Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

So I had replaced a bunch of blown fuses the other day, and finally got the machine to turn on.

Yesterday, I was cleaning the "Add player" relay, as that was the very last problem I had to fix. I didn't test it because both of my roommates were sleeping and I didn't want to wake them up.

I try to test it today, and when I plug it in I hear a bunch of pops and the thing won't turn on once again.

Checked all the fuses, they seem fine. I replaced a couple to see if it would make a difference, and it didn't. I have a really hard time deciding if a fuse is bad though, but I really don't think they're blown.

I have absolutely no idea what to do. I'm fearing that my machine is completely fried.

#2 7 years ago

A meter is going to be the first thing to grab. I'd check the fuses again. Game off, pull one end of each fuse up and measure continuity.

Turn game on and measure AC at the cord into the transformer, main switch, voltages out of the transformer to the fuses, etc. If you have a schematic, you can systematically start going down each line and seeing where you may or may not have power. I've never heard of an EM being completely fried.

If the fuses are blown, you'd better find out what's causing the issue.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

A meter is going to be the first thing to grab. I'd check the fuses again. Game off, pull one of each fuse up and measure continuity.
Turn game on and measure AC at the cord into the transformer, main switch, voltages out of the transformer to the fuses, etc. If you have a schematic, you can systematically start going down each line and seeing where you may or may not have power. I've never heard of an EM being completely fried.
If the fuses are blown, you'd better find out what's causing the issue.

Checked fuses with multimeter. They're not blown. I could find 7 fuses.

I have no schematics. I'm not entirely sure how to do the rest of what you said

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Zeusophobia:

I hear a bunch of pops

more info needed on these pops....what's it sound like? Electrical frying pops, stuttering relay kind of pops...the game isn't fried. Also, are you sure you had "blown fuses" or did you just replace a bunch of fuses because the game wouldn't start? Also, when you replaced the fuses did you put in the correct fuse?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Zeusophobia:

I have no schematics.

You're going to need to get one from Steve at the Pinball Resource.

http://www.pbresource.com/mansch.html

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

more info needed on these pops....what's it sound like? Electrical frying pops, stuttering relay kind of pops...the game isn't fried. Also, are you sure you had "blown fuses" or did you just replace a bunch of fuses because the game wouldn't start? Also, when you replaced the fuses did you put in the correct fuse?

Blown fuses were the cause of the first problem which is now fixed. I've triple checked every fuse.

It was electrical frying pops

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Zeusophobia:

It was electrical frying pops

Have you looked at your power cord? Trace it from transformer out the cab to see if it is damaged?

I ask about the fuses because I have owned/repaired a few dozen EM's and have never had a fuse problem...doesn't mean yours wasn't but that's a common theme when you grab games off craigslist--"probably a blown fuse" when it really isn't.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Have you looked at your power cord? Trace it from transformer out the cab to see if it is damaged?

Power cord looks fine. I may have dripped sweat in there yesterday. Maybe this is the problem? Nothing on the machine looks wet though.

I also switched out the locks on the top part.

I don't know if any of that matters. I'm just listing everything that could have possibly happened because nothing seems to be working.

#9 7 years ago

As stated above, you will first need to get a digital multi-meter. With this you can test for ac voltage, dc voltage, shorts, grounds, and open circuits.
First thing I would check is power coming from the transformer. With a multi-meter you will be able to see the different voltages. Without one, it will be impossible to troubleshoot this.

Fuses for this machine are, 2, 10 amp fuses for the lamp circuit. 1, 10 amp fuse for the relay circuit. 2, 1 amp SLO-BLO fuses for the target bank reset, 1, 1/2 amp SLO-BLO fuse for the sequence bank reset, and 1, 5 amp SLO-BLO fuse for the ac power.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Playdium:

As stated above, you will first need to get a digital multi-meter. With this you can test for ac voltage, dc voltage, shorts, grounds, and open circuits.
First thing I would check is power coming from the transformer. With a multi-meter you will be able to see the different voltages. Without one, it will be impossible to troubleshoot this.
Fuses for this machine are, 2, 10 amp fuses for the lamp circuit. 1, 10 amp fuse for the relay circuit. 2, 1 amp SLO-BLO fuses for the target bank reset, 1, 1/2 amp SLO-BLO fuse for the sequence bank reset, and 1, 5 amp SLO-BLO fuse for the ac power.

Based on that I definitely have the fuses right.

What are the safety precautions for messing with a live transformer? Would a regular pair of gloves do the trick?

#11 7 years ago

Maybe backing up a bit and giving more details would help. It doesn't sound like you are checked out on using a multimeter at this point. Did you just get this game? Was it working/playing before all this or this is the first time it has had any life? What has been done to it in your troubleshooting? What exactly is it doing now?

This thread might help focus your tech questions:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-efficiently-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-em

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Maybe backing up a bit and giving more details would help. It doesn't sound like you are checked out on using a multimeter at this point. Did you just get this game? Was it working/playing before all this or this is the first time it has had any life? What has been done to it in your troubleshooting? What exactly is it doing now?

I've had the game for a year give or take 3 months. I've had many issues. It was working when I got it.

A couple days ago it wouldn't turn on after it had been sitting for months. Problem was fixed via fuses.

I had the thing perfect aside from the fact that it was always stuck on 2 player.

I went to fix that last night but after I made adjustments I realized I could not test the machine because it's loud and my roommates were sleeping.

I tried to turn it on earlier today and it made those popping sounds instead of turning on. Nothing on the machine has been operational since

#13 7 years ago

Multimeter.

Check that the power cord gets the proper voltage at the transformer lugs, I'd guess that's your issue. These things do go bad. "Looks fine" means jack squat.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Zeusophobia:

What are the safety precautions for messing with a live transformer? Would a regular pair of gloves do the trick?

Just make sure you are not a path to ground.

#17 7 years ago

It is rare for a transformer to just fail on its own. Yes it can happen.

As other Pinsiders have stated check the power cord to the transformer. If something metal, has fallen on or touching the outputs and the ground on the transformer, will cause a problem. Loose connection also will cause a pop, arcing of electrical current, so will a damaged or old power cord, that has become brittle. Or shorting out the fuse, inline with the on/off switch. Even an on/off switch can fail and cause a short.

If the power cord or the power cords plug has been damaged, or your wall socket, usually, not always, will have hopefully tripped your breaker. Or blown the fuse in the fuse box in your home/garage.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Multimeter.
Check that the power cord gets the proper voltage at the transformer lugs, I'd guess that's your issue. These things do go bad. "Looks fine" means jack squat.

So I put the red to the red wire and the black to the black wire with the machine turned on. I hope that's what you guys meant to do.

No power on the transformer there.

I know the multimeter was on the right setting because my roommate whose a mechanic helped.

Hopefully you guys can determine if I actually did that right.

If I did do that right, what's my next step?

#19 7 years ago

Something simple to check next.

The plug outlet to the wall that you have the machine plugged into still have power? Test with plugging a lamp into the outlet. There is a chance that a short on the machine blew the wire off the outlet terminal but may/may not have tripped the circuit breaker.

I have had something similar happen with an appliance before in which the circuit was overloaded/shorted.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Something simple to check next.
The plug outlet to the wall that you have the machine plugged into still have power? Test with plugging a lamp into the outlet. There is a chance that a short on the machine blew the wire off the outlet terminal but may/may not have tripped the circuit breaker.
I have had something similar happen with an appliance before in which the circuit was overloaded/shorted.

OMG this fixed it. Wow lol.

Did the machine destroy the outlet? Is the machine safe to use?

#21 7 years ago

Check your house breaker.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Zeusophobia:

OMG this fixed it. Wow lol.
Did the machine destroy the outlet? Is the machine safe to use?

The fact that you did not blow any fuses on the machine to begin with leads me to believe that the power cord on your machine "may" have caused it, that "may" skip the fuses from blowing on the machine as it is the first thing power goes to. Check your cord thoroughly. If the cord is fine it may have been a short with the outlet to begin with and not the fault of the machine itself. Fix your electrical outlet then see if it happens again.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Zeusophobia:

So I put the red to the red wire and the black to the black wire with the machine turned on. I hope that's what you guys meant to do.

You can also put the red probe tip into the ground receptacle on the outlet, and the black probe tip into one side. BE SURE that you have the meter set to AC first.
Some cords on pinball machines do not have the third wire used for ground. If yours doesn't, it might be wise to add one. Also when testing for voltage in the machine, you only need to have one probe tip attached to ground, and the other used to test the contact in question. Again, be sure the meter is set to AC.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

The fact that you did not blow any fuses on the machine to begin with leads me to believe that the power cord on your machine "may" have caused it, that "may" skip the fuses from blowing on the machine as it is the first thing power goes to. Check your cord thoroughly. If the cord is fine it may have been a short with the outlet to begin with and not the fault of the machine itself. Fix your electrical outlet then see if it happens again.

I make it point to ALWAYS replace power cords on any pin I buy. No sense in trusting an unknown cord,

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I make it point to ALWAYS replace power cords on any pin I buy. No sense in trusting an unknown cord,

I do it 90% of the time, the other 10% I am just lucky the current cord is in good shape or has already been replaced.

#26 7 years ago

How do I replace the cord?

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Zeusophobia:

How do I replace the cord?

Trace it back to the transformer and you'll see where it's soldered to the lugs...take a pic. Desolder it. It's tied in to the wire bundle. I cut out the excess power cord and leave what I can't get to in the bundle--remove the rest. Grab an extension cord and chop off 1 end. Snake it down in the same route and zip tie it to the wire bundle. Solder in place, done. If you get a 3 prong you should be able to connect the green ground to a bolt near transformer.

I'm sure others have different methods but this has worked a dozen times for me without blowing up anything....yet

#28 7 years ago

Pinball Resource sells a nice 3 prong 14' cord for $6.35, I always buy theirs.

http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/card-whiz-heard-a-bunch-of-pops-when-i-plugged-it-in-and-wont-turn-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.