CF switch stack (resized).jpg
6c compressed (resized).jpg
scm11 (resized).jpg
scm11 closed (resized).jpg
scm6 (resized).jpeg
Bally switches (resized).JPG
CF drop targets reset (resized).JPG
CF targets down relay connected (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamdrunker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Speck:

I picked up a Captain Fantastic today and I can't get it to start up. If I put a coin in, the score motor starts turning, then the a metal piece by the right coin slot moves in and out and the process continues. It will just continue to run like this until I turn it off. Are there any simple fixes or does this require removing and cleaning the score motor?

You're in good hands but let me know if you need some photos.

#16 1 year ago

Personally, the first thing I do is to take to 4 bolts out of the relay board and clean and save all the parts and labels that fell off the playfield. It's kinda fun too.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Speck:

That's my plan for tomorrow - I'm going to remove the board, clean everything up, clean the contacts. it's a pretty mucky machine but it's got a lot of potential. I have some worry about the 1 and 2 player relays on the back box. they're a little suspect, not smooth and one of the leaf switches looks a little bent. I've never messed with leaf switches before so I'm a little hesitant to bend it back, they're barely making contact.
[quoted image]

Get a switch adjusting tool and keep it handy. you will need it.

#19 1 year ago

You can get in trouble if you try adjusting things without knowing its purpose. Try to understand the schematic. they are tough, no doubt but with HowardR and the other great people here you will get through it. They know the sequence of how the machine works from the schematic. HowardR knew where the Relay coil was just from the schematic. All I guess is what I like to do is when they answer a question for me, I look at the schematic and try to understand how they figured it out. Then that's when I realize you EM people just understand it so well, but it just makes sense after you follow their advice and look at what they are seeing from the schematic. I just got my Gulfstream working great after disassembling and cleaning every stepper unit, then suddenly a relay would not relax. I'm thinking there should be nothing keeping this coil energized, then after a couple nights I remembered a relay can get magnetized and hold on to itself. took that damn thing and cleaned it and all is good. It's Friday, I'm on my second and now I'm just rambling.

#21 1 year ago

Dusty? well I guess a little, as long as its dry. a properly adjusted switch will have the 2 blades slightly rubbing against one another. This will keep the contacts clean and dust free at the point of contact. after adjusting and Flex stone (If needed) I like to clean the contacts with a strip of business card material or sim. dipped in alcohol. I'm sure you've read that a lot around here. Are your stepper units operating smoothly when you manually operate them? If they are gummy from old WD40 and not operating properly they will cause the helpers around here (like Howared3 and others) more time to figure stuff out. including the score reels as they are also a stepper. They need to work well. slide them out and make sure the switches are working as they should if not the score motor will run continuously because the EOS switch in the score reel isn't telling the score relay to de-energize thus telling the score reel to stop.

#45 1 year ago

Are the springs that pull down the drop targets fulling pulling down the targets? There are two switches for each drop target. Are we sure the springs are dropping the hit targets to activate the bottom switch? I'm a bit laze and haven't fully read your issue but when I worked on my Capt. the drop target box needed some TLC. Here is the drop target relay with the white and blue wire that goes to the drop target coil. Drop some targets, Press on the relay. See if it fires the drop target coil and raises the targets back up.

16709065211327112512190552664729 (resized).jpg16709065211327112512190552664729 (resized).jpg16709068390796786483267684662463 (resized).jpg16709068390796786483267684662463 (resized).jpg16709069236254359389883308209806 (resized).jpg16709069236254359389883308209806 (resized).jpg
#46 1 year ago

And many times, there will be two wires going to a lug. It's just a convenient way or place to attach two wires to keep the load or line going. Just like a schematic will show.

2 weeks later
#77 1 year ago

Mine has that bar also. Those are the contacts. That type has more surface area.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iamdrunker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-wont-start-up?tu=iamdrunker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.