Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Da-Shaker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 4 years ago

New project.

I have a Captain Fantastic that has a bunch or problems, the first thing I want to tackle is that when you hit the Start button, the game automatically advances to ball 2. I've checked the schems and I can't find a switch the is not set properly. Suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Alan

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

and I can't find a switch the is not set properly

I have no idea what you mean by that.

Quoted from Alan_L:

the game automatically advances to ball 2

What's the Ball Index relay doing when this happens?

#4 4 years ago

Does the ball count reset to ball one and then jump to ball 2? You can watch the ball count unit and also watch the backglass to see if ball 1 illuminates and then jumps to ball 2.

This will help determine if the ball advance coil is getting pulsed to advance to ball 2 or if it is a mechanical reset issue.

I don't have a Captain, but other Bally machines of this age if you need reference photos.

#5 4 years ago

Sorry, Howard, forgot to proofread, should read: "that" is not set properly. All N/O and N/C switches are adjusted as per schematics.

Yes, Dave, it resets to one and then jumps to 2. Something is pulsing the Ball Count Unit step-up coil one time and I can't figure out why.

#6 4 years ago

Hi Alan. I purchased a few small items from you at the York show.

I'm between sports practices for the kids. I don't have easy access to schematics. Something is making that ball count coil fire. You have to look at the signals that feed the coil and the associated relay (I believe it has a relay from memory).

Does it increment incorrectly when ball 2 drains? Meaning does it jump past 3 and go to 4?

#7 4 years ago

Hi Dave, thanks for the sale.

I just fixed the first problem: there was a broken wire on the Coin Unit, I soldered it back on and now the game starts at ball 1.

Next up, both the Outhole coil and the Player One 1,000's coil lock on at game start. If I remove the 20-plug Jones plug on the bottom panel, they release, so the problem is not in the head.

#8 4 years ago

Good find.

You must have switches stuck closed or something shorting together.

Look at your 1000 point targets first.

2 years later
#9 1 year ago

Thanks for this forum. I had the same problem and this fixed it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-starts-on-ball-2-1?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.