4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Waldron1943
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 4 months ago

Man, it kills me to ask for help, but I'm a bit stuck. Bally Captain Fantastic, 1976 4-player commercial version. When I hit the start button it advances the "number of players" counter, resets the drop targets, runs the score motor, and then...nothing. I don't hear the score reels resetting, and the ball doesn't pop out. The "Game Over" light stays on the whole time. I'm sure there are some dirty/mis-adjusted contacts somewhere, I'm just not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated; thanks in advance.

#2 4 months ago

The first thing I would check is the game over relay. On this machine, the game over relay is a latch-trip unit, with two coils. The latch coil pulls in the relay armature to assert the switches of the relay. When the relay pulls in, there is a latching plate that drops into place via spring pressure to keep the armature in the asserted position. In this way, the relay can be permanently set to the asserted state with just a short pulse to the latch coil. The latching plate itself can be pulled in by the other coil of the relay (the trip coil), which releases the armature and allows it to go back to the non-asserted state via spring pressure.

The game over relay is supposed to latch via a short pulse to the latch coil on game start. If this relay doesn't successfully latch, you'll get the symptoms you are seeing. Often times the latching mechanism itself is dirty and needs to be cleaned and adjusted. Sometimes the spring on the latching plate has gotten too weak to put the latching plate into position on game start. And, sometimes the latching assembly (latching plate and trip coil) is out of adjustment and the entire assembly needs to be moved slightly to get things working again. Another somewhat common issue is that the inside face of the latching plate has gotten gummed up and /or slightly magnetized such that it is sticking to the center pole piece of the trip coil, preventing the game over relay from latching.

If the mechanical operation of the relay seems OK, but the game over relay is not latching on game start, then you'll want to look at the switches in the circuit that pulse the latch coil on game start, because there is probably a switch in that circuit that is dirty and/or out of adjustment.

There are other issues that can cause the symptom you are seeing, but this is probably the most common one, so it's a good place to start troubleshooting.

- TimMe

#3 4 months ago

Waldon I feel your pain, just spent that past week bringing my CF pin back from the dead, Check out my thread on the subject below. For my game it was mostly dirty switches and relays. Biggest learning curve was tracing the logic on the schematic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-help-with-bally-start-up-sequence#post-6332236

#4 4 months ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It turned out to be one of the option plugs; I gave them all a twisting and it went through the startup sequence. I noticed power to the game over relay went through at least one, so I figured that would be a simple check, et voila! I still have a ton of work to do, but at least I'm un-stuck. Did I mention...thank you?

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside