• Latest reply 3 years ago by Dan63
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi everybody,

I am looking at a Captain Fantastic game, it's the commercial version. Seller claims everything works and look like it's in good shape. So....any thoughts on what a fair offer price should be. He's asking $2200.00 seems kind of high to me, but what do you think.

Thanks !!

#2 6 years ago

They seem to be going up in price all the time. To me it's not much more than a $600 or $700 game, but I sold one for about $1000 a couple years ago, and I saw one in decent shape go for around $2000 plus fees at the last auction. There are people that do want this game and pay good money for it

#3 6 years ago

Yea I played it a lot when I was a kid, so that is why I am looking at it. Plus it's close by so I can pick it up in half a day.

#4 6 years ago

I played it a lot too mostly because it was the easiest game out there to win a replay on. I suggest you play it again wherever you can before you invest good money in it. The gameplay may underwhelm you now.

#5 6 years ago

I have taken that into consideration. It's a tough decision. Can't really afford to buy any of the more expensive games. I was hoping he might take 15 or 16 for it.

#6 6 years ago

That's better than over $2000 for sure. The less you can get it for the easier it would be to sell later on. Condition is king and if it has a super nice playfield and backglass then it will also be easier to find a buyer down the road.

If the playfield is worn to the wood or planking, I wouldn't risk paying too much.

#7 6 years ago

Unfortunately, here in Iowa, there isn't much of a selection of used machines for sale. So you have to take what you can get and I would rather not have to pay to have something shipped due to damage risk. Would rather pick it up myself and see it first hand.

#8 6 years ago

The backglass for CF seems to hold up pretty well so its usually not an issue. The playfield wears pretty heavily through the middle inserts along with the top arch.

I bought a non working model with a 8/10 playfield and 10/10 backglass needing a total cabinet rebuild and mechanical rebuild for $800 two years ago. I have $1500 into it total not including labor and wouldn't let it go for anything less than $1800 if that helps.

To me, it's a $900 - $2200 game.

Hope this helps.

#9 6 years ago

One of the worst playing games ever. The only good thing is the backglass artwork, just like Nitro Ground Shaker. Personally I stay away from the game as there hard to resell, like the last one I had which was very nice and working all the way....I struggled to get $800 out of it. On average it's nothing more then a $600 game.

John

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

The backglass for CF seems to hold up pretty well so its usually not an issue. The playfield wears pretty heavily through the middle inserts along with the top arch.
I bought a non working model with a 8/10 playfield and 10/10 backglass needing a total cabinet rebuild and mechanical rebuild for $800 two years ago. I have $1500 into it total not including labor and wouldn't let it go for anything less than $1800 if that helps.
Hope this helps.

Why would you sell it for less than you have invested in it? Just curious.

#11 6 years ago

Well part of the reason I am looking at it is mostly to relive my childhood.

Probably not a good way to spend money, but what the heck. (I know what my wife would think about the whole idea) I think I will at least take the 2 hour drive to look at it.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

You could always just go out and buy some Hot Wheels.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

One of the worst playing games ever. The only good thing is the backglass artwork, just like Nitro Ground Shaker. Personally I stay away from the game as there hard to resell, like the last one I had which was very nice and working all the way....I struggled to get $800 out of it. On average it's nothing more then a $600 game.
John

John,

Another machine you and I have basically had the same experience with. I have owned several of these and can't wait to get each sold because they always seem to be a tough sell for me at any price. I have never purchased one by itself - they always come to me as part of "bulk" purchases so when I do get them it isn't by choice.

It is a shame Bally had some great art during those years but some of the gameplay was really bad. Another machine I can't keep is Nugent - love the backglass but hate lack of music and the gameplay

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

they always come to me as part of "bulk" purchases so when I do get them it isn't by choice.

That's the way mine came and it went to the auction house the following week.

#15 6 years ago

Wow I guess I did not realize it was such a disliked game. As far as the hot wheels...never really got into them as a kid, sorry.

#16 6 years ago

I think it's more of a nostalgic thing for people and they associate it with Tommy/Wizard so much....and it's the game they remember playing back in the day. I had one for years but I got it cheap along with a HH. The CF is long gone since I needed room but the HH remains.

John

#17 6 years ago

I got rid of both Wizard and CF as fast as I got them. No reason taking up valuable game space just to try to relive going to the Westminster mall in the 70s. I'll go down there and get a pretzel instead.

#18 6 years ago

I had a chance to get one recently for 750.00, perfect backglass and nice pf. Craigslist, first time sellers, it ended up selling and was relisted 2 weeks later for 1500 by the buyer. Even though it's not the greatest player in the world, I kinda wish I'd grabbed it for the nostalgia factor. In a 2 or 3 game collection, no, but if you have the room....

I'd value the game at 900, mostly because of the backglass and nostalgia factor, though you won't find many at that price.

#19 6 years ago

Just sold mine 3 weeks ago. It had a very nice playfield, great cabinet and a perfect backglass. $1900.00

#20 6 years ago

I offered him $1600 he said no, so I am moving on to something else.

#21 6 years ago

Good decision. You can get a lot of good ones you never played for half that much. And relive your dad's childhood instead.

#22 6 years ago

Yeah I'm kind of bummed out about it. Not much to chose from out here and I am. Not sure how I feel about having a used one shipped to me if I can find one I like.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Yeah I'm kind of bummed out about it.

Don't be bummed about it my friend, you can feel proud. You're new to Pinside, I assume you are also new to pinball and you just made a smart, veteran move. A smart move that is still lost on many people in this hobby. When to walk away.

Be patient and wait for the right deal. It may not seem like it right now, but you're off to a good start IMO.

#24 6 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement.

I guess what bums me out the most is, the more I look into the hobby, I see that it seems to be very similar to collector car market. (Not quite as extensive of course) Or I guess any hobby that you might be into.

You can't hardly find a fixer upper or older machine without it costing you and arm and a leg. I find a game that I might be interested in and the seller wants way too much for it. I look in the marketplace here on this site to what the going rate might be for a certain game and like I said seller wants too much. Maybe because he paid too much I don't know. I can't be the only one who feels this way, or maybe I am.

Any thoughts on that........( I'm sure someone will say get more $$)

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

the more I look into the hobby, I see that it seems to be very similar to collector car market.

Then here's your equivalent to Captain Fantastic 1976 car as far as fun factor is concerned.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#26 6 years ago

Hey I have a friend who has a fully restored AMC pacer. That's pretty funny!!

#27 6 years ago

AMCs were certainly all show and some go.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I look in the marketplace here on this site to what the going rate might be for a certain game and like I said seller wants too much. Maybe because he paid too much I don't know. I can't be the only one who feels this way, or maybe I am.

No, you're not alone. The last 4-5 years have seen this hobby grow at an amazing rate.

The Pinside marketplace I find to be on the high side price wise and a poor indicator in general. A better guide to prices in my opinion is Boston Pinball at this link: http://www.bostonpinball.biz/

Once there click on the "Ebay Sales Summary" at the top right. And keep in mind those prices have little to do with condition so you may need to add or subtract.

In addition to Craigslist there is also some Facebook groups where you might find some fair deals. Search Facebook for them and ask to be accepted into the group. You may even find one close to your area.
Here's a couple that I like.

Pinball Classified Ads
https://www.facebook.com/groups/669815773135120/

All Pinball Video Arcade Coin op Games
https://www.facebook.com/groups/275864809245632/

Good luck my friend. For some of us the hunt is the best part of this hobby.

#29 6 years ago

I have bought nearly all of my projects via Craigslist for one or two hundred bucks apiece. Seriously rough projects but that's what I like. I enjoy salvaging stuff that was given up for dead by their previous owners. Save a search for "pinball machine" on Craigslist with automatic email notifications for new results. Something will come up eventually. Be ready to pounce immediately when it does. In my neck of the woods waiting half an hour to call/email on an ad is too slow. Keep an open mind on titles. Three of my favorite machines came to me as total unknowns. I had no idea if I would like them since I had never played them and they were non-functional when I bought them. Good luck....

#30 6 years ago

Thanks for all the info. Wasn't aware you could save searches on Craigslist (duh) but now I do. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!!

#31 6 years ago

Good luck with the search. I am one with the others stating they see far less value in it... keep looking and dont ever buy a game that feels over priced to you! That never ends well.

Remember- the price you pay is your ENTRY point. I dont own a game that I have dumped less than several hundred in parts into it as I started to go through it- even a fully working excellent example. The lesson here is that if you start over priced it gets worse fast and then when you discover your bored and go to sell it... yikes- it becomes a “hobby” real fast and you spend far more than you ever make. Thats fine and expected- but with a little patience and control you can limit the bleeding

#32 6 years ago

You have decided against the CF. That's good. Your reason for wanting it was not so good. I am still a pinball newbie. Some of these guys' gray hair is dragging the floor and they make me look like I got a hair cut yesterday.

Here is what has worked for me for buying my pins and not getting a dud. I did not want to trap myself into overpaying for crap that it would mean taking a loss to get rid of it.

I kept watching You Tube videos. I camped out at Papa's website and watched tutorials and game play vids. Or I went to YouTube and looked for any vids of pin I thought was interested in. It took me almost two years to finally pull the trigger. Some of the pins I thought I would really like to have, in hind site, it is good that I did not buy them.

Sometimes the vids you can find are fun to watch while other vids are just poor quality trash.

If you find a pin vid you think you like, keep watching it for 10 or 15 times. If you get bored watching the video then owning that pin will probably not be much better.

Be willing and prepared to drive few miles when you find one you want to own.

What rufessor says about dumping an extra few hundred dollars in your new buy is so true. I have this big hole in the floor of my pinball room and every time I walk in there I am tossing another $20.00 bill into that hole. But I don't mind because I made some good choices.

Take your time. Start camping out at the PAPA videos.

#33 6 years ago

Well I think I have a line on another one. So we'll see if it pans out. Can't tell you what it is just yet, but if I get it I'll post some pics.

#34 6 years ago

Here's a pretty cherry looking CF that just popped up local on craigslist for $1695. Let's see how long it sits there.

inlandempire.craigslist.org link

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Probably not a good way to spend money, but what the heck. (I know what my wife would think about the whole idea) I think I will at least take the 2 hour drive to look at it.

Nothing wrong with that. When I step into my basement it's 1976 all over again.CF may not be the most exciting game, but the artwork is outstanding, and I find something new evertyime I stare at the backglass. I have mine right next to my wizard, another great looker, though not a great player. But then I have 25 games set up, so I have a lot of variety to keep things interesting.

#36 6 years ago

I may be in the minority here but I thought CF was a fun player. Yes there is a flipper too many but I enjoyed it and it spent a few years in my game room. I don’t think I’d spend close to 2k on it though.

2 years later
#37 3 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Why would you sell it for less than you have invested in it? Just curious.

probably because thats all its worth?

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Hope this helps.

If you ever decide on selling it I might be interested

#39 3 years ago

CF is a cool but easy game. I remember growing up on it. I wouldn't mind buying the game but not for what a lot of these people are asking. I have seen them online going at ridiculous prices, meaning $3-4K which is a joke and probably because the person selling is smoking crack or its a retail business. You can ask whatever you want for the game, but that doesn't mean its worth it. I would spend no more than maybe $1300-$1500 on one and it would have to be in pretty good condition. You get these people asking $4000 for this game and everyone else thinks theirs are worth it. If you are the seller you would think if they are worth that much the game would have sold.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.