Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I attended the Captain's Auction in Anaheim this past Saturday. It was my first auction and I was able to take home my first pin ever.

Here are the hammer prices I jotted down for those interested.

South Park $1700
Tales...Crypt $1400
Elvis $2350 (I bid on it but another fellow liked it $50 more than me )
Cybernaut $450
Honey $400
Dipsy Doodle $400
Galaxy $375
Black Knight $700
Lord...Rings $2800
Pinbot $1000
Spiderman $3400
Roadshow $1450
Fish Tales $1550 (my first pin )
Bride...Pinbot $1400
J. Mnemonic $1400
Monte Carlo $300
Ali $550
Bobby Orr $150
Jumping Jack $100

#2 11 years ago

wow really? those are some good deals, what general shape were they in? Black Knight for 700? thats a steal unless it was super beat.

#3 11 years ago

Were there any issues with the LOTR and SM?

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

wow really? those are some good deals, what general shape were they in? Black Knight for 700? thats a steal unless it was super beat.

Don't forget to add sales tax + 15% buyer's premium. Still not too bad though.

#5 11 years ago

Congrats on your pin!

#6 11 years ago

I have bought a couple pins from them in the past, but overall the quality of the pins is so horrid. VERY routed. I got my fishtales there for $1,200 and ended up putting $600 into it to make it halfway decent.

I hope ya got a nice deal!

Quite the sweet lineup of pins in the auction this time though! That prolly helped the deals. Normally they have about half that and the pins go market value, it's crazy/

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

what general shape were they in? Black Knight for 700? thats a steal unless it was super beat.

I'm no expert but they looked pretty decent for the most part though some did have issues. The Black Knight was pretty clean from what I could tell.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Were there any issues with the LOTR and SM?

Yes. The LOTR's dmd was totally out and the game wouldn't play though the playfield did light up. The auctioneer said "it could just be a fuse" and I literally laughed out loud.

The Spiderman wasn't set for free play during the inspection from what I could see. They turned it on once the auction started and it looked like everything lit up but I wasn't able to play it.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I got my fishtales there for $1,200 and ended up putting $600 into it to make it halfway decent.

I hope ya got a nice deal!

Thanks!

The cabinet has some fading and a lot of nicks and gouges, and the translite has some scuffs and scratches. As far as the play everything works great. One little light on the playfield out and that's it.

#10 11 years ago

Congrats... and that's a fair price I think for a routed but fully working FT.
I just picked one up to restore and I'm enjoying it too much to tear it down

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Kid_Inertia:

The auctioneer said "it could just be a fuse" and I literally laughed out loud.

Rob at Super Auctions used to say that all the time. Classic auctioneer BS.

#12 11 years ago

Auctions are somewhat entertaining/amusing, but I don't I'll buy at one ever.

#13 11 years ago

It's funny, on KLOV they are saying all the pins went for too much, and some of these went cheap actually.

#14 11 years ago

FYI if you bid online the buyers premium is even higher at 18%. I was bidding in lotr and sm till they went above my budget with the fee added In.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Kid_Inertia:

I attended the Captain's Auction in Anaheim this past Saturday. It was my first auction and I was able to take home my first pin ever.
Here are the hammer prices I jotted down for those interested.
South Park $2091
Tales...Crypt $1722
Elvis $2890
Black Knight $861
Lord...Rings $3444
Pinbot $1230
spiderman $4182
roadshow $1783
Fish Tales $1906
Bride...Pinbot $1722
J. Mnemonic $1722

Prices adjusted for 8 % sales tax and 15 % buyer premium...Now where are the deals, considering these are all likely heavily routed and in need of some attention.

#16 11 years ago

Better than some of the past auction hammer prices.

#17 11 years ago

good deal? Those prices are high for crappy auction games. people must have not known what they were doing and bidding high on stupid shit.

#18 11 years ago

Congrats on your FT!

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

good deal? Those prices are high for crappy auction games. people must have not known what they were doing and bidding high on stupid shit.

The problem w/ the Captains Auctions (for locals anyway) is that they do online bidding - so anyone anywhere can get in on the bidding....so, there's just NEVER a deal like a true local auction. Plus, the owners of the machines are usually their bidding up their own stuff. What amounts to terrible prices for collectors who want a decently priced game to restore is a "good deal" for flippers and retailers who will clean it up and charge double.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#20 11 years ago

My favorite item ever at that auction was a spiderman that went for $4,400. Fully and heavily routed looking. cracked ramp, just a mess. It was awesome! lol

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The problem w/ the Captains Auctions (for locals anyway) is that they do online bidding - so anyone anywhere can get in on the bidding....so, there's just NEVER a deal like a true local auction. Plus, the owners of the machines are usually their bidding up their own stuff. What amounts to terrible prices for collectors who want a decently priced game to restore is a "good deal" for flippers and retailers who will clean it up and charge double.

Very true! However, I have bid in person and online. I'm fairly confident biggest issue is the shill bidding. Same few people always jacking it up and I've seen same pin in there twice in a row a couple times.

#22 11 years ago

Any auction that allows shill bidding isn't really an auction, it's a scam. They should change the name to Captain's Scam.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from jay:

Any auction that allows shill bidding isn't really an auction, it's a scam.

Unfortunately, most do it now....The auction I attend (Auction Game Sales) almost encourages it with their pricing policy...And not shill bidding, but allowing the owner's of the machines to bid on their own machine. If an owner signs in a machine and it is sold, he has to pay 10% upto $100. However, if he buys it back by bidding on it, he only has to pay $10. It is completely unfair and the thinking by the auction house is that it will encourage sellers to bring more inventory if they can protect against low bids...But so what? I'd rather have fewer titles that will legitimately be auctioned than a 100 titles that the owners are bidding up the prices on.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Unfortunately, most do it now....The auction I attend (Auction Game Sales) almost encourages it with their pricing policy...And not shill bidding, but allowing the owner's of the machines to bid on their own machine. If an owner signs in a machine and it is sold, he has to pay 10% upto $100. However, if he buys it back by bidding on it, he only has to pay $10. It is completely unfair and the thinking by the auction house is that it will encourage sellers to bring more inventory if they can protect against low bids...But so what? I'd rather have fewer titles that will legitimately be auctioned than a 100 titles that the owners are bidding up the prices on.

Yups....and this is why auctions aren't fun anymore. When I first started going to auctions, the machines were legitimate leftovers from warehouses that someone wanted to get rid of. Whatever they went for, they went for...there was no vested interest there driving up the prices. Unfortunately most of my auction buying was VIDS...I wasn't quite into pins yet. Still - when I did get into pins, the prices at the auctions weren't bad...but that only lasted a year or two before it became the way it is now.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

...allowing the owner's of the machines to bid on their own machine.

That's exactly what shill bidding is. It certainly lives in a grey area of the law and appears to be legal provided the auction house clearly states that they accept bids from the seller, up to a pre-agreed upon reserve price. The problem is a matter of trust and I simply don't trust an auction house that uses this sort of technique as part of their proceedings, because there's simply too much room for fraud that would be difficult to prove at best, and impossible at worst.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from jay:

That's exactly what shill bidding is.

World English Dictionary
shill (ʃɪl)

— n
slang a confidence trickster's assistant, esp a person who poses as an ordinary customer, gambler, etc, in order to entice others to participate

That's why I differentiate traditional shill's with actually promoting a policy that allows owners to openly bid on their own machines. I usually think of shill as purposely deceitful. The owner's openly bidding are policy. Of course, most aren't aware of WHO the owner's are and so I agree...certainly a gray area.

#27 11 years ago

If seller's are allowed to upbid their own machines then buyers should maintain the right to downbid the pin upon closer inspection (due dilligence) or walk from it POST auction. Auctions are supposed to be "as-is, where is etc" and that gets removed with seller upbidding.

#28 11 years ago

What would the auctioneers do if you walked away from a pin post auction and did not pay?

What is the most they can do? Keep you from coming back in the future...

Only seems fair if you are being bid against by a shill or the actual owner.

1 week later
#29 11 years ago

Auctions don't need to engage in shill bidding when it comes to pins...prices are just high and going higher for dmd-era games, as everyone around here acknowledges. The owner of the Johnny Mnemonic at this auction was hoping to get $1,000 for it. I told him he was crazy and it would go to at least $1300, and it ended up going for more. People make stupid bids at auction - they see something in front of them and they want to "win". Add in the retail people who can jack up the price fivefold, and you have the current climate. Nothing untoward by the Captains people.

I hear about auctions in other parts of the country where the auctioneer won't let stuff go under a few hundred dollars and will just keep passing on lots if they don't get what they want. I've gotten vids at Captains for $15, $25, $35..even a giant 2-player cockpit for $75 with the owner standing right beside me. And you can still get good deals on non-DMD solid state pins. They just want to move product - get whatever they can and move on. Sure we all hate the internet bidding but it is what it is

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

If an owner signs in a machine and it is sold, he has to pay 10% upto $100. However, if he buys it back by bidding on it, he only has to pay $10.

This is how the auction place near me works too. Most pins there have been buybacks. And it is easy to overbid. I bought one at the last auction and bid $100 more than I said was my max. I got outbid by $25 and that upset me. So I bid another $25 and then repeated that process.

#31 11 years ago

i heard through the grapevine the spiderman was missing boards when the guy got it home...supposedly it was working before the auction.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yups....and this is why auctions aren't fun anymore. When I first started going to auctions, the machines were legitimate leftovers from warehouses that someone wanted to get rid of. Whatever they went for, they went for...there was no vested interest there driving up the prices. Unfortunately most of my auction buying was VIDS...I wasn't quite into pins yet. Still - when I did get into pins, the prices at the auctions weren't bad...but that only lasted a year or two before it became the way it is now.

yup, and years ago, that's the way there were around here too. Thurs night at 2am, you'd get pins, for $10 a piece. Old SS stuff, unknown working or not. Get a lot of 3 of them for $25, just to get them the hell out of there. That shit went away, when they moved it to saturday mornings and started advertising, and having people buy their stuff back. They shouldn't allow that. If they want a reserve. Make them put the reserve on the game so people know, and don't hang around for a machine they have interest in. Super auctions around here did the ghost bidding scam. They arn't in business anymore either. scammers.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Super auctions around here did the ghost bidding scam. They arn't in business anymore either. scammers.

Super Auctions is still in business. They just had to take a little hiatus because their checks to the sellers were bouncing Apparently no longer an issue...

As for ghost bids, shill bids, whatever you want to call them...you guys need to realize that if these auctions were truly absolute/no reserve then you would only have junk appearing at them. After a few auctions of that, the auction house will have made no money and very few customers willing to come back. The only reason you see hundreds of working/valuable games at these auctions is because the sellers know they won't get totally hosed.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Super Auctions is still in business. They just had to take a little hiatus because their checks to the sellers were bouncing Apparently no longer an issue...
As for ghost bids, shill bids, whatever you want to call them...you guys need to realize that if these auctions were truly absolute/no reserve then you would only have junk appearing at them. After a few auctions of that, the auction house will have made no money and very few customers willing to come back. The only reason you see hundreds of working/valuable games at these auctions is because the sellers know they won't get totally hosed.

We all recognize that there needs to be protection for the seller. But it needs to be up front in the form of reserves, not in the form of shady shill bidding or owner buybacks. As a buyer, I should not have to wonder if I'm bidding against the owner of the machine. Imagine any other auction like Barrett's operating like that.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

We all recognize that there needs to be protection for the seller. But it needs to be up front in the form of reserves, not in the form of shady shill bidding or owner buybacks. As a buyer, I should not have to wonder if I'm bidding against the owner of the machine. Imagine any other auction like Barrett's operating like that.

What difference does it really make if there is a reserve or the seller is bidding, other than extra work for the auction company? Generally, a seller has a price that they're willing to sell at, just as the buyer has a price they're willing to pay. The current system usually works in the buyer's favor anyways. Often times a seller has reasons for needing to sell machines, even if the price is lower than he wanted, so he'll get out earlier. Or, he may approach the bidder later and offer to sell for less (even though this screws the auction company). Or, as has happened to me many times, a seller won't pay attention to one of their machines being auctioned off, as it throws an error or is tampered with by an unscrupulous bidder. On the flip side, I can tell you that very few sellers at these auctions are bidding their own machines higher than what they originally wanted to try and get more from potential bidders/buyers -- the market for most games isn't that good.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

What difference does it really make if there is a reserve or the seller is bidding, other than extra work for the auction company?

It makes a HUGE difference....It's called ethics and a fair playing field. I've been going to auctions for 10 years so I know Green Coin and the other major sellers in my area and I can recognize them and their cronies when they are bidding on a machine. But Joe Blow public doesn't have that benefit, so they get caught up with bidding against the owner. If they were informed that they are bidding against the seller, vs just another prospective buyer, I guarantee their bidding strategy would be different. I know mine is.

Tell me....Are you okay with Ebay seller's having multiple ID's and bidding up their own auctions? Ebay isn't (although it happens), and EVERYONE protests it. But it's the exact same principle.

#37 11 years ago

Roadshow seems like a deal.

#38 11 years ago

Hey robertmee, what are the rules for the one in Winston?

As both a buyer and a seller, what do I need to know about the fees and bidding and stuff?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 63.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
$ 25.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captains-auction-warehouse-91512 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.