IMG_8084 (resized).JPG
IMG_8082 (resized).JPG
IMG_8081 (resized).JPG
IMG_8080 (resized).JPG
IMG_8079 (resized).JPG
IMG_8076 (resized).JPG
IMG_8077 (resized).JPG
2014-09-22 newRail.png
There are 394 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 11 years ago

Hi all Nemo fans,

I don't know about you but I am now irreversibly committed with €1475 wired today...
Got #13

3 weeks later
#102 11 years ago

An article in Pinball news with an update on the Nemo Project:
http://www.pinballnews.com/games/captainnemo/index3.html

#103 11 years ago

Me too.. Sent my deposit in last week. Thanks for the update.

Antonio, I was wondering. Will each game come with a flyer? that would be nice!

Dan
Nemo #17
Pred #30/64

#104 11 years ago

are these sold out? how much is US shipping and duty?

#105 11 years ago

Nice update jlm33

#106 11 years ago

looks awesome, congrats to the owners.

#107 11 years ago

looks interesting but... looks like there is next to nothing on the playfield to actually HIT. I see a bank of 4 drop targets on the left and 2 stationary targets in the middle. two ramps return directly to flippers, two loop shots. nothing else to do?? seems odd the ramps return directly to the flippers when you have nothing to aim at.

what am I missing?

#108 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

are these sold out? how much is US shipping and duty?

I think they are. Ten of the thirty are heading stateside. From what I understand, there is no duty and shipping might be $600 or more.

Quoted from BloodyCactus:

looks interesting but... looks like there is next to nothing on the playfield to actually HIT. I see a bank of 4 drop targets on the left and 2 stationary targets in the middle. two ramps return directly to flippers, two loop shots. nothing else to do?? seems odd the ramps return directly to the flippers when you have nothing to aim at.
what am I missing?

I have thought the same, yet I decided to go with it since there are some innovative features to the game, it is a low production game and I really like the artwork and theme. I am sure like all games, the subtlety of game play may be more than what is viewable on the playfield.

Dan

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

I think they are. Ten of the thirty are heading stateside.
Dan

Unsure about this. I guess Pre-orders were sold out... but since then people had to pay 1/3 upfront. This could have opened a few spots. Worth checking with Antonio if interested.

Quoted from MrWizzo:

I have thought the same, yet I decided to go with it since there are some innovative features to the game, it is a low production game and I really like the artwork and theme.

I love the theme and artwork as well ! I was born in the home town of Jules Verne (Nantes).

Quoted from MrWizzo:

I am sure like all games, the subtlety of game play may be more than what is viewable on the playfield.

Hopefully... and remember that code will be open source, and that we can propose, design and implement innovations and updates as well. For example, I was thinking about some oxygen level while diving - somehow the player would have to hit the surface (whatever that means for the game) at regular intervals.

#110 11 years ago
Quoted from BloodyCactus:

what am I missing?

That true, it is a "simple" layout because I decided that way and I did not want a main toy (the toy is the playfield screen with posible multiple mini-games), and it is posible it dislike you, but usually pinballs are not too much complex.

From left to right we have:
- Four drop targets (NEMO)
- Subway (Gulf stream)
- Captive ball (Extinct volcano)
- Loop ramp (Maelstrom)
- Left loop (Arabian Tunnel)
- Standup target (Underwater forest)
- Standup target (The bay of vigo)
- Ramp (Antartica)
- Right loop (Torres straits)
- Capture ball (Atlantis)

#111 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Right

#112 11 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Unsure about this. I guess Pre-orders were sold out... but since then people had to pay 1/3 upfront. This could have opened a few spots. Worth checking with Antonio if interested.

I love the theme and artwork as well ! I was born in the home town of Jules Verne (Nantes).

Hopefully... and remember that code will be open source, and that we can propose, design and implement innovations and updates as well. For example, I was thinking about some oxygen level while diving - somehow the player would have to hit the surface (whatever that means for the game) at regular intervals.

True. there are always drop offs when it comes time to ante up!

Love the oxygen idea! A renewable hurry up by hitting a select shot while searching for some underwater artifacts to complete a mode. Very cool! Hit the wrong shot and lose air with a animation of struggling with a squid on the pf display!

Cup the ball to reorient (causing no switch registers) and watch the depth gauge drop to a point where you may not have enough oxygen to surface.

Quoted from aortuno:

MrWizzo said:

Right

Nice!

Dan

#113 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

True. there are always drop offs when it comes time to ante up!
Love the oxygen idea! A renewable hurry up by hitting a select shot while searching for some underwater artifacts to complete a mode. Very cool! Hit the wrong shot and lose air with a animation of struggling with a squid on the pf display!

In the same line: here is a proposal for an "Abyss multiball". Try to dive as deep as possible, collect valuable samples...and make it back to the surface.

Principle: once multiball starts, oxygen level decreases with time. You may dive as deep as you want: each time you hit the same spot / ramp / target you go deeper. The deeper you get, the higher your playfield multiplier. But this bonus will only be added to your score if you make it back to the surface (another target or ramp may help going up).

You can still get the bonus after multiball provided that
- you reach the surface
- you still have one ball left
- you still have some oxygen.

There should be some dramatic animation / warning sirens once your oxygen reaches critical level... And some special reward to the player who went the deepest...and came back!

#114 11 years ago

I hope this kind of quality is the future of pinball.

#115 11 years ago

The more Pinball Makers there are, the more they ALL have to ramp up their game! Love it!

#116 11 years ago

I'm not an expert but this pin looks retro layout like a pin from the late 80s aside from the LCD, seems to be more of a simplified layout. Overall tho very nice looking art and music and great theme.

#117 11 years ago

Antonio:

Looking over the playfield layout, a couple questions.

The apron seems larger than on most games. Does this shrink the effective length of the playfield or make the bottom of the playfield a steeper longer VEE between the flippers? What is the measurement of the outside edges of the apron?

What was behind the decision to make the two side of the playfield exclusive with no complete orbit shot designed into the game?

Thanks,

Dan

3 months later
#118 11 years ago

More pictures and schemes from Antonio - posted with his permission - and list of shots, from left to right:
• NEMO Drop targets
• Gulf Stream (subway)
• Extinct volcano (captive ball)
• Maelstrom (left ramp)
• White oblong target (HERA)
• Torres Straits (loop)
• Underwater forest (round green target)
• Bay of Vigo (round yellow target)
• White oblong target (CLES)
• Antartica (right ramp)
• Torres Straits (go to the bumpers)
• Atlantis (ball lock)
• The lower lanes spell the word FIRE
• Upper lanes spell the word SEA

playfield.pngplayfield.png

#119 11 years ago

Might have seen this one already...

playfield0630.pngplayfield0630.png

#120 11 years ago

Thanks for the playfield-pic and shot-layout.
It looks nice.

#121 11 years ago

Cool Theme for sure - If I had been around when announced I might've jumped on board.

How close to completion? Then when do people in US see arrivals?

#122 11 years ago
Quoted from GUMBO:

Cool Theme for sure - If I had been around when announced I might've jumped on board.
How close to completion? Then when do people in US see arrivals?

First, Antonio told me there are a few spots available. So you can try to contact him via his website if interested.

From what I recall, the 30 machines will be produced in three batches so people will see their machines depending on whether they were on the first third, middle or last. There has been some delays due to problems with playfield wood, but Antonio is expecting the PF within a few weeks. I do not know how long it may takes once he gets the PF, but delivery within a few months seems possible.

I was among the first to join and will definitively bragg about it as soon as the machine is home ! (and even before ) so you will know!

#123 11 years ago

Some images from the LCD screen...

diver.jpgdiver.jpg nautilus.jpgnautilus.jpg sink.jpgsink.jpg sink.jpgsink.jpg tunnel.jpgtunnel.jpg vulcano.jpgvulcano.jpg

#124 11 years ago

The game is really beautiful. I think it's up there with the best looking machines ever. Hey jlm, do you have any inside scoop on the sound package past what is available in the YouTube clips? I like metal just fine, but man, not THAT metal. I think that'd really ruin the experience for me.

#125 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

The game is really beautiful. I think it's up there with the best looking machines ever. Hey jlm, do you have any inside scoop on the sound package past what is available in the YouTube clips? I like metal just fine, but man, not THAT metal. I think that'd really ruin the experience for me.

From what I understood, you can change the music rather easily. Code will be open source. Ask Antonio!
Might even try classical music for a while...and of course, the Beatles' yellow submarine

#126 11 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

From what I understood, you can change the music rather easily. Code will be open source. Ask Antonio!
Might even try classical music for a while...and of course, the Beatles' yellow submarine

Yeah, I just read that after I posted the question. Hmm. I wonder if every switch can also be programmed? I like the nautical "dings" but in the most current video I can find, it's still a fairly... thin? audio package.

I think my Mom's pretty much in the pinball zone now, she LOVES Verne's 40,000 Leagues and she's got piles more money than I do. However, she despises metal. Do you know if anyone is already working on alternate packages? I mean customers and such.

#127 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Yeah, I just read that after I posted the question. Hmm. I wonder if every switch can also be programmed? I like the nautical "dings" but in the most current video I can find, it's still a fairly... thin? audio package.
I think my Mom's pretty much in the pinball zone now, she LOVES Verne's 40,000 Leagues and she's got piles more money than I do. However, she despises metal. Do you know if anyone is already working on alternate packages? I mean customers and such.

I doubt a commercial package may be released due to copyright issues. But you can basically do what you want on your own machine... and exchange ideas/songs with owners, provided it is not an official "Quetzal pinball" offer.

By the way, concerning Jules Verne: ever saw that 1995 Spanish pin in the US ?
Verne's World / IPD No. 4619

#128 11 years ago

Wo, no! Never heard of that. Thanks, I'll check it out.

We seem to have similar tastes in machines. You played it? Any fun?

#129 11 years ago

I've spent the last hour or more checking this game out. The most recent game play video shows very little in the way of software. That has me worried. I dig the open source model a lot, but what I'm not getting is are we supposed to come up with everything on our own? I love jlm's dive mode idea, but, is what we're getting here mostly a big beautiful pinball hardwire set and we're supposed to program it? Is that part of the low cost?

I'm not knocking it, but with the video on the home page of the company website basically showing no modes, no shot tracking, etc... I'm left confused. That screen is so beautifully integrated into the playfield, but it appears to not do much.

Do folks on the list have access to information we don't?

EDIT: Is there a diverter or something I'm not seeing on the right orbit shot? Of not, how do you ever score those lanes? Trust the pops?

#130 11 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

By the way, concerning Jules Verne: ever saw that 1995 Spanish pin in the US ?
Verne's World / IPD No. 4619

Quoted from navajas:

Wo, no! Never heard of that. Thanks, I'll check it out.

We seem to have similar tastes in machines. You played it? Any fun?

Verne's World is awesome, but very rare. Only 7 known to exist, currently. Unfortunately mine is out of commision for a while, and I can't wait to get it going again.

Anyway, the music in the game is really cool and might be worth installing in Nemo...if you can find someone that can do that sort of thing.

#131 11 years ago

Sounds like my Mom's got a better shot at Nemo then!

EDIT: So. Uhm... what are people's thoughts about this playfield material?

#132 11 years ago

This is a pretty darn impressive effort. I love the open source code. The possibilities are endless.

#133 11 years ago

I would not call this machine low cost, but I am unsure of the object of comparison? I do believe Antonio is programming all of the modes, but there are endless opportunities because the code is open source. Thus, others can change/add code if desired.
I am very excited about the game and am looking forward to getting to play it whenever it is 'finished'.

#134 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

We seem to have similar tastes in machines

Yep!

Quoted from navajas:

You played it? Any fun?

Sadly no. There is one currently for sale in Spain on Pinballowners, this is how I found it !

#135 11 years ago

Hi, I will tell more about this project to try to resolve the doubts that have emerged.
This project, if I am not mistaken, is the smallest of all the projects that have emerged.
In short, Ruben made the backglass, Gustavo (which is very important in this project) has made the cabinet arts, the playfield arts, animations and plastics arts (which are to be modified by some more elaborate), and I did / am doing the rest of the project: playfield design, cabinet design, control system (QPC), metal parts design (ramps, guides, ...) , programming, project management, taxes, ... a big big amout of things to do, but the important is that we have brought forward.
The problem with being a small project, is that I have to manufacture under order, but I can not lose orders, so to order, is necessary a payment of one third of the price.

As for the music, I think the heavy metal feels very good to pinball (just look at the sales of AC / DC or Metallica). Fortunately, being an open source project, will be easy to modify everything (music, fx, rules, ...)
This mean, that you can modify it if you want it, but it is not necessary, because It will be delivery with the rules complete, besides I will support it.
Well, I know some of you "hate" this music, so I am working on an alternative soundtrack (similar to Pirates of the Caribbean), ... but until a few weeks I will not give more details (after always inform my customers)

About programming. The original code, was based on finite states, was changed to petri nets, and finally it is a mix of Java classes with finite states.
But to give you an idea, here are the rules I am working on:

The playfield from left to right:

NEMO Drop targets
Gulf Stream (subway)
Extinct volcano (captive ball)
Maelstrom (left ramp)
White oblong target (HERA)
Torres Straits (loop)
Underwater forest (round green target)
Bay of Vigo (round yellow target)
White oblong target (CLES)
Antartica (right ramp)
Torres Straits (go to the bumpers)
Atlantis (ball lock)

The lower lanes spell the word FIRE
Upper lanes spell the word SEA

The aim of the game is completing 15 missions (most missions are timed - 20 to 30 seconds) and face the kraken.

The missions are divided into three groups

Nautilus
Protect the sea
Underwater treasures

The missions of each group is activated with the captive ball, green target and yellow target respectively, and bumpers hit change the next mission.
Nautilus (captive ball)

The goal is to get all parts of the submarine.

Engine by Krupp - Lock the ball on the subway to start the mini video game “extinct volcano”
Spur by the Motala workshops - 3 loops and go to the bumpers
Precision instruments by Hart Bros - captive ball, 2 white targets and captive ball
The sheet-iron plates by Laird's - sequence: Atlantis, Gulf Stream and Antarctic.
Tanks by Cail & Co - 4 ramps alternatives

Protect the sea (green target)

the aim is protecting the seas and hold harmless the Nautilus

Secret passage. Mini video game that starts when lock the ball in atlantis
Battle with the unknown vessel.
2 ball multiball. Start with the right ramp. The goal is to hit the captive ball, green and yellow targets 3 times each.
Save the whales. The goal is to direct the whales to a safe place.
Send the ball to the bumpers. Each bumper's hit is a whale and are collected with the right ramp.
Escaping the ice. Right ramp to start the mission. Hit the ball captive, green and red targets.
The Sargasso Sea. Mission begins with the gulf stream. Get 25 hits on the bumpers (timer stop when the ball is in the bumpers).

Underwater treasures

A Pearl Worth Ten Million. Mini video game diver.
Treasures of the Vigo of Bay. 3 lefts ramps within the stipulated time.
A lost continent. Sequence: Gulf Stream, left ramp and atlantis.
The coral realm. Two loops and two ramps.
The temple of Heracles. Hit 4 white targets.

KRAKEN - Final Mission

6 ball multiball

The aim is defeating the kraken
Keep the yellow and green targets and the captive ball activated (turned off every 20 seconds)
Performs all shots 2 times to defeat the kraken.
The jackpot (ramps) and bonus (loop) are activated for 10 seconds
Restarts the fight against another kraken

Start a ball

We have 4 options:

Win a prize
Activate mini video game “sink the vessel” (active for 8 seconds)
Lock ball in the subway for “Abyss multiball”
Skillshot
Send the ball to the left ramp
Super skillshot if you shot the right ramp
Jackpot is activated (two ramps) for 10 seconds.

Abyss Multiball

concept by Jean-Louis Mergny

The aim is getting to the seabed and return to the surface to win an extra ball.

Activated when the white targets are hit (HERA - CLES).
Lock 2 balls in the subway
Multiball starts with the right ramp
The left ramp descends, and the right ascend

Sink the vessel

Complete the word FIRE 3 times to activate the mini video game “sink the vessel”
Super bumpers

Complete NEMO twice and send the ball to the bumpers
Special

Complete super bumpers
Complete SEA 7 times

I am programming the rules using the debug mode (I can interact with all elements of pinball with the mouse: activate, show the name, position ...) and also used in the diagnosis of problems.

captura.pngcaptura.png

Why not use the prototype, because the playfield has evolved, gone from 54cm to 51.5cm (the standard), have been adjusting the position of the targets, posts, ...
Youtube videos was recorded last year, and I have done a lot of work since then (much invisible work) but in the past EPC (European Pinball Championship, Sep 2012) it was "playable", and for example, the automatic highscore upload (to my website) was functional.

Right now, I am waiting Mirco (Highclasspinballs) manufactures the playfield (I decided it not long ago so I am very grateful). When I receive the playfield, I will test the new sets of plastics, metal guides and ramps, ... I will order all these pieces, It will take about two to three weeks. Then I will manufacture the first pinballs and finally get the CE certificate, and start to delivery.

And yes, I still have some free spots.

#136 11 years ago

yes this is an *amazing* project...wish I was as smart as Antonio....Jpop

#137 11 years ago
Quoted from aortuno:

Hi, this is my awesome pinball machine.

Wow. Uhm. Ok, need to go relay some information. Thanks for the mega post. Game looks great!

EDIT: I don't suppose anyone on the list is anywhere near the West coast of North America?

#138 11 years ago
Quoted from aortuno:

Then I will manufacture the first pinballs and finally get the CE certificate.

Good luck with the European bureaucrats

Do you need a similar procedure to export overseas?

#139 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

yes this is an *amazing* project...wish I was as smart as Antonio....Jpop

Many thanks John ... but you have the magic

Quoted from jlm33:

Good luck with the European bureaucrats
Do you need a similar procedure to export overseas?

Hope it is not too complicated ... for USA is necessary get the FCC certificate, but I will try to obtain both at the same time (CE and FCC are similar)

#140 11 years ago

You may want to call Jack G. at Jersey Jack. I think the CE certificate has been a bit of an issue for them from what I'm told.

#141 11 years ago

Is there certification needed for everything? Even imported items? Like, for example, I bought some neons, they came from china, they're not certified by anyone.

Now, I understand if those same neons burn my house down, the insurance company would probably fight me on it. I would think the same is true for a pinball.

For something as small run as this, it just might be one of those things people have to accept. in JJP's case, he is making a commercially operated product, and it would limit his buyers if it wasn't certified.

#142 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Is there certification needed for everything? Even imported items? Like, for example, I bought some neons, they came from china, they're not certified by anyone.
Now, I understand if those same neons burn my house down, the insurance company would probably fight me on it. I would think the same is true for a pinball.
For something as small run as this, it just might be one of those things people have to accept. in JJP's case, he is making a commercially operated product, and it would limit his buyers if it wasn't certified.

You're right, everything needs a certificate, and exists a lot of certificates: UL, FCC, CE, ... although depending on the device is possible to self-certify, but it is not possible with pinballs.
We must demonstrate through laboratory testing that does not emit EMF, or not affected it, is safe for the user (will not be electrocuted), ...

In theory, it is not legal to sell or purchase non-certified products (customs may stop and destroy these products)

Sometimes it's too much bureaucracy, but we have to follow the norms

#143 11 years ago

Hope to play this one day as it looks amazing and great theme. I read there will be 2 multiball and end of game Kraken 6 multiball. Will there be a 3 or 4 multiball as well in the game? Anything similar to the movie 20,000 leagues under the sea. I love that video modes are in the game.

#144 11 years ago

looks great and coming along nice. Can't wait to see this one in action.

#145 11 years ago

Hi aortuno. I don't know if this has been answered before but can I ask what we can expect to hear in the way of sfx and call outs in the finished game? Also will the music just play continuously over the top of everything or stop, start and change depending on which modes, shots are being achieved?

Deja Vu? Yeah, I asked the exact same question yesterday to Andy H about Full Throttle.

#146 11 years ago
Quoted from aortuno:

As for the music, I think the heavy metal feels very good to pinball (just look at the sales of AC / DC or Metallica). Fortunately, being an open source project, will be easy to modify everything (music, fx, rules, ...)
This mean, that you can modify it if you want it, but it is not necessary, because It will be delivery with the rules complete, besides I will support it.
Well, I know some of you "hate" this music, so I am working on an alternative soundtrack (similar to Pirates of the Caribbean), ... but until a few weeks I will not give more details (after always inform my customers)

Antonio:

I am not sure the sales of AC/DC or Metallica are pertinent to Nemo as it is such a small boutique run and need not appeal to the masses to be profitable.

In my opinion, I think that metal to a degree cheapens the game. It is a classic work of literature, and you and your group have done such an exemplary job of design and art that the games deserves something along more classic value. I am glad that you are making other soundtracks available, and who knows I have eclectic taste in music, but I doubt I will warm up to metal.

Verne's Nemo was a refined gentleman looking to leave the crudity of the world. I doubt he would be listening to metal. It may fit some tastes, but doesn't seem to the the theme of the game.

It would be nice if you made available for those of us who lack the ability to do so ourselves, a soundtrack that reflects selections from the musical era that Vernes' novel reflects. That is consistent with the theme.

I am looking forward to the game. I will be a true labor of love and will be beautiful!

Thanks for your efforts.

Dan

#147 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Antonio:
I am not sure the sales of AC/DC or Metallica are pertinent to Nemo as it is such a small boutique run and need not appeal to the masses to be profitable.
In my opinion, I think that metal to a degree cheapens the game. It is a classic work of literature, and you and your group have done such an exemplary job of design and art that the games deserves something along more classic value. I am glad that you are making other soundtracks available, and who knows I have eclectic taste in music, but I doubt I will warm up to metal.
Verne's Nemo was a refined gentleman looking to leave the crudity of the world. I doubt he would be listening to metal. It may fit some tastes, but doesn't seem to the the theme of the game.
It would be nice if you made available for those of us who lack the ability to do so ourselves, a soundtrack that reflects selections from the musical era that Vernes' novel reflects. That is consistent with the theme.
Dan

Although I do not mind metal, an alternative soundtrack(s) one could choose when starting a game would be great. Nemo could also fit well with classical music - which is often free of rights !
Might be great to change - playing the same game with different sounds might actually change the way you play. As if you were owning different games...I might get different stats when listening to Heinrich Schutz St John's passion and Hitten...

#148 11 years ago

No trendy alternative shit. Make it like Castlevania the game which has great music or Ninga Gaiden. Still want these pins made as well.

#149 11 years ago

I agree. Maybe I'm swayed by really not liking that kind of music but it doesn't suit the theme at all either. I'd prefer to hear something more traditionally gamey or pinbally. There is a difference between music that was made to be listened to and music that is made to accompany a game of pinball.

#150 11 years ago

or perhaps an alternate track of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor to follow what Captain Nemo played in 20,000 leagues. Plenty of cool elements in that song for pinball. I can just imagine it....

Not meaning to change your vision of your game, since it looks quite awesome!

There are 394 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-nemo-by-quetzal-pinball/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.