn't seem to be any battery acid on the boards, and he said both of them boot and play. If you talk to him, you can actually get BOTH of them for 700 bucks...

#31 9 years ago

Just to add to my earlier sentiment, NM and CC play very differently. I got NM first, and was later disappointed by CC when I acquired one. The layout and flow of NM is really nice. CC is still good as far as cocktails go, but I would advise anyone who has only played one of the two not to assume they play similarly.

I do appreciate the functionality of the cocktail layout (I actually use them as tables in front of two of my sectional sofas ), and guests think they look cool too. So if either one pops up for sale near you, they are worth getting, in my opinion.

Also, this is a little random, but with the increasing interest in running subs on pins, I can say that neither of these has overwhelming bass. I have each of mine hooked to Polk subs, and CC seems to have more punch, but its musical score gets old, unlike the chill music of NM, which enchants and engrosses me in ways that Swords of Fury and Al's Garage Band goes on a Word Tour do.

NM is definitely one to play in a dark room with a beverage at hand!

1 month later
#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Applezz:

I bought that one and I'm a fan. I'll post more when I have it in display condition.

#33 9 years ago

Just bought a Night Moves out of Southern FL, $750 in great condition. Wonder why pinball prce guide doesnt list the cocktail pins??

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Hoppy68144:

I bought that one and I'm a fan. I'll post more when I have it in display condition.

Congrats.

Did you end up getting it for $575; I think that wa shte final price he dropped his BIN to?
I was thinking about it and he told me $500 cash off ebay but was unwilling to ship.

2 weeks later
#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Congrats.
Did you end up getting it for $575; I think that wa shte final price he dropped his BIN to?
I was thinking about it and he told me $500 cash off ebay but was unwilling to ship.

Yep. Drove 5 hours to get it and 5 hours back home (at least I got some White Castle for lunch). Neat machine. Interesting story behind it. Fun play. Below is the review I posted on Caribbean Cruise last week...

Bottom Line Up Front – This machine is a niche machine that has replay value. It draws your attention due to its uniqueness, but holds your attention because it has really good play. I highly recommend it.

I started looking for a Caribbean Cruise several years ago when I read that it is the best of the cocktail pinballs. Night Moves, also by Gottlieb for International Concepts, I read is almost as good and also very good. The rest of the cocktails suck. Or so I hear.

After four years of looking I bought Caribbean Cruise having never played it. To be honest, I’d never seen one in person. After all, only 377 were made (I bought #102). Some portion of those made were trashed because they did not make money. The rest were stored because they did not make money. If you can find the latter, which I did, you have a very good buy.

I read that Gottlieb System 3 machines are “bullet proof.” Judging by the fact that all I had to do was replace some fuses in a machine that had been in storage for over a decade and now works perfectly, I believe it. Add some polish and LEDs and it is truly beautiful.

Play… No pinball machine is worth a darn if isn’t a fun play. Caribbean Cruise is fun! Surprisingly, it actually plays almost like a full-sized pinball, and I mean that as a compliment. It is very, very close to a good, full-size table. It has a good, fairly in-depth rule set, four flippers each with their own shot, no frustrating “drain-o” shots (which I think it really important and also difficult to design), decent multi-ball, and excellent sound & art. Don’t get me wrong – cocktail pinball is a niche. But this machine is a niche machine that has replay value. It draws your attention due to its uniqueness, but holds your attention because it is a good pin.

I like that you can adjust what I’ll call the game’s mission difficulties. You can adjust whether or not the following reset after each ball, or remain from ball to ball: Bonus Multiplier, Spinner Lane working towards Special (or Extra Ball, as described below), and CRUISE drop targets working towards Extra Ball. For home use, I prefer to set them to remain from ball to ball. It adds to the “Mission” aspect of the game and it’s the missions make this pin fun. There truly is a shot for each flipper, and good shots make good play.

I also like that you can not only set it for Free Play, but also adjust the game settings so that Special awards an Extra Ball and not an already free “free” game. That surprised me (although maybe it shouldn’t have) for an 80’s machine.

You can customize the Attract Message. “Hoppy’s Basement” is mine. Actually, there is no apostrophe, which kind of bothers me, but you get the point.

[Randomly placed informational note… To enter Game Adjustments mode, hold the left flipper while pressing the Test button.]

I do have some complaints…

I’m not sure my first complaint is really a complaint. I’ll let you decide. The way to score a lot of points is to maximize your Outhole Bonus. You do this two ways. First, get a lot of extra balls by spelling CRUISE with the drop targets or by advancing the Spinner Lane to Special. More balls equals more Outhole Bonuses. Second, increase the Bonus Multiplier and advance the CRUISE drop targets. Basically, 100,000 x Bonus Multiplier x CRUISE letters = Outhole Bonus. In a high scoring game, I’d estimate you earn over 75% of your score through Outhole Bonuses. It doesn’t detract from game play, it just doesn’t feel right.

“Skeet Mode,” which you enter by hitting the five SKEET targets, could be totally awesome!!! But it’s a dud. Basically, after hitting each letter you enter “Skeet Mode” where each letter in the SKEET targets light in sequence. For each letter you hit that is lit you get 1 million points. This could be really fun. The problem, however, is that the rest of the game is “off” during Skeet Mode, meaning you can’t advance CRUISE or the Spinner Lane towards Special. It’s just not worth the risk to score 1 million points with a SKEET hit so I frequently catch the ball and wait for Skeet Mode to end. I wish I could increase the value of a Skeet hit to, say, 5 or 10 million. Then it might be worth the risk of draining the ball. Skeet Mode could be utterly fantastic! Unfortunately, it’s just not worth the risk of losing your ball.

It rolls over at 100 million. Really?!?! 100 million?!?! Urgh!!!

Overall, Caribbean Cruise is an eye-magnet that holds your attention. It is unique and fun. I highly, highly recommend this machine as a first and only pinball machine (as it is for me), or as a niche machine to accent your collection. Enjoy!!!

Post script… I highly recommend you watch the following videos if you’re interested in a cocktail pin. The first two are about Caribbean Cruise. The second two are about Night Moves, the similar cocktail by Gottlieb for International Concepts. All four videos are by TNT Amusements. I have no affiliation with them other than I think they have good, entertaining and informational videos about machines.

#36 9 years ago

Everyone gets one but me

If anyone wants to sell and ship, please PM me.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Everyone gets one but me

And me. =\

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Everyone gets one but me

I feel for you. I looked for 4 years. One will eventually turn up.

#39 9 years ago

Great review Hoppy and thanks for those videos.

I have both Night Moves and Caribbean Cruise. Caribbean Cruise is much more challenging but I find Night Moves more pleasurable. Opinions, we all got em.

I over paid for the Caribbean Cruise and as a cheap bastard that kinda grinds my sole. But I loved Night Moves so much I just had to have it's sibling game. And in retrospect I don't mind having over paid as I do love having it. With its rarity and desirability you may have to over pay also.

#40 9 years ago

I had to help a guy locally fix his. Cool game. Learn the sweet spot on the top right flipper to keep getting the "mystery" multiballs! I swear I've chained 7 multiballs in a row on ball 1

2 weeks later
#41 9 years ago

Thanks for all the great reviews and stories guys! Does anyone actually have one to sell?
I have NM and am looking for to pair it up with CC in the room plan.

Playability for these two pins as far as cocktails go looks great.

I have not played one personally, but from the videos Im already sold.
I also currently have a space issue, as far as full sized tables go, so this is a perfect fit for me personally.

Would love to find one with 4 hours of Baltimore if possible!

1 week later
#42 9 years ago

I saw a broke CC in the FL Keys for sale. cheap! Craigslist!

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from VanManDan:

I saw a broke CC in the FL Keys for sale. cheap! Craigslist!

Sold =(

3 weeks later
#45 9 years ago

I'm still looking too, crazy hard to find NM or CC.

1 week later
#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Krankor:

One just went up on eBay today:
ebay.com link » Pinball Machine Table Top Model Cool Fun

I contacted him and he thinks it is going to sell for $1500, lol.

He does not want to do any sort of deal off ebay and told me he knows they are worth atleast 1500...
He also told me the guy he got if from had 4 others that were still new in the box.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I contacted him and he thinks it is going to sell for $1500, lol.
He does not want to do any sort of deal off ebay and told me he knows they are worth atleast 1500...
He also told me the guy he got if from had 4 others that were still new in the box.

I had a feeling. Well, at least it's another one in the wild.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Krankor:

One just went up on eBay today:
ebay.com link » Pinball Machine Table Top Model Cool Fun

obvious shill bidding on this one unfortunately. Don't get taken by the sham. The owner wanted $1500 and it appears he set up a new 0 account to try and get the price pumped.

I was thinking about bidding but bailed as soon as I saw that. I don't bid against 0 bidders and new accounts

#50 9 years ago

With all the remakes coming out why can't someone put out a new cocktail game? Us collectors are packed to the gills with pins but I am sure we could all fit a new cocktail pin!

Whoa Nelly should have been a cocktail table.

Come on stern!

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/caribbean-cruise-cocktail-pinball-where-are-they and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.