(Topic ID: 124953)

Careful choosing seller when buying MC68B09E chips!

By Carl_694

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Recently bought a couple of these through what I thought to be a reasonably reputable dealer (Jameco). None of them have worked and I suspect they were all counterfeit. Wanted to post this for posterity to warn future users to choose wisely when selecting a vendor for these.

You won't find any of these with Motorola marking and a date code newer than 1995. (YYWW) where w is the number of weeks into a year (I believe)

#2 9 years ago

The remarkers are known screw up on 6809Es. The E suffix is important and they remark normal 6089 as 6089E.

#3 9 years ago

Did you notify Jameco?

#4 9 years ago

I will be doing so, for sure.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Carl_694:

You won't find any of these with Motorola marking and a date code newer than 1995. (YYWW) where w is the number of weeks into a year (I believe)

Yes, you do have to be careful in buying these - tons of counterfeits out there.
    You are correct about the date code -- YYWW.
    A last time buy was issued for the MC68B09EP on 14 APR 1998 with a last time ship date of 14 OCT 1999.

Other important dates:
    6800s and 6821s -- last time buy was issued 31 MAR 1999 with last time ship of 31 DEC 1999
    BUT -- due to outstanding orders, they did continue a few months beyond the last time ship date and there are valid date codes that stretched into 2000.

ST Microelectronics was then the last manufacturer of replacement 68xx parts with part number such as EF68B21... but they discontinued these a couple years after Motorola.

An interesting thing that you will see occasionally on fleabay. Motorola was the only manufacturer of "MC" series devices in this family (e.g MC6800P and MC68B21P). Yet many of the counterfeiters will mark the parts as made by ON Semiconductor (formerly Motorola logic and analog devices) or Freescale (who took over Motorola CPU operations). You should never see an ON Semi or Freescale logo on these parts.

Also look at the tooling holes on the tops. There are some IC's have do rough holes. But every true Motorola 68xx IC that I have ever seen has smooth tooling holes -- no rough textured paint in the holes.

This does not say that every counterfeit part won't work...some of them will. They are remarked to make the parts look new or to be the specific part number that the customer wanted. Or the actual part could be one of a lesser part (e.g. slower), different manufacturer, or in some cases a completely wrong part. I have even seen photo's where inside the IC -- there is 'nothing'... just an empty frame.

#6 9 years ago

I would definately make Jameco aware of this. They may want one back for testing purposes/to look at the markings,etc.

I order from them frequently and haven't had any significant problems.

I'm glad you gave us a heads up on this issue.

However, don't fault Jameco totally as they are as much a victim as you are on this issue.

They bought these parts from another supplier, in good faith and got taken.

It is an epidemic in the parts world now with fake parts. This is hurting manufacturers as they can build new product and not know they have some fake parts that slipped in until they have built hundreds of units that then fail test before shipping. It is expensive to rework they new product in-house to correct the problem and "exorcist the demons!" (Insert Ace Ventura voice here)

ICs and capacitors are knocked off by the boat loads.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mrjamma:

I would definately make Jameco aware of this. They may want one back for testing purposes/to look at the markings,etc.
    I order from them frequently and haven't had any significant problems.
    I'm glad you gave us a heads up on this issue.
    However, don't fault Jameco totally as they are as much a victim as you are on this issue.
    They bought these parts from another supplier, in good faith and got taken.
    It is an epidemic in the parts world now with fake parts. This is hurting manufacturers as they can build new product and not know they have some fake parts that slipped in until they have built hundreds of units that then fail test before shipping. It is expensive to rework they new product in-house to correct the problem and "exorcist the demons!" (Insert Ace Ventura voice here)
    ICs and capacitors are knocked off by the boat loads.

Definitely not faulting jameco. Jus wanted folks to know. Tested two and they both failed, made me think I had another issue until I put in a known working one. I.was lucky to do that and have one available. Others will assume what they bought works and start troubleshooting without realizing the parts are bad.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Carl_694:

Definitely not faulting jameco. Jus wanted folks to know. Tested two and they both failed, made me think I had another issue until I put in a known working one. I.was lucky to do that and have one available. Others will assume what they bought works and start troubleshooting without realizing the parts are bad.

Yes, troubleshooting with a known good part or new part that doesnt work can really be a setback.

#9 9 years ago

Any feedback on a good supplier for these at a reasonable price?

I have a stack of malfunctioning JAMMA boards that have the right proc in them, but it wasn't socketed from the factory! I may start desoldering them and see how I can do. Got nothing to lose, I suppose.

#10 9 years ago

I just bought some from GPE.

7 years later
    #11 1 year ago

Sorry to revive an old post but I think its fitting. I need 2 or 3 68B09E chips. Great Plains, DigiKey and Jameco no longer have stock. I am used to buying NVRAM and ROM chips on eBay with generally good success but never purchased processors before. I know they are almost always remarked/badged but the reliability has been fine. I have now purchased 68B09Es from 3 different sellers for a total of 13 chips both ST and MC branded and every single one has not worked. Most recently I ordered from adeleparts2010 and MTX-STORE(KNW) which did not work. I assume these are all actually 68B09 (not E) chips.

The pinball stores also do not seem to have them often, Action Pinball $10.99 is out of stock. Yes Marco has them but I have read mixed reviews of the Marco ones working and they are $12.99 which is like 5x the price on ebay or Aliexpress. Does anyone know a seller that has usable 68B09Es any longer?

#12 1 year ago

I have genuine ST branded EF68B09EP's and Motorola branded MC68B09EP's at $12 canadian each.
    They are clean board pulls, tested, look and work like new.
    OEM parts, no Chinese knockoffs or remarked junk.
    Thanks
    Brent

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/careful-choosing-seller-when-buying-mc68b09e-chips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.