(Topic ID: 110735)

carbon fiber - what do you think?

By TireFryer426

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC09117.JPG
    WP_20141127_10_56_16_Pro.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I've started messing with doing carbon fiber wrapping, and started thinking 'i bet that would look pretty cool on a pin'. So I've done 2 legs on the machine just to see how it looked and work out some kinks in the process. Its not perfect, but I really like the way it looks and think I'll move on to do the other 2 legs, lockdown bar, and side trim.
    What do you folks think about this? Looks cool, or played out?
    I was also thinking about potentially doing this to the shooter lane.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 9 years ago

I like it but only on certain machines where it would fit the theme. Someone here was also using the water method like they use on bumpers/rims for autos. Could come up with a ton of different designs that way.

#3 9 years ago

maybe you could do a laser ball cabinate so the machine wont be so heavy-lol

#4 9 years ago

Hydrographics would be a better application...easier, cheaper, and an array of patterns available.

You have some serious patience to wrap a steel fluted leg in CF

rody

#5 9 years ago

I don't think I'd care for it on the lockdown and side armor, assuming that the stuff you're using is textured, like the 3M DI-NOC 'carbon fiber' is.

I really like a smooth finish on those under my hands when playing (one of the first things I noticed when I had my first set of trim powdered and cleared was how great they felt when playing) and the textured finish on the DI-NOC wrap would drive me batty.

#6 9 years ago

Hydrographics are cool, and it works for a lot of things, but not carbon fiber. It just looks really cheap to me. Other patterns, great! I've seen some really neat stuff done with it.

This isn't the stick on 3M stuff. This is legit carbon fiber fabric. Applied using the vacuum bag method, then 2 top coats of epoxy resin sanded smooth finished with UV clear coat polished to a 'glass smooth' finish. It is a little labor intensive for the whole process. But if you've seen exposed carbon fiber on a car or motorcycle, you know it looks really neat in person. Stick on stuff or hydrographics just can't match it.

I started down this road because I'm redoing some wood grain interior pieces in a car in carbon fiber.
    Eventually I'll start making parts out of it, RC helicopter canopies is what I'll probably start with. But it wouldn't be too hard to make a mold to do the legs completely out of carbon fiber. The lockdown bar would be tough. Eventually I plan to start making body panels once I gather up the equipment and mature the skillset.

I thought it would be neat to try on a pin. I've seen some folks here do some wild customs, but I've never seen anyone work carbon fiber into a machine.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from TireFryer426:

This isn't the stick on 3M stuff. This is legit carbon fiber fabric.

In that case, absolutely! I think on the right pin a full set of legit carbon fiber trim would be outstanding.

#8 9 years ago

I think it would suit terminator 3

#10 9 years ago

I @#$@#$# LOVE CF.

Hydro with the CF look is really bad on rounded objects as it "stretches" the look.

The 3m wrap wouldn't be horrible but would take some time and finesse. This looks great. I request more pics!

I agree it wouldn't look great on all games, but I think on a bunch it would be amazing. Actually...I'd love to see that on my checkpoint pin! more more more

#11 9 years ago

It would be good if someone sold legs, lookdown bars and other trim pieces that were solid CF rather than wraps. Once they had the tooling and patterns designed it would be a pretty straightforward manufacturing process. Would probably only happen though if a pinhead worked in the composites fabrication business and had access to the right equipment and materials at a decent price.

#12 9 years ago

Definitely looks cool on terminator. I would also add black levelers and bolts to complete the look.

#13 9 years ago

Here is a better picture with some light. This is all I have though - I haven't done the lockdown bar or trim on mine yet. They are next, but its off season here. I can't do this in the winter unless I put together a way to keep them heated.
    I think the hardest thing on a pin to do in full carbon fiber would be the lockdown bar due to the tabs on the bottom. The legs would be pretty easy, I've thought about trying. The issue you run into is cost vs benefit. Doing a wrap goes from 1 layer of CF to doing a full part like legs would probably need to be 5 layers. I think I figured the material cost just to do the 1 layer wrap at around $150 ish including consumables.
    Then you get into some legal gray area that I don't know much about when you talk about reproducing parts vs just doing a modification to existing parts. Meaning I wouldn't know what sort of trouble a person would get into if they made the molds for the legs and started selling them.

WP_20141127_10_56_16_Pro.jpgWP_20141127_10_56_16_Pro.jpg

#14 9 years ago

I really like that wrapped leg. I don't think there would be an issue selling wrapped legs. I'd take a set of legs and a lock down bar wrapped for Checkpoint.

#15 9 years ago

I have a raw set of IronMan rails I think I will have CF'd. Was thinking a lightgrey/black mix so you can see it. Will post pics when my dude can complete it.

DSC09117.JPGDSC09117.JPG

#16 9 years ago

I think you need to do the feet and bolts also for a finished look.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I have a raw set of IronMan rails I think I will have CF'd. Was thinking a lightgrey/black mix so you can see it. Will post pics when my dude can complete it.

DSC09117.JPG 224 KB

please do, would like to see them

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from t2:

I think you need to do the feet and bolts also for a finished look.

some titanium studs in the cab legs, with simple titanium nuts would give such and interesting crude mech look and a nice luster- would actually work for this particular title.

#19 9 years ago

The carbin fiber looks great. It would look good on any car theme like nitro ground shaker, nascar, mustang, ect... It would also look good in a T3 and probably any robot theme.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/carbon-fiber-what-do-you-think and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.