(Topic ID: 183775)

Carbon Steel Pinballs

By Fishhawk1650

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Hello Pinside,
    I've finally you entered into the wonderful world of pinball machine ownership!
    I've learned a lot from this site and one thing that I see repeatedly suggested is to toss out the balls that come with a (Stern) NIB game since they are of very low quality.
    The catch I see is that magnetic games such as Star Trek has a magnet therefore any replacement needs to be a carbon steel ball. Searching Pinside repeatly calls for the Pinball Life Ultra-gloss as suitable replacements.
    Unfortunately these appear to out of stock and have been for quite some time. Has anyone found an equivelant replacement?

*edit
    I think I found a replacement - http://www.thepinballwizard.net/index.php?p=product&id=849
    After shopping by game, this option arrives for my game. I wish it explicitly said carbon steel but doesn't make mention of it. I'll contact the seller and update here.

Any advice is greatly Appreciated!
    Thanks
    Dan

#3 7 years ago

Pinball Life actually has them in stock, but due to limited quantities available they are off the website. Just give them a call or email.

#4 7 years ago

I use the silver jet from marco and they seem to be good.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fishhawk1650:

Congrats!

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

They will not work well in games with magnets.

#7 7 years ago

he's doomed!

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fishhawk1650:

Hello Pinside,
    I've learned a lot from this site and one thing that I see repeatedly suggested is to toss out the balls that come with a (Stern) NIB game since they are of very low quality.
    The catch I see is that magnetic games such as Star Trek has a magnet therefore any replacement needs to be a carbon steel ball. Searching Pinside repeatly calls for the Pinball Life Ultra-gloss as suitable replacements.
    Unfortunately these appear to out of stock and have been for quite some time. Has anyone found an equivelant replacement?
    *edit
    I think I found a replacement - http://www.thepinballwizard.net/index.php?p=product&id=849
    After shopping by game, this option arrives for my game. I wish it explicitly said carbon steel but doesn't make mention of it. I'll contact the seller and update here.
    Any advice is greatly Appreciated!
    Thanks
    Dan

I think the Balls have gotten better in the last couple of years. But nothing wrong with replacing them either.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I never thought of that. What do you suggest for magnet games. I have several.

#10 7 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the Pinball Life status!

Some good news, I got a response from thepinballwizard.net and they confirmed they are the ultra gloss carbon steel pinballs and have since updated their store page to indicate they will work with tables with magnets.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/carbon-steel-pinballs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.