Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by beelyhol
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 1 year ago

I had my Captain Fantastic working fairly well except for the upper flippers not working, so I ordered parts and completely rebuilt one of them. When I put everything back together initially, lots of lights and sounds started cycling, so I turned it off to look for anything obvious. I found nothing I could determine to be the culprit. I was a bit downcast had other commitments, so walked away from the machine for a couple of months.

Yesterday I started it up to get back to work on it and now the lights come on the playfield and back glass, but nothing else happens when I push the start button - there are 14 credits available. The three fuses on the side panel and the one in the bottom well are all intact.

When replacing the flipper assembly I removed the playfield and laid it upside down on long table, but I don't think this caused any damage (if this was not advisable is there something in particular I can look for from doing this?). I was very careful to solder the flipper wires back exactly the way they were and to connect everything back up correctly. I am thinking I may have bent a switch or maybe disconnected something, but am a loss to find it.

Please let me know where I can start to determine what the issue is. I don't remember exactly what was cycling thru on the first start up, but now there is just nothing when pushing the new game button.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

#2 1 year ago

Exactly how far is it getting in the reset sequence starting on page 2 of the manual?

https://www.ipdb.org/files/438/Bally_1976_Capt_Fantastic_and_The_Brown_Dirt_Cowboy_English_Manual_no_schematics.pdf

#3 1 year ago

When switch is turned on, playfield and back glass lights come on; nothing happens when quarter is inserted, i.e., credit doesn't advance, nor when player button is pressed - dead silence

#4 1 year ago

What happens if you trip the coin relay or reset relay manually with your finger?

#5 1 year ago

Check the coin switches for a wire that came off of the switch nc or c lug, keeping the score motor from running. Resolder if needed.
Is the score motor in one of its two home positions. Manually turn cam to see if it gets back to a home position. Home position is needed to start a new game.

#6 1 year ago

Will be trying these suggestions this weekend, thank you!

#7 1 year ago

Some temporary success! Turned the score motor cam to what appeared to be a home position (I am kinda new to this and guessing at a lot of it) and pressed the reset button and the game reset, so I ran a ball thru - the bumpers and rollovers were scoring, but then after sending the ball back up with the flippers everything except the lighting went dead again.
While I was overjoyed and wanted to keep working, the wife was asleep in the adjacent room, so let it rest for the night. I don't know if my YES! yell or the machine sounds woke her up, but best for my health to wait to fight another day.
Will try same again tomorrow - Thank You!

#8 1 year ago

Chicken, buy her better ear plugs.

#9 1 year ago

i got her 3M Skull Screws, but she won't drill 'em in far enough

#10 1 year ago

In some relay circuits that involves the score motor running, the circuit may not need a complete 180 degrees to complete its function.
If the function gets completed at let’s say 150 degrees and score motor power is disengaged, a switch on the home position cam is needed to keep the score motor running for those 30 degrees needed to find a home position.
This switch is usually referred to as the runout switch. It’s usually located on the first cam and the sometimes located as the top switch in the stack. The schematic shows the switch as cam 1 switch E. Clean and adjust switch if needed.

#11 1 year ago

Will clean & adjust that switch, but, have an update - when reset after putting the cam motor in a start position, the flippers don't work and only some of the bumpers and rollovers work: the three top lane switches work, but the bonus doesn't advance;
the two rollovers on top work, but the side ones don't;
the targets both work;
the three center pop bumpers don't work;
the rollover switches for the right return and out lanes work, but the ones on the left don't
Note that the very first time I reset after manually turning the start motor cam, the flippers worked a couple of times, but since then none of them work at all and if i turn the machine off, i have to reset the start motor cam each time to get it to reset
When resetting, there is only one sound, not a series of sounds as if everything is resetting like it used to when it was functional

#12 1 year ago

Update: out of the blue with me doing nothing (not intentionally at least), the flippers are now working.
However, the kicker does not send the ball out of the outhole and I still have to turn the score motor cam manually to get a reset.

#13 1 year ago

What's the condition of playfield cable Jones plugs? If there are signs of corrosion, try cleaning the plugs and sockets.

#14 1 year ago

I have previously cleaned the plugs and sockets, but will take another look and reseat them since I had disconnected them when I removed the playfield to work on the flipper. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-won-t-start-after-replacing-full-flipper-assembly?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.