Captain Fantastic start button help please.

(Topic ID: 221919)

Captain Fantastic start button help please.

By crujones4life

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by crujones4life
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png

#1 6 months ago

I have a Captain Fantastic I am working on. When I bought it it did nothing. After much cleaning and a couple adjustments this is where I am at. Start button is intermittent but if I start a game ... when the game over relay releases (sometimes on it's own sometimes not) the 100 point relay is instantly and constantly energized (pulled in) as well as player 1 hundreds reel. Does not keep scoring...scores maybe once and stays pulled in. The switches on the player 1 hundreds reel as well as the 100 point relay look good. I could not find any switches closed on the playfield. What should I be looking at?

Also flippers and pops do not work, no score switches work. All lights are on.

#2 6 months ago

So I just put some paper in between 100 point relay contacts...then released game over relay...now playfield score switches are working and scoring (except 100s of course). Pops and slings work. Flippers still do not. Outhole switch does not.

#3 6 months ago

Start by picking one symptom and work on that. Here's the list from your first post.

Quoted from crujones4life:

Start button is intermittent

when the game over relay releases (sometimes on it's own sometimes not) the 100 point relay is instantly and constantly energized

flippers and pops do not work, no score switches work

For the first symptom, here's the circuit to inspect and diagnose with Alligator clip jumper wires.

By the way, the schematic from IPDB is marginal. Can somebody get me a better PDF copy?

Pinball (resized).png
#4 6 months ago

PM sent.

#5 6 months ago

I didn't get anything...

Oh you prob sent PDF to Howard I imagine...lol

Can you send to me too?

#6 6 months ago

I didn't get anything...
Oh you prob sent PDF to Howard I imagine...lol
Can you send to me too?

Thanks, oldpins for responding to my request and sending me the schematic. Unfortunately the schematic you have is exactly the same as on IPDB, here:
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=438
along with the manual and other game documents

1 month later
#7 5 months ago

Edited the topic to focus on start button issue. So triggering either coin door micro switch will start the reset sequence and start a game. Pressing the start button itself does nothing. So what should I be looking at?

#8 5 months ago

Pressing the start button itself does nothing

If the Credit button doesn't activate the Credit relay, inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).png
#9 5 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If the Credit button doesn't activate the Credit relay, inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.
[quoted image]

Hi Howard! I spent lots of time looking over this the other night...what is in between the start button (where nothing happens) and the coin door micro switches (where game resets and plays)? Is it just wiring? Or does the wiring go to some other place from start button then back to micro switches?

#10 5 months ago

what is in between the start button (where nothing happens) and the coin door micro switches

In between there's a switch on the motor and one on the Reset relay.

But that doesn't matter.

Do you know how to use Alligator clip jumper wires?
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

#11 5 months ago

Yeah so (not so) funny story. Today my daughter drove through the garage door (now ruined) and hit the pinball machine. The start button works now! Lol...tried several times and it worked every time...I was in the car with her when it happened...scary but she is ok and that is all that matters to me.

1 week later
#12 5 months ago

Well the start button stopped working again. Guess it's somewhat intermittent. This is giving me a lot of trouble. Blew another fuse trying jumper wires. Thought I understood after Howard helped me out...guess not...lol.

#13 5 months ago

Never mind on this one for now guys...didn't have any credits! Doh!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 21.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 14.00
$ 64.00
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 89.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 109.99
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 129.25
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside