6 days ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by ryanwanger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P1030045 (resized).JPG
    P1030047 (resized).JPG
    P1030046 (resized).JPG
    P1030044 (resized).JPG

#1 6 days ago

So my Toyota Highlander license plate bulb was out and I decided to replace it. Replacement type was W5W. I pulled it out and thought, hmm this looks like a pinball bulb. I think I have a few of those laying around. Go digging in my spares and out comes a 12V 555 base bulb. did it work? Why yes it did!

I could have spent $6 to $20 at Autozone or I could shove a $1 LED pinball bulb in.

I just laid the old bulb and a spare bulb together for that first picture. The bulb I used had a few more SMDs on it.

P1030044 (resized).JPGP1030045 (resized).JPGP1030046 (resized).JPGP1030047 (resized).JPG
    #2 6 days ago

Hi, a 555 is usually a 6.3 volt lamp. Unless there is something unusual about the Led you put in, you are probably overdriving the led with double its rated voltage. It will work, but its life will be very short.

#3 6 days ago
    Quoted from JP:

Hi, a 555 is usually a 6.3 volt lamp. Unless there is something unusual about the Led you put in, you are probably overdriving the led with double its rated voltage. It will work, but its life will be very short.

Yes it will work for a short period of time and then it will fail and start to flicker-need 12V LED

#4 6 days ago

Same in 12V....Base size is only difference, so it needs to be tight...
    T10....10mm base, what you used,
    T15 .....15mm base, full socket contact.

12V Flasher Bulbs for Pinball are fine, and yes, $1-$2 in the Hobby,
    up to $20 for License plate, and $75 for High end Car, 12V interior dome light

#5 6 days ago

need another current limiting resistor for a 6v LED running on 12v. If you bend out the leads and take apart the LED you might have space to cram one up in there.

If you look on eBay or AliExpress they have crap loads of 12v LEDs intended for vehicles. You can probably find a 99cent with shipping one to try out.

#6 6 days ago

my old vw thing uses 555 and 89 bulbs, a pleasant surprise, a bulb was $8 from the vw dealer or .50 from pinball life.

#7 6 days ago

Yes sorry I was typing fast and all excited. A 906 socket 12VDC 5 SMD white bulb was used. In the first picture I just laid the old bulb and stray LED bulb together.

I think they are coin takers 906 Super 5 bulbs so maybe $2 each.

#8 6 days ago

Yep I did interior LEDs for a Toyota Solara and used mostly pinball bulbs. All were 12v versions from Comet. Worked great. Definitely don’t use standard 6V pinball bulbs without modification. Now I have a new Highlander and will do that one next when I get time.

You have to be a little careful when convert from incandescent to LED on interior lighting so you don’t get it too bright or too dim. As a general rule of thumb an LED wattage is about 15% of incandescent to produce the same brightness (lumens). So for a 20 watt incandescent a 3 watt LED should be about the same brightness. The LED auto people usually think the factory lamps are too dim so they will go for brighter LEDs. They like to add extra lighting in various places as well. It’s a whole thing.

#9 6 days ago

I took some old bottles, and used both my Op-Max, and 2835 in sockets for landscape lighting on a 6.3V
    Transformer.....super easy and fast, and with the bottles upside down, no water issues...
    (I did silicone with small drainage, to keep nesting bugs out later.....Blue Ice Tea Bottles,) but lots of creative lighting projects here...cabinets, fountains, all done with Comet LEDs

#10 5 days ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I took some old bottles, and used both my Op-Max, and 2835 in sockets for landscape lighting on a 6.3V
    Transformer.....super easy and fast, and with the bottles upside down, no water issues...
    (I did silicone with small drainage, to keep nesting bugs out later.....Blue Ice Tea Bottles,

Sounds awesome! Pics?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside