View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Capture2 (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
Pinball (resized).png
Capture (resized).PNG
Pinball (resized).png

#1 4 years ago

I have a Captain Fantastic that resets all score reels when starting a game, but it starts on ball 2. The Ball Count Unit is clean but you can see where the finger goes to ball 2 position when I start a game. Any thoughts?

Al

#2 4 years ago

Does the Ball Count unit reset to ball 1 and then step up to ball 2? Or does it only reset to ball 2?

#3 4 years ago

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the reply.

It resets to ball one and then steps up to ball two when pressing the Start button.

#4 4 years ago

Did you make any adjustments on the BCU?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

It resets to ball one and then steps up to ball two when pressing the Start button.

This switch on the Ball Index relay should keep that from happening. What are the Ball Index relay and that switch doing?

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

This switch on the Ball Index relay should keep that from happening. What are the Ball Index relay and that switch doing?

I'll check it out in the morning and let you know. Thanks.

#8 4 years ago

OK, on power up that switch is open, but when the Start button is pressed, the Ball Index relay locks on. As the resetting cycle starts the Ball In Play lights say ball one then jump to ball two without a ball in the trough. With a ball in the trough, the lights go right from ball one, to ball two, to ball three, to Game Over without stopping. Also, when pressing the Start button to add multiple players, the Players Can Play lights remain at one.
And I just noticed this by accident, when you activate the Tilt relay manually, the game scores 1,000 points. That really has me confused.

#9 4 years ago

Check the score motor switches mentioned here:

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

when the Start button is pressed, the Ball Index relay locks on

One of these 4 switches is activating the Ball Index relay when it shouldn't, probably the 1000 point relay.

#11 4 years ago

Just checked all four of those switches, there was one on the 1000 pt relay that was close, so I opened it up a little more. But because of a new issue, I can't check to see if that helped.

The outhole kicker coil was not wired up when I bought the machine and the coil was somewhat burnt and ohms were a little high. I just got a new one in and hooked it up. It locks up on power up, don't even have to start a game. I checked all the switches on the Outhole relay, all are adjusted properly. Should I just clip the Outhole coil ground wire so we can address this other problem? I bought this "not working" and it looks like the previous owner tried to fix it and gave up and sold it. I'm not givin' up.

As for the various Score Motor switches, I don't want to go messing around with that thing if it's not necessary.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

As for the various Score Motor switches, I don't want to go messing around with that thing if it's not necessary.

They're a crucial part of start up, and Bally games in particular have problems with them. Since you're on Outhole, re-read 3A in post 9.

#13 4 years ago

Ok, it looks like I need to take a look at a NC switch on the number 1 and 8 cams of the Score Motor. Because the outhole coil starts cooking at power up, should I clip the ground wire so I can see if these switches open and close properly?

And how do I tell which switch in the stack I should be looking at?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

I bought this "not working" and it looks like the previous owner tried to fix it and gave up and sold it. I'm not givin' up.

Persistence will pay off.

Quoted from Alan_L:

The outhole kicker coil was not wired up when I bought the machine and the coil was somewhat burnt and ohms were a little high. I just got a new one in and hooked it up. It locks up on power up, don't even have to start a game

What's the Outhole Relay doing when this happens?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Absolutely nothing! It doesn't move a hair. Even if I engage it manually, it just releases right away.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

And how do I tell which switch in the stack I should be looking at?

The cams should be numbered and lettering starts at the bottom. It looks like 8A is involved as well as the one leading to the Outhole relay and it looks like 1A and/or 1C.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNGCapture2 (resized).PNGCapture2 (resized).PNG
#17 4 years ago

For what it's worth, on some repairs I have highlighted all the score motor switches on the schematic and then start checking them at the score motor and switch stacks. If it is NO [normally open] or NC [normally closed] make sure physically that is correct.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

It locks up on power up, don't even have to start a game. I checked all the switches on the Outhole relay, all are adjusted properly.

Quoted from HowardR:

Quoted from Alan_L:

Absolutely nothing! It doesn't move a hair. Even if I engage it manually, it just releases right away.

If there's a visible gap between the contact points on this switch and the Outhole Kicker solenoid is locked on, see what happens if you temporarily unsolder the wires to this switch on the Outhole relay.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/captain-fantastic-starts-on-ball-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.